This losing streak is a blessing in disguise
Author Thread
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/29/2017  1:31 PM
Losing is great. Ask any Philly fan.

As a matter of fact, consider becoming a Philly fan. They love losing. They embrace it. It's a way of life, that process.
And now just 5 or 6 years later, they get to enjoy being... mediocre. Before one or their fragile new cogs breaks again. Or they trade away some guy who was the last first round pick for some future first round picks.
But then they can start the tanking all over again. So much fun. There's always something new and shiny just waiting in the next draft.

Meanwhile, the league goes merrily on for another decade with three or four teams at the top, and a mangled bunch of franchises pining for that once in a lifetime lottery ticket...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Losers sort of... like... losing. Don't they?

AUTOADVERT
newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

11/29/2017  1:36 PM
martin wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
awe1028 wrote:I am not sure about all of you but I have seen all I need to know that this season no matter how it ends up is already a success. The Knicks are rebuilding and as such this season is mainly one of evaluation - to determine if there are players who can form the nucleus of a perennial playoff team. It's been only 20 games but so far I think this question has been answered in the affirmative.

KP Kanter and THJR have all played at a fairly high level and while Frank has been inconsistent he has shown enough flashes at least to me that he can also be part of the core. What the Knicks lack is a wing player specifically a SF that can move the needle. In a different thread I proposed Paul George. Many quite accurately pointed out that this is not particularly realistic (though I still think its possible).

Which brings me to the point of the thread. I happened to look at the lottery standings and noticed that lo and behold after this three game losing streak the Knicks are currently in the lottery. With their inability to win on the road, Kanter's injury and the brutal road stretch coming up it is conceivable the Knicks could find themselves at the top half of the lottery soon.

This is the best of both worlds for the Knicks - losing a lot of games enough so that they have access to the best players in the draft while simultaneously developing star players that can form the cornerstone of a winning contending franchise

So rather than bemoan the fact that this is "the same old Knicks" rejoice in the fact that the Knicks could add another young lottery talent to their existing core.

its what has to be done, the problem is we won't be high enough to get the franchise changer we need

We won't be in the top 5 to get a Doncic or M.Bagley or M.Porter but if we could get into the top 8 and come away with either M.Bridges or my favorite K.Knox who both have a chance of being really good players at the SF position then i would be happy with that.

It's too much of a good story IF Knicks make it to lottery that they won't end up with Doncic.

Kanter, KP, Doncic, THJr, Frank.

International lineup!

With David Blatt coaching

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/29/2017  1:37 PM
jrodmc wrote:Losing is great. Ask any Philly fan.

As a matter of fact, consider becoming a Philly fan. They love losing. They embrace it. It's a way of life, that process.
And now just 5 or 6 years later, they get to enjoy being... mediocre. Before one or their fragile new cogs breaks again. Or they trade away some guy who was the last first round pick for some future first round picks.
But then they can start the tanking all over again. So much fun. There's always something new and shiny just waiting in the next draft.

Meanwhile, the league goes merrily on for another decade with three or four teams at the top, and a mangled bunch of franchises pining for that once in a lifetime lottery ticket...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Philly now has players who can win a championship. Its either you have guys like that or you dont. If you strive to be 38-44--you half ass things. The Knicks are good at half ass things under Dolan--proven for 20 years, but we usually only get to 28 wins--we try to win--bt we simply sck.

RIP Crushalot😞
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/29/2017  1:38 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
martin wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
awe1028 wrote:I am not sure about all of you but I have seen all I need to know that this season no matter how it ends up is already a success. The Knicks are rebuilding and as such this season is mainly one of evaluation - to determine if there are players who can form the nucleus of a perennial playoff team. It's been only 20 games but so far I think this question has been answered in the affirmative.

KP Kanter and THJR have all played at a fairly high level and while Frank has been inconsistent he has shown enough flashes at least to me that he can also be part of the core. What the Knicks lack is a wing player specifically a SF that can move the needle. In a different thread I proposed Paul George. Many quite accurately pointed out that this is not particularly realistic (though I still think its possible).

Which brings me to the point of the thread. I happened to look at the lottery standings and noticed that lo and behold after this three game losing streak the Knicks are currently in the lottery. With their inability to win on the road, Kanter's injury and the brutal road stretch coming up it is conceivable the Knicks could find themselves at the top half of the lottery soon.

This is the best of both worlds for the Knicks - losing a lot of games enough so that they have access to the best players in the draft while simultaneously developing star players that can form the cornerstone of a winning contending franchise

So rather than bemoan the fact that this is "the same old Knicks" rejoice in the fact that the Knicks could add another young lottery talent to their existing core.

its what has to be done, the problem is we won't be high enough to get the franchise changer we need

We won't be in the top 5 to get a Doncic or M.Bagley or M.Porter but if we could get into the top 8 and come away with either M.Bridges or my favorite K.Knox who both have a chance of being really good players at the SF position then i would be happy with that.

It's too much of a good story IF Knicks make it to lottery that they won't end up with Doncic.

Kanter, KP, Doncic, THJr, Frank.

International lineup!

With David Blatt coaching

Please no.

awe1028
Member: #2780

11/29/2017  2:01 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Precisely which is exactly where we were last year in which case just as you said players like Miles Bridges and Kevin Knox become possibilities. I like Bridges but his lack of length bothers me. But Knox Now that's a player that's really intriguing He has the length to be a terror on the defensive end is athletic explosive and though his offensive is somewhat raw he is rapidly improving on that end.
awe1028

11/29/2017  2:03 PM

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You can't seriously be saying you don't see the difference between the Knicks this year vs previous recent vintage.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/29/2017  3:25 PM
awe1028 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Precisely which is exactly where we were last year in which case just as you said players like Miles Bridges and Kevin Knox become possibilities. I like Bridges but his lack of length bothers me. But Knox Now that's a player that's really intriguing He has the length to be a terror on the defensive end is athletic explosive and though his offensive is somewhat raw he is rapidly improving on that end.

KP has the length and while Bridges would bring the bulk and defensive versatility. Bridges 6'9" wingspan isnt bad when you consider how explosive he is. He's been a little three happy lately. I know he can shoot. I want to see him focus more on shot creation.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
awe1028

12/1/2017  10:07 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
awe1028 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

[b]KP has the length and while Bridges would bring the bulk and defensive versatility. Bridges 6'9" wingspan isnt bad when you consider how explosive he is. He's been a little three happy lately. I know he can shoot. I want to see him focus more on shot creation.

Like I said I like Miles but between him and Knox I go Knox. The reason: defense. The moment NY drafted Frank the die was cast. Their calling card to a championship is going to have to be defense.

As newyorker4ever stated they are just not going to lose enough to get the elite scorer (Porter, Doncic) so they have to get the best two player they can find and Knox more than Bridge gives them that 2 way presence.

Miles is athletic enough to be a good defender but he just does not have the length to be elite on that end. Knox does in spades. Imagine having a SF with his length. Couple his length with KP and Frank's and the dominant rebounding of Kanter and you really have something. The Knicks already have the potential to be a great defensive team witness their demolition of Toronto in that 3rd quarter. They need to continue building on that defense.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/1/2017  10:19 AM
Give me Mikal Bridges in the middle of the first round. Elite defender and good outside shooter. He's the type of role player championship teams need surrounding stars. Similar to Danny Green and Trevor Ariza.
awe1028

12/4/2017  12:01 AM
Another small forward prospect I also like is Jarred Vanderbilt Kentucky Defensively he fits right in with the Knicks are doing good handles good passer his shooting needs some work though. He'd be a more realistic option than the the two Bridges or Knox if the Knicks don't get to the upper levels of the lottery.
izybx
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1178
USA
12/4/2017  5:10 AM
EnySpree wrote:If we are a playoff team, 3 game losing streaks are charecters builders. If we are for real we are about to clean up the next 10 games. 6-4 is legit. We could easily go 2-8 or 0-10. Only maniacs would get mad either way.

This

Beat the Evil Empire. BEAT MIAMI
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/6/2017  10:08 AM
awe1028 wrote:

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You can't seriously be saying you don't see the difference between the Knicks this year vs previous recent vintage.

No, I'm seriously saying tanking is an idiotic and incoherent way to be a fan of a specific team. I'm pleasantly surprised at how we've been playing and how KP is responding to the void. I like Kanter standing up for Frankie and being a slightly more efficient double double machine. I just like saying "McBuckets" It's like going to Mc'D's and being able to order KFC original recipe. We have a new "The Dunk" highlight from Dougie!

Despite some recent bad play, I like Frankie's upside. He's shiny! He's 19! Wingspan hasn't changed!

This losing streak is a blessing in disguise

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy