[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OKC v NYK: night and day
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/9/2017  1:25 PM
nixluva wrote:Really don’t care if OKC ever figures things out. This was a desperation move in a stacked Conference that I suppose they had to take. The Arms Race our West is insane.

Meanwhile the direction the Knicks took was the right approach for the franchise. It doesn’t matter if the Knicks sustain this success or not. What matters is the Effort and Growth. This team needed to play this out so they can evaluate the young talent and assess what they need to add to this roster to improve. This has been valuable information already. It’s a clear WIN for the Knicks.

Think the formula has been been becoming clear. Need a bruiser next to KP. If its Kanter or Willy etc. Takes the pressure off of KP. We have our defensive pass first PG of the future in Frank. Will need a speedy instant offense type as his compliment down the road. Need a big athletic forward basically do what Lance has been giving us these last couple of games. But a bigger more athletic version that will eat off the pressure Frank and KP provide defensively. Being able to cover ground and close passing lanes as Frank uses his length to disrupt. While also being able to slide over to the 4 when we need to change it up with KP at the 5 if the match up/situation call 4 it.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
11/9/2017  1:43 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
nixluva wrote:Really don’t care if OKC ever figures things out. This was a desperation move in a stacked Conference that I suppose they had to take. The Arms Race our West is insane.

Meanwhile the direction the Knicks took was the right approach for the franchise. It doesn’t matter if the Knicks sustain this success or not. What matters is the Effort and Growth. This team needed to play this out so they can evaluate the young talent and assess what they need to add to this roster to improve. This has been valuable information already. It’s a clear WIN for the Knicks.

Think the formula has been been becoming clear. Need a bruiser next to KP. If its Kanter or Willy etc. Takes the pressure off of KP. We have our defensive pass first PG of the future in Frank. Will need a speedy instant offense type as his compliment down the road. Need a big athletic forward basically do what Lance has been giving us these last couple of games. But a bigger more athletic version that will eat off the pressure Frank and KP provide defensively. Being able to cover ground and close passing lanes as Frank uses his length to disrupt. While also being able to slide over to the 4 when we need to change it up with KP at the 5 if the match up/situation call 4 it.

I agree with this. That’s why I’m so pleased with how this season has started. We already learned so much.

newyorknewyork
11/9/2017  2:23 PM
nixluva wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

I agree with this. That’s why I’m so pleased with how this season has started. We already learned so much.

We have gone the complete opposite direction from Rose and Jennings at the PG position with Jack and Frank. Rose basically turned into Hardaway Jr given his cap space was used to acquire him plus we got Dotson with the pick from the trade for Rose. Carmelo was flipped into Kanter & Dougie who are giving us 22pts-13rebs on like 60% shooting 85%ft. Sliding into important roles in the process. With Kanter getting his without getting much plays called for him but based mostly off of doing lunch pale work. And Dougie getting his by constantly moving away from the ball making it tough on defenses inside and out. The fact that they don't need a ton of usage makes a huge difference. These are huge differences to what was being produced for the Knicks last yr.

The main dish though is that KP is getting first option touches now and he is making quick decisions and is appearing unarguable. With a 60 TS% on 21.5 attempts, 7.3 FTs per game. Not even counting his defensive impact.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/9/2017  2:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/9/2017  2:51 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
nixluva wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

We have gone the complete opposite direction from Rose and Jennings at the PG position with Jack and Frank. Rose basically turned into Hardaway Jr given his cap space was used to acquire him plus we got Dotson with the pick from the trade for Rose. Carmelo was flipped into Kanter & Dougie who are giving us 22pts-13rebs on like 60% shooting 85%ft. Sliding into important roles in the process. With Kanter getting his without getting much plays called for him but based mostly off of doing lunch pale work. And Dougie getting his by constantly moving away from the ball making it tough on defenses inside and out. The fact that they don't need a ton of usage makes a huge difference. These are huge differences to what was being produced for the Knicks last yr.

The main dish though is that KP is getting first option touches now and he is making quick decisions and is appearing unarguable. With a 60 TS% on 21.5 attempts, 7.3 FTs per game. Not even counting his defensive impact.

this is why I thought we would be decent. I only picked us to win 5-8 more wins than last year. I Think I said 35-39 range with the thought that we win 5 more games (a clear uptick) but not enough for playoffs. I totally agree with the above and I thought THj would offset losing Rose/Melo's offense and that the other guys playing defense would balance the loss. I got tired of hearing from genius posters like 1248 how TH, Kanter, McD and Sessions were all terrible defenders etc etc... but what you are really seeing is you dont need great defenders. A few sure... but the rest of the guys just need to play hard. Melo and Rose were first and 4th in minutes played last year. Both were uncoachable on defense, one held the ball and the other had tunnel vision. Melo has too many fans still here to talk about what a drain his presence was but the bottom line is every new game, even losses like last night plainly show how much those guys sucked the life out of this clubhouse.

Knicks havent accomplished much, but they have purged that dark cloud and they are all feeling it. We still need high impact talent. Whether that comes from within, draft, FA, trade... I dont know. We still need more help but this part of the process is a lot more enjoyable now.

Best thing Phil did for us was get us KP, Willy and Frank. Hopefully Frank, Doston and Willy all turn out to be to studs. Best think Melo ever did for us was get rid of Phil. Two perfect turds for each other. Flush!

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/9/2017  4:04 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

I agree. Rolo suited Kanter's role well also.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/9/2017  4:09 PM
Cedi Osman would be perfect for us
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/9/2017  4:57 PM
nixluva wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

IDK if "Bruiser" is the right word for a player who doesnt play enough D. Would you be comfortable re-signing Willy if his defense doesnt get much better than we've seen? Hard to build a defensive identity with one-way players, if that ends up being an apt description of Willy's game.

newyorknewyork
11/9/2017  5:12 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Good point. Which begs the question. Can we plug in Noah and Willy in the roles Kanter and KOQ play. With Willy being more like Kanter and Noah being more like KOQ in terms of skill set and role. This would free up some money for other needs?

Or do we have to spend money to secure these roles with Kanter and KOQ.

newyorknewyork
11/9/2017  5:23 PM
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
nixluva wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

this is why I thought we would be decent. I only picked us to win 5-8 more wins than last year. I Think I said 35-39 range with the thought that we win 5 more games (a clear uptick) but not enough for playoffs. I totally agree with the above and I thought THj would offset losing Rose/Melo's offense and that the other guys playing defense would balance the loss. I got tired of hearing from genius posters like 1248 how TH, Kanter, McD and Sessions were all terrible defenders etc etc... but what you are really seeing is you dont need great defenders. A few sure... but the rest of the guys just need to play hard. Melo and Rose were first and 4th in minutes played last year. Both were uncoachable on defense, one held the ball and the other had tunnel vision. Melo has too many fans still here to talk about what a drain his presence was but the bottom line is every new game, even losses like last night plainly show how much those guys sucked the life out of this clubhouse.

Knicks havent accomplished much, but they have purged that dark cloud and they are all feeling it. We still need high impact talent. Whether that comes from within, draft, FA, trade... I dont know. We still need more help but this part of the process is a lot more enjoyable now.

Best thing Phil did for us was get us KP, Willy and Frank. Hopefully Frank, Doston and Willy all turn out to be to studs. Best think Melo ever did for us was get rid of Phil. Two perfect turds for each other. Flush!

I didn't expect these pieces to fit like this truthfully. Thought it would be a sloppy transition year. The fact that these are all high character guys fighting for mins through competition is making it happen. This is the culture every player brought in should have to fall in line with. We need to maintain this type of environment.

CrushAlot
USA
11/9/2017  5:29 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Good point. Which begs the question. Can we plug in Noah and Willy in the roles Kanter and KOQ play. With Willy being more like Kanter and Noah being more like KOQ in terms of skill set and role. This would free up some money for other needs?

Or do we have to spend money to secure these roles with Kanter and KOQ.

Hard to say what Noah can be and for how long. I don't think he can be what Kanter is at this point. I also don't know if that same energy and fierceness that KOQ brings to the second unit is there with Noah. His complete lack of an offensive game makes it pretty hard for him to be on the court.
fishmike
USA
11/9/2017  7:01 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
nixluva wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

I didn't expect these pieces to fit like this truthfully. Thought it would be a sloppy transition year. The fact that these are all high character guys fighting for mins through competition is making it happen. This is the culture every player brought in should have to fall in line with. We need to maintain this type of environment.

Its easy. If KP is healthy its here. Every coach wants their team to play great D. It starts with the players. When Dantoni had a bunch of great defensive players like Marion, Boris Diaw and Raja Bell guess what? The team played good D.

With KP leading there and a coach whos going to pull you if the effort is not there you got what you need. At the first part. We have no idea what kind of leader KP is. Everyone loves Lebron's leadership right? Well look at Boston and how happy Kyrie is to be away from him. Maybe KP is an a-hole. Maybe he's great. Maybe Jeff is. All this is TBD and thats OK. The hardest part is the first part, and we have that. A star on the floor that emphasizes defense, and will be in a position to demand it.

Again... incredibly small sample size but so far so good. We saw KP tell Timmy to slow it down.. to chill.. and it was well received. This all part of the growing process but the key part took quantum leap (thank you Clyde) this year

fishmike
USA
11/9/2017  7:03 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
nixluva wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Me either. I said I would not be suprised if we made the playoffs. I also said I, or anyone would be foolish to predict such as the Knicks had done nothing to deserve such a prediction.

Hey... wheels could come off but I dont think so. I think even if KP were to get hurt they would still play this way. Just win a ton less. I think even after 10 games KP set the tone. Stay healthy kid!

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/9/2017  7:29 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Cedi Osman would be perfect for us

How do we make the Cavs give him up? I think we demand he nets pick in any trade and settle for Osman

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
OjilEye
Member: #3017
USA
11/10/2017  12:23 AM
Melo just passed Iverson to move to 24th on the all-time scoring list.

"I think I actually fell in love with it," Anthony said earlier this season of his natural scoring ability. "I love to score the ball. You got to love it. And I think from that, you start working on it, different ways to score the ball, adding to your game, but it's a fun thing to score the basketball."

He's a talent sure, but he's clearly prioritized his love for scoring over winning... hence, why he never had a shot at being the best player on a championship-worthy team, let alone bring the Knicks to success

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

11/10/2017  5:33 AM
OjilEye wrote:Melo just passed Iverson to move to 24th on the all-time scoring list.

"I think I actually fell in love with it," Anthony said earlier this season of his natural scoring ability. "I love to score the ball. You got to love it. And I think from that, you start working on it, different ways to score the ball, adding to your game, but it's a fun thing to score the basketball."

He's a talent sure, but he's clearly prioritized his love for scoring over winning... hence, why he never had a shot at being the best player on a championship-worthy team, let alone bring the Knicks to success

Melo has never worked on his game. Never. He was always naturally "offensively complete"

It is and might always be one of the rarest natural gifts in the NBA. The guy can score from anywhere, in any format, and in his prime, against anyone. As a pure one versus one isolation player, he could light anyone up in his prime. Inside, outside, transition, back to basket, catch and shoot, floater, off the glass, finger roll, left hand, right hand, sky hook, long range, underhand like Rick Barry if it came to it. Just a raw offensive force.

Which makes it all the more sad, and pathetic. It would have taken very little to just work on the other elements to his game, like defense and passing and team work. He just didn't care.

He's not a poor man's Randy Moss, but a homeless man's Randy Moss ( i.e. A player riding his natural talents without any regard for his team or actual pursuit of excellence, just a pure coaster on raw overwhelming talent. I've been around Moss a few times and he's just insufferable. Melo though was never that raw of a talent compared to Moss )

When Melo is criticized in public, most of his "fans", don't seem to realize that it is an acknowledgement of his raw potential, or was, that he could have easily been a more complete player. Many players CAN'T be more, they don't have the talent base, Melo just didn't care. The "But he's a good guy" narrative is also pretty pathetic. Can't or won't do the job, you will get got. Lot's of "good guys" out there don't make it. This is not just a pro sports concept, but a life one. Being Officer Friendly doesn't factor into the bottom line of winning. At least he's not a criminal like Kobe. If that's the best anyone can say about him, that's really a sad indictment of him as an NBA player.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/10/2017  7:03 AM
As much as I've given Sam Presti credit-- and certainly he deserves a lot-- I think he botched these two trades horribly. The concept is in line with some teams success but this is more kg to the Nets than anything else. They stand pat with Sabonis kanter McDermott oldapido someone else good I can think of and their pick?
RIP Crushalot😞
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

11/10/2017  7:03 AM
I knew Melo and Rose were a problem, but not to the extent that has proven to be the case.
They really kill team chemistry and ball movement.

Melo and Rose can only function as the main go to scorer. If you build the team with parts around them, and the other pieces all about making shots around them and defenders, it can work. However ask them to team up or play within a highly talented team and it doesn't work. They played horrible off each other last year and are not functioning well with other stars this year on other teams.

stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

11/10/2017  7:57 AM
OjilEye wrote:Melo just passed Iverson to move to 24th on the all-time scoring list.

Fitting that on the night he achieves this, his team loses. Perfect symbol and summary of his career.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
CrushAlot
USA
11/10/2017  10:18 AM
stanleybostitch wrote:

Fitting that on the night he achieves this, his team loses. Perfect symbol and summary of his career.

Melo looked good last night. Also Okc plays good d. That Denver team looked really good. Milsap was the perfect signing for that team. Jokic is amazing and played that way last night. Mudiay played very well. He is still only 21. I am definitely going to try to watch the Nuggets when I get a chance.
blkexec
Member: #748
11/10/2017  10:38 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
nixluva wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Well, I have a lot of experience playing and building championship teams. And once we removed Melo and Phil.....then add solid players at center and several 2 way guards, I knew we would surprise most people. I think THJ and Noah are hurting our salary cap and we are not getting back the same investment. THJ is way over paid and Dotson would've brought the same stats under the same minutes at a fraction of the cost.

But I'm not surprised at all. Even playing Jack over Sessions doesn't surprise me. Starting Sessions was the biggest surprise. You have Kanter in the paint, KP in the paint.....Why start a guard that also like to get in the paint, cause of his lack of shooting confidence.

What I thought would be the Achilles heel is KPs health. Which is why you want multiple stars on your team. But learn from OKC, they still have to fit next to each other. Kenny Smith said it perfect, OKC needs more players like Dougie, and non of their All Star players are catch and shoot.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
OKC v NYK: night and day

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy