Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/5/2017  1:55 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:when fans think they know better than the pro's.

DOes anyone think that rookies are inconsistent, have to deal with injuries, have bad games, but can in time assimilate then produce?
Or is that not a valid concept UNTIL IT HAPPENS?
THis is what rebuilding looks like. Its messy!!!!
I feel bad for Briggs kids! Parenting with such a short view must be hard.

Yeah a long term view would have him in the D league practicing against a level he can handle. We missed on Smith and Mitchell-- lets sck it up and get him to the D league where he can learn.

So your general assumption here is that because a player is not playing up to some standard level he is NOT learning? You can't learn in practice, with vets, playing real NBA minutes? But in G-League you will pick up the necessary stuff?

He needs to play at a lower level like most 19 year olds. He's not ready for nba basketball-- he needs to learn the pg position-- he's regressed. He needs several games in the dleague where he can play 40 minutes. 99.999999999999999999 of kids at 19 are in college. He's just not nba ready

But sessions, Baker, and Jack aren't ready for NBA basketball either. Timmy Hardaway plays PG for 48 mpg?
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/5/2017  1:58 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

DOes anyone think that rookies are inconsistent, have to deal with injuries, have bad games, but can in time assimilate then produce?

Yeah a long term view would have him in the D league practicing against a level he can handle. We missed on Smith and Mitchell-- lets sck it up and get him to the D league where he can learn.

So your general assumption here is that because a player is not playing up to some standard level he is NOT learning? You can't learn in practice, with vets, playing real NBA minutes? But in G-League you will pick up the necessary stuff?

He needs to play at a lower level like most 19 year olds. He's not ready for nba basketball-- he needs to learn the pg position-- he's regressed. He needs several games in the dleague where he can play 40 minutes. 99.999999999999999999 of kids at 19 are in college. He's just not nba ready

But sessions, Baker, and Jack aren't ready for NBA basketball either. Timmy Hardaway plays PG for 48 mpg?

Two of those guys are nba vets-- we live w it. The other guy is someone our gm felt deserved 4mm per-- live w it
RIP Crushalot😞
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/5/2017  2:19 PM
BRIGGS wrote:He’s progressively getting worse. He’s lost any of the pg aspects we saw early— he can’t shoot- he’s just not an nba player right now

No secret...I was not a fan of the pick (And not because I hate the Kid but because he was a Trinagle/Phil pick), but I dont think he is anywhere near the point of needing to go to the G league. Besides, that is saved for players that are not able to get any considerable playing time in the Pros. He has good form on shots and can drive, just think he lacks the confidence. Think JH needs to force him to be more agressive. Thats if thats what they really think he should be doing right now. No siren call from me yet.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/5/2017  2:24 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:He’s progressively getting worse. He’s lost any of the pg aspects we saw early— he can’t shoot- he’s just not an nba player right now

No secret...I was not a fan of the pick (And not because I hate the Kid but because he was a Trinagle/Phil pick), but I dont think he is anywhere near the point of needing to go to the G league. Besides, that is saved for players that are not able to get any considerable playing time in the Pros. He has good form on shots and can drive, just think he lacks the confidence. Think JH needs to force him to be more agressive. Thats if thats what they really think he should be doing right now. No siren call from me yet.

Going to the g league helped Dotson.... I forgot his quote but he said he benefited from going down there. Frank needs to learn how to score. Seeing guys that are hungry as want his spot should wake him up. Trey Burke needs a shot at the big team.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/5/2017  2:39 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

He needs to play at a lower level like most 19 year olds. He's not ready for nba basketball-- he needs to learn the pg position-- he's regressed. He needs several games in the dleague where he can play 40 minutes. 99.999999999999999999 of kids at 19 are in college. He's just not nba ready? I can put 100 college guards who will never make the nba who can easily do what frank is doing-- is that a reason to be getting the pt? He needs it but the d league would be more constructive

Do we know that this would be better for his long term development than playing 20mins a game vs NBA comp? While being monitored by an NBA head coach? Is there a study or something that shows that G-league is the better route? Players who get sent down are usually sent down since they get no PT. But Frank is getting 20mins a night. And has played majority of his mins in the 4th quarter. Is that better for his long term development even if the results don't meet the expectations of patientless Knick fans?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
12/5/2017  2:50 PM
I do get the notion though. Frank since playing as a pro has mostly learned how to fit in. So it may be useful for him to play in the environment where he is a the go to guy. Try to groom that side of him. In Frank's specific case.
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/5/2017  2:58 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Do you feel the same way about frank as you did about KP after his 1st month in the league?

franks numbers are almost identical to what he avg last season overseas.

ES
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/5/2017  3:00 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

well everyone keeps saying he soaks info like a Sponge, so perhaps they are not encouraging him. He seems to be playing a similar style to jack

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/5/2017  3:23 PM
I like the suggestion he should go to Rucker.
Perhaps he can go to the Levar Ball school?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/5/2017  3:29 PM
Nalod wrote:I like the suggestion he should go to Rucker.
Perhaps he can go to the Levar Ball school?

How are they the same?

BRIGGS
12/5/2017  3:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/5/2017  3:32 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:I do get the notion though. Frank since playing as a pro has mostly learned how to fit in. So it may be useful for him to play in the environment where he is a the go to guy. Try to groom that side of him. In Frank's specific case.

Baseball players start in the minor leagues--why not basketball players? He is 19? If hes at Duke--hes maybe scoring 10 points maybe. But in reality--he wouldnt start over Duval.

RIP Crushalot😞
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

12/5/2017  4:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/5/2017  4:05 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Finestrg wrote:I don't care what any advanced stats say on the matter -- PG is BY FAR our worst position. Sessions? Meh.., Jack's cooked, Frank's not ready and Ron Baker's probably not even an NBA player.

My thing -- go do something!! Go get something to infuse a little juice there. I'd love to see Cat Barber on this team providing speed and offensive punch, getting up & down the court--dude would cost nothing and I think he'd be an instant asset... Trey Burke just put up 39 in the G League. He's been playing well.. We played Indy last night -- Joe Young is buried behind two good PGs in Collison & Joseph. He'd be a nice low-level trade target--nice player, talented, only 25 years old. Call the Pacers up and try to work a minor trade to get him. There are options. But to keep throwing these few guys out there -- Nah...no good, man.

We can paper over the lack of a good PG at times, when we have KP and Hardaway. Not now. There are some talented players on the bench IMO who are primarily missing a PG with a more well rounded game, to make the most of their talents.

At times? Most times!!!...Jack had a nice couple of weeks but he's leveled off considerably...Frank Mason who was picked in the 2nd round looks like a better prospect than Frank N at this point. I know a lot of us want to remain optimistic, but we have to admit that Frank looks nothing more than a slight defensive spark off the bench. I mentioned in a game thread that he may turn out to be another Darrell Walker. A long armmed, big, defensive pg.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

12/5/2017  4:03 PM
EnySpree wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Going to the g league helped Dotson.... I forgot his quote but he said he benefited from going down there. Frank needs to learn how to score. Seeing guys that are hungry as want his spot should wake him up. Trey Burke needs a shot at the big team.

Burke is a better player than Frank today....

newyorknewyork
12/5/2017  4:13 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:I do get the notion though. Frank since playing as a pro has mostly learned how to fit in. So it may be useful for him to play in the environment where he is a the go to guy. Try to groom that side of him. In Frank's specific case.

Baseball players start in the minor leagues--why not basketball players? He is 19? If hes at Duke--hes maybe scoring 10 points maybe. But in reality--he wouldnt start over Duval.

You can't compare baseball to the NBA and we both know that. Not to many examples of Frank playing against other 18-19 yrs besides from the ones he owned overseas.

Westbrook came off the bench his freshman yr at UCLA behind Collison and averaged 3.4pts per game. None of what your are saying with this comment matters in the big picture.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/5/2017  4:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/5/2017  4:23 PM
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Finestrg wrote:I don't care what any advanced stats say on the matter -- PG is BY FAR our worst position. Sessions? Meh.., Jack's cooked, Frank's not ready and Ron Baker's probably not even an NBA player.

My thing -- go do something!! Go get something to infuse a little juice there. I'd love to see Cat Barber on this team providing speed and offensive punch, getting up & down the court--dude would cost nothing and I think he'd be an instant asset... Trey Burke just put up 39 in the G League. He's been playing well.. We played Indy last night -- Joe Young is buried behind two good PGs in Collison & Joseph. He'd be a nice low-level trade target--nice player, talented, only 25 years old. Call the Pacers up and try to work a minor trade to get him. There are options. But to keep throwing these few guys out there -- Nah...no good, man.

We can paper over the lack of a good PG at times, when we have KP and Hardaway. Not now. There are some talented players on the bench IMO who are primarily missing a PG with a more well rounded game, to make the most of their talents.

At times? Most times!!!...Jack had a nice couple of weeks but he's leveled off considerably...Frank Mason who was picked in the 2nd round looks like a better prospect than Frank N at this point. I know a lot of us want to remain optimistic, but we have to admit that Frank looks nothing more than a slight defensive spark off the bench. I mentioned in a game thread that he may turn out to be another Darrell Walker. A long armmed, big, defensive pg.

We went on a win streak with Jack as a starter, so I believe what I said was accurate. I believe Frank has the smarts, the inquisitiveness, the athleticism (needs better conditioning though) to be at least a first rate 6th man.

All depends on how much of a chip on his shoulder Frank develops, not just swagger. When he has one, Frank wont be able to live with not being able to go strong to the rim like his peers. He will be working on that part of his game religiously, if he isnt now.

As Im sure you know from being from the Bronx, having a chip on your shoulder is a quality possessed by many great homegrown NYC PGs. I believe it will determine wether or not Frank is the future starting PG.

BRIGGS
12/5/2017  4:31 PM
Uptown wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

The kid needs a full year of the D league--hes 19. Hes already developing shtty habits--he doesnt pass and even his defense has not been that good. Let him play 10-20 games 35-40 minutes in the D league-- eat chicken and fish every day for a year with serious weight training.

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/5/2017  4:46 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Do you feel the same way about frank as you did about KP after his 1st month in the league?

You asking me or Briggs? I'm not the one who said to send Frank down. I'm not sure what first month stuff you're referring to with KP though. He averaged 14 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks a game in November of his rookie year.
newyorknewyork
12/5/2017  4:54 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

You asking me or Briggs? I'm not the one who said to send Frank down. I'm not sure what first month stuff you're referring to with KP though. He averaged 14 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks a game in November of his rookie year.

That is interesting that in a far superior league he has been able to produce the same numbers. Maybe as he matures his numbers will grow as well. 🤔

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/5/2017  5:50 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Uptown wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

The kid needs a full year of the D league--hes 19. Hes already developing shtty habits--he doesnt pass and even his defense has not been that good. Let him play 10-20 games 35-40 minutes in the D league-- eat chicken and fish every day for a year with serious weight training.

Delusional, now briggs is offering nutritional advice to him. Ever think the coach is telling him what to do? Just because its not successful at the moment, doe not mean he can't hone his skill.
Kid is learning to play in 4th quarters. What do you think he eats?

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/5/2017  6:57 PM
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Uptown wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Delusional, now briggs is offering nutritional advice to him. Ever think the coach is telling him what to do? Just because its not successful at the moment, doe not mean he can't hone his skill.
Kid is learning to play in 4th quarters. What do you think he eats?

If we were a more successful franchise with deeper talent, he would be in the G League.

I do think he could benefit from time playing against 'lesser' competition.

Sending him down, though seems to say we messed the pick...

Frank should be playing in the g league

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy