[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

KP's brother stirs the pot yet again
Author Thread
SupremeCommander
Posts: 31791
Alba Posts: 35
Joined: 4/28/2006
Member: #1127

11/2/2017  3:47 PM
Porzingis' brother says money doesn't guarantee Knicks' extension

The brother of New York Knick's forward Kristaps Porzingis, Janis Porzingis, suggested in an interview published by a Latvian news organization that Porzingis will not sign an extension with the Knicks solely because the organization can offer him the most money.

"The most important question here is this: What do you really want to achieve in your career?" Janis Porzingis said in an interview in Latvian with Sportacentrs, according to a translation by Eurohoops.net. "Because money - if Kristaps performs at least on his normal level, is gonna come. We are more focused on some other values and not just to quickly sign a new contract so we can collect the money. That's definitely not our goal, so we won't be feverishly counting minutes or counting points. You can't escape the reality and the Knicks must also see that.

"From their point of view, Kristaps is the focal point at the moment so you cannot upset him much or otherwise, at the end of the season, he will say 'it's not so cool here.' The second question is: Who is the New York audience coming to watch now? To a large extent, it's Kristaps. So the organization has to take that into account."

Porzingis is eligible to sign a five-year rookie extension starting this summer that is worth between 25 and 30 percent of the salary cap (worth between a projected $157 million and 188 million in total). If he wanted to become an unrestricted free agent, Porzingis would have to play his fifth season with the Knicks on a qualifying offer, which would be for $7.5 million -- significantly less annual money than he could earn via an extension.

Janis Porzingis, who works as a representative for Kirstaps under Andy Miller, Porzingis' primary agent, declined comment when reached Thursday He also shed light on Porzingis' decision to skip his exit meeting with ex-team president Phil Jackson and general manager Steve Mills at the end of last season. Porzingis skipped the meeting over frustration and drama surrounding the organization.

"(Skipping the exit interview) wasn't an emotional decision," Janis Porzingis said, according to the translation from Eurohoops.net. "It wasn't a spontaneous action. We had been thinking about it for a long time and it was considered an honest, well-thought decision we came up with together. It was a logical next step for us, without which we would've been in one situation, but now after we did it - we are in another."

Janis Porzingis also suggested that Carmelo Anthony could have done more as a leader to cause some of the issues that were bothering Porzingis to change. Anthony took the high road amid direct and indirect criticism from Jackson and amid consistent trade rumors.

"It's interesting how many people who are even somehow involved in all of this, have criticized it afterward as something so unprofessional. Just look at Melo, how he is handling things," Janis Porzingis said, according to the Eurohoops.net translation. "And I'm thinking, 'wait a minute.' In reality, if he for once decided to fight for something, we wouldn't be in this situation and Kristaps wouldn't be forced to take all the damage on himself. It wasn't done for some personal interest or ambitions or dislike for someone, it was for the sake of overall peace.

"It should have been a task for the team's leaders, but Melo and people around him never tried to change anything."

The relationship between Porzingis and the organization fractured in the offseason after Porzingis' skipped exit meeting and the Knicks' talks with other teams about potential Porzingis trades.


When asked about any lingering issues between he and the organization earlier this season, Porzingis has said that he's focused on this season and doesn't want to comment on the past.

Knicks president Steve Mills and general manager Scott Perry both attended practice on Thursday but declined comment on the matter. Head coach Jeff Hornacek said he sees no lingering issue between Porzingis and the organization and that there is no sign that Porzingis is unhappy.

"That's the past. We aren't worried about that," the coach said. "We started new this year and we're moving forward. That's all.

"I think KP has been great so far for us this year," he said. "He's being a leader on the court and off the court."

Bobby Marks contributed to this report.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21265290/brother-new-york-knicks-kristaps-porzingis-janis-suggests-money-only-factor-forward-re-sign-team

fishmike said: Yes. Sometimes I confuse the alerts with when your mom calls. BTW she said defensive guards are really important.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Posts: 47706
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
11/2/2017  4:04 PM
kinda same thing here:
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=57474

But I disagree... he's saying its not about just money. Its about people, culture and doing things the right way. I think message is ok.

fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
knicks1248
Posts: 36278
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
11/2/2017  4:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2017  4:27 PM
fishmike wrote:kinda same thing here:
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=57474

But I disagree... he's saying its not about just money. Its about people, culture and doing things the right way. I think message is ok.

so do I, the shot at melo's camp was so deserving...

what a lot ppl don't always realize is that really good players want to win, and melo told that to phil, and said he would trust the process, only the process didn't include him getting thrown under the bus for not committing to the triangle. I guess melo's thought process was to have phil take his cap space and find another star, learn the system and go from there.

ES
CrushAlot
Posts: 55244
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
11/2/2017  4:30 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:kinda same thing here:
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=57474

But I disagree... he's saying its not about just money. Its about people, culture and doing things the right way. I think message is ok.

so do I, the shot at melo's camp was so deserving...

what a lot ppl don't always realize is that really good players want to win, and melo told that to phil, and said he would trust the process, only the process didn't include him getting thrown under the bus for not committing to the triangle. I guess melo's thought process was to have phil take his cap space and find another star, learn the system and go from there.

When he skipped the exit meeting people were saying he had learned from Melo. Now KP's brother says Melo should have done something and it is Melo's fault again.
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
nixluva
Posts: 55256
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
11/2/2017  4:41 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:kinda same thing here:
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=57474

But I disagree... he's saying its not about just money. Its about people, culture and doing things the right way. I think message is ok.

so do I, the shot at melo's camp was so deserving...

what a lot ppl don't always realize is that really good players want to win, and melo told that to phil, and said he would trust the process, only the process didn't include him getting thrown under the bus for not committing to the triangle. I guess melo's thought process was to have phil take his cap space and find another star, learn the system and go from there.

When he skipped the exit meeting people were saying he had learned from Melo. Now KP's brother says Melo should have done something and it is Melo's fault again.

Yes there was conjecture that it was about Melo but not in the way we thought. In any event there was also talk of this being a power play by KP’s Team.

Doesn’t really matter at this point. Things are trending in a POSITIVE direction. The future is bright for this team and KP!!! He’ll Re-sign!!!

Knixkik
Posts: 28474
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
11/2/2017  4:49 PM
His intent is to keep the Knicks on their toes about their franchise player. Agents do this. I don't see much here.
knicks1248
Posts: 36278
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
11/2/2017  5:33 PM
Knixkik wrote:His intent is to keep the Knicks on their toes about their franchise player. Agents do this. I don't see much here.

yeah, but if this team loses 60 games, its going to be a problem

ES
newyorknewyork
Posts: 27072
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
11/2/2017  5:40 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:His intent is to keep the Knicks on their toes about their franchise player. Agents do this. I don't see much here.

yeah, but if this team loses 60 games, its going to be a problem

The Knicks have his rights for a couple of years. Knicks can struggle these next 2 season and still get an extension if things came together in his final yr heading into UFA.

newyorknewyork
Posts: 27072
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
11/2/2017  5:46 PM
But I'm sure the environment is different with Phil, Melo, Rose all out. Might come off as an actual NBA franchise this season instead of a reality TV show. Which would be different from KPs first 2 yrs here.
Jmpasq
Posts: 22795
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 4/10/2012
Member: #4182

11/2/2017  8:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2017  8:30 PM
cant stand this ******* janis. Everythings going well with this team and he has to be a dick
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
ekstarks94
Posts: 20377
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/5/2015
Member: #6104

11/2/2017  8:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2017  9:01 PM
Fvck him.....KP and them want to be in NY and be the man.....where are they going if he hits free agency...all the good teams will be capped out....does he want to be the man in ATL.....he gets more pub than Towns and Towns is the better player...only cause he is in NY....they are making a $hitload of money because he in NY....endorsements etc..why did you think Melo did not want to leave....


Now if we are completely dysfunctional like the past couple of years that is different.

If the mess around...they may fvck around and trade KP for a haul ......no player on a rookie deal than LeBron held the keys to the franchise like dice in his palms on his rookie deal....

I agree that they may have to do something drastic because Phil as much good as he had done keeping picks etc....he overshadowed everything as opposed to sitting in the back like a Svengali. The perception...real or not was that Phil in over his head and fre agents were not coming....

Phil from the lakers with Kobe can convince free agents...not the Phil in NY..the triangle had such a stigma attached to it...FA did not want to come...

KP knew he had pull....but don't forget they want to be here ...yes money is the same...but being the man in Ny is not like being the man in Mil

StarksEwing1
Posts: 29901
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/28/2012
Member: #4451

11/2/2017  9:02 PM
Really dont like his brother. KP is under knicks control for a while and by that time this team should be on the way especially if we add another good talent in the draft. Knicks are already looking better
CrushAlot
Posts: 55244
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
11/2/2017  9:59 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:But I'm sure the environment is different with Phil, Melo, Rose all out. Might come off as an actual NBA franchise this season instead of a reality TV show. Which would be different from KPs first 2 yrs here.
Yeah. The rebelliousness is gone but apparently it wasn't rebellious enough for Janis.
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
newyorknewyork
Posts: 27072
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
11/2/2017  10:57 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:But I'm sure the environment is different with Phil, Melo, Rose all out. Might come off as an actual NBA franchise this season instead of a reality TV show. Which would be different from KPs first 2 yrs here.
Yeah. The rebelliousness is gone but apparently it wasn't rebellious enough for Janis.

Don't think they wanted more rebelliousness. As that would just create more dysfunction. Think he wanted leadership. Leadership would have pulled everyone together and tried to get everyone on the same page.

SupremeCommander
Posts: 31791
Alba Posts: 35
Joined: 4/28/2006
Member: #1127

11/2/2017  11:10 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Really dont like his brother. KP is under knicks control for a while and by that time this team should be on the way especially if we add another good talent in the draft. Knicks are already looking better

I'm with you - Janis reminds me of LBJ's boys when he entered the league. Meaning, guys who would be irrelevant in any other situation are acting like they have 23" gallos

fishmike said: Yes. Sometimes I confuse the alerts with when your mom calls. BTW she said defensive guards are really important.
CrushAlot
Posts: 55244
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
11/2/2017  11:27 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:But I'm sure the environment is different with Phil, Melo, Rose all out. Might come off as an actual NBA franchise this season instead of a reality TV show. Which would be different from KPs first 2 yrs here.
Yeah. The rebelliousness is gone but apparently it wasn't rebellious enough for Janis.

Don't think they wanted more rebelliousness. As that would just create more dysfunction. Think he wanted leadership. Leadership would have pulled everyone together and tried to get everyone on the same page.

I don't see skipping an exit meeting as stepping up as a leader. Not a good look. I am glad Phil is gone and as you said the franchise is behaving like an actual nba franchise now which is a positive.
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
newyorknewyork
Posts: 27072
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
11/2/2017  11:41 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:But I'm sure the environment is different with Phil, Melo, Rose all out. Might come off as an actual NBA franchise this season instead of a reality TV show. Which would be different from KPs first 2 yrs here.
Yeah. The rebelliousness is gone but apparently it wasn't rebellious enough for Janis.

Don't think they wanted more rebelliousness. As that would just create more dysfunction. Think he wanted leadership. Leadership would have pulled everyone together and tried to get everyone on the same page.

I don't see skipping an exit meeting as stepping up as a leader. Not a good look. I am glad Phil is gone and as you said the franchise is behaving like an actual nba franchise now which is a positive.

Its not leadership at all. Its the opposite. Everything Janis said in the article is weak. I need to read the article again actually when I get home to make some sense of what he trying to say. Like how Melo left KP to take the brunt of the blame.

PhilinLA
Posts: 24874
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/12/2004
Member: #696
11/2/2017  11:46 PM
That's what agents are supposed to do.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
mlby1215
Posts: 20246
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 4/16/2017
Member: #6486

11/3/2017  2:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/3/2017  7:10 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:But I'm sure the environment is different with Phil, Melo, Rose all out. Might come off as an actual NBA franchise this season instead of a reality TV show. Which would be different from KPs first 2 yrs here.
Yeah. The rebelliousness is gone but apparently it wasn't rebellious enough for Janis.

Don't think they wanted more rebelliousness. As that would just create more dysfunction. Think he wanted leadership. Leadership would have pulled everyone together and tried to get everyone on the same page.

I don't see skipping an exit meeting as stepping up as a leader. Not a good look. I am glad Phil is gone and as you said the franchise is behaving like an actual nba franchise now which is a positive.

Its not leadership at all. Its the opposite. Everything Janis said in the article is weak. I need to read the article again actually when I get home to make some sense of what he trying to say. Like how Melo left KP to take the brunt of the blame.

It is more like he wanted to say "Don't blame us! We are smart! It was all well-planned! I hate Melo! Because he didn't come out to take the heat I created!"

When he said the situation is now different, I know he somewhat loses his grasp on reality. This team will be bad, as it should be. It changes from a prez who would never trade away first picks to someone who might. It changes from a bad team to another bad team. It changes from too many centers to too many centers. The attitudes of fans now are good, but wouldn't they every year at the start of a season?

He really tried to paint it like he has done a wonderful job, and it is crazy. No one knew what Dolan would do, as he can do anything if his feeling strikes him. Who would expect he ate 24mil from firing Phil? Just months before he said he had to honor the agreement between he and Phil, otherwise no one would work for him. It is okay you fire him, it is stupid you said something like that just few months ago.

However, Janis sounds like it was their plan and he pulled it out. I don't think Dolan wanted to hear that.

I start to have a feeling why Phil wanted to trade KP (if it is true). He is a humble and good kid, but he has an agent he cannot fire, and this agent is very hard to deal with.

nykshaknbake
Posts: 21911
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/15/2003
Member: #492
11/3/2017  7:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/3/2017  7:28 AM
It's possible this is post event spin, trying to make the act of skipping the interview less unprofessional.

If not it shows that KP was not happy with Phil Jackson despite some people here claiming he loved the triangle or he was actually upset with Horny.

It shows he's not taking less than the max. If he continues to play like this that's ok.

The rest was fine but it's not great that these kind of talks which should be closed door are taking place via the media. KP needs to reign his brother in a bit.

KP's brother stirs the pot yet again

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.