[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Might have to consider KOQ/Kanter long term
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/4/2017  9:19 AM
I like this combo next to KP. I dont want KP banging against 5s. Same reason you dont want Dirk at center. 24 minutes each is really kind of perfect. They both go full speed for 24 minutes a night. They both bring very different things, but both are a huge physical presence. Kanter doesnt protect the rim. He's ok m2m and brutal on help. He's also fearless, tries really hard and has a great motor for about 25 minutes and absolutely kills it on the glass. Kanter wears you down. Guys like Kanter are horrible to play against. You saw it get chippy last night. KOQ blocks shots, has nice range on his jumper and is a fantastic passer. He's great at finding cutting guards.

We get to have a nice long look, but so far I think this is exactly the bigman rotation I would like to see. KP exclusively at the 4 next to a center. I am a huge Willy fan but if there is a long athletic wing that defends I am looking hard. Not sure Im sold on Harkless. I value Willy more than that. I am open though.

I also think both Kanter and KOQ would be open to staying long tern without breaking the bank. KOQ is home, and technically so is Kanter as he cant go back to his. I think they could get bigger deals on the open market but maybe 4 years $50mm for KOQ and keep Kanter about where he is.. thats about $30mm for your center spot which is reasonable in this CBA especially when you consider KOQ and Kanter's production

20ppg, 17rebs, 2.3 blocks, 3assists and shooting almost 60% combined

You still have Noah for injuries, etc... maybe you see a little KOQ at the 4. Not ideal but there may be nights. Point is Noah expires when you gotta pay KP so there is a bit of fluidity there.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/4/2017  9:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/4/2017  9:28 AM
The 2-headed monster @ the center spot gives us an advantage vs. most teams 5's. When was the last time we could say that? KP, Kant and KOQ compliment each other very well, but I would not bank on us getting any home town discounts from KOQ and Kant. With Willie waiting in the wings, Noah and his contract is the problem as he is not needed.

If you include Noah, I'm concerned with tying up so much money at the center spot when he still need to fill valuable money spots at the 1 and 3....

newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

11/4/2017  10:35 AM
I'm still waiting for everyone to stop saying E.Kanter doesn't play defense. The kid does play defense, now his one on one defense isn't as good as his help/team defense but he gives the effort when he's going one on one.

Now about KOQ....this dude has gotten better every single year he's been with us and he's now a legit backup center and think he could even get away with being a starter depending on the team. The energy he brings along with his rebounding, passing, put backs and shot blocking has been great for us.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/4/2017  10:37 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:I'm still waiting for everyone to stop saying E.Kanter doesn't play defense. The kid does play defense, now his one on one defense isn't as good as his help/team defense but he gives the effort when he's going one on one.

Now about KOQ....this dude has gotten better every single year he's been with us and he's now a legit backup center and think he could even get away with being a starter depending on the team. The energy he brings along with his rebounding, passing, put backs and shot blocking has been great for us.

Well said and great point about Kanter's defense. The guy works hard on both ends of the court.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/4/2017  10:55 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:I'm still waiting for everyone to stop saying E.Kanter doesn't play defense. The kid does play defense, now his one on one defense isn't as good as his help/team defense but he gives the effort when he's going one on one.

Well said and great point about Kanter's defense. The guy works hard on both ends of the court.

He sprints up court quite a bit.

RIP Crushalot😞
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/4/2017  11:04 AM
They are both performing very well from an analytics stand point as well. They both produce without plays called for them. They offer quality per min production in pts and rebs. With KOQ he also adds blocks and ast without needing big mins to produce. And they both hit their free throws. They are ideal role players. High WS, high efficiency, quality per min production.

The issue is having Noah at 18 mil per and Willy in the wings. Would KP feel some type of way if Willy was moved? We would have to gauge if its better just to stretch Noah in the off season for the sake of balance and cohesion. Use our 2 draft picks to fill in the holes at Forward and Speedy PG to develop within the rotation as Jacks age catches up to him.

I like Dougie as well as a staple off the bench. Efficient, high IQ role player. Get a long athletic freak point forward in front of him as the perfect compliment.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

11/4/2017  11:51 AM
I love the Kanter-KOQ duo. Given that perfection why not work Willie in as KP’s backup - give him all of Beasley’s minutes. Taller, younger, much more upside. And makes KP happy.
The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/4/2017  12:05 PM
If Noah comes back and plays with the same amount of energy (and we all know he's on a mission to prove himself)there's going to be a problem.

I still think we need to be able to put a faster more athletic unit on the floor at times, and more 3 point shooters. So i think a trade is a strong possibility at some point.

ES
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

11/4/2017  12:09 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He sprints up court quite a bit.

Actually...if you look at the KP block and dunk play...Kanter was back on D keeping Jackson from going directly to the basket-giving KP an angle and opportunity for the block, AND Kanter beat KP down the court and probably should have gotten the pass from Jack for a more pedestrian finish than KP's.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

11/4/2017  12:13 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

As some have said he has trouble on the pick and roll...Hornacek took him out vs Jokic because of this...no?

But I've also seen a lot of effort on his part on the defensive end.

Is it the weight loss? You do see him knocked around a little more because he's not as big as he was last year, but he is definitely more active on D than I remember him being with OKC.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/4/2017  12:15 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Banter definitely has improved his defense. It coincides with his great conditioning. He has a few defensive lapses that are very noticeable, but it shouldn't overshadow his otherwise improved defense.

As for O'Quinn, I still believe he will be moved sooner rather than later. He seems like the ideal backup center for a playoff team like Cleveland, Boston, OKC, GS etc. So many teams can use this guy this season. He has been a revelation here, but i have to think the front office is going to want Willy handling backup center duties at some point. Kanter and Willy can be a strong center duo long-term just as much as Kanter/O'Quinn.

WaltLongmire

11/4/2017  12:23 PM
Knixkik wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Banter definitely has improved his defense. It coincides with his great conditioning. He has a few defensive lapses that are very noticeable, but it shouldn't overshadow his otherwise improved defense.

As for O'Quinn, I still believe he will be moved sooner rather than later. He seems like the ideal backup center for a playoff team like Cleveland, Boston, OKC, GS etc. So many teams can use this guy this season. He has been a revelation here, but i have to think the front office is going to want Willy handling backup center duties at some point. Kanter and Willy can be a strong center duo long-term just as much as Kanter/O'Quinn.

As some have pointed out...KOQ has a player option next season. Unless he loves the playing in his home town beyond belief, he will want more money...and he should want it, since it will be his last chance for big $$ as a player, and I don't think his value can ever be greater.

Have to believe that he is gone before the trading deadline. He's become a solid player after that mediocre first year for us, and you have to think there are some borderline or better teams who can use a decent big man for their playoff run.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/4/2017  12:43 PM
fishmike wrote:I like this combo next to KP. I dont want KP banging against 5s. Same reason you dont want Dirk at center. 24 minutes each is really kind of perfect. They both go full speed for 24 minutes a night. They both bring very different things, but both are a huge physical presence. Kanter doesnt protect the rim. He's ok m2m and brutal on help. He's also fearless, tries really hard and has a great motor for about 25 minutes and absolutely kills it on the glass. Kanter wears you down. Guys like Kanter are horrible to play against. You saw it get chippy last night. KOQ blocks shots, has nice range on his jumper and is a fantastic passer. He's great at finding cutting guards.

We get to have a nice long look, but so far I think this is exactly the bigman rotation I would like to see. KP exclusively at the 4 next to a center. I am a huge Willy fan but if there is a long athletic wing that defends I am looking hard. Not sure Im sold on Harkless. I value Willy more than that. I am open though.

I also think both Kanter and KOQ would be open to staying long tern without breaking the bank. KOQ is home, and technically so is Kanter as he cant go back to his. I think they could get bigger deals on the open market but maybe 4 years $50mm for KOQ and keep Kanter about where he is.. thats about $30mm for your center spot which is reasonable in this CBA especially when you consider KOQ and Kanter's production

You still have Noah for injuries, etc... maybe you see a little KOQ at the 4. Not ideal but there may be nights. Point is Noah expires when you gotta pay KP so there is a bit of fluidity there.

If there is a way to package Willy and our pick, for a high draft pick, put us in the running for a player like Doncic, I hope the Knicks go for it.

Willy still has that new car smell, so to speak. He has that Rookie first team award. I would sell Willy as recent draft pick who has only scratched the surface. One or two high picks in the next draft (depending on where we finish) might give us the young talent to challenge a team like The Sixers in the coming years. Look at that squad, and their age.

I was very much against doing something like this last season, because this team had little talent to surround KP with for the long term. That's not the case anymore, although the Knicks have more work to do.

Would rather see Perry give it a try, instead of acquiring another role player, who might not move the needle all that much.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/4/2017  12:52 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:I like this combo next to KP. I dont want KP banging against 5s. Same reason you dont want Dirk at center. 24 minutes each is really kind of perfect. They both go full speed for 24 minutes a night. They both bring very different things, but both are a huge physical presence. Kanter doesnt protect the rim. He's ok m2m and brutal on help. He's also fearless, tries really hard and has a great motor for about 25 minutes and absolutely kills it on the glass. Kanter wears you down. Guys like Kanter are horrible to play against. You saw it get chippy last night. KOQ blocks shots, has nice range on his jumper and is a fantastic passer. He's great at finding cutting guards.

If there is a way to package Willy and our pick, for a high draft pick, put us in the running for a player like Doncic, I hope the Knicks go for it.

Willy still has that new car smell, so to speak. He has that Rookie first team award. I would sell Willy as recent draft pick who has only scratched the surface. One or two high picks in the next draft (depending on where we finish) might give us the young talent to challenge a team like The Sixers in the coming years. Look at that squad, and their age.

I was very much against doing something like this last season, because this team had little talent to surround KP with for the long term. That's not the case anymore, although the Knicks have more work to do.

Would rather see Perry give it a try, instead of acquiring another role player, who might not move the needle all that much.

Willy is the odd man out and he also has the highest trade value of all our bigs. He has two cost-controlled years after this one though. And he is a good player. That means we have to get something quite good for him.
GustavBahler

11/4/2017  1:05 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Willy is the odd man out and he also has the highest trade value of all our bigs. He has two cost-controlled years after this one though. And he is a good player. That means we have to get something quite good for him.

Unless its a two-way SF who can start for the next few years, or a playoff caliber PG, who still has plenty left in the tank. Id rather use Willy to improve our position in the draft. I get the feeling that Willy gives us the best chance to trade for a high pick, that we will get for a while. We should start making the playoffs more regularly in the coming years, more than now I hope. I say go for it.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

11/4/2017  1:09 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Unless its a two-way SF who can start for the next few years, or a playoff caliber PG, who still has plenty left in the tank. Id rather use Willy to improve our position in the draft. I get the feeling that Willy gives us the best chance to trade for a high pick, that we will get for a while. We should start making the playoffs more regularly in the coming years, more than now I hope. I say go for it.

i admit im very hesitant to trade willy because im convinced he will be a good player on a team friendly contract. However if we can somehow get a high first round pick for him then i would definetly pull the trigger so i agree with you
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/4/2017  1:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/4/2017  1:12 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Nobody is giving up what until the actual lotttery would be a potential first for hernangomez, and that's no knock on him.

knicks1248
Member: #582
11/4/2017  1:17 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Well judging from the fact that they didn't get hose on the melo trade, and they didn't cave in to get bledsoe or irving. I don't think willy is going any where this season

ES
GustavBahler

11/4/2017  1:58 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Well judging from the fact that they didn't get hose on the melo trade, and they didn't cave in to get bledsoe or irving. I don't think willy is going any where this season

Could be the offseason. Willy's numbers as a rookie were good enough to give an offer some weight. Depending on where we fall in the draft. I hope its a consideration, if Kanter is going to be here long term. Doubt Willy wants to be a bench player long term.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

11/4/2017  2:02 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

yeah perry pretty much said he has no interest in trading willy unless we get blown away from a trade offer. Problem is that his value is not high because he has barely played. Basically teams would try to rip us off and Perry understands this so i agree willy wont be going anywhere. Im pretty sure oquinn will be trades and kanter will probably opt out
Might have to consider KOQ/Kanter long term

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy