[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

KP shooting % is dropping as fast as the weather outside
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/28/2017  10:44 PM
Forget franchise player--can you take better shots KP? Those first 5 games were fools gold. He takes bad shots he doesnt pass over dribbles and under rebounds. The guy can be very very good. He really needs to rethink his game. He might be better of emulating Lamarcus Aldrdige--take better shots closer to the basket--youre 7-3?
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

12/28/2017  10:52 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Forget franchise player--can you take better shots KP? Those first 5 games were fools gold. He takes bad shots he doesnt pass over dribbles and under rebounds. The guy can be very very good. He really needs to rethink his game. He might be better of emulating Lamarcus Aldrdige--take better shots closer to the basket--youre 7-3?

shhh Briggs you can't criticize KP around here everyone will get upset. By the way everything you said is true

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

12/28/2017  11:08 PM
I agree, a lot of his game in modeled along the lines of Melo. He is now ball stopping and taking bad shots. He did cut this down a lot in that second half against the Spurs - but he never looks to pass. Aldridge was like a clinic today and KP and KOQ got punked. But rumor has it, it's because the PG play...
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Gudris
Member: #6213

12/29/2017  3:08 AM
yeah something needs to change, more 3s more dunks and less midrange
Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
12/29/2017  3:27 AM
He needs to get to the FT line more. Part of it is they’re allowing smaller defenders to stick their hand up and touch his elbow while shooting. Horny needs to raise a stink to the league.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/29/2017  4:01 AM
One reason Hornacek has been trying to get our PGs to push the ball, so the team doesnt get bogged down with ISO ball.

KP moves well without the ball, but the team has to pick up the pace.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/29/2017  7:11 AM
This was one of my key goals this season - could KP be a franchise player, and could he maintain performance through the year.

And just like last year, his performance (shooting %) is down each month:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porzikr01/splits/2018

October...478% - 364% 3pt
November...461% - 417% 3pt
December...402% - 333% 3pt

The bigger issue might be his road performance - looking at that split, he is a negative performer on the road.

That will be something he has to change if he wants to be a star.

I don't think you can blame the PG on that. Same PG each month, and yet he is performing worse.

January is going to be a killer - 4 home games, 16 road?!

I didn't expect KP to continue scoring 30 a game, but the drop off has been awful.

And who was the talking head on the national Christmas day broadcast criticizing him for not getting more rebounds? Was it Paul Pierce? I absolutely agree. KP should be able to get more. I know Kanter is a great rebounder, but still 6.7?!

Trading him might not be the worse thing to do. I don't know if his perceived value will ever be higher. Celtics over the summer perhaps had the best chance to trade us draft picks to max out a potential trade...

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/29/2017  8:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/29/2017  8:37 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:I agree, a lot of his game in modeled along the lines of Melo. He is now ball stopping and taking bad shots. He did cut this down a lot in that second half against the Spurs - but he never looks to pass. Aldridge was like a clinic today and KP and KOQ got punked. But rumor has it, it's because the PG play...

Ah....the Melo reference. Lmao. Think KP is playing well this year. He had the injury time which stopped his hot play. Im sure he stayed out of the gym during that time off. Have always said and agree that he needs to go back to more post up/interior play. Which he was doing at the begining of the year. He is learning that it is tough to be THE guy all year long. But think he is doing a good job his first year trying.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/29/2017  8:44 AM
A players shooting percentage will always be in the low 40% to upper 30% when all they take are mid range jumpers, and 3's.
ES
90sKnicks
Member: #6452

12/29/2017  8:58 AM
Happens every year. Plays like an all-star for about 10 games and then looks awful and/or is injured for the rest of the year. The best things Knicks fans can do is NOT vote for him for the all-star game. He could use the week off to rest and he doesn't deserve the accolade. I'd rather him come back hungry next year, understanding that you need to play at an all-star level for more than the first 10 games. He pretty much is just a jump shooter and shot blocker right now. He really has not improved in any aspect of his game.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/29/2017  9:29 AM
He's still developing.

To me it looks like he isn't strong enough to establish deep position in the paint. And in the instances that he sets picks he usually looks to pop over roll. He tries to use his 7'3 to shoot over defenders due to his height and length from mid range or 3 since he isn't having much success establishing deep position and gets pushed out the paint. His face up taking players off the dribble game still needs work as well. He often looks for a crossover step back jumper or a running hook that has had poor results. Needs a little more body control before releasing the shot.

Attacking guards would open some things up for him. I'm sure Hardaway Jr took a ton of pressure off of him from defenses early on in the yr and now he isn't here(hopefully comes back early Jan). But that would only hide parts of his game that he needs to figure out.

He isn't close to his prime and still has room to grown.

There has been always been this running joke about how Knicks fans would have tore down Steph Curry after his first 3 yrs due to lack of team success and his ankle injuries...

Tony Parker made a comment when discussing Frank about how he doesn't know if NY would be able to patient and let him develop. Looks like this is the perception of us around the league.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/29/2017  9:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/29/2017  9:46 AM
You want him taking more shots in the paint? In the 3 to 10 foot range, he's hitting 39% of his shots.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/29/2017  10:09 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:You want him taking more shots in the paint? In the 3 to 10 foot range, he's hitting 39% of his shots.

Yes I do. I want him to be more assertive in this area. Get the ball and go into a move. Be forceul with it. With reps he will score at 50% and get fouled a lot more.

RIP Crushalot😞
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/29/2017  10:16 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:He's still developing.

To me it looks like he isn't strong enough to establish deep position in the paint. And in the instances that he sets picks he usually looks to pop over roll. He tries to use his 7'3 to shoot over defenders due to his height and length from mid range or 3 since he isn't having much success establishing deep position and gets pushed out the paint. His face up taking players off the dribble game still needs work as well. He often looks for a crossover step back jumper or a running hook that has had poor results. Needs a little more body control before releasing the shot.

Attacking guards would open some things up for him. I'm sure Hardaway Jr took a ton of pressure off of him from defenses early on in the yr and now he isn't here(hopefully comes back early Jan). But that would only hide parts of his game that he needs to figure out.

There has been always been this running joke about how Knicks fans would have tore down Steph Curry after his first 3 yrs due to lack of team success and his ankle injuries...

Tony Parker made a comment when discussing Frank about how he doesn't know if NY would be able to patient and let him develop. Looks like this is the perception of us around the league.

Clyde compared Parker and Frank last night. He said Tony came into the league as a point guard. In regards to Frank, he said Frank needed to learn how to. Play point. It would be much easier to be patient if the Knicks had an aggressive guard that put pressure on the defense. Hopefully Hardaway is back soon.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
12/29/2017  10:18 AM
His strengths are moving without the ball and towards the basket. He needs to stop putting the damn ball on the floor so much. He is most effective that way an occasional post up and some threes. I really dislike the way he is being misused and KP is to blame to some degree because the element of the pass doesn’t exist. Now the team has basically two ball stoppers in Kanter and KP on the floor. Jumper is the easy way out. I saw Beasley rolling to the basket in 3 minutes than KP do in 3-4 games. He has to put the effort and concentration necessary to be more efficient it’s very important. He has to do 50% or better it’s a must for this teams success. If your best player is shooting below league norms it almost a given that the team is going to lose.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/29/2017  10:19 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:You want him taking more shots in the paint? In the 3 to 10 foot range, he's hitting 39% of his shots.

Yes I do. I want him to be more assertive in this area. Get the ball and go into a move. Be forceul with it. With reps he will score at 50% and get fouled a lot more.

He's never been a good scorer in the paint (other than dunking). What makes you think he can do this right now? Just the fact that he's tall? Scoring efficiently in the paint (other than dunks/layups) is remarkably hard. Usually the more shots you force, the lower your percentage.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/29/2017  10:53 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:He's still developing.

Clyde compared Parker and Frank last night. He said Tony came into the league as a point guard. In regards to Frank, he said Frank needed to learn how to. Play point. It would be much easier to be patient if the Knicks had an aggressive guard that put pressure on the defense. Hopefully Hardaway is back soon.

Yea I heard him say that last night. But dont really agree about him learning to be a point guard. Learning to be a scoring guard in the NBA sure. Sure there are many intricacies if being a PG in the NBA that he still has to develop. But there is nothing that tells me that he can't develop them. He dropped 11 ast last night at 19 yrs old vs the Spurs.

Lack of patient is strictly due to double standards and bias. He has to play a specific way or he isn't given the same exact level of patience.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Chandler
Member: #6197

12/29/2017  10:53 AM
Gudris wrote:yeah something needs to change, more 3s more dunks and less midrange

not sure I agree. I want more midrange but he needs to dribble less. that's when he has turn overs and the ball is lower. he needs to catch and keep the ball higher. Yes he will get tapped on the elbow some but those calls are easier to see if you're keeping the ball high

Instead of Lamarcus he needs to mimic some simple low post moves from McHale and Jabbar each of whom knew how to exploit their length advantage to the max. KP is getting defended by guys routinely 6"-8" shorter because they'll get up into his body and make him uncomfortable. He has to make them pay

(5)(5)
Chandler

12/29/2017  10:57 AM
BRIGGS wrote:

Me too. He has also been a non-factor on the offensive glass. Kanter is grabbing boards with three guys on him. KP has to be in there too ramming some misses home

Riley wanted Ewing's head under the rim (not because he thought that was an optimal spot, but because he wanted the vision in his mind to get really in the paint, not sort-of in the pain)

(5)(5)
Chandler

12/29/2017  11:01 AM
Vmart wrote:His strengths are moving without the ball and towards the basket. He needs to stop putting the damn ball on the floor so much. He is most effective that way an occasional post up and some threes. I really dislike the way he is being misused and KP is to blame to some degree because the element of the pass doesn’t exist. Now the team has basically two ball stoppers in Kanter and KP on the floor. Jumper is the easy way out. I saw Beasley rolling to the basket in 3 minutes than KP do in 3-4 games. He has to put the effort and concentration necessary to be more efficient it’s very important. He has to do 50% or better it’s a must for this teams success. If your best player is shooting below league norms it almost a given that the team is going to lose.

I agree with a lot of this. However, I don't mind him putting it on the floor, but only if he's being guarded by a true big. Problem is he's being punked by SFs and even guards getting into his space and he has no answer for that. And if he doesn't have an answer for that himself he should be passing to the guard who has the corresponding mismatch of being guarded by a big (though obviously I would prefer for him to just keep the ball high and shoot over the smaller player-- he has such a nice touch)

(5)(5)
KP shooting % is dropping as fast as the weather outside

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy