BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/3/2017  11:39 AM
nixluva wrote:
martin wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I like Frank as a prospect but he is NO starting NBA player=--does anyone believe this? D league starter yes--be realistic in expectation for the kid.

He's already a starting caliber defender and passer. It's the other stuff that will take time. Still, he really isn't that far away.

Yeah the only thing Nitty is struggling with is personal scoring! He’s not getting beat up by opposing guards!!!

He struggles with ball pressure too. And his PG capabilities to run an offense are still at the very beginning.

I’m not really concerned. Frank has shown to be a quick learner. He’s shown amazing Court Vision and passing ability. He’s going to learn how to handle ball pressure and make teams pay. He’s going to make the adjustment to his offense as he sees that he can get to his spots coming off screens and use change of pace to get to the rim. Much slower guys have made these adjustments.

Yeah, I mean it's common for first year players to struggle a little with ball pressure. Heck, I remember Jeremy Lin struggling a little with the back court pressure during Linsanity. It happens way to much for me to be concerned at this point of the season.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/3/2017  11:42 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:Dotson is 4 years older than Frank. They both look exciting, but don't think for a minute they were picked in reverse order.

I think a guy like Frank shows why they want kids to stay in school for an additional year. The "lottery teams" (some) are getting 19 year olds who are not mature in various aspects whether mind body or game. let's say for instance you put this Frank on Villabova this year as a freshmen-- is he going to be a better player than jalen Brunson will be? Right now I think Brunson would be a better nba player than frank. He's much more developed all the way around franks an 8 pick because of his physical profile( which is usually the case)

You need to give Frank some time. He is 19 and a foreigner. Young in a strange land is a bit much for a lot of people. He has shown enough to show most people that he is capable and worthy of his draft status.

newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

11/3/2017  11:46 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:Dotson is 4 years older than Frank. They both look exciting, but don't think for a minute they were picked in reverse order.

I think a guy like Frank shows why they want kids to stay in school for an additional year. The "lottery teams" (some) are getting 19 year olds who are not mature in various aspects whether mind body or game. let's say for instance you put this Frank on Villabova this year as a freshmen-- is he going to be a better player than jalen Brunson will be? Right now I think Brunson would be a better nba player than frank. He's much more developed all the way around franks an 8 pick because of his physical profile( which is usually the case)

Making assumptions on what any college player that's still in college will be in the NBA is just that.....an assumption.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/3/2017  11:47 AM
BRIGGS wrote:

Briggs, something to consider. Frank turned 19 in july. If he were in the US, he would have just finished up his senior year in HS and be starting his freshman year in college. That being said, his overall impact won't be much different than any other top rookie. It's easy to see he is the most impactful defensive rookie in this draft.

newyorker4ever

11/3/2017  11:50 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Frank dominated players his own age. He also played against grown ass men in France. Sure he’s 19 and still raw. He’s also in the NBA having a positive impact after just a few games. Gotta give him a chance since he missed so much time if you’ve forgotten.

Im not putting over weight expectations on him. We just saw a cleansing of players who were picked 2-4-5 in what was a "stacked" draft. There are spurts he looks good and spurts where he doesnt belong on an NBA court. I think hes got a good feel and intelligence for the game and hes long. Hes got good form on his J. He lacks the ability to separate has a high loose dribble with no explosion or athletic burst. His body type will need to emphasize the "skill" part of the game--which is good--but takes time.

You do realize that he didn't play in the SL and played just a few minutes in preseason and has played sparingly so far this season right? You do realize that just like any rookie he will get better the more he plays right? This is a rebuilding year and Frank is a future starting PG so let him take his lumps in a season that wins and losses shouldn't matter much anyway.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/3/2017  12:01 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Making assumptions on what any college player that's still in college will be in the NBA is just that.....an assumption.

Agreed. Would Jalen Brunson get major minutes in the French League championship finals right now? I don't know, but my guess is probably not. Every rookie point has looked shaky this year. Simmons and Fox have looked better than most, but Lonzo and Smith Jr have been up and down.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/3/2017  12:11 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Agreed. Would Jalen Brunson get major minutes in the French League championship finals right now? I don't know, but my guess is probably not. Every rookie point has looked shaky this year. Simmons and Fox have looked better than most, but Lonzo and Smith Jr have been up and down.

Jalen Brunson's rick Brunson's son. Wow good ole Rick Brunson. His father wasn't that good which means his son is probably gonna be an all star lol that's usually how it goes.

In comparison though he is also a 21 yr old Junior. Franks game translates extremely well in college. His defense would be lock down. And he wouldn't be facing grown men or NBA athletes. Instead of guarding James Harden he would be guarding Jalen Brunson(s) you tell me.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/3/2017  12:16 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Jalen Brunson's rick Brunson's son. Wow good ole Rick Brunson. His father wasn't that good which means his son is probably gonna be an all star lol that's usually how it goes.

In comparison though he is also a 21 yr old Junior. Franks game translates extremely well in college. His defense would be lock down. And he wouldn't be facing grown men or NBA athletes. Instead of guarding James Harden he would be guarding Jalen Brunson(s) you tell me.

Great perspective.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

11/3/2017  12:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/3/2017  12:27 PM
We also have this guy Isaia Hicks we signed to a two way contract. I've been reading up on him some. From his draft profiles, he seems to be a younger more athletic version of Lance Thomas. Sounds like a guy who can excel in transition with Dotson and Frank and is a threat driving and rolling to the basket. He can also guard multiple positions. The knock on him as a classic tweener is his lack of confidence in his mid range shot and behind the arc he is not a threat to shoot at all.

If this guy can develop a corner three and get confidence in his mid range, he could make it to the NBA. Definitely a player to watch when the G-league gets started.

Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
11/3/2017  3:08 PM
Rookie wrote:We also have this guy Isaia Hicks we signed to a two way contract. I've been reading up on him some. From his draft profiles, he seems to be a younger more athletic version of Lance Thomas. Sounds like a guy who can excel in transition with Dotson and Frank and is a threat driving and rolling to the basket. He can also guard multiple positions. The knock on him as a classic tweener is his lack of confidence in his mid range shot and behind the arc he is not a threat to shoot at all.

If this guy can develop a corner three and get confidence in his mid range, he could make it to the NBA. Definitely a player to watch when the G-league gets started.

Looks like a solid college rotation player who may get some G-League minutes before he becomes a chiropractor.

reub
Member: #6227

11/4/2017  3:52 PM
Rookie wrote:We also have this guy Isaia Hicks we signed to a two way contract. I've been reading up on him some. From his draft profiles, he seems to be a younger more athletic version of Lance Thomas. Sounds like a guy who can excel in transition with Dotson and Frank and is a threat driving and rolling to the basket. He can also guard multiple positions. The knock on him as a classic tweener is his lack of confidence in his mid range shot and behind the arc he is not a threat to shoot at all.

He looks promising. I'll be watching him and Trey Burke tonight in their first games for Westchester.
newyorker4ever

11/4/2017  7:37 PM

I think i saw him shoot maybe one ball from about 10 feet out in the whole video so what makes you think he can develop a corner 3? I actually like the kid but like him more as a true defensive center more than a kid that can shoot 3's from the corner.

reub
Member: #6227

11/4/2017  10:19 PM
I watched the game. Hicks has no outside game but he's long and active near the rim. Nigel Hayes is very undisciplined. XRM, Kornet and especially Trey Burke looked really good in their first game for Westchester.
Kemet
Member: #6148

11/5/2017  5:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/5/2017  5:56 AM
reub wrote:I watched the game. Hicks has no outside game but he's long and active near the rim. Nigel Hayes is very undisciplined. XRM, Kornet and especially Trey Burke looked really good in their first game for Westchester.

Hicks not shooting from outside are the reason i like him, he's a strong forward that plays physical in-side the paint on both sides of the court. Plus Hicks has a variety of inside moves that will put him at the free throw line.

Frank nor Dotson belong in the starting lineup, nor should they be receiving 30 minute per game at least not until the middle of mid-season if their mind/body/and spirit don't get exhausted after 50 games .. the majority of NBA rookies hit the wall mainly from all the traveling waiting on bus/plane then Jet-Lag, practice, and all the back to back games on the road, plus a rookie has to get situated in a different city/state, not to mention the rookie personal life .. all this is new to a rookie.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

11/5/2017  6:14 AM
Frank's averaging 7.1 assits and 3.4 steals a game in 36 (starter) minutes. He's definitely going to be a defensive threat and an impact there. He'll be a good passer. Just not sure about the scoring. You look at the #2 pick in the draft, Lonzo Ball. He isn't scoring great at all, and I think Frank is a much better defender and his shot form from outside is better than Ball. Obviously Ball is the better prospect as a PG because he has the feel, passing and game control skills that Frank doesn't. I just like that Frank has a different set of skills from your typical 8th drafted pick in the lottery. I really like he bothers teams already with his length and he is such a good passer. Give him some time. Talent is there. He needs a few years to understand how to run a NBA offense from the point guard role. Health, consistency from the coaching staff in trusting and working with him as well as his own work ethic will be the key factors. I think he will likely be a 10 point, 7 assist, 2 steals type of guy in year and half.
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

11/5/2017  9:39 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:

I think i saw him shoot maybe one ball from about 10 feet out in the whole video so what makes you think he can develop a corner 3? I actually like the kid but like him more as a true defensive center more than a kid that can shoot 3's from the corner.

Just seems to make it in todays nba as a PF, teams want you to be able to spread the floor. You don’t have to be a sharpshooter, but defenders have to atleast think thst you will shoot. But to answer your question, just my opinion really.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/5/2017  9:54 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Frank's averaging 7.1 assits and 3.4 steals a game in 36 (starter) minutes. He's definitely going to be a defensive threat and an impact there. He'll be a good passer. Just not sure about the scoring. You look at the #2 pick in the draft, Lonzo Ball. He isn't scoring great at all, and I think Frank is a much better defender and his shot form from outside is better than Ball. Obviously Ball is the better prospect as a PG because he has the feel, passing and game control skills that Frank doesn't. I just like that Frank has a different set of skills from your typical 8th drafted pick in the lottery. I really like he bothers teams already with his length and he is such a good passer. Give him some time. Talent is there. He needs a few years to understand how to run a NBA offense from the point guard role. Health, consistency from the coaching staff in trusting and working with him as well as his own work ethic will be the key factors. I think he will likely be a 10 point, 7 assist, 2 steals type of guy in year and half.

Ball has been much more willing to take it to the rim, even with his passing skills. I believe Frank has the body control to be a better finisher at the rim than Ball, eventually. Its about developing a chip on his shoulder on offense, and practice.

Ball is like a chess player, he sees the game several moves ahead of everyone else. I agree, I dont believe Frank is on that level either, but neither are a majority of players entering the league. Doesn't mean Frank doesnt have great court vision though, which Im sure you will agree.

The only thing I believe is separating Frank from being a real player in this league is looking for his shot more, and rebounding. Just 19, and has a lot of things about his game, close to down already.

I wanna see more of Dotson and frank

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy