Dennis Smith Jr. wouldnt give the Knicks a physical... there you go, done deal
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/2/2018  7:03 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Donavan Mitchell is better than both.

I'm good with Frank though. Frank had quietly been evolving with his own offense.

I was high on DM but it does matter that he’s 21 vs Nitty at 19. 2 more years of development is a LOT.

Giannis at age 19

Giannis at age 21

Absolutely... Frank has all the intangibles he's not supposed to have yet. His offense is too tight right now.... it's slowly loosening up every game. As long as he keeps that base as he comes out of his shell he's gonna be alright.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

1/2/2018  9:33 AM
Frank does so many things well on a basketball court.
The number one thing is défense.
How many guards in this league can do what Frank can on D already? This is in his rookie year when he is still a long way from his peak or having the defensive smarts.

The thing with Frank will be his offense. He needs to be more aggressive at taking shots and going to the basket especially off screens. Also already he is probably the only one that pushes pace.

I think years from now we will be singing Phil Jacksons praises for drafting KP and Frank.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/2/2018  9:44 AM
I know some of you would rather not love on Frank because of his triangleness.
Why not savor the notion that he was likely a high conviction pick of Gaines.
Instead of "Why not start him" why not look at the fact he is finishing. Super important.
Jarret Jack is giving us incredible play at incredible discount. Lets praise Perry for this inclusion.
Sessions early play put him on the bench but he is ready.
Knicks are not the only team that passed on Donovan Mitchell. Every year there are guys that just shine beyond their projected picks.
Dennis smith if healthy his senior year in high school might have tore up the NCAA. He did really well and his last 10 games were important.
His health problems are a bit more involved than franks slow start. Frank is a year younger and physically younger as well.
For all we know this kid might grow still.
But he will fill out. And he will improve in most areas of his game.
Knick fans have to be tickled pink, he is progressing and knicks are being patient. He does some nice PNR's, he is hitting some clutch shots and is attacking more.
He is not DSjr. He is Frank.
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/2/2018  12:22 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Frank does so many things well on a basketball court.
How many guards in this league can do what Frank can on D already? This is in his rookie year when he is still a long way from his peak or having the defensive smarts.

The thing with Frank will be his offense. He needs to be more aggressive at taking shots and going to the basket especially off screens. Also already he is probably the only one that pushes pace.

I think years from now we will be singing Phil Jacksons praises for drafting KP and Frank.

Don't be surprised if in a couple of years from now Frank will be still passing up wide open shots and coming off someones bench and KP is wearing another jersey. That's the NBA and no one knows.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall

1/2/2018  12:34 PM
Nalod wrote:I know some of you would rather not love on Frank because of his triangleness.
Why not savor the notion that he was likely a high conviction pick of Gaines.
Instead of "Why not start him" why not look at the fact he is finishing. Super important.
Jarret Jack is giving us incredible play at incredible discount. Lets praise Perry for this inclusion.
Sessions early play put him on the bench but he is ready.
Knicks are not the only team that passed on Donovan Mitchell. Every year there are guys that just shine beyond their projected picks.
Dennis smith if healthy his senior year in high school might have tore up the NCAA. He did really well and his last 10 games were important.
His health problems are a bit more involved than franks slow start. Frank is a year younger and physically younger as well.
For all we know this kid might grow still.
But he will fill out. And he will improve in most areas of his game.
Knick fans have to be tickled pink, he is progressing and knicks are being patient. He does some nice PNR's, he is hitting some clutch shots and is attacking more.
He is not DSjr. He is Frank.

Argument is only about how Phil pushed for Frank because of his Triangle type game. It's not about rooting for Frank. If your a Knick fan you are rooting for him every game. I am. Its not about the kid. No one is rooting against him or crying cuz Phil picked him. Some are just arguing that it was another one of Phil's mistakes and fallout as a result of Dolan doing what he does. Using his minimal knowledge of basketball in order to bring in another Starphuck Name without realizing Phil was a relic and did not understand tje future of the NBA. That's it. Its like arguing with the guys about Phil claiming GS style could never win. There are still old timers on here tjat think he was right.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/2/2018  12:36 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Don't be surprised if in a couple of years from now Frank will be still passing up wide open shots and coming off someones bench and KP is wearing another jersey. That's the NBA and no one knows.

man are you that jaded?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

1/2/2018  1:01 PM
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

man are you that jaded?

Yeah its pretty crazy. Frank is gonna make a lot of people eat crow. One of the youngest players in the league and already a awesome defender and has great vision. His offense is coming along for 19 year old kid. This time next year i cant wait to see Frank and KP together
Welpee
Member: #6239

1/2/2018  6:08 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

man are you that jaded?

Yeah its pretty crazy. Frank is gonna make a lot of people eat crow. One of the youngest players in the league and already a awesome defender and has great vision. His offense is coming along for 19 year old kid. This time next year i cant wait to see Frank and KP together
Yes, just look at the jump Kris Dunn made from his rookie season to this year. I can definitely see Frank making a similar jump next season.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

1/2/2018  7:01 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:HAPPY New Year Mike.

Is this the official "Coping with not taking Smith but Frank is okay thread?

Fact is Phil would have never picked DS as he was not Triangle worthy. Going through basic Due Dilligence exercise does not change he has no interest in a 'Ball dominant guard", which he was wrong about as many on here were, btw. But will agree that DS wanted no part of the Triangle **** show either. My favorite part of story is when he said the Knicks/Phil went back on their word. Seemed consistent with Phil.

My thoughts aswell...Physical or no physical, phil was not picking Dennis Smith, IMO.

HofstraBBall

1/2/2018  7:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/2/2018  7:18 PM
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

man are you that jaded?

Jaded?

So Frank was not a Triangle pick?
So Phil was not a relic and out of touch?
So Dolan did not fail by bringing in a NAME without due diligence. A guy that even his Lakers wanted No part of in the FO?

Jaded by Knicks history with Dolan....absokutely.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

1/2/2018  7:28 PM
Funny...weren't folks who didn't like Gallo at #6 for many reasons also throwing out "damaged goods" theories at certain times before and after we took him? Can't recall if we gave him a physical. Folks were also talking about KP being fragile, and that being an issue, and when Frank got hurt at the end of his French season and was unable to play in SL and faced limitations afterwards, folks were also complaining about his health and questioning his durability.

...Yet a guy with a previous injury who refuses to take a physical is not an issue for those who preferred him...seems somewhat hypocritical- no?

I would have had issues with any player who had a previous and serious injury telling us they didn't want to take a physical. Total madness...I'm sorry, and if we did take such a player, and he did end up having a history of injuries in the NBA, guys around here would be bringing it up ad nauseam, and many of you know this to be the case.

As is always the case...best we wait a few years and revisit the draft after everyone is fully matured and had chances to break down physically, but Smith and Mitchell are lightning rods, though we don't hear much about Monk these days, do we.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/2/2018  8:06 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Funny...weren't folks who didn't like Gallo at #6 for many reasons also throwing out "damaged goods" theories at certain times before and after we took him? Can't recall if we gave him a physical. Folks were also talking about KP being fragile, and that being an issue, and when Frank got hurt at the end of his French season and was unable to play in SL and faced limitations afterwards, folks were also complaining about his health and questioning his durability.

...Yet a guy with a previous injury who refuses to take a physical is not an issue for those who preferred him...seems somewhat hypocritical- no?

I would have had issues with any player who had a previous and serious injury telling us they didn't want to take a physical. Total madness...I'm sorry, and if we did take such a player, and he did end up having a history of injuries in the NBA, guys around here would be bringing it up ad nauseam, and many of you know this to be the case.

As is always the case...best we wait a few years and revisit the draft after everyone is fully matured and had chances to break down physically, but Smith and Mitchell are lightning rods, though we don't hear much about Monk these days, do we.

There were reports/rumors that Gallo had a back issue prior to the draft. I know I was upset that everyone knew who the Knicks were picking and could set their draft board knowing that the Knicks were taking Gallo at 6. I remember Rod Thorn saying they knew the Knicks were picking Gallo about 5 days before the draft. I know I was frustrated. That was a stacked draft and the Knicks already had Wilson. I am sure that I brought up the pre draft back stuff when he got knocked out of summer league with a back injury. I think there was a bit more mystery to Gallo. Smith jr has been followed forever. If I were to speculate, I would say that Smith treated the Knicks like KP did Philly.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/3/2018  9:16 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

man are you that jaded?

Jaded?

So Dolan did not fail by bringing in a NAME without due diligence. A guy that even his Lakers wanted No part of in the FO?

Jimmy Buss was in charge and burned the bridges with Phil who was about married to his sister at the time. Lakers had their own issues.

You make “Triangle guard” sound like a bad thing. Triangle SF? They were called KObe and Mike Jordan. Players are players.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
1/3/2018  10:04 AM
Regarding Gallo - I think he was perfectly fine until the Knicks coaching staff decided to have him defend Robert Tractor Traylor, the beast that successfully posted up a cow in this Nike commercial (RIP Traylor!). One of many bad moves by the Knicks staff over the years, overextending their young rookies with formal "training".

The standouts were Rose, Westbrook, and Love. There were a few gems picked after Gallo, though: DeAndre Jordan (35) and Dragic (45) in particular. Interestingly, the Knicks must've have obsessed with this particular draft class. We've had a LOT of players from this draft on our team over the past 3-4 years. It's almost as if we coveted the players, but didn't want to invest in their development so we just got them in their supposed primes. :)

Rose
Michael Beasley
Gallo
Anthony Randolph
Robin Lopez
Courtney Lee
Patrick Ewing Jr
We signed Mozgov too after he went undrafted.

Here's that Nike commercial with Traylor, btw:

CrushAlot wrote:There were reports/rumors that Gallo had a back issue prior to the draft. I know I was upset that everyone knew who the Knicks were picking and could set their draft board knowing that the Knicks were taking Gallo at 6. I remember Rod Thorn saying they knew the Knicks were picking Gallo about 5 days before the draft. I know I was frustrated. That was a stacked draft and the Knicks already had Wilson. I am sure that I brought up the pre draft back stuff when he got knocked out of summer league with a back injury. I think there was a bit more mystery to Gallo. Smith jr has been followed forever. If I were to speculate, I would say that Smith treated the Knicks like KP did Philly.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/3/2018  10:06 AM
Nalod wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

man are you that jaded?

Jaded?

Jimmy Buss was in charge and burned the bridges with Phil who was about married to his sister at the time. Lakers had their own issues.

You make “Triangle guard” sound like a bad thing. Triangle SF? They were called KObe and Mike Jordan. Players are players.

Not sure where you are going with this. Those guys weren't drafted to be triangle guards and they were not drafted by Phil. I also am missing the Buss connection to Phil picking Frank.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
Member: #582
1/3/2018  10:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/3/2018  10:41 AM
Frank is like on one the only pg's in the league that doesn't penetrate, he takes the least amount of FT's then every pg in the league playing his amount of minutes.

It's not even debatable as to why he was chosen by phil, everything he did was triangle related, every player phil traded for, signed, drafted, every coach he hired, every knicks scouts job, all triangle related.

ES
HofstraBBall

1/3/2018  10:45 AM
Nalod wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

man are you that jaded?

Jaded?

So your saying that Phils "Burned Bridges" is an excuse for him not being desirable by the management that knew him the best? That seemed to be a red flag for every other NBA organazation for years prior to good ole Jim having an epiphany.

Can you name the really good PG's Phil has had that were not just role players? Ron Harper, Craig Hodges, Fish, Steve Kerr? All good role players but could see Bull and Laker fans faces if they picked one of those over MJ and Kobe in the draft. MY POINT. To me Frank, Baker are just role players if they don't get considerably better.

Why is it that if you call Frank a Triangle pick its frowned upon by those that liked the Triangle? And again, this is not about Frank. He is a very good defender. Someone every team needs to have. Just dont think you need an 8th pick to get one. We are seeing today that those picked in the top 10 that were good picks are significantly contributing to their teams. Frank is just a role player right now. Can't exactly say that is what we all expected after watching a horrible season but hoping for a significant draft pick.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
1/3/2018  11:58 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

man are you that jaded?

Jaded?

So your saying that Phils "Burned Bridges" is an excuse for him not being desirable by the management that knew him the best? That seemed to be a red flag for every other NBA organazation for years prior to good ole Jim having an epiphany.

Can you name the really good PG's Phil has had that were not just role players? Ron Harper, Craig Hodges, Fish, Steve Kerr? All good role players but could see Bull and Laker fans faces if they picked one of those over MJ and Kobe in the draft. MY POINT. To me Frank, Baker are just role players if they don't get considerably better.

Why is it that if you call Frank a Triangle pick its frowned upon by those that liked the Triangle? And again, this is not about Frank. He is a very good defender. Someone every team needs to have. Just dont think you need an 8th pick to get one. We are seeing today that those picked in the top 10 that were good picks are significantly contributing to their teams. Frank is just a role player right now. Can't exactly say that is what we all expected after watching a horrible season but hoping for a significant draft pick.

Harper was a 20pt scorer before he joined the Bulls. Actually going after him was pretty innovative at that time transferring him to PG. Using his size and length to make them an elite defensive team with Jordan and Pippen on the perimeter.

When you have Jordan and Pippen and Kobe and Shaq and Gasol sprinkled in with ball moving forwards like Kukoc and Odom. When building your team you aren't going to rely on a ball dominant PG. Since these other players are going to command high usage. Jordan, Pippen, Kobe played the role of playmaking PG and averaged 5-8 ast per game. The point guards playing next to them provided other things like defense and spacing. Same principals of Steve Nash playing next to Raja Bell. Ball dominant playmaker next to off ball defender shooter.

Basketball is basketball. Phil drafting Frank in the lottery probably had more to do with him feeling he landed a Pippen at the natural PG position then looking for a Derek Fisher in the lottery.

In also thought Dennis Smith Jr would be having a better rookie yr then he is.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
Member: #582
1/3/2018  1:08 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/3/2018  1:09 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

man are you that jaded?

Jaded?

Harper was a 20pt scorer before he joined the Bulls. Actually going after him was pretty innovative at that time transferring him to PG. Using his size and length to make them an elite defensive team with Jordan and Pippen on the perimeter.

When you have Jordan and Pippen and Kobe and Shaq and Gasol sprinkled in with ball moving forwards like Kukoc and Odom. When building your team you aren't going to rely on a ball dominant PG. Since these other players are going to command high usage. Jordan, Pippen, Kobe played the role of playmaking PG and averaged 5-8 ast per game. The point guards playing next to them provided other things like defense and spacing. Same principals of Steve Nash playing next to Raja Bell. Ball dominant playmaker next to off ball defender shooter.

Basketball is basketball. Phil drafting Frank in the lottery probably had more to do with him feeling he landed a Pippen at the natural PG position then looking for a Derek Fisher in the lottery.

frank is a role player with out question, I would be shock if he ever avg more than 10 points.

All you have to do is look at the top teams in the NBA. Westbrook, curry, Teague, harden, cp3, reggie, lowry, I thomas, Irving, Wall, lillard, even the bottom feeders like the nets, bulls, Atl have scoring pg's, and if your pg is putting up points, your toast. you will not win a lot of games with you pg avg under 12 ppg

ES
HofstraBBall

1/3/2018  1:11 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

man are you that jaded?

Jaded?

So your point is that Phil thought Frank was a Pippen or that he felt we already had a Jordan, Kobe, Pippen, Shaq and Gasol on the team? You just made my point. Why didn't we go after those type of players with the top 8 pick? Not the solid good defender that can be had in the second round?(ie. PIPPEN)

Dennis Smith Jr. wouldnt give the Knicks a physical... there you go, done deal

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy