martin wrote:
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:Good sign from Knicks, one of the best statistical defenders in the league in KP and one of the top 10 on the perimeter.

Defense at C and PG if KP fills out. Incredible. And both have scoring ability all the way out to 3PT line. Both 22 and younger.

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2018/01/01/draymond-has-been-the-nbas-best-defender/

22 and 19 years old. Ive been saying... we can build a defense around these two. I would take a defensive star with some warts in this draft. Scorers are everywhere. We got Beas cheap. We have Trey Burke who can be a scorer off the bench. McBuckets. Jack is a good veteran offensive player. I think its easy to fill these roles if you have 3-4 elite defenders out there like Detroit had on those teams.

I believe you can carry two sub par defensive starters if the other 3 are competent, especially at center and PG. We've already won half the battle as far i'm concerned. While KP is not "5" right now, he's improving as a help defender and continues to provide quality shotblocking. Just need that one good two-way forward to fill in the gaps.

The 2 way All Star SF is the missing piece. We will pick somewhere between 11-16, can we find that guy there? Hopefully, this draft actually has a few nice forwards in that range

TOTALLY AGREE.

Absolutely. Frank and KP are the foundation and with their 2-way ability they will anchor the defense. Hardaway provides the playmaking and shot creating ability that Frank lacks. Kanter provides extra offense and the toughness downlow. We should never have an issue on either side of the ball. Plenty of firepower here. Just need that missing SF who can bring it all together and build up the bench some more.

With stretch 4's on opposite team, Kanter lacks ANY kind of interior protection when KP needs to watch the 3 point line. Also, his lack of passing and shots outside the rim makes penetration much harder for his teammates.

Agree but if your 3 perimeter players are Frank/Lee/THjr (which is what I think we finish the 2nd half of the year with) Kanter works because those guys are at the very least excellent and keeping their man in front of them.

The two young centers on our team are 25 and 22. Both are excellent rebounders, big bodies and below average defenders. Another high end defensive wing could solidify that defense even more. If Kanter doesnt have to help (much) and he's mostly setting picks, crashing boards and scoring int the paint he's gonna look REALLY good, which he has for stretches. The defense around him is key. Willy also.

For me Kanter is a good stepping stone big next to KP but not long term C the Knicks need to get deep into playoffs. Just don't see that path for him

But if and when KP is developed into more of a full-time center and we place a stretch-4 next to him, Kanter can easily transition into an elite 6th man without decreasing his minutes a ton.

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/2/2018  2:14 PM
it'll just take a bit of time:

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/2/2018  2:38 PM
martin wrote:it'll just take a bit of time:

He's got nice, if unpolished moves also. Also here is where his length starts to hurt defenses. Its crazy how down some of our members are on him. Offensive liability (hofstra) and might be good enough to play behind Ish Smith (crush). Frank is already a leader and he doesnt even know it.

Wanna like Frank? Look what Courtney Lee does when he catches up to Frank at the :30 mark of this

WTF do I know. Im just an ahole who likes to see the Knicks winning games, playing defense and featuring triangle guards

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
1/2/2018  2:46 PM

Thank You Martin. Some of us are ahead of the Curve and others WAY BEHIND. If fans are watching and just paying attention it's obvious there is a difference in how Nitty looks now versus the start of the year. He's making progress which in his rookie year at 19 is what we'd hope to see. Stats won't catch up to how he's playing now if you only look at On Year versus his actual progress.

Also not for nothing but i'm tired of the Negative Nancy's who are pointing out less than stellar aspects when we are talking about the 2nd youngest player in the NBA who is playing the TOUGHEST position in the league to master. Most of us had concerns and doubts about Nitty before the draft many had other preferences but after just 30+ games it's clear he's got a lot of very commendable talents that are legit.

LOVE his disposition and approach to the game. Like KP Nitty wants to be great. The two of them together are making a huge impact when they play together. This is again what we want to see since that is the hoped for future of the franchise.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/2/2018  3:10 PM
nixluva wrote:

Thank You Martin. Some of us are ahead of the Curve and others WAY BEHIND. If fans are watching and just paying attention it's obvious there is a difference in how Nitty looks now versus the start of the year. He's making progress which in his rookie year at 19 is what we'd hope to see. Stats won't catch up to how he's playing now if you only look at On Year versus his actual progress.

Also not for nothing but i'm tired of the Negative Nancy's who are pointing out less than stellar aspects when we are talking about the 2nd youngest player in the NBA who is playing the TOUGHEST position in the league to master. Most of us had concerns and doubts about Nitty before the draft many had other preferences but after just 30+ games it's clear he's got a lot of very commendable talents that are legit.

LOVE his disposition and approach to the game. Like KP Nitty wants to be great. The two of them together are making a huge impact when they play together. This is again what we want to see since that is the hoped for future of the franchise.

In a draft that has been really good but doesn't have any obvious franchise players, Ntilikina will end up being one of the best players. He's never going to have eye-popping stats, but will be the guy coaches/GMs wish they had for his defensive impact and efficient offensive game. He won't be flashy but will become efficient in time. And i really believe he is going to be a transcendent defensive player in same sense as D. Green, Leonard, and Tony Allen. Guys who completely change the defensive identity of a team on their own.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/2/2018  3:15 PM
Frank defends and we all know he is going to get even better at that.

His offensive instincts and assertiveness are going to get MUCH better, especially with strength and confidence and practice finishing around rim.

The part I love the best though is that Frank SEE plays developing around him. You can see him move to space to create room for the guy he is going to pass to by drawing defenders. And he knows where to pass to before the play happens.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/2/2018  3:22 PM
Lets talk about how Frank isnt explosive

Does this look like a player who is going to be "a liability on offense?"

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Welpee
Member: #6239

1/2/2018  6:05 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:This Twitter thread has some nice defensive stats showing how high up our guys are!

Sorry....but BassketballAnalyticsbook.com??? Let's try a lesser known site...NBA.com

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/

Eye test.. Frank is a very good perimeter defender. KP is a very good help defender. But lets not pretend that KP does not get abused from outside, when looking to help and that he does not get pushed like a rag doll inside. He has much to improve but think he will. It's also good to see defensive players on the team for a change. Problem for Frank will be that, against good teams, it will be tough for JH to keep such an offensive liability in the game. We need POP like coaching, if he passes up a wide open shot, he gets taken out of game. Its not like he has a bad shot. It just seems like he is afraid to shoot. Is that something you can change in a 19 year old? Time will tell.

I agree. That list was very suspect.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

1/2/2018  6:19 PM
Bottom of the barrel...

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/2/2018  7:02 PM
KP and Nitty Elite Defenders

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy