[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread
Author Thread
Mike1989
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8627

5/13/2018  4:18 AM
smackeddog wrote:Looking at the standings, I'm still mad that we could have been at the 6th spot instead of way back at the 9th if we hadn't gone for those 2 stupid wins. Now we have no shot of moving up to the top 3.

Finishing 6th would have improved our odds, but there's no guarantee that the player that goes 6 will be better than 9. After all Donovan Mitchell went 13th last year. Other classes have featured franchise changing talent outside the top half dozen picks. So picking high doesn't mean you'll get a better player all the time.

Also, teams have made big jumps in the past. Chicago won the lottery from 9th in 2008 and the Cavs jumped from 9th in 2014. Hell the Magic jumped from 13th to 1993. So upsets do happen in the lottery and maybe this will be our year to have an upset, or at least move up. If not we'll still get a good player at 9.

AUTOADVERT
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

5/13/2018  1:09 PM
Shamorie ponds now guard from st John's worked out too
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/13/2018  5:56 PM
dacash wrote:Shamorie ponds now guard from st John's worked out too

I like Shamorie, but I'm not sure he's ready yet. The team he played for was so dysfunctional last year that it's tough to determine where he stands as a prospect.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
90sKnicks
Member: #6452

5/13/2018  10:13 PM
Mike1989 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Looking at the standings, I'm still mad that we could have been at the 6th spot instead of way back at the 9th if we hadn't gone for those 2 stupid wins. Now we have no shot of moving up to the top 3.

Finishing 6th would have improved our odds, but there's no guarantee that the player that goes 6 will be better than 9. After all Donovan Mitchell went 13th last year. Other classes have featured franchise changing talent outside the top half dozen picks. So picking high doesn't mean you'll get a better player all the time.

Also, teams have made big jumps in the past. Chicago won the lottery from 9th in 2008 and the Cavs jumped from 9th in 2014. Hell the Magic jumped from 13th to 1993. So upsets do happen in the lottery and maybe this will be our year to have an upset, or at least move up. If not we'll still get a good player at 9.

Come on, we're the Knicks...we'll likely fall in he lottery from 9 to 10 or 11. I'd be okay with getting the ninth pick but will be pissed when a team that won more games than us passes us and moves into the top 3

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

5/14/2018  12:13 PM
Mike1989 wrote:

Of course there's no guarantee, that's the whole point of trying to improve the odds!
Regurgitating a handful of past examples will not improve our odds, either. Anything is possible, but of you don't try to improve your odds you don't really understand the system.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/14/2018  1:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/14/2018  1:20 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Mike1989 wrote:

Of course there's no guarantee, that's the whole point of trying to improve the odds!
Regurgitating a handful of past examples will not improve our odds, either. Anything is possible, but of you don't try to improve your odds you don't really understand the system.

Correct- as it stands, the team at 6th has about a 20% chance of moving up, while we, at 9th have a 6% chance. If I were to go up to any Knick fan and say: "you can have either a 20% chance of a top 3 pick or a 6% chance", no one in their right mind would go for the 6%, yet we did and gained nothing for doing so- maddening

Even putting aside the odds of moving up- why would anyone rather have the 9th pick than the 6th? What do you gain!? Now whichever player we decide we want, 2 more teams could pick them before we do.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

5/14/2018  1:42 PM
smackeddog wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Mike1989 wrote:

Correct- as it stands, the team at 6th has about a 20% chance of moving up, while we, at 9th have a 6% chance. If I were to go up to any Knick fan and say: "you can have either a 20% chance of a top 3 pick or a 6% chance", no one in their right mind would go for the 6%, yet we did and gained nothing for doing so- maddening

Even putting aside the odds of moving up- why would anyone rather have the 9th pick than the 6th? What do you gain!? Now whichever player we decide we want, 2 more teams could pick them before we do.

And there's a small chance we fall out if the top 10 altogether, which would never happen if we had the sixth pick.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Chandler
Member: #6197

5/14/2018  2:53 PM
Picking 9: historically not so bad at all -- i'd like a lot of these guys

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/history-of-the-nba-draft-by-pick/history-of-the-nba-draft-pick-number-9/

2017 Dennis Smith Jr., N.C. State – Dallas Mavericks
2016 Jakob Poeltl, Utah – Toronto Raptors
2015 Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin – Charlotte Hornets
2014 Noah Vonleh, Indiana – Charlotte Hornets
2013 Trey Burke, Michigan – Minnesota Timberwolves
2012 Andre Drummond, Connecticut – Detroit Pistons
2011 Kemba Walker, Connecticut – Charlotte Bobcats
2010 Gordon Hayward, Butler – Utah Jazz
2000’s
2009 DeMar Derozen, USC – Toronto Raptors
2008 D.J. Augustin, Texas – Charlotte Bobcats
2007 Joakim Noah, Florida – Chicago Bulls
2006 Patrick O’Bryant, Bradley – Golden State Warriors
2005 Ike Diogu, Arizona State – Golden State Warriors
2004 Andre Iguodala, Arizona – Philadelphia 76ers
2003 Mike Sweetney, Georgetown – New York Knicks
2002 Amare Stoudemire, Cypress Creek HS (Fla.) – Phoenix Suns
2001 Rodney White, UNC-Charlotte – Detroit Pistons
2000 Joel Przybilla, Minnesota – Houston Rockets
1990’s
1999 Shawn Marion, UNLV – Phoenix Suns
1998 Dirk Nowitzki, Germany – Milwaukee Bucks
1997 Tracy McGrady, Mount Zion Christian Academy (N.C.) – Toronto Raptors
1996 Samaki Walker, Louisville – Dallas Mavericks
1995 Ed O’Bannon, UCLA – New Jersey Nets
1994 Eric Montross, North Carolina – Boston Celtics
1993 Rodney Rogers, Wake Forest – Denver Nuggets
1992 Clarence Weatherspoon, Southern Mississippi – Philadelphia 76ers
1991 Stacey Augmon, UNLV – Atlanta Hawks
1990 Willie Burton, Minnesota – Miami HEAT

(5)(5)
Chandler

5/14/2018  2:55 PM
picks at 9 look better than picks at 2 -- strangely
(5)(5)
codeunknown
Member: #704
5/14/2018  3:35 PM
Assuming we don't move up in the lottery, given the projected order and the Knicks outlook/pattern, I'll predict that Mikal Bridges ends up available and being our pick at number 9.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
BigDaddyG

5/14/2018  3:45 PM
codeunknown wrote:Assuming we don't move up in the lottery, given the projected order and the Knicks outlook/pattern, I'll predict that Mikal Bridges ends up available and being our pick at number 9.

Wouldn't mind that. Chicago's decision will be the determine factor. They have similar stuff and weaknesses to us. Have to hope young and Sexton kill it enough in workouts to convince the bulls to draft them. Trae could make sense for them. Not sure about Sexton. Would he make sense with Dunn and Lavine?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/15/2018  1:15 PM
codeunknown wrote:Assuming we don't move up in the lottery, given the projected order and the Knicks outlook/pattern, I'll predict that Mikal Bridges ends up available and being our pick at number 9.

Mikal is my top choice but i also like Miles. Miles has a bit more upside and fits a new-age lineup with KP at the 5 and Miles at the 4. Miles can rebound and defend, and has a little bit of playmaking ability too. He improves athleticism and versatility in a major way.

smackeddog
Member: #883
5/15/2018  2:23 PM

I still think the bulls will take him (if they don't move up in the draft)

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/15/2018  5:19 PM
that is my hope. I dont think he's there. Sexton has insane speed but he's not a shooter. Trea Young would probably be the smallest player in the league. I think those guys will drop leaving us to pick from them, SGA, Thomas, Knox, etc...
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BigDaddyG

5/15/2018  6:04 PM
fishmike wrote:
that is my hope. I dont think he's there. Sexton has insane speed but he's not a shooter. Trea Young would probably be the smallest player in the league. I think those guys will drop leaving us to pick from them, SGA, Thomas, Knox, etc...

Trey is short, but you're making him out to be Isaiah Thomas lol He's taller than Sexton. We need to hope that Trae, Colin or someone else rises for Mykal, Carter and, hopefully, Bamba drop to us. There's a workout warrior or two when sneak into the lottery. Last year it was Mitchell and Kennard. Who knows who it will be now.

Chandler

5/15/2018  6:24 PM
serious question for the college hoops experts: which of the top candidates do you feel is the best F/C defender who can guard out on perimeter, deal with pick and rolls etc?
(5)(5)
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

5/15/2018  6:37 PM
Chandler wrote:serious question for the college hoops experts: which of the top candidates do you feel is the best F/C defender who can guard out on perimeter, deal with pick and rolls etc?

From what I've read, but I'm no expert, I Like jsren Jackson Jr.

codeunknown
5/15/2018  7:00 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Trey is short, but you're making him out to be Isaiah Thomas lol He's taller than Sexton. We need to hope that Trae, Colin or someone else rises for Mykal, Carter and, hopefully, Bamba drop to us. There's a workout warrior or two when sneak into the lottery. Last year it was Mitchell and Kennard. Who knows who it will be now.

I remain in the minority but my draft preferences are unchanged if we stay at 9 and the top 8 go as previously projected:

Trae Young
Lonnie Walker
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter

So, I'm hoping Trae falls and we take teh gamble. If we select Mikal, thats great value and I wont be disappointed.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
codeunknown
5/15/2018  7:02 PM
Chandler wrote:serious question for the college hoops experts: which of the top candidates do you feel is the best F/C defender who can guard out on perimeter, deal with pick and rolls etc?

Jaren Jackson Jr is the best multi-positional defender fitting your description, Bamba is the best rim protector.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

5/15/2018  8:15 PM
Here we go!!
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy