[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

GameThread: In the Big Easy
Author Thread
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
12/30/2017  9:34 PM
Plenty of minutes to go around at the 4/5.
KP - 35
OQ -20
Noah - 15
Kanter - 30

Noah gets up in peoples faces and a few minutes each quarter to keep the intensity up is exactly what the team needs.

AUTOADVERT
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/30/2017  9:35 PM
Noah changed this game with his energy.
Porzingis was clutch. Jack made some plays late.
But it was Noah's energy on both ends that got us playing the right way again and the W.

That was the guy Phil signed.
Such a shame his body failed him last year.

If tonight was not a mirage and he can play 20 to 25 minutes a game with this energy and his body can hold up to that, there is zero excuses to play Kanter or O'Quinn over him. That energy and defense is what we need to stop being an isolation heavy team.

WP76
Member: #4508

12/30/2017  9:42 PM
Give Noah credit for his effort in tonight's win. However, I'm not ready to give him major minutes yet. He's easy to gameplan, can't create his own shot, and offensively it's four on five for us when he's on the floor. Again, good effort but still have to tap the brakes a little bit.
nyknickzingis

12/30/2017  9:56 PM
WP76 wrote:Give Noah credit for his effort in tonight's win. However, I'm not ready to give him major minutes yet. He's easy to gameplan, can't create his own shot, and offensively it's four on five for us when he's on the floor. Again, good effort but still have to tap the brakes a little bit.

I don't think it's 4 on 5 if he's rolling to the basket like he was tonight.

I agree completely can't make the statement that he's back just based on 1 night. It could be a mirage or fluke.
But this was how Noah played in his peak. He was this active, this much impact, for about 30 minutes a night. He's a great passer, great screen setter and roller. It's not 4 on 5 if your big is able to set screens to open up shots for others. Noah knows how to do many things on offense. What I hate about when we play with Kanter, Kanter rarely sees the open man with a pass. He'll set a very good screen, but his rolling has not always been great. But that's not what I dislike. I really dislike how we get so clogged up in the lane with Kanter and slow down.

The question is all about health. If he's not healthy, it's not worth it to invest in Noah as a rotation guy. However so far this season whenever I have seen him, he looks healthy. He looked in preseason action as well. If he's really healthy, use him in a 20 to 25 minutes a night role. I think a healty Noah is one of the better Centers in the league.

Worth trying perhaps this rotation a few games

Kanter (16) O'Quinn (12) Noah (14). This leaves 6 minutes at the end of the games, where you can decide which 5 to close the game with. Could even be Porzingis at 5. All depends on how they are playing. One thing I'm sure about, there's no way this team is moving forward or going to be a playoff team if Kanter is playing 30 minutes a game and is our second option, and we're posting him up a lot. That just won't work.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/30/2017  10:06 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
WP76 wrote:Give Noah credit for his effort in tonight's win. However, I'm not ready to give him major minutes yet. He's easy to gameplan, can't create his own shot, and offensively it's four on five for us when he's on the floor. Again, good effort but still have to tap the brakes a little bit.

I agree completely can't make the statement that he's back just based on 1 night. It could be a mirage or fluke.
But this was how Noah played in his peak. He was this active, this much impact, for about 30 minutes a night. He's a great passer, great screen setter and roller. It's not 4 on 5 if your big is able to set screens to open up shots for others. Noah knows how to do many things on offense. What I hate about when we play with Kanter, Kanter rarely sees the open man with a pass. He'll set a very good screen, but his rolling has not always been great. But that's not what I dislike. I really dislike how we get so clogged up in the lane with Kanter and slow down.

The question is all about health. If he's not healthy, it's not worth it to invest in Noah as a rotation guy. However so far this season whenever I have seen him, he looks healthy. He looked in preseason action as well. If he's really healthy, use him in a 20 to 25 minutes a night role. I think a healty Noah is one of the better Centers in the league.

Kanter (16) O'Quinn (12) Noah (14). This leaves 6 minutes at the end of the games, where you can decide which 5 to close the game with. Could even be Porzingis at 5. All depends on how they are playing. One thing I'm sure about, there's no way this team is moving forward or going to be a playoff team if Kanter is playing 30 minutes a game and is our second option, and we're posting him up a lot. That just won't work.

Agree. Noah has looked good in his few brief minutes this year. He’s been active defensively and there is need for that IMO.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
12/30/2017  10:19 PM
nixluva wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

Agree. Noah has looked good in his few brief minutes this year. He’s been active defensively and there is need for that IMO.

wow. u're really ready to dismiss everything kanter's given us this year? If he hadn't gotten hurt to the point where he was throwing down crutches to take the court anc if thj weren't out for so long i bet our record would be very different and kanter would be getting a very different review on this board.

nyknickzingis

12/30/2017  10:21 PM
nixluva wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

The irony was that he didn't help as much on defense, as he did on offense. He was so active in screen setting, getting up the court that the offense had to start a bit sooner. With Kanter and KP, we begin the offense slower and start to fall into a trop feeding. Feeding mentality is the worst on offense. You want activity, ball movement, player movement. Then when the shot clock winds down, you look for an isolation player to bail you out because you can't get that other offense.

What I've noticed with Porzingis/Kamter, when they play together, we begin to play more and more like that. Because both are good scorers. Both can post up and score in isolations. Without Tim, it's only made matters worse as Tim was able to create from outside. The lack of a point guard that can attack the basket and get players open looks is another issue that makes things worse for Kanter/KP,

All I'm saying is I've seen enough of the league right now to know that if you're playing a post up guy at 5 and 4 that's also looking to post up (even if he's out of the low post) it won't work on offense at a high level. We're not a better team this year because of offense, we're a better team this year because we have more active players who defend and the team's effort/energy level is much higher.

On offense I think we could be playing much better if we made some lineup adjustments and when we get a healthy THj back.

nyknickzingis

12/30/2017  10:28 PM
Marv wrote:
nixluva wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

wow. u're really ready to dismiss everything kanter's given us this year? If he hadn't gotten hurt to the point where he was throwing down crutches to take the court anc if thj weren't out for so long i bet our record would be very different and kanter would be getting a very different review on this board.

Kanter's impact has been huge off the court.
I think he's given the team an identity and togetherness.
It's really good when you have a player like that.

What I'm debating is what his true role should be.
I'm not advocating giving Kanter DNP-Coaches decision. I'm advocating Kanter posting up less, or the team running an offense where Kanter is not posting up when KP is out there with him. Or perhaps playing KP more with O'Quinn and Noah, and Kamter more with Beasley or Lance Thomas at the 4.

We should try to get better on offense because it's holding us back. Post ups and going to Kanter inside is one of the worst things we should be trying to do. We fall into a trap when we do this. We get into a game where you have two good scoring bigs - KP and Kamter - both working hard to be try and fed the ball. This slows down the offense, gives it to no real other option and this is what I call falling into a trap. You feed them a few times and they score easily and you think, hey I can keep doing this. Only the defense adjusts makes the post entry passes harder and all of a sudden you have no offense.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
12/30/2017  10:41 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
Marv wrote:
nixluva wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

Kanter's impact has been huge off the court.
I think he's given the team an identity and togetherness.
It's really good when you have a player like that.

What I'm debating is what his true role should be.
I'm not advocating giving Kanter DNP-Coaches decision. I'm advocating Kanter posting up less, or the team running an offense where Kanter is not posting up when KP is out there with him. Or perhaps playing KP more with O'Quinn and Noah, and Kamter more with Beasley or Lance Thomas at the 4.

We should try to get better on offense because it's holding us back. Post ups and going to Kanter inside is one of the worst things we should be trying to do. We fall into a trap when we do this. We get into a game where you have two good scoring bigs - KP and Kamter - both working hard to be try and fed the ball. This slows down the offense, gives it to no real other option and this is what I call falling into a trap. You feed them a few times and they score easily and you think, hey I can keep doing this. Only the defense adjusts makes the post entry passes harder and all of a sudden you have no offense.

i don't see what this team has established on offense at all this year other than kp/ek inside and then others playing off it once it's gotten going.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/31/2017  9:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/31/2017  9:03 AM
According to MSG, KP/Kanter are the second most efficient frontcourt combo in the league, the best being Davis/Cousins.

Bet you guys anything. We could trade for an even better center than Kanter, and would hear almost immediately (Briggs) that we need another upgrade.

As for Noah, give him stretches where he can go all out. Try to get another team interested. In the meantime, a healthy Noah (with playoff experience) would be a big plus if he can stay healthy for the rest of the season, into hopefully the post season.

reub
Member: #6227

12/31/2017  10:17 AM
Horny went with the "never trust anybody younger than 30" lineup in crunch time and it worked. Plus our two prized young jewels of course.
nyknickzingis

12/31/2017  10:43 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/31/2017  10:50 AM
GustavBahler wrote:According to MSG, KP/Kanter are the second most efficient frontcourt combo in the league, the best being Davis/Cousins.

Bet you guys anything. We could trade for an even better center than Kanter, and would hear almost immediately (Briggs) that we need another upgrade.

As for Noah, give him stretches where he can go all out. Try to get another team interested. In the meantime, a healthy Noah (with playoff experience) would be a big plus if he can stay healthy for the rest of the season, into hopefully the post season.

The on/off lineup is more important.
Kanter is a -2.2 on the court and a +3.3 without him.
It's a 5 point swing.

Why?
Not because Kanter isn't a good player, but because I think Kanter is most effective with a stretch 4 like Lance Thomas or even Beasley, than Porzingis. Porzingis and Kanter have become very predictable, they post up and the offense slows down. Jeff wants the team to speed things up and get some quicker action going.

For example O'Quinn is a +3.1 with him, and -0.7 without him. Individually Kanter is better than O'Quinn, but what O'Quinn is able to do for us with his passing and shooting from distance, it really makes the team and unit as a hole better. This isn't about what Kanter can do individually, it's about what the advanced stats say about his net impact on the team. To be honest, I have yet to see a single argument based on statistics that Kanter is a core player for this team deserving of 30 minutes a night on a Porzingis led team. I think if we had a typical role player stretch 4 starting, Kanter could be a 18/12 core guy for us. However with the team being built around Porzingis, I think Kanter's best role would be in the 18 to 20 minutes range and he should be told to focus more on screen setting and rolling to the basket when KP is out there with him than posting up (even though he is very good at posting up). WHen KP is out, Kanter should go to work inside. Just my opinion based on what I've seen this season and the on/off numbers.

nyknickzingis

12/31/2017  10:47 AM
MS wrote:Plenty of minutes to go around at the 4/5.
KP - 35
OQ -20
Noah - 15
Kanter - 30

Noah gets up in peoples faces and a few minutes each quarter to keep the intensity up is exactly what the team needs.

Can't play O'Quinn at 4. His position is 5. Porzingis should get about 30 a night at 4 to keep him fresh. His backup should be a mobile active stretch 4 like Lance Thomas or Beasley. At 5, we should go with a 3 headed monster for now. Kanter, O'Quinn and Noah. Maybe give Kanter 7 minutes at the start of each half, then bring in O'Quinn to close to the quarter. Start the second Q with Noah for a 6 minute run. Close the half based on which Center had the most impact and best match up that particular night.

It sucks that Willy can't even get a minute, but at some point I'm sure the management will make a decision on what to do.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/31/2017  11:55 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:According to MSG, KP/Kanter are the second most efficient frontcourt combo in the league, the best being Davis/Cousins.

It's a 5 point swing.

Why?
Not because Kanter isn't a good player, but because I think Kanter is most effective with a stretch 4 like Lance Thomas or even Beasley, than Porzingis. Porzingis and Kanter have become very predictable, they post up and the offense slows down. Jeff wants the team to speed things up and get some quicker action going.

For example O'Quinn is a +3.1 with him, and -0.7 without him. Individually Kanter is better than O'Quinn, but what O'Quinn is able to do for us with his passing and shooting from distance, it really makes the team and unit as a hole better. This isn't about what Kanter can do individually, it's about what the advanced stats say about his net impact on the team. To be honest, I have yet to see a single argument based on statistics that Kanter is a core player for this team deserving of 30 minutes a night on a Porzingis led team. I think if we had a typical role player stretch 4 starting, Kanter could be a 18/12 core guy for us. However with the team being built around Porzingis, I think Kanter's best role would be in the 18 to 20 minutes range and he should be told to focus more on screen setting and rolling to the basket when KP is out there with him than posting up (even though he is very good at posting up). WHen KP is out, Kanter should go to work inside. Just my opinion based on what I've seen this season and the on/off numbers.

When the starting PG is at the bottom of the league in getting to the rim, getting to the line, 3pt shooting. The +\- of Kanter and the rest of the starting lineup means little. By most indicators, Kanter is getting the job done, and then some.

Kanter cant move the ball like O'Quinn, and KOQ can't dominate inside like Kanter can. I have yet to hear a good argument that Kanter only puts up empty stats, like David Lee did for most of his career. I doubt we would be in the hunt for the playoffs without Kanter.

Plug in a legit starting PG, in his prime, and I'll bet you Kanter's +/- improves.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/31/2017  12:18 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

It's a 5 point swing.

Why?

When the starting PG is at the bottom of the league in getting to the rim, getting to the line, 3pt shooting. The +\- of Kanter and the rest of the starting lineup means little. By most indicators, Kanter is getting the job done, and then some.

Kanter cant move the ball like O'Quinn, and KOQ can't dominate inside like Kanter can. I have yet to hear a good argument that Kanter only puts up empty stats, like David Lee did for most of his career. I doubt we would be in the hunt for the playoffs without Kanter.

Plug in a legit starting PG, in his prime, and I'll bet you Kanter's +/- improves.

Agree. Just posted an article on Kanter in its own thread. More stats:
The Turkish big man currently ranks second in offensive rebound rate (16.6 percent) and fourth in overall rebound rate (22.8 percent) among qualified players.

What’s more, the 25-year-old has scored an absurd 119 points off of put-backs in 2017-18, the second-highest total in the league, trailing only Andre Drummond.

Among players with over 100 post-up opportunities this season (passes included), Kanter ranks No. 3 in points per possession (PPP) at 1.04. That mark only trails Denver Nuggets star Nikola Jokic (1.09) and Minnesota Timberwolves freak Karl-Anthony Towns (1.05), per Synergy Sports Tech.

the New York Knickerbocker is now averaging 1.4 assists per contest. Prior to 2017-18, Kanter had never averaged more than 0.9 nightly dimes, making his vast improvement as a distributor all the more impressive.

when Kanter has been double-teamed on the left block this season, his passing out to shooters has produced 1.35 PPP, the best rate in the league, per Synergy.

Kanter is also on pace to finish the season with positive scores in both Defensive Box Plus/Minus, as well as NBA Math’s Defensive Points Saved – a feat the 6-foot-11 bruiser has never accomplished before.

Overall, Kanter is averaging 13.7 points and 10.3 rebounds per outing. He’s hitting a career-high 59.3 percent of his field-goal attempts and a career-best 88.7 percent of his freebies.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/12/29/enes-kanter-is-enjoying-the-best-season-of-his-career-and-other-players-have-taken-notice/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
mattshaw78
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #915
12/31/2017  1:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/31/2017  1:22 PM
How was this not an offensive foul?

BlueSeats "I like anyone who can make Lebron cry. Melo seems to do it a lot."
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/31/2017  1:36 PM
mattshaw78 wrote:How was this not an offensive foul?

he's never gonna get that call. It was a stupid play by Baker to throw his body up there when AD had a clear dunk. One could say AD was simply protecting himself there also.

Great game. I know they coughed up a big lead but surviving crunch time is what its all about.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Juliano
Member: #7589

12/31/2017  7:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/1/2018  9:30 AM
fishmike wrote:he's never gonna get that call. It was a stupid play by Baker to throw his body up there when AD had a clear dunk. One could say AD was simply protecting himself there also.

Doens't seem very intuitive though that someone could smash another people's face like this yet still get the call.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

12/31/2017  8:47 PM
Juliano wrote:
fishmike wrote:he's never gonna get that call. It was a stupid play by Baker to throw his body up there when AD had a clear dunk. One could say AD was simply protecting himself there also.

Doens't seem very intuitive though that someone could smash another pepople's face like this yet still get the call.

It's not intuitive,it's plain stupid. This is why NBA loses fans every year, idiotic rules enhanced why ridiculous officiating.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/1/2018  11:33 AM
Juliano wrote:

Doens't seem very intuitive though that someone could smash another people's face like this yet still get the call.
watch it again. Baker is lucky all he got is a black eye. Baker had no position and threw his body in between AD and the rim. A stupid play. You think AD tried to hurt Baker? If anything AD was 100% right to protect himself from a guard who instead of letting a big man take his dunk decided to do something stupid and was rewarded accordingly.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
GameThread: In the Big Easy

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy