[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
5/16/2018  4:50 PM
So looking at most of the mocks and some of the news stories, it seems the draft is looking like this:

1. Suns: Ayton
2. Kings: Doncic
3. Hawks: Bagely

Those three seem set (maybe the sequence will be slightly different)

4. Griz: here's a tricky one, they don't really need a defensive pf/c like Jackson or Bamba. Porter makes sense if his back is okay

5. Mavs: probably Jackson Jr
6. Magic: Trae Young
7. Bulls: again uncertain. I think maybe Mikal, but they could go for any available out of Bamba or Carter
8. Cavs: I think they go for Sexton kfront court doesn't make sense as they have a bit of a glut there. Maybe Porter if available

9. Knicks: so we should have a shot at whichever make it here out of Bamba and Porter (both very unlikely), Carter, Mikal, Sexton.

AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/16/2018  4:55 PM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:I wonder if Perry likes Sexton.
“I would caution just a little bit is that it all depends on who’s available when we get ready to select and how we have them tiered,’’ Perry said on ESPN Radio. “If there’s someone down there at a position you think you’re more strong at, but the player is clearly a better talent than the position of need, then you have that question: Do you go ahead and take the greater talent and then you utilize trades and free agency to bolster the position you need help, being small forward?”

Keep hearing Sexton's name come up in regards to the Knicks. I think Perry really wants a franchise point guard and he might go for Sexton if he is there at 9.

Franchise PG? Where did you get inclination?

“If there’s someone down there at a position you think you’re more strong at, but the player is clearly a better talent than the position of need, then you have that question: Do you go ahead and take the greater talent and then you utilize trades and free agency to bolster the position you need help, being small forward?”

I take that as if the right point guard or big is there the Knicks aren't drafting a small forward. Also, since the Melo trade Perry has brought in 4 players and 3 were point guards. Begley and others have talked about Sexton being in the mix for the Knicks at 9 if he is available.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
5/16/2018  5:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/16/2018  5:07 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Young is going to the Magic, Sexton is going to the Cavs. Book it.

Bulls will go with one of the Bridges. They have Lopez, Lauri & Portis with Dunn & Lavine. They will look for a SF. Probably Mikal.

Bamba & or Carter will be there at 9.

Man, I would love for the Knicks to be in the position to choose from Bamba and/or Carter if those 2 are indeed higher talent that the Knicks like. Feel like they need a big and a SF going forward.

Don't count out the Bulls though just because they have Lopez on the roster, he only has a year left and either Bamba/Carter would fit nicely next to Lauri. Portis doesn't seem like a starter.

I would be delighted if Bamba fell to us, and quite pleased if Carter or Porter did. I don't see it happening as I think the Mavs might go for Bamba. I think these playoffs will improve Carter's stock, just because of the comparisons with Horford.

I like Mikal Bridges, but I wouldn't get excited about adding him.

The question is what teams need centers? Would Magic draft a center with Vooch and Byiambo on the books with a clear need at PG. Would Bulls with the pieces they already have? Would Cavs with Thompson and Love on the books with a clear need for a playmaker ball handler to relieve Lebron in some capacity or if Bron leave a playmaker with the ball to hand the keys over to?

Where Mavs pick they have a shot at Porter or Jackson so if Bamba or Carter goes in that spot then both those players are available in that 6-8 range. Porter, Jackson, Carter, Young, Sexton, Mikal are all there at 6. Magic would probably draft for the Bulls and do a Porter for Young swap while picking up an extra asset or they decide to let Gordan walk or S&T. Bulls would ha e to choose between Jackson, Carter, Mikal, Miles, Young....

Edit Jackson wouldn't be there at 6 in this scenario. He would have gone 4th.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CrushAlot
USA
5/16/2018  6:32 PM
Saw this in the posting and toasting article.
blkexec
Member: #748
5/16/2018  7:20 PM
smackeddog wrote:So looking at most of the mocks and some of the news stories, it seems the draft is looking like this:

1. Suns: Ayton
2. Kings: Doncic
3. Hawks: Bagely

Those three seem set (maybe the sequence will be slightly different)

4. Griz: here's a tricky one, they don't really need a defensive pf/c like Jackson or Bamba. Porter makes sense if his back is okay

5. Mavs: probably Jackson Jr
6. Magic: Trae Young
7. Bulls: again uncertain. I think maybe Mikal, but they could go for any available out of Bamba or Carter
8. Cavs: I think they go for Sexton kfront court doesn't make sense as they have a bit of a glut there. Maybe Porter if available

9. Knicks: so we should have a shot at whichever make it here out of Bamba and Porter (both very unlikely), Carter, Mikal, Sexton.

Based on my assessment, I was thinking Mikal, Sexton should be there. Long shots are Porter and Young.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/16/2018  9:51 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:I wonder if Perry likes Sexton.
“I would caution just a little bit is that it all depends on who’s available when we get ready to select and how we have them tiered,’’ Perry said on ESPN Radio. “If there’s someone down there at a position you think you’re more strong at, but the player is clearly a better talent than the position of need, then you have that question: Do you go ahead and take the greater talent and then you utilize trades and free agency to bolster the position you need help, being small forward?”

Keep hearing Sexton's name come up in regards to the Knicks. I think Perry really wants a franchise point guard and he might go for Sexton if he is there at 9.

Franchise PG? Where did you get inclination?

“If there’s someone down there at a position you think you’re more strong at, but the player is clearly a better talent than the position of need, then you have that question: Do you go ahead and take the greater talent and then you utilize trades and free agency to bolster the position you need help, being small forward?”

I take that as if the right point guard or big is there the Knicks aren't drafting a small forward. Also, since the Melo trade Perry has brought in 4 players and 3 were point guards. Begley and others have talked about Sexton being in the mix for the Knicks at 9 if he is available.

That's an odd take. Could mean: if a high talent C, PF, SF, PG were there, we will take and maybe trade for a SF if we need. Knicks do have a bunch of PGs, lots of SGs too.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Mike1989
Member: #8627

5/17/2018  6:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2018  6:55 AM
So found this on NBA.com where they have compiled recent mock drafts:

ESPN, Jonathan Givony
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Jackson, 5. Bamba, 6. Young, 7. Carter, 8. Porter, 9. Sexton

Ringer
- 1. Doncic, 2. Ayton, 3. Jackson, 4. Bamba, 5. Porter, 6. Bagley, 7. Miles Bridges, 8. Mikal Bridges, 9.Young

NBAdraft.net
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Jackson, 5. Porter, 6. Carter, 7. Young, 8. Bamba, 9. Mikal Bridges

SI.com, Jeremy Woo
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Jackson, 4. Bagley, 5. Bamba, 6. Carter, 7. Porter, 8. Young, 9. Mikal Bridges

USA Today
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Jackson, 5. Bamba, 6. Porter, 7. Young, 8. Carter, 9. Sexton

SB Nation
- 1. Doncic, 2. Ayton, 3. Jackson, 4. Bagley, 5. Porter, 6. Young, 7. Bamba, 8. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, 9. Carter

Bleacher Report, Jonathan Wasserman
- 1. Doncic, 2. Ayton, 3. Bagley, 4. Jackson, 5. Bamba, 6. Young, 7. Mikal Bridges, 8. Porter, 9. Miles Bridges

Net Scouts, Carl Berman
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Jackson, 5. Bamba, 6. Carter, 7. Porter, 8. Young, 9. Sexton

CBS Sports, Gary Parrish
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Porter, 5. Jackson, 6. Young, 7. Bamba, 8. Sexton, 9. Carter

Basketball Insiders, Steve Kyler
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Porter, 5. Jackson, 6. Young, 7. Bamba, 8. Mikal Bridges, 9. Carter

Our picks
- Most mocked: Carter / Sexton, 3 times each

I would have no issue with us selecting either player. Carter can slot in next to a healthy KP and with this position-less basketball we intend to play, they can switch assignments depending on match ups, both players should also compliment each other pretty well. As for Sexton I am not totally sold on him but he is a decent prospect with a high ceiling if he puts everything together, if he doesn't he'll be like Elfrid Payton. In five of the six mocks Mikal Bridges was still available for selection, and in the other he went off the board the pick before us. So if the picks fall in this manner we would be passing on Mikal in favor of Sexton or Carter, now I'd have no issue with going for Carter over Mikal, but I would rather see us pick Mikal over Sexton.

Looking at these mock on two occasions we just missed out on Michael Porter (ESPN and Bleacher Report) and Trae Young (SI and Net Scouts), and on one occasion we just missed on Mohamed Bamba (NBAdraft.net). If that happened it would be somewhat annoying, but it does show the potential for one of the top prospects to potentially fall to us if the picks fall in this manner. All it takes in those mocks is for Cleveland to fall in love with Sexton or Mikal Bridges and we can land Porter, Young or Bamba. If that occurred we should be very happy because any of that trio would be an ideal fit for this team - especially Porter.

---

One further mock draft comes from sacbee.com
- 1. Ayton, 2. Doncic, 3. Bagley, 4. Porter, 5. Jackson, 6. Young, 7. Carter, 8. Sexton, 9.Bamba

In this mock we get one of the top prospects that falls because Chicago and Cleveland take Carter and Sexton respectively. If the picks fall in this manner I would be very happy to see us get Bamba 9th overall because he could be an excellent fit next to KP. The thing I like about Bamba is that he should offer a pretty safe floor on the defensive end if the offensive end doesn't come together because he should be able to block shots and rebound at a good rate. However, if the offensive end does come along and he can start to shoot and score, then his upside is really high.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/17/2018  10:30 AM
I don't want to take Trae Young and have Clyde describe his "Lilliputian like stature" every other game!
Cartman718
Member: #1694

5/17/2018  11:01 AM
What about Kevin Knox?
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718
Member: #1694

5/17/2018  11:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2018  11:14 AM
https://hoopshype.com/2018/05/16/rawle-alkins-nba-draft-prospects-arizona-combine-scouting-report/
will he be available in the 2nd round at 36. lance stephenson was the comparison in the article...i would love an athlete like that on this team at guard.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Mike1989

5/17/2018  11:13 AM
Cartman718 wrote:What about Kevin Knox?

Boom or bust. There's no question he's talented and got a ton of upside, but I see him having a low floor if his game doesn't improve or translate to the NBA. I wouldn't be against it at 9, but I think we'll have better options. He'd certainly be on the cards if we moved back with the Clippers for 12 and 13.

JesseDark
Member: #467
5/17/2018  12:26 PM
If Sexton grades the highest in their evaluations they should take him. I am remembering Portland not taking Michael Jordan cause they already had Clyde Drexler.
Bring back dee-fense
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
5/17/2018  1:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2018  1:56 PM
sexton is our guy.

try burke, hardaway and mudiay should not dissuade us from taking sexton.

EDIT: Scratch that. I just watched Mo Bamba on youtube. Now we just need to pray he falls to us.

ANOTHER EDIT: Nope. Wendell Carter got the look. Just watched his highlights. We need Carter.

dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

5/17/2018  3:16 PM
Doncic SATs he might stay in Europe think kp recuitibg him?? Lol
CrushAlot
USA
5/17/2018  4:15 PM
CrushAlot
USA
5/17/2018  4:15 PM
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/17/2018  5:26 PM
dacash wrote:Doncic SATs he might stay in Europe think kp recuitibg him?? Lol

I think Doncic can only use his leverage for one or two drafting spots- a lot of teams will be fine waiting a few years as it just means they likely get another high pick next year or two while they wait- sixers have shown how beneficial it can be.

Mike1989

5/17/2018  5:52 PM
smackeddog wrote:
dacash wrote:Doncic SATs he might stay in Europe think kp recuitibg him?? Lol

I think Doncic can only use his leverage for one or two drafting spots- a lot of teams will be fine waiting a few years as it just means they likely get another high pick next year or two while they wait- sixers have shown how beneficial it can be.

Agreed, but at the same time a number of the teams at the top of the draft will look at Ayton, Jackson, Bamba, Porter, Bagley, and Young and see high upside talent that can help them day one albeit to varying degrees. I don't see six teams passing on Doncic, but it does come down to whether the teams at the top of the draft are willing to wait for Doncic to come over. I think the most likely teams to stash him would be Memphis because they'll back themselves to bounce back next year with Conley, Parsons and Gasol; and Orlando who can afford to stash him with the amount of young talent they have on their roster. With that said I think he goes top two.

CrushAlot
USA
5/17/2018  6:52 PM
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

5/17/2018  6:59 PM
anrst wrote:sexton is our guy.

try burke, hardaway and mudiay should not dissuade us from taking sexton.

EDIT: Scratch that. I just watched Mo Bamba on youtube. Now we just need to pray he falls to us.

ANOTHER EDIT: Nope. Wendell Carter got the look. Just watched his highlights. We need Carter.

Are you related to Briggs?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy