Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
12/26/2017  3:44 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Kanter wants to be here. He associates the team with family. He adopted the city. He's very friendly with the fans. I think he will override his agent to stay here. We have a good thing going with Kanter and KP.... we can't keep flipping guys chasing draft picks and cheap value players.

The real question needs to go to what we do with Noah, Willy and KOQ. 2 of those guys have to go.

Hardaway needs to get healthy. Courtney Lee has been great for us. We need better support from our bench. At times the guys we have can be brilliant. Other times they are a waste of space. Scott Perry has a really tough job to sort this all out

I think Perry was being honest when he acknowledged that this was going to be a rebuilding year. A couple of things fell into place and we're better than expected, but we're still rebuilding. I can't be too upset because the roster is what it is. I agree, that we need to figure out what to do with our spare bigs. But let's be honest, no of those guys are going to bring back the wing help we need unless we package our first. Is it worth it at this point? I don't think so.

If Willy did not regress...which I strongly believe is temporary...he would bring us something decent...dunno about now

He appears to be behind Noah on the depth chart at this point.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
Welpee
Member: #6239

12/26/2017  3:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/26/2017  3:46 PM
EnySpree wrote:Kanter wants to be here. He associates the team with family.
A lot of families have split over money.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/26/2017  4:42 PM
Welpee wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Kanter wants to be here. He associates the team with family.
A lot of families have split over money.

Lmao

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
12/26/2017  5:58 PM
EnySpree wrote:Kanter wants to be here. He associates the team with family. He adopted the city. He's very friendly with the fans. I think he will override his agent to stay here. We have a good thing going with Kanter and KP.... we can't keep flipping guys chasing draft picks and cheap value players.

The real question needs to go to what we do with Noah, Willy and KOQ. 2 of those guys have to go.

Hardaway needs to get healthy. Courtney Lee has been great for us. We need better support from our bench. At times the guys we have can be brilliant. Other times they are a waste of space. Scott Perry has a really tough job to sort this all out

I realize EK is coming off his best game and is a fan darling and a Knick fave for you. Yet PBPStats.com http://en.brinkwire.com/40959/1-trade-that-can-help-every-fringe-nba-playoff-team/
Shows a sample that The Knicks score 3 more points per 100 when KP plays without EK and EK alone without pK is a fright. As good as EK is, I think Long term isn’t the way to go. My preference is and has been to use the draft for a 5 this year as it’s A banner year between Bamba/Ayers and Begley.
I’ve mentioned Embiid before and while he had to contend with EK yesterday, no one could stop him. As Simmons and Fuktz grow up, both the Celtics and Sixers will be a nightmare unless we have a 5 who can match up as an all star against the East and Embiid. I’m talking about an athlete. Listen, I love 4 offensive boards a game, but I’d have another 5 with two way talent start. Then with free agency go get a 3 or 2 who can fill it up.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/26/2017  6:40 PM
Paris907 wrote:

I realize EK is coming off his best game and is a fan darling and a Knick fave for you. Yet PBPStats.com http://en.brinkwire.com/40959/1-trade-that-can-help-every-fringe-nba-playoff-team/
Shows a sample that The Knicks score 3 more points per 100 when KP plays without EK and EK alone without pK is a fright. As good as EK is, I think Long term isn’t the way to go. My preference is and has been to use the draft for a 5 this year as it’s A banner year between Bamba/Ayers and Begley.
I’ve mentioned Embiid before and while he had to contend with EK yesterday, no one could stop him. As Simmons and Fuktz grow up, both the Celtics and Sixers will be a nightmare unless we have a 5 who can match up as an all star against the East and Embiid. I’m talking about an athlete. Listen, I love 4 offensive boards a game, but I’d have another 5 with two way talent start. Then with free agency go get a 3 or 2 who can fill it up.

We'll need a significant drop to be able to sniff those guys. Are you suggesting we begin the tank process now? We can begin by shopping CLee right now. At some point we have to decide.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

12/26/2017  8:40 PM
EnySpree wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I think Perry was being honest when he acknowledged that this was going to be a rebuilding year. A couple of things fell into place and we're better than expected, but we're still rebuilding. I can't be too upset because the roster is what it is. I agree, that we need to figure out what to do with our spare bigs. But let's be honest, no of those guys are going to bring back the wing help we need unless we package our first. Is it worth it at this point? I don't think so.

If Willy did not regress...which I strongly believe is temporary...he would bring us something decent...dunno about now

This is the argument we keep going back to and I'm willing to bet the Knicks front office is doing the same. What we do know is we have to factor Kanter in to the Knicks prime equation. Noah contract is nuts.... we love KOQ but he's the one guy prime for an unwanted contract. Willy is not going to give us more than Kanter as far as on floor production. The Knicks will be more than fine with Kanter, Noah and KP playing center. Knicks need to see what they can get for KOQ, Willy and possibly Derm

I want to keep McD....at the right price....personally we cannot repeat the Phil era mistake which was annual roster turnover and purges..we not only need chemistry but continuity...McD is terrific off the ball and fills a need...unless the trade > McD ....I would not do it

Paris907
USA
12/26/2017  8:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/26/2017  8:43 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Paris907 wrote:

We'll need a significant drop to be able to sniff those guys. Are you suggesting we begin the tank process now? We can begin by shopping CLee right now. At some point we have to decide.

As I hate taking the heart out of these guys, no team goes to the conference finals without two veritable all stars. Ask Patrick Ewing how tough it was and he had his chance in Houston and we know what happened. I am fine w making the playoffs but not to limp in with only a marginally better team next year. I say trade C Lee and O Quinn. I know I’ve my detractors but one of those centers is going around 10. We need to have more athleticism and an all star Caliber studt. I trust the Knick brass to step up with a 7-10 pick and get a gem to compliment KP. Then go out and find a FA 3 when Noah, Thomas, OQuinn, Lee no longer on the books. Middleton??

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

12/26/2017  9:57 PM
BRIGGS wrote:I don't see under almost any circumstance barring injury-- a scenario where he doesn't opt out-- how irresponsible would that be? If kanter gets hurt and leaves 75-100 mm on table-- isn't happening

The most a non Knicks team can offer Kanter is a four year deal. So you are saying an AAV of somewhere around 19-25 million. Feel free to NAME THE NBA TEAMS where they can absorb that kind of AAV without going into the tax zone or further into the tax zone and Kanter is actually a fit for what they are trying to do as a franchise. ( I.E. Rebuild or Contend or something else...)

No team is going into the tax zone for Enes Kanter. No team already in the tax zone is going to risk going into the repeater zone for Enes Kanter.

Briggs, actually look at the projected cap charges for teams this offseason, then out of those teams, assess their actual projected rosters and TELL ALL OF US WHICH OF THESE MYTHICAL TEAMS WILL OFFER KANTER AN AAV OF 19-25 MILLION?

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

12/26/2017  11:59 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

People say Willy has regressed but his per minute numbers seem to be similar to last season's. The only difference between now and then is the fact that he is getting less minutes than before. And in my opinion, the Knicks are making a huge mistake perpetuating this trend. Willy is one of the few player's on the team that might actually develop into an asset due to his age, youth and CONTRACT. That's not something you foresake for the opportunity to overplay re-threads that have established themselves as expendable commodities.

When this thing implodes later on in the season, it'll be interesting to see the excuses made for having supported the status quo. We will have played ourselves out of prime lottery position, will have delayed/impeded the growth of our youth and wasted whatever window we might have had to jettison our pricey veterans for more reasonable contracts and picks. Different season, same Knicks.

NardDogNation

12/27/2017  12:19 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Paris907 wrote:

We've definitely prolonged this process a bit too long but I think it is possible to be competitive in the lottery. After all we're only about 5-7 wins ahead of the bottom of the barrel and it seems that there are still quite a few teams clustered at or around .500. I wouldn't be surprised to see several of those teams push for a playoff spot, which would help our lottery odds even more.

But I doubt we'd ever be bad enough to get one of the blue-chip prospects available in the draft. Because of that, I'd try to get another first round pick to parcel with other assets in hopes of moving into the late lottery. The Blazers did that in the past draft by giving up picks 15 and 20 to move up to 10th. And given our current record, we'll finish with a pick in that range which could be good enough to entice a lottery team like the Clippers to trade down. If any of this is at all possible, I'd target Mikal Bridges who is projected to go between 10-15. I think those predictions will likely hold since he is an upperclassmen, which seems to always hurt a player's draft stock. If we walk away from the draft with someone like him, I think that all sins would be forgiven in my book.

NardDogNation

12/27/2017  12:31 AM
Paris907 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Paris907 wrote:

As I hate taking the heart out of these guys, no team goes to the conference finals without two veritable all stars. Ask Patrick Ewing how tough it was and he had his chance in Houston and we know what happened. I am fine w making the playoffs but not to limp in with only a marginally better team next year. I say trade C Lee and O Quinn. I know I’ve my detractors but one of those centers is going around 10. We need to have more athleticism and an all star Caliber studt. I trust the Knick brass to step up with a 7-10 pick and get a gem to compliment KP. Then go out and find a FA 3 when Noah, Thomas, OQuinn, Lee no longer on the books. Middleton??

Middleton is 26 years old (will turn 27 later in the year) and is likely to become overpaid. I'd only consider offering him a contract to create a bidding war with the Bucks and drive up his cost. The Bucks are bound to be one of the most expensive teams in the league should they extend Eric Bledsoe, Middleton and Jabari Parker and yet with them, they are barely above .500. It's only a matter of time before Giannis becomes disgruntled, which could open up the opportunity to acquire him for cents on the dollar. This is a major reason why I've been against throwing big dollars/resources at guys like Tim Hardaway Jr, Enes Kanter and the like. We should instead be focused on developing assets/value from within and maintaining cap flexibility in order to make a competitive offer for him AND maintain a core. Can you imagine the havoc a Giannis-KP tandem would create especially if we were able to keep someone like Frank Ntilikina in the process?

JamesKPolk
Member: #4093

12/27/2017  4:06 AM
Kanter should absolutely be re-signed.
"Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world." - James K Polk
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

12/27/2017  7:14 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Paris907 wrote:

I think we probably pick around 12 is my guess. I think the 76ers will have a better record and probably the Jazz as well. Unless KP goes out for a huge stretch of games we probably are better than the rest of the bottom feeders

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

12/27/2017  7:29 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
Paris907 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Paris907 wrote:

Middleton is 26 years old (will turn 27 later in the year) and is likely to become overpaid. I'd only consider offering him a contract to create a bidding war with the Bucks and drive up his cost. The Bucks are bound to be one of the most expensive teams in the league should they extend Eric Bledsoe, Middleton and Jabari Parker and yet with them, they are barely above .500. It's only a matter of time before Giannis becomes disgruntled, which could open up the opportunity to acquire him for cents on the dollar. This is a major reason why I've been against throwing big dollars/resources at guys like Tim Hardaway Jr, Enes Kanter and the like. We should instead be focused on developing assets/value from within and maintaining cap flexibility in order to make a competitive offer for him AND maintain a core. Can you imagine the havoc a Giannis-KP tandem would create especially if we were able to keep someone like Frank Ntilikina in the process?

oh the common sense approach to building a team. I would agree with you but the problem is that ship has sailed because we have accumulated to many long term contracts that don't meet their value. No the choice is do we overpay to try to keep some depth or do we let guys go and lose the asset for nothing. The problem is KP will get a max deal and every chance to build a roster will be out the window. If the Knicks don't get that 2nd guy here before KP hits FA you can basically say goodbye to the next decade of basketball in NY. Once he makes 30 a year you get so squeezed by the cap adding FA's is basically impossible without gutting the entire roster. You need to draft well and when guys are on rookie deals bring in FA and then go over the cap with bird rights to keep your drafted stars. Thats the blueprint to build in the NBA. Gone is the days of combining exceptions and contracts, the midlevel exception every year to add quality depth.
Get 5-6 first round picks in a 3 year window, by year 4 bring in FA's, go over the cap to keep young stars. Thats how you play the system to acquire depth and talent.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Paris907
USA
12/27/2017  8:04 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Paris907 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Paris907 wrote:

oh the common sense approach to building a team. I would agree with you but the problem is that ship has sailed because we have accumulated to many long term contracts that don't meet their value. No the choice is do we overpay to try to keep some depth or do we let guys go and lose the asset for nothing. The problem is KP will get a max deal and every chance to build a roster will be out the window. If the Knicks don't get that 2nd guy here before KP hits FA you can basically say goodbye to the next decade of basketball in NY. Once he makes 30 a year you get so squeezed by the cap adding FA's is basically impossible without gutting the entire roster. You need to draft well and when guys are on rookie deals bring in FA and then go over the cap with bird rights to keep your drafted stars. Thats the blueprint to build in the NBA. Gone is the days of combining exceptions and contracts, the midlevel exception every year to add quality depth.
Get 5-6 first round picks in a 3 year window, by year 4 bring in FA's, go over the cap to keep young stars. Thats how you play the system to acquire depth and talent.

That’s essentially what’s I’ve been pushing and somehow tanking is a dirty word but if don’t secure a great pick (top 7), we won’t sniff the conference for years. Even if Frank turns out to be all we hope and KP is an annual all star, we still need another all star at either 3 or 5 (yes without Oquinn, Noah or EK) and then sign your killer FA at whatever spot requires it.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/27/2017  8:25 AM
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
anrst wrote:when the trade went down people were praying for him to opt out

Yeah its crazy to think about now. He's earning his contract. But it's also great to think about how he might resign for significantly less money because of the market.

If he plays anywhere near what he is( I'm assuming he's now healthy) if you were his agent-- it would be impossible not to ask for close to a 5 year max

He will ask because it's his job. Then the knicks will counter with something significantly less. Then what? Briggs, who offers Kanter anywhere near the max? Why is an agent asking for max even relevant? Look at what happened what Noel's agent asked for the max last year? You are really underestimating what market value means. You think because he asks for it, the Knicks will give it?

You're kidding yourself if you think if kanter plays anything like this that other teams won't offer huge$

I think you're way off on this. Kanter is putting up great numbers, but a 14 and 10 player does not get anything near max in this market. You have 4 teams with money to spend. He is a low post player who doesn't play outside or block shots and is the complete opposite as what's trending today. His value is partially because of how well he compliments KP and vice versa. He is lucky you aren't his agent, because it would be Noel all over again.

I'm with Briggs on this though it scares me to say that. There's a few things to consider.
1 - Many teams care a lot about efficiency now and rate stats more than per game volume #s. They know he's producing an efficient 20+ points and about 14 rbs over starter's minutes and has done close to that before as a starter.
2 - We don't know what the cap will be and which teams will have cleared cap space. I'm not saying teams will clear space for Kanter. But what happens often is a team clears space and tries to get the top FAs, and if they fail, they pay whatever they have to for whoever is left.
3 - This is the Knicks. We likely will outbid the next highest team by at least 20 mil. We may also give a little more than we have to out of respect. I'd be shocked if Kanter gets less than TH. I think he gets somewhere between 75 mil and almost a max contract.
NardDogNation

12/27/2017  11:38 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Paris907 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Paris907 wrote:

Exactly! The only thing I'd disagree with is our window. Maybe this is the optimist in me but I still believe we have enough time to right the ship and get our payroll in order to build a cache of assets.

As I said in another thread, there is no precedent for an all-star on his rookie contract to foresake his contract extension and go somewhere else. With the way the new CBA is structured Kristaps would stand to make tens of millions more over 4 years, just by staying home; which would likely cause him to delay trade requests until AFTER he's gotten his money. And what that allows us to do is punt on this year and next in hopes of adding multiple first round picks paired with bad, short-term contracts.

Kristaps is now too good to outright "tank"- which means we'll never again get a top 5 pick on merit- but we do have some cap space/flexibility to acquire bad short-term contracts to either supplement our first rounders or to negotiate a trade up. I personally think the Thunder would be interested in moving their first round pick (projected to be 18-24) for cap flexibility that would help them keep Westbrook, George and Melo together. Maybe Courtney Lee for Roberson and dead-contracts like Abrines and Kyle Singler for their first round pick? Then couple our first round pick and OKC's to move up into the 8-12 range? Mikal Bridges would be my target.

Welpee
Member: #6239

12/27/2017  11:47 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:3 - This is the Knicks. We likely will outbid the next highest team by at least 20 mil. We may also give a little more than we have to out of respect. I'd be shocked if Kanter gets less than TH. I think he gets somewhere between 75 mil and almost a max contract.
New regime. Based on what you've seen thus far what makes you believe Perry/Mills will operate as the other former GMs have? I think so far they've been pretty fiscally responsible and have gotten a lot of mileage for the money they've spent.
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

12/27/2017  11:57 AM
Knixkik wrote:Leading up to this summer, there will be a lot of talk about Kanter's contract situation. He has a player option this summer, and who knows whether or not he will pick it up. What i do know is, this is turning into an ideal situation for the Knicks. You have a handful of teams with cap space. Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, and LA, and i don't see any of them going after Kanter. Kanter, for all of his strengths and ideal fit on this team, is still a middle-of-the-pack starting center at best. There is a surplus of good, but not great centers in the league right now. The Noah/Mahinmi/Biyombo money just isn't going to be there for any of these guys ever again. The league going smaller, few teams having space, and the surplus of centers will combined for a rough situation for guys like Kanter. The Noel snafu last summer adds to the potential difficulties for some of these guys. That money will never be there again for him. These guys can see the writing on the wall.

My guess is Kanter takes his opt in and delays free agency, or tries to get an extension on his contract, even at a significant paycut. We might land him for 12 mil a year or so. It's better than riding out his contract and getting stuck taking the mid-level exception, which some of these guys will be doing this summer.

All in all, giving the circumstances, my guess is we are able to keep Kanter on a long-term value contract. Considering what he brings to the table, it's a steal. Getting him in the Melo deal is turning out to be quite a prize for this team if we are able to keep him on a team friendly deal.

I would love to get Kanter for $12 mil per but no way does he get paid that little. You say that the league is going away from centers but i don't see it that way, the league is changing from the old school center to the new taller but thinner centers that can shoot the 3 ball and guys that have athleticism. This next draft is loaded with centers that are longer and more mobile. Kanter is athletic and has great feet and movement. He's obviously no KP or M.Turner and isn't a 3 point shooter but he still has a starting place in this league and will get at least the $17-$18 mil per he's getting now.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/27/2017  11:58 AM
Kanter will get paid. As Noah's contract becomes less of an albatross, Kanter's deal wont be so taxing. I will be PO'd if we dont bring him back.

We upgrade the PG position (or see a big improvement from Frank next season) I believe KP/Kanter will take a big leap forward as a tandem.

Kanter Free Agency

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy