Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

5/22/2018  12:10 PM
Chandler wrote:
Mike1989 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:This has a nice run down of the draft:

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?view=deep

Also read this:

Don't see it happening at all (Clips should stay put, they'll end up with 2 nice players), but what do people think of Lonnie Walker?

(I didn't realise draft Express sometimes still do vids on youtube!)

The Clippers desire to trade up would depend on them falling in love with a prospect that won't make it to 12 and would make them want to give up two selections in order to take just one guy. Currently they have Lou Williams, Danilo Gallinari and Sindarius Thornwell contracted beyond next season, so perhaps adding two guys would be better than adding one guy, but it really depends on the player available at #9. They could think adding Mikal Bridges to their starting line up would make them better because they can slot him in at SG with Harris at SF and Gallo at PF, or they could replace Jordan with Carter, or if Sexton/Young are on the board they might want that flashy point guard prospect. It wouldn't surprise me if they really wanted one rather than two but I'm not convinced the jump would be in their best interest.

As for Lonnie Walker, he is not my favorite shooting guard prospect. I would not want him at #9 but if we did trade back with the Clippers then I would be fine with seeing him picked at 12/13, but I do prefer Zhaire Smith and Khyri Thomas.

the other day I think it was Bleacher report stating that Knicks are in love with Trae. I'm hoping that's some sort of smokescreen

Perhaps Clips are looking for their next pg of the future and if Trae or Sexton is there we can have a trade

I hope so too. Want nothing to do with Trae if Mikal etc. are available.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Member: #6197

5/22/2018  12:15 PM
Starting to come around to thinking that at 9 we want more than a 3-D guy who can contribute. Somehow seems like we're selling the 9 slot way short unless the D is at an elite level

if that's what we're fixated on we should move back for more picks

(5)(5)
Mike1989
Member: #8627

5/22/2018  12:53 PM
Chandler wrote:Starting to come around to thinking that at 9 we want more than a 3-D guy who can contribute. Somehow seems like we're selling the 9 slot way short unless the D is at an elite level

if that's what we're fixated on we should move back for more picks

I don't think we are heading into the draft with the intention of drafting a 3-and-D guy. What people see in Mikal Bridges is a high floor 3-and-D guy like a Danny Green or Otto Porter, so he is as safe a pick as you are going to get in any draft class really when you look outside the top prospects. But the thing to keep in mind with Mikal is that he still does offer a lot of upside if the offensive side of his game develops and becomes more expansive. I don't think anyone saw Kawhi Leonard being a potential MVP candidate back when he was coming out of San Diego State, they saw a high floor 3-and-D guy, but he worked hard and has developed into something special. Maybe Mikal can do the same? If he does that is great news, but if he doesn't we will have a high floor 3-and-D guy on our hands that can start SG or SF for the next decade.

I would rather gamble on Mikal Bridges than Kevin Knox. For instance Kevin Knox is a superior athlete to Mikal and possesses far more upside, but the problem with Knox is that he is raw and offers a lower floor than Mikal because Knox is not a consistent shooter and doesn't bring the same level of intensity and skill on the defensive end. So while Knox is a higher upside selection, he is also a fair riskier draft pick because he doesn't bring the same safety net. If Mikal Bridges never becomes anything more than a good 3-and-D guy that has significant value because those glue guys are invaluable, but if he becomes more than that then you've probably won the draft class. With Knox if he never puts it together he will join the vast number of raw high upside athletes on the scrap heap.

Like I said, I don't think we'd pigeon hole Mikal into 3-and-D territory or go into the draft aiming for that kind of player. We'll want more than that, however if we are faced with a choice between Mikal and Carter (i.e. high floor options) versus raw athletes with potentially more upside, I know which player I would rather see the Knicks pick.

codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
5/22/2018  2:50 PM

Also read this:

Don't see it happening at all (Clips should stay put, they'll end up with 2 nice players), but what do people think of Lonnie Walker?

The top 4 at number 9 I posted in this thread a few months ago are unchanged.
1. Trae Young, 2. Lonnie Walker, 3. Mikal Bridges and 4. Wendell Carter. Interesting that reports from the past 2 days have focused on the Knicks interest in the first 2. I don’t believe these are smokescreens - they are the best picks available from what is projected at number 9, and probably even higher in the draft.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
reub
Member: #6227

5/22/2018  4:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/22/2018  4:53 PM
codeunknown wrote:

Also read this:

1. Trae Young, 2. Lonnie Walker, 3. Mikal Bridges and 4. Wendell Carter. Interesting that reports from the past 2 days have focused on the Knicks interest in the first 2. I don’t believe these are smokescreens - they are the best picks available from what is projected at number 9, and probably even higher in the draft.

Trae Young will be a sieve on defense. Lonnie Walker shot 41% last year in college. How many guards do we need?
Let's take a forward with more talent like Mikal, Porter, Carter or Miles.
P.S. If I were looking at guards it would be at Collin Sexton. He's dynamic and has a 6'7.25" wingspan. I like Sexton.

codeunknown
Member: #704
5/22/2018  9:09 PM
reub wrote:
codeunknown wrote:

Also read this:

Trae Young will be a sieve on defense. Lonnie Walker shot 41% last year in college. How many guards do we need?
Let's take a forward with more talent like Mikal, Porter, Carter or Miles.
P.S. If I were looking at guards it would be at Collin Sexton. He's dynamic and has a 6'7.25" wingspan. I like Sexton.

I disagree with the vast majority of what you said. Collin Sexton is the by far the least intriguing of the bunch and a scoring guard who can’t shoot or pass well, with average athleticism, is a waste of a pick. The forwards you discussed are all lower potential, except Porter, who I doubt lasts until 9.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
5/22/2018  9:21 PM
While I prefer Mikal Bridges or a forward the Knick scouts like... I do think Sexton is going to be a solid pro - he's tenacious, plays defense and reminds me of a penetrating Patrick Beverly. If the other forwards are off the board, I wouldn't be shocked (or upset) if the Knicks picked him. Remember Perry saying they want toughness - he's probably the toughest of the available point guards.
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/23/2018  3:14 AM
Thoughts on Kevin Knox? Haven't watched him play, but his shooting form looks horrific in the highlights vids, and his dribbling and handle look pretty bad in the workout vid:

smackeddog
5/23/2018  11:38 AM
I'm also still interested in Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (to play alongside Frank, not to replace him):

BigDaddyG
Member: #3049

5/23/2018  11:54 AM
smackeddog wrote:I'm also still interested in Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (to play alongside Frank, not to replace him):

Shai is another project combo guard. We need to figure out what to do with the ones we already have.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
5/23/2018  12:32 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I'm also still interested in Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (to play alongside Frank, not to replace him):

Shai is another project combo guard. We need to figure out what to do with the ones we already have.

Don't let the presence of Mudiay fool you. If we drafted SGA, my lineup would be thus:

Starting backcourt: SGA & Frank. Tim Jr is sixth man, splitting time between SG and SF. Trey Burke is also a bench player, splitting time between PG & SG

meloshouldgo

5/23/2018  1:10 PM
smackeddog wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Don't let the presence of Mudiay fool you. If we drafted SGA, my lineup would be thus:

Starting backcourt: SGA & Frank. Tim Jr is sixth man, splitting time between SG and SF. Trey Burke is also a bench player, splitting time between PG & SG

I would sign up for that.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/23/2018  3:55 PM
smackeddog wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I have been high on SGA for awhile

• Shai Gilgeous-Alexander posted perhaps the most impressive measurements of any guard at this year's combine, standing 6-6 in shoes with a 6-11½ wingspan and 180-pound frame. Like Knox's numbers, Gilgeous-Alexander's dimensions line up nicely with the ones he posted last fall. The Canadian point guard's size puts him in rare company at his position, stacking up relatively well to Shaun Livingston, who measured 6-7½ in shoes with a 6-11 wingspan and a 186-pound frame at the 2004 pre-draft camp. Gilgeous-Alexander's 3 percent body fat is the lowest ever recorded, and his 6-11½ wingspan is third-longest ever by a point guard prospect at the combine.

Some might see SGA/Frank as redundant. I do not and would love to add SGA in the mix. If we rated him higher than Bridges from Nova I would have no problem or hesitation to bring in SGA. I think if he and Bridges were essentially even I would go with the position of need, but ONLY if they test out really really close.

Perry has repeatedly said they are in the "talent acquisition" phase and are focused on the BPA first and need after that

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
meloshouldgo

5/23/2018  4:52 PM
I think SGA and Frank in the backcourt will be rally good combination for years.
If there's an opportunity to trade up to the second pick, do that. Otherwise I would really look into trading with the Clips.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/23/2018  5:40 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

I agree. Also, heard Vecenie say that he thought Frank was the better prospect of the two. The Knicks have lots of needs.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
5/24/2018  12:17 AM
Rumor has it Bulls gave Hutchinson a promise at 22. Which could mean they go big man at 7.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

5/24/2018  1:49 AM
reub wrote:Trae Young will be a sieve on defense.

He has plus range and that will space the floor. He can create his own shot. His shooting mechanic are very good.

He won't see the same kind of looks/get the same number of shots at the NBA level. He will be going up against better and more athletic defenders.

What are the goals?

If the goals is to create a fun team to watch who has no chance to ever contend, then Young can be useful. If the goal is to win a championship, then someone like Young can end up pushing you into the league treadmill. Interesting regular season guy ( maybe) but too much in terms of tradeoffs to help long term.

He gets Steph Curry comparisons but the problem is when you are reliant on your long range shooting for value, you really need to offer consistent historic level shooting to make an impact. Young will end up like most shooters, a streak shooter. His shot selection is not that great. He can shoot you into a game, then shoot you out of it. Which is fine if he offered more upside in other areas. He does not. Curry was a much more fundamentally sound player at the same level/stage of development.

I think Mikal Bridges will be gone before 9. Unfortunate for the Knicks, I just think his wing value is going to push him up the board.

smackeddog
5/24/2018  3:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2018  11:50 AM
Lonnie Walker looking great in this work out vid:

I know, I know, so did Grant when we drafted him, but can anyone give a good breakdown of him?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/24/2018  10:00 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:Rumor has it Bulls gave Hutchinson a promise at 22. Which could mean they go big man at 7.

Interesting... then Carter.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/24/2018  10:13 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
reub wrote:Trae Young will be a sieve on defense.

He has plus range and that will space the floor. He can create his own shot. His shooting mechanic are very good.

He won't see the same kind of looks/get the same number of shots at the NBA level. He will be going up against better and more athletic defenders.

What are the goals?

If the goals is to create a fun team to watch who has no chance to ever contend, then Young can be useful. If the goal is to win a championship, then someone like Young can end up pushing you into the league treadmill. Interesting regular season guy ( maybe) but too much in terms of tradeoffs to help long term.

He gets Steph Curry comparisons but the problem is when you are reliant on your long range shooting for value, you really need to offer consistent historic level shooting to make an impact. Young will end up like most shooters, a streak shooter. His shot selection is not that great. He can shoot you into a game, then shoot you out of it. Which is fine if he offered more upside in other areas. He does not. Curry was a much more fundamentally sound player at the same level/stage of development.

I think Mikal Bridges will be gone before 9. Unfortunate for the Knicks, I just think his wing value is going to push him up the board.

Feel like the same could be said about Isaiah Thomas but it worked for Boston as a stepping stone.

If Mikal goes before 9 with the possibility that Trae does too, someone falls. And if he does, moving back may be a realistic option

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy