[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Small Forward For 2018
Author Thread
Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

11/22/2017  5:30 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:I actually think we should be focused on guard
THJ/McDErmott is solid at 3. Lancé available at 3 as well.

What we need is a better point guard than Jack and Frank will need a few years. Frank may never be enough even of a player on offense to carry your PG spot.

I'd look for a combo guard before anything else. Think we are solid at 3 with THj, McD, and Lance.

the problem is Hardaway cant guard elite forwards like Giannis, Simmons, lebron, George, and Durant. We need a legit 6-8, 6-9 SF with length. We get somebody like that our has insane potential. I do agree they need another Guard too. Preferably one who can penetrate and score.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/22/2017  7:23 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:Lot of folks underestimating McDermott. Does a lot of things well on offense, and his D has been much better than advertised...If he adds a little more overall strength I don't see why he can't play the 3 for us.

Smart player, more competitive than I had anticipated, quick release, and he moves as well without the ball as anyone we've had in years. He is also able to finish at the basket.

Best case scenario for him...Kiki Vandeweghe? Ray Allen/Redick/Korver? Cazzie Russell?

Can get a little bit stronger for next year...but I don't see why he can't get good minutes at the 3 moving forward- maybe as a starter...maybe as a 6th Man of the Year type reserve.

I think you have to hope Doug turns out to develop a bit like JJ Redick- where both guys were great players in college, but perhaps not the athletes to translate instantly in the NBA. Look at Redicks career early on, he wasn't what he became when he matured.

I think Doug might be best off the bench as a role player. But I do want to keep him.

Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

11/22/2017  2:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/22/2017  4:15 PM
Jmpasq wrote:

What we need is a better point guard than Jack and Frank will need a few years. Frank may never be enough even of a player on offense to carry your PG spot.

I'd look for a combo guard before anything else. Think we are solid at 3 with THj, McD, and Lance.

the problem is Hardaway cant guard elite forwards like Giannis, Simmons, lebron, George, and Durant. We need a legit 6-8, 6-9 SF with length. We get somebody like that our has insane potential. I do agree they need another Guard too. Preferably one who can penetrate and score.

Agreed and I think we could add exactly what you're looking for right now & on the cheap. We'd need to do a little roster shuffling (like others are saying on another thread, I agree that we should try to move KOQ while his value is high right now for example -- not even looking for the moon for him--even if we got a 2nd rounder and cash for him--more would be great obviously but I just want the roster spot open) but I think there are good options available right now:

Briggs has brought up Christian Wood many times -- I mean how 'bout this guy in the KOQ role? About 5 years younger, longer, he's put on some weight (no way this guy is still at his listed weight of 216 lbs.), much more skilled overall offensively, we wouldn't lose any of O'Quinn's shot-blocking (in fact I think we'd add even more of that element here with Wood) AND we'd be adding even more versatility as Wood can play both the 3 & 4. I'd also look to move Lance Thomas too as Wood could cover his spot as well (plus I want more guaranteed time for McDermott AND it would open up time for Willy -- I'd like to see them make Willy relevant again). Wood's just sitting there in the D-League, don't think he's tied to an NBA team right now. Current G-League stats: 34 mins., 25.5 ppg, 56.5% FGs, 41.7% on 3s, 10.3 rpg, 1.8 steals, 2.3 blocks. The kid's NBA-ready, man. No question about it. He's actually already had a couple of cups of coffee in the NBA and has performed well. Absolutely NOTHING more to prove at the G-League level:

Here's Wood more than holding his own against Diamond Stone:

And I keep saying it -- how about Cat Barber in a backup scoring guard role? Only 23 years old, EXCELLENT scorer with all the requisite PG skills. Up to me, this guy already would've been a Knick. Currently playing in Italy -- I'm sure he's got some kind of out in his contract to go to the NBA:

I mean how in the world did neither of these dudes get drafted!? How much better (or more dangerous with an even better future) would we be with Wood/Barber in ALONG WITH McDermott/Willy getting more time over Sessions/KOQ/Lance Thomas? I think a couple of subtle moves like this would cement a playoff spot this year. And if for some reason it didn't, I'd still LOVE the upside with the two players we'd be adding.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
11/22/2017  4:53 PM
Jmpasq wrote:

I agree that Hardaway isn’t the answer. If Kanter (at $20 million) and McDeemott are keepers and solid role players in the rotation, KP will require another all star for us to move into a more elite status and compete with Celtics and Phili. If Frank and Dotson provide a solid backcourt fine but Embiid will eat Kanter for breakfast. Your 3 ideally was Porter and he has surgery yesterday. We are talking about someone like Jason Tatum. If we are to win a championship then Tim Hardaway ain’t taking you there. Likewise, for $20 Mm I’m still not sold on Kanter as we need a defensive presence in the hole and someone who boards (and ideally under 25). Begley, Bamba and Ayers May Be the way to go, with Middleton a FA signing (as you won’t be paying Kanter, Lee and presumably OQuinn.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

11/23/2017  8:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/23/2017  8:24 PM
Paris907 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

I agree that Hardaway isn’t the answer. If Kanter (at $20 million) and McDeemott are keepers and solid role players in the rotation, KP will require another all star for us to move into a more elite status and compete with Celtics and Phili. If Frank and Dotson provide a solid backcourt fine but Embiid will eat Kanter for breakfast. Your 3 ideally was Porter and he has surgery yesterday. We are talking about someone like Jason Tatum. If we are to win a championship then Tim Hardaway ain’t taking you there. Likewise, for $20 Mm I’m still not sold on Kanter as we need a defensive presence in the hole and someone who boards (and ideally under 25). Begley, Bamba and Ayers May Be the way to go, with Middleton a FA signing (as you won’t be paying Kanter, Lee and presumably OQuinn.

Hardaway is a capable SG. The Knicks are surprisingly close if they keep this core together. The trick is turning Noah and Lee into an All Star SF. Bringing in another scorer/slasher in as another PG, and a backup true 4. We get that suddenly this team is competing for a top 3 seed. They really need another player at the level of Porzingis. The race to get that all star 3 whether through the draft or FA before we max out Porzingis is on. Once we do that big moves will be impossible to make. Kanter is a tough call, letting him walk for nothing is something i don't want to do. He compliments Porzingis really well

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

11/24/2017  1:59 AM
reub wrote:PG? Come on now. We need to get young guys. 25 or younger.

If Paul George, or LBJ or DeMarcus Cousins want to be Knicks, sign them. Figure out the rest later.

(None of them want to be Knicks, but just as a thought exercise, if you can get a franchise All Star to sign with no outgoing assets moving, you are just using cap space, you do it)

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/24/2017  11:20 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/24/2017  11:31 AM
Jmpasq wrote:

It's a team sport... we just have to concentrate on getting our best 5-9 players together. We don't need to worry about guarding 5 guys at a singular position. In a season, you are talking about getting a player to guard those guys for 16 games out of 82.... the focus should always be getting the best 5 -9 players we cab that will run through a wall together. I really don't see teams saying, we need to get a 7' guy that can chase around KP on the perimeter. Teams have to guard us too. So **** Gianni, Simmons, LeBron, George and durant.... tell them to bring it.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/24/2017  11:44 AM
Btw.... Paul George is a free agent next year. If OKC fails he's the guy we need to holler at. His game fits what were doing now seamlessly
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
reub
Member: #6227

11/24/2017  1:30 PM
EnySpree wrote:Btw.... Paul George is a free agent next year. If OKC fails he's the guy we need to holler at. His game fits what were doing now seamlessly

I thought that PG wanted to go to L.A.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

11/24/2017  1:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/24/2017  1:53 PM
Finestrg wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Agreed and I think we could add exactly what you're looking for right now & on the cheap. We'd need to do a little roster shuffling (like others are saying on another thread, I agree that we should try to move KOQ while his value is high right now for example -- not even looking for the moon for him--even if we got a 2nd rounder and cash for him--more would be great obviously but I just want the roster spot open) but I think there are good options available right now:

Briggs has brought up Christian Wood many times -- I mean how 'bout this guy in the KOQ role? About 5 years younger, longer, he's put on some weight (no way this guy is still at his listed weight of 216 lbs.), much more skilled overall offensively, we wouldn't lose any of O'Quinn's shot-blocking (in fact I think we'd add even more of that element here with Wood) AND we'd be adding even more versatility as Wood can play both the 3 & 4. I'd also look to move Lance Thomas too as Wood could cover his spot as well (plus I want more guaranteed time for McDermott AND it would open up time for Willy -- I'd like to see them make Willy relevant again). Wood's just sitting there in the D-League, don't think he's tied to an NBA team right now. Current G-League stats: 34 mins., 25.5 ppg, 56.5% FGs, 41.7% on 3s, 10.3 rpg, 1.8 steals, 2.3 blocks. The kid's NBA-ready, man. No question about it. He's actually already had a couple of cups of coffee in the NBA and has performed well. Absolutely NOTHING more to prove at the G-League level:

Here's Wood more than holding his own against Diamond Stone:

And I keep saying it -- how about Cat Barber in a backup scoring guard role? Only 23 years old, EXCELLENT scorer with all the requisite PG skills. Up to me, this guy already would've been a Knick. Currently playing in Italy -- I'm sure he's got some kind of out in his contract to go to the NBA:

I mean how in the world did neither of these dudes get drafted!? How much better (or more dangerous with an even better future) would we be with Wood/Barber in ALONG WITH McDermott/Willy getting more time over Sessions/KOQ/Lance Thomas? I think a couple of subtle moves like this would cement a playoff spot this year. And if for some reason it didn't, I'd still LOVE the upside with the two players we'd be adding.

I agree with what you think our needs are but some of you gotta stop thinking that just because a player puts up great stats in college or the g-league doesn't mean they can do the same thing in the NBA and it's been proven over and over and over again. Pretty much every single player drafted in the 1st round of every draft and many of the kids drafted in the 2nd round put up really good numbers in college and now think about how many of the 30 players drafted in the 1st round make it in the NBA. I'd be shocked if 15-20 of them are in the NBA in 2-3 years. I like C.Wood and what he's doing in the g-league but every single GM or their scouts have already looked at this kids game tape and he's still in the g-league. Now i also do think there's players out there that are in the g-league or playing overseas that could make it in the NBA but just haven't got a real chance and maybe C.Wood is one of them but he has been on teams in the NBA and still didn't end up making the team. When you watch the videos posted of him look at the players he's going against, they're not what i'd call NBA material...lol. The same can be said for C.Barber.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

11/24/2017  2:00 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
reub wrote:PG? Come on now. We need to get young guys. 25 or younger.

If Paul George, or LBJ or DeMarcus Cousins want to be Knicks, sign them. Figure out the rest later.

(None of them want to be Knicks, but just as a thought exercise, if you can get a franchise All Star to sign with no outgoing assets moving, you are just using cap space, you do it)

I would never ever put D.Cousins on this team. We actually have a team full of unselfish players who all have chemistry and now some people wanna ruin all that by adding a selfish player like D.Cousins? No thank you. I'd only put him on a team if i was an owner just trying to sell tickets and doesn't care about winning.

Paris907
USA
11/24/2017  2:23 PM
EnySpree wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

It's a team sport... we just have to concentrate on getting our best 5-9 players together. We don't need to worry about guarding 5 guys at a singular position. In a season, you are talking about getting a player to guard those guys for 16 games out of 82.... the focus should always be getting the best 5 -9 players we cab that will run through a wall together. I really don't see teams saying, we need to get a 7' guy that can chase around KP on the perimeter. Teams have to guard us too. So **** Gianni, Simmons, LeBron, George and durant.... tell them to bring it.

Other than agreeing that it’s a team sport, I am unsure of what you are saying. It appears that most of your commentary here and other comments strive for 8th Place and the playoffs. I’d rather tank and compliment KP with another all star caliber player. I’m frankly on the fence about a number of players but ask me on Feb 3 after the team has played 16 of 20 on the road.

Paris907
USA
11/24/2017  2:25 PM
reub wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Btw.... Paul George is a free agent next year. If OKC fails he's the guy we need to holler at. His game fits what were doing now seamlessly

PG is a solid talent. However given that he’s suffered a major injury and has what 9-10 years in the league, I’d opt for under 25. When KP is peaking at 25 PG will be 33. I’ll pass.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/24/2017  2:29 PM
Paris907 wrote:
reub wrote:

PG is a solid talent. However given that he’s suffered a major injury and has what 9-10 years in the league, I’d opt for under 25. When KP is peaking at 25 PG will be 33. I’ll pass.

PG is exactly 5 years older than KP, this is his 8th year in the league.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Paris907
USA
11/24/2017  2:56 PM
martin wrote:
Paris907 wrote:
reub wrote:

PG is exactly 5 years older than KP, this is his 8th year in the league.

Thanks for the correction. However, PG came in the league 2010 and would be in his 8th year in the league after major injury. If Knicks can peak in 2-3 years, PG would be 30-31, 11 years in, and have suffered a major injury. Lee was a talented defensive player yet he’s lost a step. I think Paul George would as well after 30. It’s pribably a moot point considering he’s expressed interest in the West Coast yet as much as I like Paul Georges game, I’d opt for younger less damaged goods

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

11/25/2017  2:28 AM
Would anyone support the idea of signing Dante Exum in free agency to then develop him as a 3? At a lengthy 6"7', I think he has the pre-requistie build to defend the position and could double as our primary ballhandler next to Ntilikina. I really like what I saw of him in preseason/summer league and would gamble big/short-term money on him.
Paris907
USA
11/25/2017  5:57 AM
NardDogNation wrote:Would anyone support the idea of signing Dante Exum in free agency to then develop him as a 3? At a lengthy 6"7', I think he has the pre-requistie build to defend the position and could double as our primary ballhandler next to Ntilikina. I really like what I saw of him in preseason/summer league and would gamble big/short-term money on him.

As the game has changed so dramatically with big men now able to handle and shoot. Cazzie was 6’5” and KIkI wasn’t much bigger. Jason Tatum is 6-8-6’9 and can handle. Guards are 6-7-6-10”. Porter would be you’re prototype sf and may still be. Athletic who can handle,shoot and play D. Forget what was. I mean I love KP but he boards sparingly for his size.

Small Forward For 2018

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy