[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

do you really think frank has the ability to be a top 8 pg in this league
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/29/2017  3:39 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:Frank is going to be great. He is a rookie who plays under control. It’s these type of players that win championships and lead. They put importance in team work as opposed to individual recognition. They are selfless always willing to help other get theirs and keep everyone moving and expecting the next pass.

You think he won’t be a double digit scorer in the NBA. I think he will I see Frank Averaging anywhere from 14-18 points and 8-10 assists while giving the Knicks stellar defense.

Curious, in a time when players like Steph, Irving, Wall, Lowry, Harden are pushing the pace and raining threes, who exactly are you referring to that plays like Frank and winning chips?

Think the argument is not so much about how Frank is doing as a rookie but was that type of player worth an 8 pick.

You remember Lowry when he was a rookie? How many threes does Wall rain down? Irving was a #1 pick? My point is that your chances of pulling a franchise guard at 8 are slim to begin with. Go look at draft histories and see how realistic that is. We got the best two-way PG prospect in the draft, so yes, I think that was worth a gamble at 8.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG

12/29/2017  3:41 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:Frank is going to be great. He is a rookie who plays under control. It’s these type of players that win championships and lead. They put importance in team work as opposed to individual recognition. They are selfless always willing to help other get theirs and keep everyone moving and expecting the next pass.

You think he won’t be a double digit scorer in the NBA. I think he will I see Frank Averaging anywhere from 14-18 points and 8-10 assists while giving the Knicks stellar defense.

That would be amazing. Right now I see him becoming a 10 and 5 guy that shares the position with an Ish Smith type point. I hope you are right.
10.1 points, 5.9 assists, 3.7 rebounds, 2.3 steals, and 1.1 three-point field goals made per 36 minute

Thats Frank NOW dude. So at 19 and 30 games into his NBA career and you see him becoming pretty much the same a what he is now with a few more minutes?

The Knicks have a guy on their roster who's per 36 is 10 pts 15 rebs, 5 assists and 3+ blocks. Not expecting to ever see that though. The numbers you posted are right around where I think Frank lands. I hope I am mistaken and that he finds an aggressiveness on offense that makes him more effective as a point guard. He is very young and by all accounts a high character kid that wants to learn.

I don't think he needs more aggressiveness to become more efficient. Rasing the efficiency in what he does currently can lead to more aggressiveness though.

He hardly takes bad shots. All his shot come in the flow of the offense. He also rarely gets the ball back on kick outs from his teammates once he passes though. He is isn't at the level where he feels it's his team and he has to make it happen for them which will come with time and experience. But back to the original thought. Based off the shots that he takes he could easily be a 50% shooter since they are mostly good looks. If he shoots only 10 times a game at 50%. With 2 of them being 3s. That would be an easy 12 pts a game without including FTs.

So there is the route that he can take where he becomes very efficient with the good shots he does take. Which would bring him and the team to another level by itself. Great defense and efficient shooting within the flow of a game reducing is what Kwahi's game is all about and less him to be an MVP calibre player. Remember when he played great defense on LeBron while averaging like 25-30pts in the finals because his buckets all came with easy off of efficient team play?

Your description of him on offense reminds of Jose Calderon.

Calderon with Frank's defense would be a hell of a player!

People forget how good Calderon was offensively in Toronto. We got the broken down version in NY.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

12/29/2017  3:53 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

That would be amazing. Right now I see him becoming a 10 and 5 guy that shares the position with an Ish Smith type point. I hope you are right.

https://dailyknicks.com/2017/12/29/new-york-knicks-frank-ntilikina-flashes-potential/

The performance against San Antonio continued what’s been an excellent month for the rookie. Through 14 December games, Ntilikina is averaging 11.2 points, 5.5 assists, 4.1 rebounds, 1.9 steals, and 1.3 three-point field goals made per 36 minutes.

So you're assuming he won't make any improvements from the first 30 or so games of his rookie season?

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/29/2017  3:59 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

10.1 points, 5.9 assists, 3.7 rebounds, 2.3 steals, and 1.1 three-point field goals made per 36 minute

Thats Frank NOW dude. So at 19 and 30 games into his NBA career and you see him becoming pretty much the same a what he is now with a few more minutes?

The Knicks have a guy on their roster who's per 36 is 10 pts 15 rebs, 5 assists and 3+ blocks. Not expecting to ever see that though. The numbers you posted are right around where I think Frank lands. I hope I am mistaken and that he finds an aggressiveness on offense that makes him more effective as a point guard. He is very young and by all accounts a high character kid that wants to learn.

I don't think he needs more aggressiveness to become more efficient. Rasing the efficiency in what he does currently can lead to more aggressiveness though.

He hardly takes bad shots. All his shot come in the flow of the offense. He also rarely gets the ball back on kick outs from his teammates once he passes though. He is isn't at the level where he feels it's his team and he has to make it happen for them which will come with time and experience. But back to the original thought. Based off the shots that he takes he could easily be a 50% shooter since they are mostly good looks. If he shoots only 10 times a game at 50%. With 2 of them being 3s. That would be an easy 12 pts a game without including FTs.

So there is the route that he can take where he becomes very efficient with the good shots he does take. Which would bring him and the team to another level by itself. Great defense and efficient shooting within the flow of a game reducing is what Kwahi's game is all about and less him to be an MVP calibre player. Remember when he played great defense on LeBron while averaging like 25-30pts in the finals because his buckets all came with easy off of efficient team play?

People forget how good Calderon was offensively in Toronto. We got the broken down version in NY.

his shot selection is suspect

for instance, he had mismatch with Aldridge, who gave him room to shoot a 16 foot jumper, but he also had room to go around him, and Aldridge would of gotten beat and almost definitely would have drew contact going the hole

95% of franks shots are from the perimeter, he is petrified of contact, that was the first thing I notice when looking at all his overseas highlights last summer.

ES
BigDaddyG

12/29/2017  4:11 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

for instance, he had mismatch with Aldridge, who gave him room to shoot a 16 foot jumper, but he also had room to go around him, and Aldridge would of gotten beat and almost definitely would have drew contact going the hole

95% of franks shots are from the perimeter, he is petrified of contact, that was the first thing I notice when looking at all his overseas highlights last summer.

His shot selection maybe suspect now, but it's taken leaps and bounds just in the first 30 games of his rookie season. Factor in his age and frame and he will get stronger physically. That will allow him to take more contact and feel more comfortable at the time
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/29/2017  4:21 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

In your opinion what do you think is the reasoning behind that? I can't tell if it's due to him being scared of getting injured type of thing. Or if it's due to him not being confident in his finishing ability vs bigs. So he stays where he is more comfortable taking jumpers here and there?

The dream would be to see him down the road cuff the ball when driving and the use his 7ft wingspan to extend one past the defender. But he also has to be able to absorb contact without getting completely thrown off his shot. Pull ups and floaters using his ability to extend is the dream as well.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/29/2017  4:59 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

In your opinion what do you think is the reasoning behind that? I can't tell if it's due to him being scared of getting injured type of thing. Or if it's due to him not being confident in his finishing ability vs bigs. So he stays where he is more comfortable taking jumpers here and there?

The dream would be to see him down the road cuff the ball when driving and the use his 7ft wingspan to extend one past the defender. But he also has to be able to absorb contact without getting completely thrown off his shot. Pull ups and floaters using his ability to extend is the dream as well.

I just think it starts from a kid, THJ was going to the hole his first season In college, like that's how he was taught to play from day one. with a player like ROSE, who also avoids contact to the point the refs never give him the call, he just wants to avoid injury, because prior to the knicks he lived at the FT line.

French players have never been the aggressive or physical type, with the exception of parker and I think diaw

ES
JesseDark
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #467
12/29/2017  5:05 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I just think it starts from a kid, THJ was going to the hole his first season In college, like that's how he was taught to play from day one. with a player like ROSE, who also avoids contact to the point the refs never give him the call, he just wants to avoid injury, because prior to the knicks he lived at the FT line.

French players have never been the aggressive or physical type, with the exception of parker and I think diaw

I agree with your assessment. I don't know if you can develop a killer instinct at 19 20 year old. He should spend his summer here in the states and play in as many summer leagues as possible.

Bring back dee-fense
reub
Member: #6227

12/29/2017  5:12 PM
JesseDark wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I agree with your assessment. I don't know if you can develop a killer instinct at 19 20 year old. He should spend his summer here in the states and play in as many summer leagues as possible.

Why do people love to stereotype about "French players" or any other groups of people? It's really not cool to do that sort of thing.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/29/2017  5:31 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I only know of the successful french players. Parker, Batum, Gobert, Diaw. Can't really speak on that.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BigDaddyG

12/29/2017  5:56 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I only know of the successful french players. Parker, Batum, Gobert, Diaw. Can't really speak on that.

Batum is a good example. He was killed for not being an aggressive offensive player earlier in his career. He is still more of a facilitator, but he has gotten more aggressive throughout his career. Diaw is another guy. He was killed for over passing in his early years. He has gotten better at recognizing mismatches as he's gotten older and fatter.
Ira
Member: #91
12/29/2017  6:52 PM
By his third year, I expect Frank will be scoring in the 14-18 area with healthy percentages. More importantly, he'll be among the league leaders in steals and assists.
dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
12/29/2017  6:52 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Man... seriously... I was about to post how absolutely ridiculous your entry post of the thread was... you know... thinking you'd be able to judge a 10yr old kids career based on 32 games he played... but then I read this post and its even mor ridiculous.

Put some perspective in your judgement at least - if you can!
The kid is 19yrs old... he has already played against grown man for a couple of yrs now which is a HUGE difference to ANYTHING the NCAA is or Highschool! He has NOT been in a role where he had to score much but was playing to his strenghts rather... to benefit his team which was playing MEANINGFUL games without "teaching moments" for a kid!
The only instances he did have to carry a team scoringwise was with the U-national team of France where he scored in BUNCHES against peers!

NOW... he is in the US... shows that his strong parts of the game DO translate to the NBA level ALREADY despite him being a young kid (second youngest rook as you know!)... he does help his team AGAIN with this BUT does not yet score or show the offensive awareness he will need... btw he does show skills on offense in the instances he is looking for it... you might have missed that!
He has, by ALL accounts been very coachable and there is NO reason to believe his 32 game performance of the rookie season will define his limits on offense! NONE!!!

And you call him out on not being a double digit scorer ever!!! You sir... are trolling on this... or just have NO idea of this sport!!!

In terms of future projections (and I am aware that for me as well the sample is a 32 game rook season!!!) rather seems to be a Rondo in his prime or Billups... you may know... both were rather successful with their style of play and their teams!

D out!

Welpee
Member: #6239

12/29/2017  7:06 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Teams are now playing way off him, giving him lanes, space, and he refuses to shoot. His in ability to score is having an effect on the entire team. Even as a rookie he should be showing signs that he can score when needed, and that has happen maybe twice this entire season, and only for a few min.

This kid has career avg's of 4ppg for a reason, and that's cool if that's not his game, but is that the kind of pg we want running JH system, a coach who is preaching run, run, run, and shoot more 3's, and that's really not franks game at all..

How many times have you seen him brick a mid range jumper with a wide open lane, he is going to be like that for his career, his mind set is defense, defense, defense. And before you say he's just young and he's learning , think about Shump, and how he use to run down the court top speed, only to stop by the 3 point line and wait for the defense.

players get stronger and wiser in this leagues, very really do they change their entire game as they get older, frank will never be a double digit scorer. In the right role frank has good value, but in a system like MDA or JH, not a good look

Newsflash: Frank is 19 years old with only 30+ games of NBA experience. At this point I'm looking for flashes not a finished product. Conversely, Channing Frye had moments his rookie year where he looked like future all-star. Didn't quite work out that way.

Can we give the kid more than 30+ games to develop?

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

12/29/2017  7:14 PM
Uptown wrote:
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

The last time the Knicks went to the finals they had a platoon system going where it was Ward And Childs. As long as the team is winning who cares how they are getting it done.

It was a different league then...the game was still played inside out during those times. Now, its a perimeter oriented game...

Yep its not even the same as it was in 2003 with the Pistons team that keeps being brought up here
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
BigDaddyG

12/29/2017  7:35 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

The last time the Knicks went to the finals they had a platoon system going where it was Ward And Childs. As long as the team is winning who cares how they are getting it done.

It was a different league then...the game was still played inside out during those times. Now, its a perimeter oriented game...

Yep its not even the same as it was in 2003 with the Pistons team that keeps being brought up here

What does the style of play have to do with strategy you use to add talent? Of course, you adjust accordingly. But it shouldn't have any bearing going forward. And TBH...that Piston's team could still compete today. Rasheed Wallace was already an inside outside guy and Wallace could be used the same way we use Enes, as a half a game guy. Go small with either Dice or Wallace at 5 and Prince at 4. Heck, Billups was already gaming the system with the three point line.
Also, Frank has shown he can hit the j off the dribble and he'll only improve with age. Does he look to slow? I think he's shown he can get the ball up the floor quickly the last couple of games. The only thing he has in common with Ward is that they both played D, they're both tough and they manage at a controlled pace. I don't think I ever saw Ward make many on ball steals and go coast to coast for dunks. The physical profile alone gives home a higher profile.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

12/29/2017  7:38 PM
dodger78 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Man... seriously... I was about to post how absolutely ridiculous your entry post of the thread was... you know... thinking you'd be able to judge a 10yr old kids career based on 32 games he played... but then I read this post and its even mor ridiculous.

Put some perspective in your judgement at least - if you can!
The kid is 19yrs old... he has already played against grown man for a couple of yrs now which is a HUGE difference to ANYTHING the NCAA is or Highschool! He has NOT been in a role where he had to score much but was playing to his strenghts rather... to benefit his team which was playing MEANINGFUL games without "teaching moments" for a kid!
The only instances he did have to carry a team scoringwise was with the U-national team of France where he scored in BUNCHES against peers!

NOW... he is in the US... shows that his strong parts of the game DO translate to the NBA level ALREADY despite him being a young kid (second youngest rook as you know!)... he does help his team AGAIN with this BUT does not yet score or show the offensive awareness he will need... btw he does show skills on offense in the instances he is looking for it... you might have missed that!
He has, by ALL accounts been very coachable and there is NO reason to believe his 32 game performance of the rookie season will define his limits on offense! NONE!!!

And you call him out on not being a double digit scorer ever!!! You sir... are trolling on this... or just have NO idea of this sport!!!

In terms of future projections (and I am aware that for me as well the sample is a 32 game rook season!!!) rather seems to be a Rondo in his prime or Billups... you may know... both were rather successful with their style of play and their teams!

D out!

he has made multiple threads about this so i dont put too much stock in what he says. Frank has shown good progress as the season has gone alone. Im excited to see how he is next season and i do predict his offense will increase pretty dramatically
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

12/29/2017  7:46 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Curious, in a time when players like Steph, Irving, Wall, Lowry, Harden are pushing the pace and raining threes, who exactly are you referring to that plays like Frank and winning chips?

Think the argument is not so much about how Frank is doing as a rookie but was that type of player worth an 8 pick.

You remember Lowry when he was a rookie? How many threes does Wall rain down? Irving was a #1 pick? My point is that your chances of pulling a franchise guard at 8 are slim to begin with. Go look at draft histories and see how realistic that is. We got the best two-way PG prospect in the draft, so yes, I think that was worth a gamble at 8.

Your skating. All these players are known for their offense. Which team has won a chip recently because of their two way guard? And again, not knocking Frank, think he has shown signs of being able to be a good player, but you really don't think we could have picked up a two way vet in free agency or another two way player later in the draft? I do.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
BigDaddyG

12/29/2017  8:44 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Your skating. All these players are known for their offense. Which team has won a chip recently because of their two way guard? And again, not knocking Frank, think he has shown signs of being able to be a good player, but you really don't think we could have picked up a two way vet in free agency or another two way player later in the draft? I do.

Which team has one a championship based on the play of a dominant PG the last few years? I can only think of one. Kyrie was a de-facto shooting guard. Tony Parker was never the number one option on his team. Did you mean Mario Chalmers?

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
12/29/2017  10:28 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Mario Chalmers, Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd all these guys won Championships they could all score yes but what makes you think that Frank won’t be as good a scorer as those mentioned. Frank has been hitting the three of late and can be improved on. Now I said I see a player that can average 14-18 points and 8-10 assist is that bad. I mean that is Kidd like and Nash like and CP3 like. What would be so bad about that. Just because he might not go off like Curry or Westbrook. How many have those.

You guys acting like Frank ain’t gonna improve he is going to just like KP and others have improved.

do you really think frank has the ability to be a top 8 pg in this league

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy