[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is kanter the new oak for these knicks
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/15/2017  12:14 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:LOVE Kanter.
He is everything I was hoping Noah would be last year.

I think the injuries just took a toll on his mental, it was painful just watching him grabbing his shoulder after every rebound or shot.

He probably still has something left in the tank, and he is super motivated

ES
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/15/2017  9:08 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
PresIke wrote:I like Kanter so far for most of the same reasons, but can have done without the sexist joke, even if it made me go, "Oohh, damnnn."

I'm sure some will call me a snowflake or whatever you want, but sorry...not cool with calling a boy a girl as an insult. Nope.

I'm sure some feel the same way.

Peace.

Why in the world is there a necessity to be politically correct these days? Lighten up Francis-- it was a timely comeback--relax

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/15/2017  9:28 AM
more good quotes

“It’s a full 180,’’ Hardaway said. “It’s great. A lot of guys are taking each possession in practice very serious. We’re building our game. We’re building a culture here. When we step in this practice, we are all ears and minds are open. Everyone is giving their input and everyone is locked in on both ends of the floor.”

got to love it.

ES
nyknickspodcast
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4332

11/15/2017  9:50 AM
Loved Kanter stepping up for Frank. That's the kind of thing that brings a team closer together. The kind of thing that was lacking from this team for a long time.
@nyknickspodcast
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/15/2017  10:03 AM
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/15/2017  10:29 AM
Love the quotes and one game tough man thing.
Dude has a good game and has filled in nicely for Noah.
Oak had a 10year career with knicks as Ewings wing man and enforcer.
He was the spiritual catalyst for a tough man era. In the 20 years since he has left his legacy has bloated to iconic status which is cool.
Kanter has been here a few weeks.
Sensationalistic to label Kanter the new lovable tough guy. I admire him more being critical to the the Current Turkish president and has been separated from his family for his words. I admire a man who sacrifices something for what he believes in, not just words or symbolic kneeling. Yes I support Kapernick! Not the posers behind them. Kapernick Knelt himself out of the league for now.
Kanter might not be long for this world if the Turkish evil were to silence him.
I admire Oak for what he does off the world of basketball. Seems to be a good man.
Oak in a basketball arena turns into some self absorbed WWE character who is painfully crying for attention. His antics have bounced him from Jordans inner circle and from any NBA related job. His history of confrontation the last few years is a problem for him. He somehow wants the NBA to come to him and celebrate his tough guy'ness and expects that alone deserves a job. He has been an assistant coach in the NBA, not sure what his cred is as one. He blew his back out fighting in Las Vegas where accounts were he was drunk and unruly.

Sorry, I don't suck up to the "Oak is god" thing. Dolan is an ass, but that does not make Oak righteous in his quest for love.
As for Kanter, he and Noah would make for a hell of a tandam at the 5 albeit an expensive one!!

"Is Kanter the New Oak"? fun to ponder. The answer is "not quite yet".

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/15/2017  10:44 AM
Zebo13 wrote:
PresIke wrote:I like Kanter so far for most of the same reasons, but can have done without the sexist joke, even if it made me go, "Oohh, damnnn."

I'm sure some will call me a snowflake or whatever you want, but sorry...not cool with calling a boy a girl as an insult. Nope.

Peace.

I’m all about feminism but I took the jab more as an insult to royalty and the image of a bratty princess always having to have her way than an insult to women. Just my two cents.

I do not believe in feminism or mascularizm. I believe only in humanism.
Kanter is a great human being and OK bbal player and LeBron is great bbal player and so-so human being.
Oak is cultural symbol not a bbal player any more, Kanter is a Knick but not a symbol yet.
It takes a while to became one.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
blkexec
Member: #748
11/15/2017  11:00 AM
Kanter and I share the same feelings about enemies on the court, friends off the court. That's how champions approached every game. And that's how I approached every game. It's a war out there. Must be mentally ready to battle.

I have a new respect for Kanter. But Noah is a better comparison to Oakley. Lets hope Noah develops a jump shot like Oak did. Between Kanter and KP and Noah.....Frank has a lot of influential players around him. Not to mention Jack, Sessions and Lee.....Hardaway is learning how to impact the game, outside of just shooting 3s.

Gotta love the post Melo era....It says a lot about a player when a team immediately improves after he leaves. Melo sucks the life out of his teammates and fans. And it's just the little things that matters. Effort on both ends. Remove the smiles and go to war.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/15/2017  11:30 AM
Glad to see Enes take a leadership role.
Must be hard for this kid to have been in Salt Lake City and OKC. He should opt out and give us a bit of a discount for a long term deal that
gives him a chance to live in a multi cultural city like NY. Put a trade kicker in to cities not diverse.
I hope Noah beasts and can get a trade to a contender. Minny has to have something we can use?
I like the chemistry around the knicks. Remember when posters wanted Oak to be "knick tough guy coach?"
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/15/2017  12:36 PM
KnickDanger wrote:Yeah, the 'princess" remark is not 2017 correct and I wouldn't say it but...he said it to Lebron. Ha!

I was thinking too about the Oak comparison. Different skill sets but I agree with the the initial post. Thinking about how Oakley really gave that great Knick group its identity when he was traded here. And when is the last time we have had guys step up like that? Rasheed and those cats maybe, but certainly not Carmelo. Can you imagine him sticking up to his freaking pal? I'm so sick of Lebron and other stars coming in and having their way and the crowd cheering them. Last night, though a tough loss, feels like a step in the right direction.

And he is someone taking a hard political stand in his home country. And he's averaging like 14 points and 11 rebounds in 25 mins. Not the perfect player I understand. But I want him on my team.

This board is fast becoming a repository for politically correct millennials.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
11/15/2017  1:00 PM
EnySpree wrote:

Peace.

Calling him a princess is sexist? Wth is going on here

Respect Eny, but when Kanter suggested Lebron is a "princess" or "queen" what were his intentions? Was it meant as a compliment?

Of course not. Clearly, it was intended as an insult to generate laughs and "oooohh damnns," as a comeback, but it implies that calling a boy a some type of reference to a girl is an insult.

Therefore, insulting anyone for the way other people identify themselves is messed up because it's like insulting someone for something they cannot control. We also have the power dynamic at play, given that being male is considered "powerful" and a woman "weak" to those with traditional patriarchal ideas of gender, so combine that together and I would say it is quite clearly sexist.

I'll respond to the other poster who tries to argue why the word "princess" is not about being feminine.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
PresIke
USA
11/15/2017  1:04 PM
KnickDanger wrote:Yeah, the 'princess" remark is not 2017 correct and I wouldn't say it but...he said it to Lebron. Ha!

I was thinking too about the Oak comparison. Different skill sets but I agree with the the initial post. Thinking about how Oakley really gave that great Knick group its identity when he was traded here. And when is the last time we have had guys step up like that? Rasheed and those cats maybe, but certainly not Carmelo. Can you imagine him sticking up to his freaking pal? I'm so sick of Lebron and other stars coming in and having their way and the crowd cheering them. Last night, though a tough loss, feels like a step in the right direction.

And he is someone taking a hard political stand in his home country. And he's averaging like 14 points and 11 rebounds in 25 mins. Not the perfect player I understand. But I want him on my team.

It is not abut 2017 correct, as I would have felt this way for years, and I'm pretty darn sure that other people who never said anything out of fear of backlash, especially in male dominant areas, like a sport talk forum, have felt this way before. I can tell you I have, and not just on here. I am also sure I can go back in time and find me commenting on similar statements in the past I found disagreeable and disrespectful to one group or another.

Y'all do see the Forum Po Po label in my sig...no

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

11/15/2017  1:07 PM
knicks1248 wrote:when was the last time you heard this kind of talk from a knickerbocker

http://nypost.com/2017/11/14/enes-kanter-lebron-feud-rolls-on-with-king-dispute/

“I actually was cool with him,’’ Kanter said of James. “Outside of basketball, I’ve got no problems. But I’ve been telling all my teammates, whenever we step on that court, there is no friends, don’t shake nobody’s hand because they’re not going to feel bad for us. Every night it’s a war. Don’t be friendly, Don’t shake nobody’s hand, don’t smile at nobody because those guys are your enemy. Those guys are not your friends. So I just keep talking to my teammates. We’ve got to bring that dirtiness in us.’’

I had my absolute doubts about this guy coming in with his suspect defense, but I don't think im going out on a limb by saying 99% of knick fans did not think they was getting this much heart and soul.

He is turning into the leader we have been missing since KIDD. I should have known this coming from a guy who went against his countries beliefs, and made a grand stand about it.

I don't think trading him is an option

Like his energy! Dont understand why they took him out late in the 4th. You need that type of effort out there when game is on the line.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
PresIke
USA
11/15/2017  1:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/15/2017  1:43 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

Peace.

Why in the world is there a necessity to be politically correct these days? Lighten up Francis-- it was a timely comeback--relax

Firstly, I don't think it's anyone's place to tell someone how they should feel. You're entitled to your feelings, as am I. You can disagree, and that's fine, but respectfully I'd appreciate it if you would not tell me to "relax."

Secondly, this has nothing to do with being politically correct. That's a sophomoric politically charged phrase that says practically nothing subsantial due to ignormance and assumptions about what is behind it that are mostly baseless, and I have had a problem with for years. I make decisions and speak out about things like this based on treating others with respect. I am not perfect, but I try damn hard since it matters to me, and I see how it matters to others and helps in many ways with social emotional development, empathy (which we all want) and general harmony between folks. It bothers me in particular, especially, when the feelings and treatment of marginalized groups who I have also personally committed my life towards addressing professionally and ethically in places where most people won't say a thing for whatever reason are not seen from an empathetic point of view.

So, how in the heck does that make my comments politically correct? You seem to be misinformed about who I am, and I gather others if that is the line you stick to. I hope you are willing to listen to this, and if not, that's on you, but it is never about any kind of doing it just to do it because I think I'm supposed to.

A fairly simple way to approach this situation is asking whether calling a boy a girl is an insult or a compliment?

You can say, "Oh Lebron knows it's no big deal, a joke." but it that were the case then why the heck did he bother to respond to it? He took a fairly high road with his response, which was nice to hear, but even with that, the point is that it uses girls, and the name "princess" as derogatory language, which is rather ironic since there have been powerful princesses, even in pop culture (i.e. Leia) but calling a boy that is definitely intended as emasculating. Ask yourself, if you are a man, if you don't mind being called that. It's also a much more "politically correct" (using the common definition I understand it to be here) way to say the other word that starts with "p" about women that is thrown around as an insult all of the time, and is also wrong (actually I like to flip it as a compliment because women's vaginas get men to do dumb things, are extremely elastic, and so powerful they can also push out babies ).

The message to anyone by calling someone either "P" word to girls, boys, whoever, is that being a women is weak and soft and being a man is not. That's b.s. and patriarchal propaganda aka sexim and there is no other way to put it...sorry.

Would you think it's okay for children (I work with them all day btw, and specifically on this) to insult others surrounding something like this, or adults in any other workplace?

If you say yes, I would be shocked, as these are considered offenses in school or the workplace, as it's not okay to insult people about their identities because it may very well be about just being the group you are using as a joke/insult who often has less power and privilege (access, wealth, opportunity, in positions of power, etc.) in society...i.e. people of color, poor people, women, LGBTQ folks, etc.) when no one can chose how they are born.

PresIke
USA
11/15/2017  1:33 PM
Zebo13 wrote:

Peace.

I’m all about feminism but I took the jab more as an insult to royalty and the image of a bratty princess always having to have her way than an insult to women. Just my two cents.

I hear you but that's like the argument I hear about calling someone "gay" is just calling a person stupid.

Sure, that's what you supposedly mean, but you are using a word that is about the identity of a group who is anywhere near as powerful in society, and is literally at a much higher risk for suicide and murder for this identity than those who are straight, or appear straight. So, when you use that word this way, I think it's difficult to not see how it perpetuates the idea that being gay is a bad thing, regardless of your intention.

I am not one to tell black folks how to speak to one another, but I do know there are plenty in the black community who don't like use of the N word, as friendly for the same reasons. The difference here is I am not black nor do I identify as LGBTQ so maybe I should think about whether it's okay for me to use the label of another marginalized group in a harmful way, even if I am playing, as it might be perpetuating negative feelings from others about the identity (gay) even if I don't mean to.

PresIke
USA
11/15/2017  1:37 PM
arkrud wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:

Peace.

I do not believe in feminism or mascularizm. I believe only in humanism.
Kanter is a great human being and OK bbal player and LeBron is great bbal player and so-so human being.
Oak is cultural symbol not a bbal player any more, Kanter is a Knick but not a symbol yet.
It takes a while to became one.

That's much easier to say when you aren't the group that has to be at risk for all of the negative results of using such language, and other behaviors that perpetuate harm or make it more difficult for said group to improve their lives and not feel scared for being who they are.

This is the definition of privilege, btw, that can be struggle for those who don't engage in this kind of discussion or places where ones consequences are not as clear, particularly surrounding empathy.

PresIke
USA
11/15/2017  1:40 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:

Excuse me, but with all due respect, don't ever talk about me like this because you way off base in your assessment of who I am.

Maybe you should check yourself before you wreck yourself next time, bro.

Check your facts first, then I'd be glad to have a convo.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/15/2017  1:50 PM
PresIke wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:

Peace.

I hear you but that's like the argument I hear about calling someone "gay" is just calling a person stupid.

Sure, that's what you supposedly mean, but you are using a word that is about the identity of a group who is anywhere near as powerful in society, and is literally at a much higher risk for suicide and murder for this identity than those who are straight, or appear straight. So, when you use that word this way, I think it's difficult to not see how it perpetuates the idea that being gay is a bad thing, regardless of your intention.

I am not one to tell black folks how to speak to one another, but I do know there are plenty in the black community who don't like use of the N word, as friendly for the same reasons. The difference here is I am not black nor do I identify as LGBTQ so maybe I should think about whether it's okay for me to use the label of another marginalized group in a harmful way, even if I am playing, as it might be perpetuating negative feelings from others about the identity (gay) even if I don't mean to.

People groups are defined by polite definitions and by offensive definitions. And both used for what they defined.
Haters use the offensive one and all other people use polite once.
Does not mean one cannot use the polite version in hate speech. But usually this is a rarity.
When one used the offensive definition it is pretty much tell us all we need to know about this person.
But obviously it is also a cultural thing.
Saying that man is soft as a woman is offensive, but telling that woman is strong as a man is positive.
So it is very complicated stuff which is different country-by-country and community-by-community and also changes over time.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/15/2017  2:22 PM
PresIke wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Excuse me, but with all due respect, don't ever talk about me like this because you way off base in your assessment of who I am.

Maybe you should check yourself before you wreck yourself next time, bro.

Check your facts first, then I'd be glad to have a convo.

Wreck myself? Bro?? LOL
I didn't even quote your post, maybe you should check what you are responding to?
You either defend political correctness or you don't, is this a nuanced and complicated issue?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
PhilinLA
Member: #696
11/15/2017  2:26 PM
The production we are getting between Kanter and KOQ at the 5 is a huge reason that we're over .500.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
Is kanter the new oak for these knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy