[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Damyean Dodson Has A Better Shot and Basketball Instincts than THJr
Author Thread
teamsport72
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6172

11/12/2017  5:24 PM
You do not trade away brain. I hope they see Doug this way. You can trade Quin, but you don't give up Doug for another fool like Beas.
AUTOADVERT
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

11/12/2017  5:45 PM
misterearl wrote:Please give him more minutes.

Bring Hardaway off the bench. He is not bringing much if his shot is not falling. Sound familiar?

Start Courtney Lee. He and Ntilikina will be an effective pairing in February.

That is all.

Oh god, it's way too early to be saying anything like this about Dotson. Just cause he comes out and has a alright game doesn't make him a better player then THJ. I've been Dotson's biggest fan since we drafted him but he's got some work to do but very excited about his future.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/13/2017  10:22 PM
THJ 28, 10 and 5....
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/14/2017  6:15 AM
Uptown wrote:THJ 28, 10 and 5....

And Dotson 0, 0, and 0 in 13 min.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/14/2017  9:24 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:

I read that stat line last night and thought it was a misprint. 13 minutes? Was it really 3?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/14/2017  9:25 AM
He's a good player. How Earl can say the guy isnt doing anything if he's not shooting really says he's hasnt watched much Knicks this year. At all.

What I see with Tim is interesting. He's got a very good motor. He's incredibly active all the time and he's always trying to make a good play. That could be setting a screen, making a pass, going for a steal, boxing out. He's really always looking to do something good. That sometimes translates into spazzy play, over playing on defense and some suspect shot selection. However most of the time it translates to good play and he's really helped this year. He's also been great late in games.

I dont know if THjr is a big part of the future, but he's played well and is a big part of the good start. Most of the people here picked the Knicks win total to be in the 25-30 range. Worst case is THjr is a stop gap transition type guy that helps us go from lottery to playoffs. Maybe the next guy helps us go from playoffs to final 4, but for now Timmy is doing what he was brought in for. He's been fine here.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/14/2017  9:33 AM
fishmike wrote:
He's a good player. How Earl can say the guy isnt doing anything if he's not shooting really says he's hasnt watched much Knicks this year. At all.

What I see with Tim is interesting. He's got a very good motor. He's incredibly active all the time and he's always trying to make a good play. That could be setting a screen, making a pass, going for a steal, boxing out. He's really always looking to do something good. That sometimes translates into spazzy play, over playing on defense and some suspect shot selection. However most of the time it translates to good play and he's really helped this year. He's also been great late in games.

I dont know if THjr is a big part of the future, but he's played well and is a big part of the good start. Most of the people here picked the Knicks win total to be in the 25-30 range. Worst case is THjr is a stop gap transition type guy that helps us go from lottery to playoffs. Maybe the next guy helps us go from playoffs to final 4, but for now Timmy is doing what he was brought in for. He's been fine here.

2 perspectives:

- He's doing really well on a team that is gelling and starting to win games. He can put up stats and play that will positively effect team.

- Do you seem him as a starting SG on a deep playoff team?

I start with the second and I can't answer Yes, even with a little projection. 6th man? Yes. Starter, no.

Even is the most minuscule of sample sizes, I see Dotson as a dead-eye shooter, plus rebounder and excellent team and individual defender.

Time will tell.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bonn1997
USA
11/14/2017  9:43 AM
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

I read that stat line last night and thought it was a misprint. 13 minutes? Was it really 3?

Not sure. I fell asleep on the couch a little after half time. I guess I'm getting old.
fishmike
USA
11/14/2017  10:18 AM
martin wrote:
fishmike wrote:

2 perspectives:

- He's doing really well on a team that is gelling and starting to win games. He can put up stats and play that will positively effect team.

I start with the second and I can't answer Yes, even with a little projection. 6th man? Yes. Starter, no.

Even is the most minuscule of sample sizes, I see Dotson as a dead-eye shooter, plus rebounder and excellent team and individual defender.

Time will tell.

Starting SG on a deep playoff team... I mean a month ago what you say if I said the Knicks were 7-6, KP was dropping 30 a night, busting their asses on D and had wins vs. Cavs, Nugs, Pacers and Hornets? Hard to envision but thats what makes it fun.

I dont see THjr as that started either. We need to see a lot more of Dotson before I can even pretend he's the one. Thats ok also. Its good, because what you WANT is to see Dotson or another young guy WIN THAT JOB from THjr by playing better. Thats the progression. Thats how you grow. Team dont just throw a magical core together and start winning titles. Parts are acquired and developed over time.

Fans need perspective. Knicks need to be a good team first. You need to see these players like you saw them last night. For 50 games. For a playoff series. Timmy makes us better. If Dotson overtakes him (dont see that for a few years) thats a great thing. Keep drafting, keep developing these guys and focus on winning these games.

We have learned a lot more about these guys at 7-6 than we would at 2-12.

blkexec
Member: #748
11/14/2017  10:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/14/2017  10:29 AM
THJ should be making Korver money off the bench.....as a streaky momentum impact player. But his current style of play is similar to korver role. But since he's paid like a starter he's forced into a starters role.

The only advantage THJ has over melo is age. But we got rid of one gunner for another gunner. We don't need volume shooters......we need high IQ 2way players like Dotson. At a reasonable price.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
fishmike
USA
11/14/2017  10:38 AM
blkexec wrote:THJ should be making Korver money off the bench.....as a streaky momentum impact player. But his current style of play is similar to korver role. But since he's paid like a starter he's forced into a starters role.

The only advantage THJ has over melo is age. But we got rid of one gunner for another gunner. We don't need volume shooters......we need high IQ 2way players like Dotson. At a reasonable price.

THj is certainly a gunner. Does he also play defense? Move the ball? Get steals? Rebound? Korver is a pure shooter who has turned that into a great niche. He's a great weapon to have. We saw it with Novak. THjr is doing a lot more than gunning though
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/14/2017  10:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/14/2017  10:46 AM
Until THJ plays his natural position, this talk seems premature. I have no problem with Hardaway's progress to this point. He's showing a more well rounded game this time. I believe moving him back to the 2 will pay dividends, eventually.

If there is anyone Id like to see as a 6th man, thats Lee because of his age. Makes more sense IMO to bring him off the bench, reduce his minutes slightly, in case the Knicks can make the playoffs. This late collapse to a contender aside, this still looks like a playoff team to me.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
11/14/2017  12:29 PM
Thjr has stepped up in the games when KP has been down.

He needs to be more consistent. That comes with taking the ball to the rim more. He is doing well. He is growing along with his teammates.

Chandler
Member: #6197

11/14/2017  12:40 PM
martin wrote:
fishmike wrote:

2 perspectives:

Time will tell.

I have actually been happy with Timmy, and think he can be a starter in a deep playoff team

He has been rebounding, driving (drawing fouls), and bringing energy. He's also a bit of a sore loser but in a good way -- meaning he'll compete the full 48 min and demand that from teammates (it still irks me when I see knicks being all smiley faced after a loss; should take at least 30 minutes to an hour before you become civil again)

as the team gets better, I think he will too. He seems like the guy who can be most effective if ignored by the other team (which will happen as we develop more options) and when he gets going he's hard to stop

agree re Dotson. eager to see him play more

(5)(5)
Chandler

11/14/2017  12:48 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Thjr has stepped up in the games when KP has been down.

He needs to be more consistent. That comes with taking the ball to the rim more. He is doing well. He is growing along with his teammates.

agree 100%. I like that THJ is doing that more. it's not only great for efficiency purposes but if you're effective at it (including drawing fouls) it softens the D as the game goes on. It also puts the other team in the penalty sooner, etc. etc.

Everyone loves 3 point swishes, but when you consider Lebron, Harden, Wade, Durant etc -- they get to the line and that pays big dividends over the course of the game

(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/14/2017  2:00 PM
THjr is the starter on a team that is doing well given where we where.
He should be given credit. Its not always apparent in the box.
He makes avg. SG money. Not terrible. Likely that ranking will fall. Thus he could be a bargain.
Last nite he played a bit of PG at times. Last nite he took a charge and got his ass knocked. He is bringing energy. Sometimes its negative but:

Does a 25 year old player stay frozen in talent, mental approach, and maturity? sometimes that's what his detractors are saying.
This kid made a big jump last year. Not thinking he is all star talent but he is not paid all star money either. When frank starts to shot or penetrate more he'll get some better looks.

If and when Dodson is better, then he can replace him.

fishmike
USA
11/14/2017  3:09 PM
Chandler wrote:
martin wrote:
fishmike wrote:

2 perspectives:

Time will tell.

I have actually been happy with Timmy, and think he can be a starter in a deep playoff team

He has been rebounding, driving (drawing fouls), and bringing energy. He's also a bit of a sore loser but in a good way -- meaning he'll compete the full 48 min and demand that from teammates (it still irks me when I see knicks being all smiley faced after a loss; should take at least 30 minutes to an hour before you become civil again)

as the team gets better, I think he will too. He seems like the guy who can be most effective if ignored by the other team (which will happen as we develop more options) and when he gets going he's hard to stop

agree re Dotson. eager to see him play more

Timmy has to shoot better. He jacks too many shots that just dont go in. Thats the only real shortcoming I have seen so far.
fishmike
USA
11/16/2017  9:23 AM
Last night... 26points on 7-15 shooting. 6 rebs, 6 assists and 1 TO... but Timmy isnt doing much when he's not shooting. Cmon... Timmy has been really good. He's at 18/4/3 after that dreadful start, is playing good D, moves the ball and continues to hit big shots in the 4th qtr.

He is absolutely playing at the level of his contract. The only questionable thing he does is sometimes shoot too quickly. He really wants to hit big shots and has something to prove. It def impairs his shot selection. I would say you can count on 2-3 shots a game that you just want to face palm. The rest of the time? The guy is balling. I took a wait and see on this contract. I understand the criticisms and potential cap implications. The other side is we got a 25 year old player who is helping us win games and playing the exact style we want to play. Push the tempo, play defense, move the ball. Timmy has been great. This is looking like a good signing from Mills

Chandler

11/16/2017  9:32 AM
I expect his shooting to improve. Jeff will keep on him to
Square up more Consistently

He’s our best transition wing for Jeff’s run it up game. He flies

I was never down on the guy the 1st time around. Having said that, it certainly looks like the Atlanta gig helped him all around and o treasure the opportunity

(5)(5)
Bonn1997
USA
11/16/2017  9:43 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/16/2017  9:43 AM
fishmike wrote:Last night... 26points on 7-15 shooting. 6 rebs, 6 assists and 1 TO... but Timmy isnt doing much when he's not shooting. Cmon... Timmy has been really good. He's at 18/4/3 after that dreadful start, is playing good D, moves the ball and continues to hit big shots in the 4th qtr.

He is absolutely playing at the level of his contract. The only questionable thing he does is sometimes shoot too quickly. He really wants to hit big shots and has something to prove. It def impairs his shot selection. I would say you can count on 2-3 shots a game that you just want to face palm. The rest of the time? The guy is balling. I took a wait and see on this contract. I understand the criticisms and potential cap implications. The other side is we got a 25 year old player who is helping us win games and playing the exact style we want to play. Push the tempo, play defense, move the ball. Timmy has been great. This is looking like a good signing from Mills

Yeah, he's still taking occasional bad shots but he's playing pretty well. That one play where he tried to do a layup and it hit the out of bounds part of the backboard was funny since we got 3 free points.
Damyean Dodson Has A Better Shot and Basketball Instincts than THJr

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy