Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/17/2018  10:05 PM
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Marv wrote:interesting that some of you would take a pg. you don't think that frank and trey can hold that down going forward? i'm thinking the best front court player available. Give everyone a chance to develop together this year awaiting kp's return and then see what we need from there.

We need talent at every position- I'd say our only legit starter is KP, and I'm not sure if he's a PF or C, or if he even wants to stick around. Therefore, you go for best talent available. I like Frank and Trey, heck I'm even willing to give Mudiay another chance if he works hard in the offseason, but I can't honestly say any of those will definitely be starter calibre further down the line. If the best player available is a pg, then thats who I'm picking

+1,0000...We are at the stage of our rebuild where we need talent and assets...KP is arguably the only legit starter we have on the roster. A starter that we can envision on a contending team down the road....So why would focus on SF's only, when we need starters for all positions?

Where does thj fit in this? He seemed like an extremely viable starter when playing the 2nd offensive option to kp duting a strong early showing? And why bother picking up a reclamation project like burke and supporting his rebirth in the gl and resurgence in the league if you're going to then dismiss it and seek yet another pg in addition to him and frank? Do we believe we're going to rebuild for another 5 years? Is that what we want? Right now burke, dotson, thj and frank look like a young core u'd continue to devote pt to in the backcourt. That leaves a very unsettled frontcourt. Beasley to me is a throwaway bench scorer who will always be appropriately on the cheap. Kanter is a luxury but not at that price. Kornet and hicks are feel-good g-league story lines.

Are sexton and young worth neglecting our dire frount court needs? I say no, not with the emergence of burke to balance the abilities of frank. And with the decimated state of our frontcourt.

the Mills scent is all over THjr and his "ruinous" contract have many convinced he is Mudiay but after 4 more years.
I tend to think that Timmy is sort of still growing into new roles as a starter and what we saw was flashes of some really good play marked by inconsistency. I'd like to think its a process that was disturbed by injury. The kid dropped 48?
He has to learn to perhaps dial it back and let the game come to him. Often, he was the no 1 option and forced too much. It also hurt his legs by this ambition.
Im fully on board that we need to take the best front court player available.

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
4/18/2018  4:10 AM
If the Mavs land a top 2 pick, would you consider trading KP to them for it? I would if it seems like KP plans to force his way out of NY after next season (he sounded like he didn't want to be part of a long rebuild and seemed pretty Luke warm about the organization). If the new coach can't win him round then maybe it's time to move on.

I mentioned the Mavs as I think it's the only bad team he'd consider (it has dirk who could mentor him, they have a few pieces in place too),

How do the top 2 players in this draft compare to KP talent wise?

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

4/18/2018  7:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/18/2018  8:00 AM
smackeddog wrote:If the Mavs land a top 2 pick, would you consider trading KP to them for it? I would if it seems like KP plans to force his way out of NY after next season (he sounded like he didn't want to be part of a long rebuild and seemed pretty Luke warm about the organization). If the new coach can't win him round then maybe it's time to move on.

I mentioned the Mavs as I think it's the only bad team he'd consider (it has dirk who could mentor him, they have a few pieces in place too),

It would be a better idea timeline wise. It would allow us to wait out Noah and collect assets the next 2 years. Porzingis will force us to make a bad move to keep him. Porzingis is an All Star level talent but his attitude and injury concerns make him tradeable
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/18/2018  10:00 AM
smackeddog wrote:If the Mavs land a top 2 pick, would you consider trading KP to them for it? I would if it seems like KP plans to force his way out of NY after next season (he sounded like he didn't want to be part of a long rebuild and seemed pretty Luke warm about the organization). If the new coach can't win him round then maybe it's time to move on.

No.
-Knicks can pay KP far more than any other team
-Knicks can match any salary offered
-Would he risk waiting to be unrestricted and risking injury when he has max money on the table? I doubt it.
-He won't really consider leaving the Knicks until after his 2nd contract like most players.
-Knicks have ample time to improve before his contracts up.
-His value is at its lowest due to injury.

Any trade of KP needs to set the franchise up for the next 10 yrs. Mavs would need to give up the #2. Swap Noah with Matthews & Lee with Powell & give up their 2nd rounder. Or include Barnes in the deal.

Getting the #2 pick which if he turns out to be a bust.....

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/18/2018  10:32 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:

No.
-Knicks can pay KP far more than any other team
-Would he risk waiting to be unrestricted and risking injury when he has max money on the table? I doubt it.
-He won't really consider leaving the Knicks until after his 2nd contract like most players.

Any trade of KP needs to set the franchise up for the next 10 yrs. Mavs would need to give up the #2. Swap Noah with Matthews & Lee with Powell & give up their 2nd rounder. Or include Barnes in the deal.

hell noope.

ride with this guy. 22 years old. no reason to believe the injury robs him of future effectiveness. should come back stronger physically. showed what he can do this season. even after falling off and losing the team's 2nd offensive option was still an all-star. this is who we should be building around.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/18/2018  10:48 AM
Jmpasq wrote:

It would be a better idea timeline wise. It would allow us to wait out Noah and collect assets the next 2 years. Porzingis will force us to make a bad move to keep him. Porzingis is an All Star level talent but his attitude and injury concerns make him tradeable

Knicks will be collecting assets the next 2 years, they really don't have wiggle room to do otherwise.

KP is Franchise level talent that has done nothing but work hard and improve.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
4/18/2018  11:04 AM
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Knicks will be collecting assets the next 2 years, they really don't have wiggle room to do otherwise.

Look at AD after 6 yrs. Expecting the same type of path with KP.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/18/2018  11:20 AM
Marv wrote:interesting that some of you would take a pg. you don't think that frank and trey can hold that down going forward? i'm thinking the best front court player available. Give everyone a chance to develop together this year awaiting kp's return and then see what we need from there.
also its the PGs people are looking at. Tiny guys. I totally agree... Trey Burke was a lottery pick a couple years ago. He's 25 now. He dropped 42/12. He's played GREAT. He never turns the ball over. Adding Sexton or Trea Young to that just muddies the water for players who are very small for NBA prospects.

I get you focus on BPA and avoid drafting by need in the NBA, except when all things are equal you take the position of need. We need frontcourt guys.
I like coming back with THjr, Dotson, Burke, Baker, Lee, Mudiay and Frank. That is 7 guys competing for minutes at the 1/2... Lee is old. All the other guys are 25 and under. We are going to add Trea Young who weighs like 155 lbs and has JR Smith's shot selection when he was a high school jr? Not a fan of that but we have drafted well and I like the young guys we have added so lets see.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/18/2018  1:00 PM
fishmike wrote:
also its the PGs people are looking at. Tiny guys. I totally agree... Trey Burke was a lottery pick a couple years ago. He's 25 now. He dropped 42/12. He's played GREAT. He never turns the ball over. Adding Sexton or Trea Young to that just muddies the water for players who are very small for NBA prospects.

I get you focus on BPA and avoid drafting by need in the NBA, except when all things are equal you take the position of need. We need frontcourt guys.
I like coming back with THjr, Dotson, Burke, Baker, Lee, Mudiay and Frank. That is 7 guys competing for minutes at the 1/2... Lee is old. All the other guys are 25 and under. We are going to add Trea Young who weighs like 155 lbs and has JR Smith's shot selection when he was a high school jr? Not a fan of that but we have drafted well and I like the young guys we have added so lets see.

This process is still too early to lock in on anyone player or strategy. Guys will move up and down a team's draft board before everything is said and done. I agree that we need front court help first, but what happens if the guys who make sense for us like Carter or Mikal go before we pick? I might want to draft down. But if Trae or Sexton kill it in workouts then I can understand it if we pick them. It would make more sense than reaching for a Kevin Knox. If Trey blows up, it might make sense to trade him and go with a younger backcourt. I'd like a young big from this class, but I might not feel pressured to get one this year if Kanter opts in.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
4/18/2018  1:50 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Don't get me wrong, it's not about talent, for me it's the concern he'll force his way out of here after another losing season, or at least his brother will--can't help but feel we had a sneak preview of it last off-season

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/18/2018  1:56 PM
smackeddog wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Don't get me wrong, it's not about talent, for me it's the concern he'll force his way out of here after another losing season, or at least his brother will--can't help but feel we had a sneak preview of it last off-season

With all of this info, you still worry about KP forcing his way out?

newyorknewyork wrote:-Knicks can pay KP far more than any other team

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
USA
4/18/2018  2:41 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:

This process is still too early to lock in on anyone player or strategy. Guys will move up and down a team's draft board before everything is said and done. I agree that we need front court help first, but what happens if the guys who make sense for us like Carter or Mikal go before we pick? I might want to draft down. But if Trae or Sexton kill it in workouts then I can understand it if we pick them. It would make more sense than reaching for a Kevin Knox. If Trey blows up, it might make sense to trade him and go with a younger backcourt. I'd like a young big from this class, but I might not feel pressured to get one this year if Kanter opts in.
disagree on the bold. Perry/Mills have said they are going to focus on longer, more athletic defensive players. There is a type to look at and a type to avoid. Tiny PGs that are smaller and lighter than everyone in the NBA go against that. Also its a position we have a lot of bodies in. Steph Curry's shooting was unprecedented when he was drafted, and he still fell for size/athleticism concerns. Trea Young is nothing like the shooter Curry was in college. I am not sure what he could do in a workout that would have me taking him over others like Carter, Bridges, Knox, SGA, guys with 2-way NBA upside.
smackeddog
4/18/2018  2:43 PM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

A few months ago, no, but After the Kawhi Leonard saga this season, yes!

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/18/2018  2:48 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

A few months ago, no, but After the Kawhi Leonard saga this season, yes!

I get your contrast. But the dynamics are different. Kawhi and the spurs have reached the pinnicle and he has his money.
Its not about "winning" either. This is about something else. Not sure what it is.
KP has yet to fill his juice card.

codeunknown
Member: #704
4/18/2018  4:52 PM
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:

disagree on the bold. Perry/Mills have said they are going to focus on longer, more athletic defensive players. There is a type to look at and a type to avoid. Tiny PGs that are smaller and lighter than everyone in the NBA go against that. Also its a position we have a lot of bodies in. Steph Curry's shooting was unprecedented when he was drafted, and he still fell for size/athleticism concerns. Trea Young is nothing like the shooter Curry was in college. I am not sure what he could do in a workout that would have me taking him over others like Carter, Bridges, Knox, SGA, guys with 2-way NBA upside.

While I agree generally with the bold, I think the lines you draw are are too rigid. If Perry and his staff are planning on algorithmically just taking long, athletic players who play defense, I would want him fired on the spot. What they need to be able to do is be the first to identify better predictive variables and excel at contextual analysis.

You've claimed that Trae is nothing like the shooter Steph is/was. I've given you the numbers before and your take seems hyperbolic. Trae shot 86.1% from the line to Steph's 87.6% during year 3 when he finally managed similar volume to Trae. Steph shot 85.5% in year 1. Steph shot 38.7% from 3 in his 3rd year of college, when managing comparable volume to Trae; Trae shot 36%. You can argue Trae is not as good of a shooter but there is still a ton of contextual uncertainty, and "nothing like Steph" is just conjecture. Balance it with the fact that Trae is noticeably quicker than Steph with superior age-matched ball handling and I think your selling him short, so to speak.

I'm also not on board with all the players you're suggesting will end up "2-way." SGA may well be deficient offensively at the NBA level. I don't see enough offensive upside there. Bridges and Carter I like, in that order. Knox may bust on both ends of the floor, and I like him the least, except Sexton who I won't even meaningfully consider. Its hard to predict, but it seems crazy to say that Young is disqualified relative to the above group because he is small. If 2-way upside is the ultimate consideration, why not Lonnie Walker? He's got more upside that any of the guys you've listed.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
BigDaddyG
Member: #3049

4/18/2018  5:13 PM
fishmike wrote:disagree on the bold. Perry/Mills have said they are going to focus on longer, more athletic defensive players. There is a type to look at and a type to avoid. Tiny PGs that are smaller and lighter than everyone in the NBA go against that. Also its a position we have a lot of bodies in. Steph Curry's shooting was unprecedented when he was drafted, and he still fell for size/athleticism concerns. Trea Young is nothing like the shooter Curry was in college. I am not sure what he could do in a workout that would have me taking him over others like Carter, Bridges, Knox, SGA, guys with 2-way NBA upside.

By strategy, I really mean trade or keep the pick. That said, Steph Curry didn't really fly up the draft boards until his workouts. Im not really that high on Young, but we need to keep an open mind.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/18/2018  10:38 PM
smackeddog wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

He's keeping the pressure on the front office to improve. It will be fine, he's not going anywhere. Can't trade him for a top pick because it's unlikely to yield a player as talented. Getting franchise level talent is so hard. When you have one you keep it.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

4/19/2018  6:04 AM
Knixkik wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

He's keeping the pressure on the front office to improve. It will be fine, he's not going anywhere. Can't trade him for a top pick because it's unlikely to yield a player as talented. Getting franchise level talent is so hard. When you have one you keep it.

He needs to be realistic. The only way to improve is to tank for the Knicks

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
fishmike
USA
4/19/2018  10:40 AM
codeunknown wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:

While I agree generally with the bold, I think the lines you draw are are too rigid. If Perry and his staff are planning on algorithmically just taking long, athletic players who play defense, I would want him fired on the spot. What they need to be able to do is be the first to identify better predictive variables and excel at contextual analysis.

You've claimed that Trae is nothing like the shooter Steph is/was. I've given you the numbers before and your take seems hyperbolic. Trae shot 86.1% from the line to Steph's 87.6% during year 3 when he finally managed similar volume to Trae. Steph shot 85.5% in year 1. Steph shot 38.7% from 3 in his 3rd year of college, when managing comparable volume to Trae; Trae shot 36%. You can argue Trae is not as good of a shooter but there is still a ton of contextual uncertainty, and "nothing like Steph" is just conjecture. Balance it with the fact that Trae is noticeably quicker than Steph with superior age-matched ball handling and I think your selling him short, so to speak.

I'm also not on board with all the players you're suggesting will end up "2-way." SGA may well be deficient offensively at the NBA level. I don't see enough offensive upside there. Bridges and Carter I like, in that order. Knox may bust on both ends of the floor, and I like him the least, except Sexton who I won't even meaningfully consider. Its hard to predict, but it seems crazy to say that Young is disqualified relative to the above group because he is small. If 2-way upside is the ultimate consideration, why not Lonnie Walker? He's got more upside that any of the guys you've listed.

I have nothing against Walker. Kyrie Thomas is another dark horse that could be the next Donovan Mitchell.

I am selling Trea Young short? I dont think I am. He's a fantastic college player. The red flags and developmental challenges ahead are not worth the gamble. They are monumental starting simply with precedent. What is the model of success for a player like this?

As for comparing Steph and Trea you are comparing the strength of a dozen or so amazing games from Young vs. the worst shooting year Curry had (but otherwise the most successful). Young's college team was not very good, and Young's games were wildly inconsistent. I dont see the match. I see the sell, but I am not buying. That is just me.

You are right about SGA... he may lack the offensive upside. That is for the Knick scouts to work on. But at least SGA doesnt have physical limitations right out of the gate. Trea Young will always be defensive liability. Look at his frame... how much weight do you think he can put on? He's 160-170 right now.

If I was picking very late lottery/mid first round I would be more open to Young. You figure if your 15th pick becomes a good scorer off the bench and backup P fine. Obviously Young has more upside than that.

For me its pretty simple...

but it seems crazy to say that Young is disqualified relative to the above group because he is small
Why? This is the NBA. There are incredibly few small players and fewer successful ones. Its like slow, or fat, or stupid. I mean being small is about as tough an obstacle to overcome.

I dont disagree with you on the guys you mentioned. Knox might bust on both sides. Hopefully Bridges or Carter are available (lukewarm on Carter also). We will see.

Also while I am generally a believer in taking the BPA how do you take a guy like Young when you have Burke in the mix. I mean for that to happen Young has to really establish himself as a clear tier above the other guys available at the same spot. Burke is 25. He gave us 12/5 shooting over 50%. He dropped 42/12 with only 2 TOs. Burke takes amazing care of the ball. Young is a TO machine.

There are a 100 reason why Young is a wasted lottery pick for the Knicks. Some like him. I see much more hype than substance.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/19/2018  11:13 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

He needs to be realistic. The only way to improve is to tank for the Knicks

I don't agree with that. There are plenty of ways to improve. Draft is the primary one, but Utah didn't need to tank to draft Mitchell. We just need to be smart. Porzingis is putting pressure on the Knicks front office to show a level of competence where they can be resourceful enough to improve other than just tanking.

The 2018 Tank/Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy