Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
12/29/2017  11:18 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:He's still developing.

To me it looks like he isn't strong enough to establish deep position in the paint. And in the instances that he sets picks he usually looks to pop over roll. He tries to use his 7'3 to shoot over defenders due to his height and length from mid range or 3 since he isn't having much success establishing deep position and gets pushed out the paint. His face up taking players off the dribble game still needs work as well. He often looks for a crossover step back jumper or a running hook that has had poor results. Needs a little more body control before releasing the shot.

Attacking guards would open some things up for him. I'm sure Hardaway Jr took a ton of pressure off of him from defenses early on in the yr and now he isn't here(hopefully comes back early Jan). But that would only hide parts of his game that he needs to figure out.

He isn't close to his prime and still has room to grown.

There has been always been this running joke about how Knicks fans would have tore down Steph Curry after his first 3 yrs due to lack of team success and his ankle injuries...

Tony Parker made a comment when discussing Frank about how he doesn't know if NY would be able to patient and let him develop. Looks like this is the perception of us around the league.

Clyde compared Parker and Frank last night. He said Tony came into the league as a point guard. In regards to Frank, he said Frank needed to learn how to. Play point. It would be much easier to be patient if the Knicks had an aggressive guard that put pressure on the defense. Hopefully Hardaway is back soon.

Yea I heard him say that last night. But dont really agree about him learning to be a point guard. Learning to be a scoring guard in the NBA sure. Sure there are many intricacies if being a PG in the NBA that he still has to develop. But there is nothing that tells me that he can't develop them. He dropped 11 ast last night at 19 yrs old vs the Spurs.

Lack of patient is strictly due to double standards and bias. He has to play a specific way or he isn't given the same exact level of patience.

No but with Hardaway out his deficits at this point are much more noticeable. Wanting Frank to display more aggression on offense seems reasonable. Progressing from passing the ball as soon as he crosses the half court line to keeping it for one more step and then stopping and waiting for something to evolve is not what I was hoping for. I am hoping there is a lot of growth in his offensive game this offseason.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
12/29/2017  11:35 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

To me it looks like he isn't strong enough to establish deep position in the paint. And in the instances that he sets picks he usually looks to pop over roll. He tries to use his 7'3 to shoot over defenders due to his height and length from mid range or 3 since he isn't having much success establishing deep position and gets pushed out the paint. His face up taking players off the dribble game still needs work as well. He often looks for a crossover step back jumper or a running hook that has had poor results. Needs a little more body control before releasing the shot.

Attacking guards would open some things up for him. I'm sure Hardaway Jr took a ton of pressure off of him from defenses early on in the yr and now he isn't here(hopefully comes back early Jan). But that would only hide parts of his game that he needs to figure out.

There has been always been this running joke about how Knicks fans would have tore down Steph Curry after his first 3 yrs due to lack of team success and his ankle injuries...

Tony Parker made a comment when discussing Frank about how he doesn't know if NY would be able to patient and let him develop. Looks like this is the perception of us around the league.

Clyde compared Parker and Frank last night. He said Tony came into the league as a point guard. In regards to Frank, he said Frank needed to learn how to. Play point. It would be much easier to be patient if the Knicks had an aggressive guard that put pressure on the defense. Hopefully Hardaway is back soon.

Yea I heard him say that last night. But dont really agree about him learning to be a point guard. Learning to be a scoring guard in the NBA sure. Sure there are many intricacies if being a PG in the NBA that he still has to develop. But there is nothing that tells me that he can't develop them. He dropped 11 ast last night at 19 yrs old vs the Spurs.

Lack of patient is strictly due to double standards and bias. He has to play a specific way or he isn't given the same exact level of patience.

No but with Hardaway out his deficits at this point are much more noticeable. Wanting Frank to display more aggression on offense seems reasonable. Progressing from passing the ball as soon as he crosses the half court line to keeping it for one more step and then stopping and waiting for something to evolve is not what I was hoping for. I am hoping there is a lot of growth in his offensive game this offseason.

Wasnt specifically a speaking toward you, was more so speaking in general. Could even be subconsciously.

I would like Frank to keep the ball more as well and look to playmake way more as well. I don't know if him giving it up so early is by design though. Looks like they always are in a formation when he does that as if it's planned. One thing I would like him to do is get a little deeper in the paint before he looks to set up the pass off the pick.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
12/29/2017  12:29 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Wasnt specifically a speaking toward you, was more so speaking in general. Could even be subconsciously.

I would like Frank to keep the ball more as well and look to playmake way more as well. I don't know if him giving it up so early is by design though. Looks like they always are in a formation when he does that as if it's planned. One thing I would like him to do is get a little deeper in the paint before he looks to set up the pass off the pick.

It appears to be the play call. A lot times he gets it right back and starts the motion.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/29/2017  12:45 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Forget franchise player--can you take better shots KP? Those first 5 games were fools gold. He takes bad shots he doesnt pass over dribbles and under rebounds. The guy can be very very good. He really needs to rethink his game. He might be better of emulating Lamarcus Aldrdige--take better shots closer to the basket--youre 7-3?

This thread was very predictable. He's far from the perfect player at age 22. But he has no PG who he can run P&R with. And with Hardaway out, it takes away a guy who can create shots and puts that much more pressure on him. In addition, he has taken a major step forward defensively this year. He doesn't get routinely beat by perimeter players like last year and is bordering on elite. He's the best rim protector in the league percentage wise. I think some of the critique is fair, but he has proven to be a franchise player in every sense and this shooting % talk is just minor stuff you are looking way too much into.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/29/2017  12:49 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:I agree, a lot of his game in modeled along the lines of Melo. He is now ball stopping and taking bad shots. He did cut this down a lot in that second half against the Spurs - but he never looks to pass. Aldridge was like a clinic today and KP and KOQ got punked. But rumor has it, it's because the PG play...

He definitely has a lot of Melo in his game no doubt. The major difference is Porzingis is dedicated to the defensive end and is moving towards an elite defensive player. I do believe a lot of this is the result of Hardaway being out finally catching up with him. Bottom line is we need other guys who can create shots, or KP will have to shoulder the load more than any player is expected to. The offense stalls because no one can create plays, so the ball lands in his hands and has to go up.
KP shooting % is dropping as fast as the weather outside

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy