[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Lavar is a bad dad....
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/14/2017  2:02 PM
Good dialog. Its not a black or white thing with me. I can see and respect him "breaking the rules" and to some extend not adhereing to the machine.
My instincts as a dad is never put your kids welfare in front of business. His kids seem ok and they will rebel. That's ok, in fact its part of growing up. But when you accept the incredible advantage a full ride to UCLA is and an opportunity, an educational one as well to visit china and you get arrested then its a problem. When a father dominates his kid and is in business together I have seen many bad endings to this and hardly at all as public in nature as a reality TV personality as he is creating.
Kids that have lots of help also get a sense of inflated entitlement. That leads to all kind of problems. Think Johnny Manzel. Does he look happy?
One of my best friends came from a very successful family and the kid was a great student until he started acting up in high school. Parents were way too tough on him. College was a waste of time and money. Kid was spoiled rotten. He went into the family business, by 39 he died speedballing with a hooker in a hotel room in Vegas. Nothing could make him happy and his lack of individual achievement was the root. Let the kids earn their way and they own their life and problems. Parents can never give their kids happiness!!!
Lavar is way to full of himself and his business now that Lonzo is doing well and because of BBB and the show he can't have his kids go sideways? Can't develop friends in a peer to peer environment like High school? Big money and fancy cars are now given to them. Lonzo has the talent and the hunger but was the big money there in highschool? His star is really now about a year old. That's the point, Lonzo grew into something, the other two have to fulfill this expectation. If not, its a hell of a thing to give a kid!!!
Does he love his kids? Sure. Is he being smart with them? I don't think so. Who am I to judge? The man is outthere selling his wares, selling his brand and selling his TV show.
He don't care about what anyone thinks. He wants a dynasty. Kardasians was created by Dad Robert who was a big time lawyer. Those girls look like miserable women. Joe Kennedy was bootlegger gone legit and build an empire for his sons. For all the glory, those Kennedy's had some serious heart ache too.
Many athletes had very intense dads or father figures pushing them. For every one that made it there are the other 99% that don't. We don't know them because they are not famous. Many are dysfunctional, broke and had hard lives. Many perused academics even if they were illiterate going into college and made normal lives many of us know.
College is not for everyone, but some level of education is. Fathers need to prepare their children for life.
AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

12/14/2017  6:32 PM
blkexec wrote:
Nalod wrote:Bad sports dad. Bad stage dad.
Dude is putting his family life on TV, he is all out there and we can judge him. Pull his kid out of high school, bad move. Pull his kid out of college. Bad move. Let them be kids, let the earn their way.
Reality show all out there for us to view. Sorry, he is doing this. Not the Media.

So I haven't followed lavar like most here. I just have a soft spot when someone is quick to call anybody a bad dad......unless there was signs of abuse.

Listening to undisputed on lavar....i agree with everything they said about lavar. One thing I didn't hear any of them say is Lavar is a bad dad.

The main question is not good or bad.....but is it about Lavar or his kids. And we don't know his motivation. what i do know is Lavar is a side show self marketing dad.....Whos showing the world one way to build your brand. So far Lavar is very successful. Eventually....if Lavar keeps this up....The Ball brand will be a business that his boys can retire on.

This is bigger than basketball.....and for lavar to be successful....he feeds on this type of energy....like this thread and his millions of followers. The more hate Lavar receives about being a bad dad.....the more success him and the ball family will continue to have.

If this bigger vision of Lavar is true.....I don't see how anybody can call him bad.....Strang....weird....different....annoying yes. Bad No!

I guess I don't understand how abuse is now the standard for bad parenting? The kid did shoplifting in China - it shows lack of basic honesty and even the most simple value system. That's on his parents- no excuses.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/14/2017  7:11 PM
Uptown wrote:
Nalod wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I don't understand why you're walking back your comments. He is a bad dad. He's making this more about him than his kids. His middle son is a scrub and would have been playing at UCLA after Christmas break. I know Lavar wants to live vicariously through his sons, but can someone please tell me how his bpy is better off losing his eligibility and UCLA degree to play for a coach who doesn't speak English? and for a team that reportedly won't pay its players next year? That situation sounds lousy. And how does that situation help his youngest? He's 16 years old and going to a town of 10,000 where he's going to be completely isolated.

Lavar is no better Lindsay Lohan's mom... Lavar makes the Kardashians look stable

I walked it back to "Bad sports dad", which is a "Bad stage mom". No evidence kids are battered mentally or crushed. There are plenty of bad dads that have produced pro athletes but the kids grew to be train wrecks and mal adjusted men. Lonzo by all accounts seems pretty chill about it all. If he is successful he has a good chance of growing into it. To put three kids in the NBA is rare. Genetics play a big role. Lavar has to deal with it not for himself but the one that does not make could get crushed by it. Because of that it was my ire that his actions with them of late, pulling them out of school was not a good idea.
Even last nite, putting those two young men on stage on the front row with those expectations is crushing. Lavar was a tool to stand and bask in the glory of the moment and rise up as if he himself had the adoration of 19,000 cheering fans.
His celebrity on the back of his son is disturbing. Not the love he might feel. Not the love he pours when the cameras are on.
That an act to promote BBB? Only reality is when the lakers are playing, or when he pulls his kids off of teams.
Anybody know what Lavar did for a living before his Son signed a pro contract?

His act may be overbearing but its WWE...Its all for marketing. One could disagree with it, but his act doesn't make him a bad dad. We have no idea how he's dealing with his kids when the camera is off....Based on his kids humble persona, the fact that they dont not get into any trouble (except for Liangelo or course, but I think most of us on this board has done worse at 18 than he did), it appears that he has done a decent job.

I dont believe he should have pulled the high schooler out of school, but I have no problem pulling LiAngelo from college. Whether it be sports, journalism, education, etc...we attend college to get a job/career afterwards. Most athletes are in college only to get a job in professional sports afterwards...LiAngelo, like many baseball players, and some basketball players (Terence Fergeson, Brandon Jennings, etc) going over seas isn't a bad thing. College aint for everyone.

you're right, that's not what makes him a bad dad. what makes him a bad dad is stealing his kid's spotlight and exploiting them so he can run 'big baller brand'.

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/14/2017  7:16 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Dude is putting his family life on TV, he is all out there and we can judge him. Pull his kid out of high school, bad move. Pull his kid out of college. Bad move. Let them be kids, let the earn their way.
Reality show all out there for us to view. Sorry, he is doing this. Not the Media.

So I haven't followed lavar like most here. I just have a soft spot when someone is quick to call anybody a bad dad......unless there was signs of abuse.

Listening to undisputed on lavar....i agree with everything they said about lavar. One thing I didn't hear any of them say is Lavar is a bad dad.

The main question is not good or bad.....but is it about Lavar or his kids. And we don't know his motivation. what i do know is Lavar is a side show self marketing dad.....Whos showing the world one way to build your brand. So far Lavar is very successful. Eventually....if Lavar keeps this up....The Ball brand will be a business that his boys can retire on.

This is bigger than basketball.....and for lavar to be successful....he feeds on this type of energy....like this thread and his millions of followers. The more hate Lavar receives about being a bad dad.....the more success him and the ball family will continue to have.

If this bigger vision of Lavar is true.....I don't see how anybody can call him bad.....Strang....weird....different....annoying yes. Bad No!

I guess I don't understand how abuse is now the standard for bad parenting? The kid did shoplifting in China - it shows lack of basic honesty and even the most simple value system. That's on his parents- no excuses.

what makes someone a good dad is acting in your kid's best interests. putting them first. non of this **** is in his kid's best interests. all of lavar's antics are for LAVAR'S brand, LAVAR'S show... his middle son is an absolute scrub, yet he yanked him from UCLA? the reason is is because it enriches LAVAR. his middle son would be best off staying at UCLA for four years and getting himself a decent job after maybe trying to play pro ball. the eldest and youngest look the part. the middle one is the sacrificial lamb to enrich LAVAR

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Welpee
Member: #6239

12/14/2017  7:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2017  7:33 PM
blkexec wrote:The main question is not good or bad.....but is it about Lavar or his kids. And we don't know his motivation. what i do know is Lavar is a side show self marketing dad.....Whos showing the world one way to build your brand. So far Lavar is very successful. Eventually....if Lavar keeps this up....The Ball brand will be a business that his boys can retire on.
1) We kinda know his motivation. He chose his wife (in part) with the anticipation that as a former high level basketball player they would produce basketball playing offspring. This is directly from him.

2) How are we defining success regarding LaVar building his brand? We all know about his "Big Baller Brand" but is anybody actually buying his product? Is anybody else in the league wearing his brand? Have you seen one person in your daily life wearing their product? So when you claim LaVar is "very successful" so far, based on what?

blkexec
Member: #748
12/14/2017  8:31 PM
Welpee wrote:
blkexec wrote:The main question is not good or bad.....but is it about Lavar or his kids. And we don't know his motivation. what i do know is Lavar is a side show self marketing dad.....Whos showing the world one way to build your brand. So far Lavar is very successful. Eventually....if Lavar keeps this up....The Ball brand will be a business that his boys can retire on.
1) We kinda know his motivation. He chose his wife (in part) with the anticipation that as a former high level basketball player they would produce basketball playing offspring. This is directly from him.

2) How are we defining success regarding LaVar building his brand? We all know about his "Big Baller Brand" but is anybody actually buying his product? Is anybody else in the league wearing his brand? Have you seen one person in your daily life wearing their product? So when you claim LaVar is "very successful" so far, based on what?

It's early....But his price point is so high, I only see the rich or wealthy wearing his brand. But if he's smart, he could turn this into an enterprise.....but using another athlete outside of the ball family to market his brand. The success part comes in when you have a huge following. Thats how businesses begin to flurish, you need people to follow. It's a people business....And right now, Lavar Ball is entertaining......Regardless if you like him or not.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
12/14/2017  8:34 PM
Welpee wrote:

Thats speculation.

His following is growing by the minute....It's still early.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
12/14/2017  8:39 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
blkexec wrote:

I did way worse than steal some glasses. And my parents are the best parents I could've had. Got a street name after my mom in queens. Dad worked for the subway system for 30 years....hard worker. I would never say my parents were bad. Shoplifting doesn't deserve the death penalty. And doesn't reflect bad parenting.

Welpee

12/14/2017  9:03 PM
blkexec wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Thats speculation.

His following is growing by the minute....It's still early.

It's not speculation, it's actually on youtube somewhere coming directly from his lips. He definitely said it.

Regarding his following, you said he was already very successful.

BBB has a better chance pf showing up in Payless in five years than being a serious moneymaker.

Welpee

12/14/2017  9:11 PM
blkexec wrote:
Welpee wrote:

It's early....But his price point is so high, I only see the rich or wealthy wearing his brand. But if he's smart, he could turn this into an enterprise.....but using another athlete outside of the ball family to market his brand. The success part comes in when you have a huge following. Thats how businesses begin to flurish, you need people to follow. It's a people business....And right now, Lavar Ball is entertaining......Regardless if you like him or not.

Big time athletes don't wear sneakers for free. They don't have the money to pay a big time athlete more than Nike to wear their brand. So how are they going to get another athlete to use their product?
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

12/14/2017  9:59 PM
blkexec wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
blkexec wrote:

I did way worse than steal some glasses. And my parents are the best parents I could've had. Got a street name after my mom in queens. Dad worked for the subway system for 30 years....hard worker. I would never say my parents were bad. Shoplifting doesn't deserve the death penalty. And doesn't reflect bad parenting.

I am not going to comment on your parents, since I know nothing about them. Never said anything about a death penalty either

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Nalod
USA
12/15/2017  8:00 AM
Welpee wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Big time athletes don't wear sneakers for free. They don't have the money to pay a big time athlete more than Nike to wear their brand. So how are they going to get another athlete to use their product?

Give them a cut of the company.

Nalod
USA
12/15/2017  8:04 AM
blkexec wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
blkexec wrote:

How did your parents handle you when you messed up? I think home schooling the younger one might be even worse then pulling LIAngelo out of College. Social development among peers is important. Doing high school studies is important. Etc.
Lavar is running a puppy mill for his kids.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/15/2017  8:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/15/2017  8:44 AM
his father needs to teach him his hip hop history, this is just straight disrepectful

Prior to game time, however, Lonzo showed up to the arena wearing a somewhat suspect hoodie mocking legendary NY rapper Nas. The top featured a photoshopped image of Lonzo’s face replacing Nas’ from the infamous Illmatic album cover.

Did the Cleveland Cavaliers troll Lonzo Ball with their pregame music on Thursday night?

When the Cavs and Los Angeles Lakers were warming up before Thursday night’s game in Cleveland, rapper Nas’ “New York State of Mind” was heard playing

Maybe playing Nas was just a coincidence because, after all, Nas makes great music and who doesn’t want to hear it? But if the song was played intentionally to troll Lonzo, it wouldn’t be the first time a sports DJ did just that.
ES
Welpee

12/16/2017  10:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/16/2017  11:06 AM
Nalod wrote:
Welpee wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Welpee wrote:

lol...how much is 10% of the XFL worth right now?

Lonzo is rolling the dice on his pops because he really has no choice. What big time athlete without the last name "Ball" is going to voluntarily gamble millions on LaVar Ball? Not happening!

Nalod
USA
12/16/2017  12:13 PM
Welpee wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Welpee wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Lonzo is rolling the dice on his pops because he really has no choice. What big time athlete without the last name "Ball" is going to voluntarily gamble millions on LaVar Ball? Not happening!

You asked a question. I gave an answer. Nalod not staying thats how it happens. Thats how you pay someone.
How funny would sit be if people started shoplifting BBB apparel and foot ware?

Welpee

12/16/2017  12:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/16/2017  12:28 PM
Nalod wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Welpee wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Welpee wrote:

You asked a question. I gave an answer. Nalod not staying thats how it happens. Thats how you pay someone.
How funny would sit be if people started shoplifting BBB apparel and foot ware?

It's not a realistic answer. It's basically a fairy tale to think any big time athlete in their right mind would agree to sacrifice millions of guaranteed money to be paid in shares of a tiny family company with practically no shot amounting to anything.

Like I said, 10% of nothing equals nothing.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

12/17/2017  8:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/17/2017  9:02 PM

Charlamagne on Lavar Ball...

Nalod
USA
12/18/2017  9:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/18/2017  9:09 AM
Host seems to justify Lavar largely in part because he is trying to build his own brand vs. taking endorsement deals and then goes “house vs. field”. I seem to recall the big money was not their from the sneaker companies to his liking. Jordan started with a nice deal and then transformed NIKE and then eventually had an equity stake in the brand and made huge money. Proven talent and proven marketing demand is a big draw. The radio host has made this a Lavar vs. big white corp. companies.
Let’s not forget DRose gets 14mil for 13 years because he was the youngest MVP ever. BIg huge money for a guy who did not “sell out’, he got the money because he proved himself. Harden has a 20 mil a year deal and Durant 30 all over ten years. Rose got hurt, still gets paid. These guys got the big money after they developed the demand. Lavar got no love so he made it about doing his own Thing. thats cool, but he keeps harping on and on about this conflict between what he felt they were worth and dissed by the sneaker companies. This is about Lavar making a company off his kids and doing that it takes to make that happen. Is that a bad thing? Only when compromise is made for the general well being. Lots of kids play go off and play with Jr teams in Europe. KP left home at 16. But they do get some schooling and controlled environment. They are going for themselvee and there game. Did Lavar pull LiAngelo because his kid is not a star and that hurts BBB launch? Pull Melo out of high school because its not enough hype? He doing this for the kids welfare or BBB???
Do we think Lavar is making decisions based on market forces vs. what’s best for his kids? Why do I care? It’s really not a big deal is it? Why do we care about any of this either way?

BTW, there are cases when % was taken over money. David Wright instead of cash took a .5% stake in Vitamin Water and got paid lump sum $20,000,000!!! TEN YEARS AGO!!! 50 Cent also cashed in big. Movie production deals often have % offered vs. Cash. If the talent is there the money usually will follow. Lavar does all the talking. Not his kids. The basketball talent needs to speak for itself. That takes a bit of time.

blkexec
12/18/2017  9:19 AM
Nalod wrote:Host seems to justify Lavar largely in part because he is trying to build his own brand vs. taking endorsement deals and then goes “house vs. field”. I seem to recall the big money was not their from the sneaker companies to his liking. Jordan started with a nice deal and then transformed NIKE and then eventually had an equity stake in the brand and made huge money. Proven talent and proven marketing demand is a big draw. The radio host has made this a Lavar vs. big white corp. companies.
Let’s not forget DRose gets 14mil for 13 years because he was the youngest MVP ever. BIg huge money for a guy who did not “sell out’, he got the money because he proved himself. Harden has a 20 mil a year deal and Durant 30 all over ten years. Rose got hurt, still gets paid. These guys got the big money after they developed the demand. Lavar got no love so he made it about doing his own Thing. thats cool, but he keeps harping on and on about this conflict between what he felt they were worth and dissed by the sneaker companies. This is about Lavar making a company off his kids and doing that it takes to make that happen. Is that a bad thing? Only when compromise is made for the general well being. Lots of kids play go off and play with Jr teams in Europe. KP left home at 16. But they do get some schooling and controlled environment. They are going for themselvee and there game. Did Lavar pull LiAngelo because his kid is not a star and that hurts BBB launch? Pull Melo out of high school because its not enough hype? He doing this for the kids welfare or BBB???
Do we think Lavar is making decisions based on market forces vs. what’s best for his kids? Why do I care? It’s really not a big deal is it? Why do we care about any of this either way?

BTW, there are cases when % was taken over money. David Wright instead of cash took a .5% stake in Vitamin Water and got paid lump sum $20,000,000!!! TEN YEARS AGO!!! 50 Cent also cashed in big. Movie production deals often have % offered vs. Cash. If the talent is there the money usually will follow. Lavar does all the talking. Not his kids. The basketball talent needs to speak for itself. That takes a bit of time.

First bold question.....Is it about Lavar or his kids?.....My answer is yes and yes.

Second bold question.....Why do we care?......I have no idea why Nolads care about another mans money or family relations, when there's no evidence of Lavar abusing his kids.

Lavar is a bad dad....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy