[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Where are the Baker bashers?
Author Thread
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

12/17/2017  2:14 PM
Baker seems healthier than he was earlier in the season...he has clearly worked on his J...his D seems as good or better than last year, and he is continuing to show us that he is a much better passer than originally advertised when he came out of college.

What drives me crazy about folks on this forum is that there seems to be no recognition that players can actually evolve, and that with players new to the league, you should pay more attention to the good things they are doing, and be slower to make blanket condemnations because of play that is not yet up to par. This does not mean every player is going to improve enough to make a difference, but for some reason Baker has been a lightening rod for some around here, even after he became one of our pleasant surprises last year.

We got the same shyte with KP from certain posters, as if what we saw from him his first year could never be improved upon.

There should also be some recognition that we frequently have NO IDEA of what injuries players have and how they affect a particular player's game. An ankle injury is going to affect shooting, D, and the ability to perform as a ball handler. A bad shoulder, even an a non-shooting hand shoulder is going to affect jump shooting and defensive aggressiveness.

Baker will never be a star, but he can be a rotation player on a successful team, assuming that the jump shooting he's showing us now is not an aberration.

Nice problem to have when Hardaway comes back. We all know that Hornacek likes Baker, especially for his D and how he improves the flow of the offense, and if he continues with the improved shooting, I would think that Baker would have to be given some consistent minutes, especially if we go with a small lineup.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/17/2017  2:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/17/2017  2:25 PM
Baker shoots the ball well one game and we get a manifesto post....

Baker plays defense and it takes him almost half a season to get his ball handling under control. He's had a string of games where he's been very effective. Let's build that up rather than in fight with each other.

Bye felicia

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

12/17/2017  3:09 PM
EnySpree wrote:Baker shoots the ball well one game and we get a manifesto post....

Baker plays defense and it takes him almost half a season to get his ball handling under control. He's had a string of games where he's been very effective. Let's build that up rather than in fight with each other.

Bye felicia

Were you a Baker basher?

And you completely missed the other points I was making, but hey welcome to the world of selective response and a rejection of "evidence based" reality.

I also qualified my comment on Baker indicating the importance his continuing to shoot well, but hey, no need to acknowledge this.

I don't post as much around here because of my political interests on Twitter, but also because it is tiring to hear guys make pronouncements and broad generalizations about players with minimal evidence.

We have a Frank vs Smith thread for goodness sakes...in deference to those who cried when they saw some highlight dunks from Smith.

Early in the year it did not take folks long to go after Baker while he was probably playing injured, but memories are short in the Trump era, I guess.

So it goes.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
EnySpree

12/17/2017  3:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/17/2017  3:46 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Baker shoots the ball well one game and we get a manifesto post....

Bye felicia

Were you a Baker basher?

And you completely missed the other points I was making, but hey welcome to the world of selective response and a rejection of "evidence based" reality.

I also qualified my comment on Baker indicating the importance his continuing to shoot well, but hey, no need to acknowledge this.

I don't post as much around here because of my political interests on Twitter, but also because it is tiring to hear guys make pronouncements and broad generalizations about players with minimal evidence.

We have a Frank vs Smith thread for goodness sakes...in deference to those who cried when they saw some highlight dunks from Smith.

Early in the year it did not take folks long to go after Baker while he was probably playing injured, but memories are short in the Trump era, I guess.

So it goes.

Your Twitter feed must be lit... only 140 characters or whatever it is. You wrote 2 posts with like 5-6 different points. You are a human AI

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/17/2017  5:58 PM
In defense of the OP the Baker bashing was pure BS!!! Some people simply have no patience when it comes to young players. Baker has done nothing but GRIND and make the team as a UDFA and then earn PT and then Learn how to run the offense. When we got to the end of the season last year Baker was starting to put things together. Quite simply the Knicks played better when Baker was on the floor.

This year injuries derailed his progress and haters quickly jumped on him. Some couldn't get past his contract, which is a lame reason to knock the kid. In any event this is what the Knicks were seeing in the off season that made them sign Baker. High BBIQ, Versatility, Max Effort on both ends. He is one of our own prospects that is coming up in the system. WTF is wrong with people getting behind a young player who never gives up and gives you everything he's got?

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/17/2017  6:34 PM

Bye felicia

lol Baker looked like Igudala with blonde locks last night. My thing with Baker is he plays hard but he's not good because he cant hit shots. Now if he hits shots... well we have ourselves a really nice bench player. If the guy finds his stroke we have a very nice 3&D guy and a great depth player off the bench.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TPercy
Member: #5748

12/17/2017  7:55 PM
If he can continue to hit that shot for the rest of the season I can come around to him. He's only played 166 minutes so far.
The Future is Bright!
Welpee
Member: #6239

12/17/2017  8:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/17/2017  8:08 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Baker seems healthier than he was earlier in the season...he has clearly worked on his J...his D seems as good or better than last year, and he is continuing to show us that he is a much better passer than originally advertised when he came out of college.

What drives me crazy about folks on this forum is that there seems to be no recognition that players can actually evolve, and that with players new to the league, you should pay more attention to the good things they are doing, and be slower to make blanket condemnations because of play that is not yet up to par. This does not mean every player is going to improve enough to make a difference, but for some reason Baker has been a lightening rod for some around here, even after he became one of our pleasant surprises last year.

We got the same shyte with KP from certain posters, as if what we saw from him his first year could never be improved upon.

There should also be some recognition that we frequently have NO IDEA of what injuries players have and how they affect a particular player's game. An ankle injury is going to affect shooting, D, and the ability to perform as a ball handler. A bad shoulder, even an a non-shooting hand shoulder is going to affect jump shooting and defensive aggressiveness.

Baker will never be a star, but he can be a rotation player on a successful team, assuming that the jump shooting he's showing us now is not an aberration.

Nice problem to have when Hardaway comes back. We all know that Hornacek likes Baker, especially for his D and how he improves the flow of the offense, and if he continues with the improved shooting, I would think that Baker would have to be given some consistent minutes, especially if we go with a small lineup.

This thread is exactly what the so-called bashers were probably talking about. People have this bro-mance with Baker and overreact to every good thing he does and conveniently look away from his short comings. Baker played his butt off last night, but lets hold off on hanging his number in the rafters.

It's easy (and kinda weak) to start a thread like this after the great game he had. I hope this is the start of something great, but can we give it a little time before beating your chest with "I told you so" threads?

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/17/2017  8:37 PM
Welpee wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Baker seems healthier than he was earlier in the season...he has clearly worked on his J...his D seems as good or better than last year, and he is continuing to show us that he is a much better passer than originally advertised when he came out of college.

This thread is exactly what the so-called bashers were probably talking about. People have this bro-mance with Baker and overreact to every good thing he does and conveniently look away from his short comings. Baker played his butt off last night, but lets hold off on hanging his number in the rafters.

It's easy (and kinda weak) to start a thread like this after the great game he had. I hope this is the start of something great, but can we give it a little time before beating your chest with "I told you so" threads?

Baker has been working to get into form after his unfortunate injuries, but he had already shown his potential last year which some conveniently keep forgetting was his ROOKIE season!!! Can we stop to reflect on that? Baker came into this season not even having played 60 games in the NBA. 52 games last year and only 11 so far this year. So we haven't even seen a full season of Baker yet much less the best of what Baker can do.

What UDFA after just 63 games has really had a chance to fully show what they can be? We at least have seen Baker be an positive influence when he's on the floor. Baker was actually a PLUS player last year despite his flaws. I expect Baker to develop into a quality role player for this team.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

12/17/2017  8:49 PM
It's not unique to this board. Perhaps taking their cue from phonies like Stephen A and Michael Kay and other media gasbags, many Knicks "fans" in general have seemed more intent on badmouthing the team and casting role players as "garbage" and "trash" (but then presenting ways to trade them for a #1 pick when they have a good game). And then seem unhappy that the team is doing well. Maybe it's alligator pee in the city water or something. But more fans are coming around -- there is a lot to like about this team and Baker is one who makes them easy to root for.
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

12/17/2017  9:52 PM

I'm with you man, it's pretty damn annoying but it won't stop with certain posters because I truly think it brings certain people joy to complain about anything they can just to get a reaction. With Burgandy playing well they'll just find something else to complain about until he has a bad game and then they'll be back to complaining about Burgandy. It sure is nice to see I'm playing well. For all the haters.....it's called growth and some players will work hard in the off season and some won't and it looks like Burgandy did and I'm counting on the same with Frank.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

12/17/2017  10:07 PM
Welpee wrote:

Maybe if there wasn't so many Baker bashing threads/posts then there would be no reason to make threads/posts to talk about how well he's playing.......Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/23/2017  10:34 PM
I doubt there is any Baker bashers
But rather people who want him to play better or sit

Since your post three games have past where he played 60 minutes and went 1-8
Some good d a few decent passes but he has to step up in his consistency and especially make open shota

RIP Crushalot😞
EnySpree

12/24/2017  7:51 AM
If Baker can simply hit his open looks then he's an asset. We don't need him to do anything else. His defense is legit.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/24/2017  9:45 AM
The Fabulous Baker Boys vs. The Baker Bashers
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/24/2017  10:21 AM

Maybe i'm missing something. I like Baker and i know he works really hard and brings some defensive toughness. But he is a complete liability on offense still. If he can hit shots, great, but he needs to be a very good shooter, not just passable, and do a little more on offense to be a quality rotation player. Otherwise he is just a good 5th guard and good combo guard to have on the roster in case of injury or when a spark is needed.

Welpee

12/24/2017  12:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/24/2017  12:20 PM
BRIGGS wrote:I doubt there is any Baker bashers

Some good d a few decent passes but he has to step up in his consistency and especially make open shota

That's why folks need to be careful starting threads after one good game patting themselves on the back. It's not like he's another Allen Crabbe.
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/24/2017  1:19 PM
Lets talk about the crushing turnover he had to seal the loss. Not sure why JH even inserted him in, like he was chris paul or something. He's not really on any scouting reports, so he'll get his open looks here and there, i just don't believe he's a regular rotation player.
ES
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/24/2017  7:52 PM
Welpee wrote:

That's why folks need to be careful starting threads after one good game patting themselves on the back. It's not like he's another Allen Crabbe.

What's up with this Allen Crabbe talk...Nate Wolters is out there on the waiver wire.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Welpee

12/25/2017  9:42 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Welpee wrote:

What's up with this Allen Crabbe talk...Nate Wolters is out there on the waiver wire.

Briggs had this huge man crush on Allen Crabbe and constantly talked about how great he was and why the Knicks should pursue him. He wants to beat his chest and claim "I told you so" with Beasley while pretending he never had this bro-mance with Crabbe since he hasn't played up to his contract.
Where are the Baker bashers?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy