Author Thread
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

12/11/2017  3:50 PM
Nalod wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
martin wrote:I like this:

Knicks' fans...patience...That is asking a lot of many of us.

Its easy to watch and say "he needs to......."
How are the other rookies defense? Might he be the best rookie guard defender? That don't get you "Rookie of the month" but isn't that something REAL knick fans should be celebrating? Don't real KNick fans appreciate defense and unselfish play?

Suggestion: get real.

Many fans like eye-candy above the rim offense. How many would be willing for Frank to be a Cheeks type PG these days...or maybe someone Dennis Johnson was on the Celtics?

Fans might pay lip service to D, but most wet their pants over spectacular plays, and look at the tree without seeing the forest.

Me...I want to win- that should be the most important thing for any fan, and I see Ntilikina as a competitor and winner...Just a matter of time.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/11/2017  4:35 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

This tweet conflates numbers with aggresiveness. Its not Frank's PPG thats an issue, its Frank passing on many opportunities to score. Most of those players werent PGs either. More important for a PG to get to the rim, in part to make it easier on their teammates.

i would add that Butler was the 30th pick in the draft and Gianni's was 15th. Guys that scouted Gianni's raved about his potential but going 8th in a strong draft is going to up the expectations.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/11/2017  4:49 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

This tweet conflates numbers with aggresiveness. Its not Frank's PPG thats an issue, its Frank passing on many opportunities to score. Most of those players werent PGs either. More important for a PG to get to the rim, in part to make it easier on their teammates.

i would add that Butler was the 30th pick in the draft and Gianni's was 15th. Guys that scouted Gianni's raved about his potential but going 8th in a strong draft is going to up the expectations.

You can add guys like Dirk, Mike Conley and Justin Holiday. All lottery picks who were horrendous scoring the ball their rookie seasons.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Ira
Member: #91
12/12/2017  10:20 PM
Great game by Frank tonight. Dennis who?
Ira
Member: #91
12/12/2017  10:25 PM
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/12/2017  10:39 PM
The Ntilikina/Porzingis chemistry was on fire today.
Loved how we used McDermott as well. We're really a different team when Frank plays well because he has that vision and ability to do things no other guard on the team can.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
12/12/2017  10:48 PM
That long 3 was very clutch.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/12/2017  10:52 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:That long 3 was very clutch.

He's got something you can't teach.
Composure and basketball IQ.

Say this many times will say it again. Years from now people will thank heavens Phil Jackson was with the Knicks so he could draft Frank and KP. Frank can be a do it all type of PG. Not great at any particular thing than defense, but good at all things on offense. A player that defends and then can give you a bit of everything you need from a guard - that's high value in my book.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/12/2017  11:42 PM
What we saw tonight it what I expect from him on a consistent basis in a couple of years. He won't put up lonzo type numbers, but his impact will be significant. He is probably no better than a 4th option on offense, but he will make big plays and contribute way beyond what his stats will indicate. I think he will be a lot better than some guys who score 20 a night.
BigDaddyG

12/13/2017  12:16 AM
Knixkik wrote:What we saw tonight it what I expect from him on a consistent basis in a couple of years. He won't put up lonzo type numbers, but his impact will be significant. He is probably no better than a 4th option on offense, but he will make big plays and contribute way beyond what his stats will indicate. I think he will be a lot better than some guys who score 20 a night.

TBH...i'd say he will put up Lonzo type #s. I see similarities in their games. I see them scoring about the same with Lonzo avg. more rebs and Frank getting more steals. I don't see either player dropping 20 a night on a consistent basis.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
12/13/2017  1:01 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:What we saw tonight it what I expect from him on a consistent basis in a couple of years. He won't put up lonzo type numbers, but his impact will be significant. He is probably no better than a 4th option on offense, but he will make big plays and contribute way beyond what his stats will indicate. I think he will be a lot better than some guys who score 20 a night.

TBH...i'd say he will put up Lonzo type #s. I see similarities in their games. I see them scoring about the same with Lonzo avg. more rebs and Frank getting more steals. I don't see either player dropping 20 a night on a consistent basis.

Yep, it would make for a better thread(who would have thought) if we compared Frank vs Lonzo

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/13/2017  7:13 AM
There was a clutch rebound in traffic too last nite. Those long arms are also good for that!
Kid is learning and growing. It’s not a straight line, but he was on the court in a big game against a team that was pumped up to be in NYC! Garden has a buzz about it and the kid did not wilt under the pressure. Lonzo Flop nt called and we done in regulation!
Frank looked smooth.
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

12/13/2017  8:36 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/13/2017  9:38 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

+100

Add that Giannis was a 6'11" freak. Which is main reason he has become a huge scorer. Some just dont understand this is more about the talent available at the 8 and less about Frank. Its a simple argument. Think its just Old school guys not paying attention to where the NBA is and is heading. GS and Houston have tremendous scorers. And none of them were unable to adapt to a collective defensive unit. This notion that Frank can become a very good scorer but high level offensive players are unable to become sound defenders is short sighted. Some of us think it's easier to teach Steph Curry to be part of a good defensive scheme while others think they can teach Frank to be Steph Curry. Just look at Macbuckets amd Kanter.

Btw. Was at Laker game last night and Frank looked great. If he keeps getting more confident with his jumper and more aggressive on drives, he will become a very good point guard.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
BigDaddyG

12/13/2017  9:38 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

+100

Add that Giannis was a 6'11" freak. Which is main reason he has become a huge scorer. Wome jist domt understand tgis was about the type of player that should be taken at an 8 and not Frank. Its a simple argument. Think its just Old school guys not paying attention to where the NBA is and is heading. GS and Houston have tremendous scorers. And none of them were unable to adapt to a collective defensive unit. This notion that Frank can become a very good scorer but high level offensive players are unable to become sound defenders is short sighted. Some of us think it's easier to teach Steph Curry to be part of a good defensive scheme while others think they can teach Frank to be Steph Curry. Just look at Macbuckets amd Kanter.

Btw. Was at Laker game last night and Frank looked great. If he keeps getting more confident with his jumper and more aggressive on drives, he will become a very good point guard.

The other sid of the coin is that you're able to hid Curry on defense because you have two-way player like Durant, Green and Thompson. Having guys like that give you the flexibility to cover for Curry defensively and Ntilikina has the potential to be one of those two-way players. That's why he was picked 8th. There are guys like Conley and Holiday who went lottery and struggled offensively too. I wouldn't classify any of those guys as athletic freaks.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

12/13/2017  9:43 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

+100

Add that Giannis was a 6'11" freak. Which is main reason he has become a huge scorer. Wome jist domt understand tgis was about the type of player that should be taken at an 8 and not Frank. Its a simple argument. Think its just Old school guys not paying attention to where the NBA is and is heading. GS and Houston have tremendous scorers. And none of them were unable to adapt to a collective defensive unit. This notion that Frank can become a very good scorer but high level offensive players are unable to become sound defenders is short sighted. Some of us think it's easier to teach Steph Curry to be part of a good defensive scheme while others think they can teach Frank to be Steph Curry. Just look at Macbuckets amd Kanter.

The other sid of the coin is that you're able to hid Curry on defense because you have two-way player like Durant, Green and Thompson. Having guys like that give you the flexibility to cover for Curry defensively and Ntilikina has the potential to be one of those two-way players. That's why he was picked 8th. There are guys like Conley and Holiday who went lottery and struggled offensively too. I wouldn't classify any of those guys as athletic freaks.

Comparing Curry to Holiday? Durantvwas not picked for his defense and is an athletic freak. Where was green picked? We will agree to disagree. But for me, Frank was not the best player available at the 8. Two waybl players can be had in later rounds. Not to be picked at the 8.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/13/2017  9:46 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

+100

I agree, what I'm noticing more and more is that Frank has pattern his offensive game after jack, same moves, same shot selection, same passes. It's not a bad thing, but it does show how much he looks up to him.

I was the first to criticize Mills for bringing in Jack and Session over rondo (8pts, 8.4 ast, 5 rbs) but jack has proven to be a solid investment. I just wish they can get to the FT line more, that would be the icing

ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/13/2017  9:48 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

+100

Add that Giannis was a 6'11" freak. Which is main reason he has become a huge scorer. Some just dont understand this is more about the talent available at the 8 and less about Frank. Its a simple argument. Think its just Old school guys not paying attention to where the NBA is and is heading. GS and Houston have tremendous scorers. And none of them were unable to adapt to a collective defensive unit. This notion that Frank can become a very good scorer but high level offensive players are unable to become sound defenders is short sighted. Some of us think it's easier to teach Steph Curry to be part of a good defensive scheme while others think they can teach Frank to be Steph Curry. Just look at Macbuckets amd Kanter.

Are you saying he wasnt "a very good PG" last night?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/13/2017  9:49 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

+100

Add that Giannis was a 6'11" freak. Which is main reason he has become a huge scorer. Some just dont understand tgis was about the type of player that should be taken at an 8 and not Frank. Its a simple argument. Think its just Old school guys not paying attention to where the NBA is and is heading. GS and Houston have tremendous scorers. And none of them were unable to adapt to a collective defensive unit. This notion that Frank can become a very good scorer but high level offensive players are unable to become sound defenders is short sighted. Some of us think it's easier to teach Steph Curry to be part of a good defensive scheme while others think they can teach Frank to be Steph Curry. Just look at Macbuckets amd Kanter.

I get the notion. But I think you have just sold Frank specifically short. You made a mention of where the NBA is headed. Frank is a player that could potentially guard 3 positions. Frank potentially could play on and off ball offensively and play multiple positions offensively. Frank could potentially play multiple roles for a team and given different assignments through out a game. Flexibility like that is were the NBA he headed. And Frank while he may not have a scorers mentality in the slightest at the moment. He has displayed the skill to score in a variety of ways. He can get buckets in the flow of a game from 3, pull up jumpers, post ups, and hopefully penetration lol. His willingness and ability to pass, His ability and willingness to defend, to go with his over sized frame and arms giving him a physical advantage over most guards defensively. He isn't a 21-22 yr old college junior or senior who developed his game and body over the yrs. He is 19 yrs old who hasn't come close to developing physically. Growing in the hardest position in the NBA.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/13/2017  10:39 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

+100

Add that Giannis was a 6'11" freak. Which is main reason he has become a huge scorer. Some just dont understand tgis was about the type of player that should be taken at an 8 and not Frank. Its a simple argument. Think its just Old school guys not paying attention to where the NBA is and is heading. GS and Houston have tremendous scorers. And none of them were unable to adapt to a collective defensive unit. This notion that Frank can become a very good scorer but high level offensive players are unable to become sound defenders is short sighted. Some of us think it's easier to teach Steph Curry to be part of a good defensive scheme while others think they can teach Frank to be Steph Curry. Just look at Macbuckets amd Kanter.

I get the notion. But I think you have just sold Frank specifically short. You made a mention of where the NBA is headed. Frank is a player that could potentially guard 3 positions. Frank potentially could play on and off ball offensively and play multiple positions offensively. Frank could potentially play multiple roles for a team and given different assignments through out a game. Flexibility like that is were the NBA he headed. And Frank while he may not have a scorers mentality in the slightest at the moment. He has displayed the skill to score in a variety of ways. He can get buckets in the flow of a game from 3, pull up jumpers, post ups, and hopefully penetration lol. His willingness and ability to pass, His ability and willingness to defend, to go with his over sized frame and arms giving him a physical advantage over most guards defensively. He isn't a 21-22 yr old college junior or senior who developed his game and body over the yrs. He is 19 yrs old who hasn't come close to developing physically. Growing in the hardest position in the NBA.

exactly... if there is an NBA trend its position-less basketball. When Frank is on a big because of a switch its literally fun to watch. He's tough to shoot over and he's even tougher to pass around.

Sorry.. great 2-way players are not easy pickings anywhere. Teams get lucky late sometimes, but that is most certainly NOT a trend. Lets see... a PG who had already shown strong play vs. grown men at 18 years old, 6'5 with a 7'0 wingspan and the last time he played against his peers he was essentially declared the best young guard in EU and Hosfstra says "naa... not with the 8th pick. Not good enough." I mean you just kinda shrug at that. I get that guy's had their ponies and favorites in the race but how people see Frank after 25 games in the NBA and *STILL* dont think he was worth the 8th pick is funny. He looks pretty good to me, but hey, I like triangle guards

Of the 4 guards we were looking at in Smith, Monk, Ntilikina and Mitchell they ALL were worthy of the 8th pick. If you had to rank them based on their first 20ish games Mitchell has looked the best, followed by Frank, then Dennis Smith and Monk has really struggled.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BigDaddyG

12/13/2017  10:48 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

+100

Comparing Curry to Holiday? Durantvwas not picked for his defense and is an athletic freak. Where was green picked? We will agree to disagree. But for me, Frank was not the best player available at the 8. Two waybl players can be had in later rounds. Not to be picked at the 8.

I don't know, it all goes in waves with scouting. I'm seeing a lot of guys being pitched as potential lottery picks because scouts see similarities to Draymond Green. Also, I'm not saying Durant was picked for his defense. But Durant, and Barnes before him, provides GSW with the flexibility need to make up for Curry on defense. You've seen the results when the team is composed mainly scorers who can't defend their position. That doesn't work in the modern NBA. Short shooting guards are a dime a dozen. We can always find one, assuming we keep our picks. Two-way PGs are harder to find and it looks like we might have landed one.
Give Me Your Ntilikina Evaluation

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy