[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is it too early to say that Perry won the Melo Trade?!?
Author Thread
SocraticBallin22
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6096

11/20/2017  10:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/20/2017  10:07 PM
I know it's early, but...

1) we have a better record than OKC right now which is under .500.

2) Kanter as a starter is putting up all star numbers at Center in points, rebounds and FG% exceeding expectations.

3) Dougie McBuckets is playing the best ball of his short NBA career. He finally has found his niche in Horny's offensive system and is lethal coming off the bench (early running for 6th man of the year consideration?).

4)Melo's contract is off our books and we didn't take back a contract that's longer.

5) We got Chicago's 2nd round pick, which will probably be the 1st pick in the 2nd round (another late 1st rounder)

6) Toxic Melo ball stopping and lack of defense has gone away. Team moving the ball freely and defending.

So far Scott Perry has hit a homerun with the trade!

We got 2 rotational players playing at a high level who are 25 and a 2nd rounder (which is really a late 1st rounder), and we're playing great.

AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/20/2017  10:08 PM
it's not early.

We smoked OKC. Not even close.

I can't believe what we got for Melo.

If we had gotten either just Kanter or McDermott - we would still have won the trade.

But all three?

When was the last time we got so much value back in a trade? Maybe Latrell Sprewell or Marcus Camby?

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

11/20/2017  10:14 PM
Nah its still way too early for me. Knicks have looked great early on in the past, I'll believe it come All star break
The Future is Bright!
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/20/2017  10:23 PM
I'm liking doug. Surprisingly intense on D.

Enes is annoying and effective, like a young and more physical zsa zsa.

I'm happy as hell with this trade. I was dreading anderson.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
11/20/2017  10:26 PM
I like Kanter a ton more than i thought i would. Filled a vacuum of inside player perfectly next to KP. Perfect compliment.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/20/2017  10:28 PM
6 - was the ONLY upgrade we needed out of the trade
1-5 is garvy
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/20/2017  10:37 PM
TPercy wrote:Nah its still way too early for me. Knicks have looked great early on in the past, I'll believe it come All star break

It's not so much about the W/L record but what we got in return for Melo. Kanter and McDermott have been integral parts of this team. That's a pretty good return considering how low Melo's value was.
2 rotation players in their mid 20's that still have upside. That's better than most would've thought we'd get. On top of that we have that Bulls pick.

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

11/20/2017  10:58 PM
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:Nah its still way too early for me. Knicks have looked great early on in the past, I'll believe it come All star break

It's not so much about the W/L record but what we got in return for Melo. Kanter and McDermott have been integral parts of this team. That's a pretty good return considering how low Melo's value was.
2 rotation players in their mid 20's that still have upside. That's better than most would've thought we'd get. On top of that we have that Bulls pick.

True but I want to be sure that these guys are the real deal.
The Future is Bright!
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

11/20/2017  11:19 PM
I've felt all along this would be addition by subtraction. I didn't realize to what extent. We're seeing ball movement, energy, team play, defensive effort, leadership...think those things would be in play if Carmelo were here? That we have also gotten two young, strong contributors is amazing. Who is the last guy we had that crashes the boards like Kanter? And would stand up to Lejuice James? And now Dougie is taking off. Not to mention the #2 and a little salary relief.

I won't mind if Melo helps OKC but I'm loving this.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/21/2017  12:07 AM
TPercy wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Well I think both Kanter and McD are doing pretty much what they're both capable of but on this team they're getting more of a chance to do more since this team is about Ball and Player movement rather than one guy controlling the ball all the time.

I think most expected Kanter to score inside but his overall game has improved here. McDermott came in with a bad rep but he's been really good. He's shown more of the talent he displayed in college. That's why you take a chance on young guys that have upside left. You hope to get them in your program and get more out of them. It can't be said anymore that the Knicks aren't developing players cuz these players are actually showing growth.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
11/21/2017  12:17 AM
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Well I think both Kanter and McD are doing pretty much what they're both capable of but on this team they're getting more of a chance to do more since this team is about Ball and Player movement rather than one guy controlling the ball all the time.

I think most expected Kanter to score inside but his overall game has improved here. McDermott came in with a bad rep but he's been really good. He's shown more of the talent he displayed in college. That's why you take a chance on young guys that have upside left. You hope to get them in your program and get more out of them. It can't be said anymore that the Knicks aren't developing players cuz these players are actually showing growth.

I don't disagree with you but both Kanter (who can opt out) and McDermont are on contract years, which probably is a bigger factor in their "growth." The question is whether they will continue to grow after they get their money.

Trust the Process
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/21/2017  12:51 AM
Does there have to be a “Loser” for the knicks to have done well on the trade?
I don’t care about OKC. If knicks succeed, I hope OKC wins the finals and Melo is MVP.
It’s not like that was going to happen here.
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

11/21/2017  6:04 AM
I'm thankful that we at least did a trade paying some dividends...when you trade for cents on the dollar you lose....period...however even if you trade for 25% of Melo worth you make sure you evaluate and take best of bad options...teams will want you to take on salary and etc....we got two young pieces that have played exceptionally well....

Perry took his time and jus did not do a trade for the sake of it..part of it was waiting Melo and his people out on the Houston deal...once we got past that Perry had a free hand a bit...

This was a "straight jacket trade" everyone in the league knew Melo had us over a barrel...but Perry recognized that we had some cards to play too...no buyout...not long term salary coming back...if we do not get what we want then Melo is smiling at media trying to say all the right things...yes it would have been a circus...but what would have really been a circus is having to take Anderson and try to move him later....

Given the hand we had we did not win the WS of poker....but we at least made it close to the big table as of right now...and who knows as the season progresses we may be rubbing elbows with Phil Ivey...

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

11/21/2017  8:15 AM
Nope not early at all. The only person delusional enough to say otherwise is Stephen A Smith who is a notorious Melo fan. Even a lot of OKC fans are regretting the trade. I do admit I was wrong about Kanter. I wasn't thrilled when we got him because I felt he was similar to melo in that he only did one thing well. However his rebound has been HUGE, he has also created more space for KP, and even his defense hasn't been that bad. Dougie McBuckets I have always been a fan of even when he was coming out of college. Its good to see him starting to live up to some of the potential. Sometimes guys just need a change of scenery and a situation that fits their ability. Also that high second rounder will come in handy if we wanted to move up in the draft or if someone falls to us.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/21/2017  8:31 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/21/2017  8:38 AM
Considering that Melo had a NTC, Perry did very well. He stopped an earlier deal that was said to be "trading Melo for a bag of chips" and made a much better one. Not taking back long term garbage was no small achievement for this franchise either.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/21/2017  8:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/21/2017  8:50 AM
I feel like we won the trade at this point. Maybe it's still TBD on OKC's end, but they could use McDermott and Kanter right now as their depth is shallow and Melo really doesn't bring anything to the table that they don't already have. I'm sure they would be happy just starting Patterson or Grant and having Kanter and McDermott off the bench. They have no backup center at all and lack shooters. The draft pick is just a bonus for us at this point.
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
11/21/2017  8:53 AM
It proves that basketball is a TEAM game. Melo is fatally flawed as a player and won't ever win a championship unless he plays off the bench!!!!
Rose is not the answer.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/21/2017  8:53 AM
And apparently Phil was going to buy him out! Just shows, if true, what a horrible president he was.

Add that to Noah, trading for Rose and his only redeeming moves were going with draft picks that others advocated for.

Ira
Member: #91
11/21/2017  8:57 AM
I give the Knicks coaching staff some of the credit. DougieD and Enes the Menace are both playing much better ball with us than they did in OKOC.
blkexec
Member: #748
11/21/2017  9:10 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Considering that Melo had a NTC, Perry did very well. He stopped an earlier deal that was said to be "trading Melo for a bag of chips" and made a much better one. Not taking back long term garbage was no small achievement for this franchise either.

Great move by Steve mills who went out and grabbed perry.....someone who's not part of the Dolan gang.....hes also good under pressure which is needed in NYC.

I'm glad we finally have a GM that knows how to build a team without taking back garbage just to satisfy the tabloids.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Is it too early to say that Perry won the Melo Trade?!?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy