[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How valuable is Kyle Oquinn?
Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
10/31/2017  12:49 PM
What do you guys think his worth on the open market is next year (assuming his play stays consistently as is)?

7pts, 7rebs, 1.5 blocks in 17 minutes.

PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

10/31/2017  1:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2017  1:10 PM
Phil Jackson knew how to get talent without spending much

KP
Frank
OQuinn
Willy
Dotson
Lance Thomas
Baker

Say whatever you want about the guy but majority of his moves from a year or two years ago are now showing. KP is starting to play at a franchise player level. Frank is showing why we valued his D and talent. Willy is a highly skilled offensive player. OQuinn has become much better than he was when we signed him.

The team we have right now is filled with character guys, guys still improving and players who play the right way.

So refreshing from the DRose/Melo drama from last year. I even think the higher spending moves like Noah and Lee will show to be good for us. The only truly awful move in hindsight will be the Rose trade ... Rose was a cancer it's clear as day now that even Jarret Jack and Frank run a much better offense and play better D.

OQuinn is a really useful backup.

Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
10/31/2017  1:08 PM
Andrew wrote:What do you guys think his worth on the open market is next year (assuming his play stays consistently as is)?

That's about 15, 15, and 3 in starter's minutes. I think he could get about 4 years, 60 mil, which is too much.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/31/2017  1:14 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Andrew wrote:What do you guys think his worth on the open market is next year (assuming his play stays consistently as is)?

That's about 15, 15, and 3 in starter's minutes. I think he could get about 4 years, 60 mil, which is too much.

Hes going to get paid-but 15mm? I was thinking 4 years 36- 40mm$ Im not worried about consistency---look at his lifetime numbers--not only is he ticking up--one of his attributes is consistency. There will be games where he doesnt make an imprint because of lack of minutes--thats consistent with ALL bench players and 3 point shooters as well--but its the sum of the play

RIP Crushalot😞
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/31/2017  1:17 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Hes going to get paid-but 15mm? I was thinking 4 years 36- 40mm$ Im not worried about consistency---look at his lifetime numbers--not only is he ticking up--one of his attributes is consistency. There will be games where he doesnt make an imprint because of lack of minutes--thats consistent with ALL bench players and 3 point shooters as well--but its the sum of the play

I was thinking 4 year, $40 to 50 mil. I could see someone paying what Bonn suggested. Someone always gets paid more than is expected. I can't even keep up with 'market value' considering some of the crazy deals that have been issued

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
PhilinLA
Member: #696
10/31/2017  1:41 PM
Between Kanter and KOQ, we're getting like 20+ points and 20+ boards a game from the C position, so together they comprise our #2 scoring threat.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/31/2017  2:09 PM
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:First off--he saved that game last night a couple of times. Man the guy is a warrior and hes really good. He does a little bit of everything--hes very skilled and has the corresponding toughness. Hes almost like the C version of Dray Green --defense rebounding passing scoring toughness. His value at his salary is off the charts. I thought hed be odd man out--and that is a no way--hes a must keep.

Briggs we have been down this road with O'Quinn many times. He had an amazing streak of games early last year, december i think. It is important to keep expectations tempered. Hernangomez has more upside than him, and it is best to sell high on O'Quinn when the opportunity comes, although i have never been against keeping him. No doubt he helps us win games.

Agree with this somewhat...but I think the good outweighs the bad with KOQ. Did a makeover on his body and did not revert back to the old body this year...tells us he is working hard in the off-season.

Willy needs the playing time/opportunity to up his game to where it was last year and to go beyond that level of play. He is being wasted on the bench.

Knicks need to decide if KOQ is in our long-term plans, though. As some have said he will probably opt out next year. Do you want to spend good money keeping him when you have Willy in the wings waiting, or do you trade him for a pick, because you have to believe there are potential playoff teams out there who could use a KOQ on their team.

Might come down to how the Knicks are playing as we approach the trade deadline. Don't think they would break up the chemistry if we were actually in a playoff run.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

10/31/2017  2:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2017  2:29 PM
BRIGGS wrote:First off--he saved that game last night a couple of times. Man the guy is a warrior and hes really good. He does a little bit of everything--hes very skilled and has the corresponding toughness. Hes almost like the C version of Dray Green --defense rebounding passing scoring toughness. His value at his salary is off the charts. I thought hed be odd man out--and that is a no way--hes a must keep.

That's what I think we should find out how valuable he is. Quickly!!

Hopefully he keeps playing the way he has. If the past seasons are any indication, he will not. With Willy's and Kanter's ages and potential, you have to trade KO when his value is high. Unfortunately, he has proven he is unable to maintain that level of play. However, don't think this is our biggest concern.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
10/31/2017  2:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2017  2:34 PM
becoming more valuable everyday!

At this point, see what his value is and try to get the SF that is needed for this team.

I think KOQ is a poor mans Oakley. Always have liked his game but not his inconsistency. Seems to be more consistent so far this season after 6 games.

Andrew
Member: #1
USA
10/31/2017  2:41 PM
28 years old at the end of the year, if he keeps this up commands 8-12M a year as a backup for 4 years. Knicks have a 22 year old that makes 2M a year in the wings that at worse is almost comparable. KOQ is trade bait.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
TPercy
Member: #5748

10/31/2017  2:57 PM
unstopaball12 wrote:the main problem with O'quinn is his consistency. He brings it in one game and does bone headed plays or gets overmatched during the next. Consistency is the key with him.

I still believe this is the best time to trade him. Like what I mentioned in the gametrthread during the cle game. Trade him, Kuz and our second round pick to Cleveland for Crowder.

Why Cle does it:
They get a true Center to back up Love/Thompson
They open rotation mins for Korver,Green and Shumpert.
Kuz can be an emergency filler for them.

Why Knicks does it:
Frees up the logjam at Center.
Opens a position when Noah gets back.
Gets a starting caliber 3 and D guy and places Lee to the bench as the 6 Man.
Crowder on a friendly contract for the next years to come and brings toughness and winning mentality to the team.

I would do this trade in a heartbeat especially considering that crowder is only 25.
Frank
Timmy
Crowder
KP
Kanter

Jack
Lee
Doug
Beasley
Willy

Sessions
Baker
Dotson
Lance
Noah

Not too shabby at all. We draft another quality 3, get a better bet pg then acquire a more defensive 4.

Still too early though and of corse these things can change

The Future is Bright!
KP4Life
Member: #6117
USA
10/31/2017  3:15 PM
that crowder trade is perfect. I'd do it now. I'm not sure if Cleveland would though
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/31/2017  3:17 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:becoming more valuable everyday!

At this point, see what his value is and try to get the SF that is needed for this team.

I think KOQ is a poor mans Oakley. Always have liked his game but not his inconsistency. Seems to be more consistent so far this season after 6 games.

He's always reminded me a little of Kurt Thomas to be honest.
BRIGGS
10/31/2017  3:34 PM
KP4Life wrote:that crowder trade is perfect. I'd do it now. I'm not sure if Cleveland would though

Im sure Cleveland would do that--Crowder has been awful. But why would you give Lebron a guy who is outplaying their big by a mile? You make Cleveland much better? You stick with Oquinn and Kanter who are giving the Knicks 20-20. Until proven otherwise you stay the course. I liked the way Mudiay looked--we need a PG much more than any position. Id be more interested in a Willy for Mudiay type deal--and still not until I get a good 20-30 game view. If you want to be good--you need some vets like Oquinn.

RIP Crushalot😞
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/31/2017  4:55 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
KP4Life wrote:that crowder trade is perfect. I'd do it now. I'm not sure if Cleveland would though

Im sure Cleveland would do that--Crowder has been awful. But why would you give Lebron a guy who is outplaying their big by a mile? You make Cleveland much better? You stick with Oquinn and Kanter who are giving the Knicks 20-20. Until proven otherwise you stay the course. I liked the way Mudiay looked--we need a PG much more than any position. Id be more interested in a Willy for Mudiay type deal--and still not until I get a good 20-30 game view. If you want to be good--you need some vets like Oquinn.

I think Crowder would bounce back. He has been moved around position wise and is currently coming off of the bench. I think it would fix a lot for the Knicks. Oquinn has been amazing and I love the energy and toughness that he brings when he comes onto the court. Crowder would ease that loss. Can't believe Crowder is only 25. Fits with the young core. Getting a wing with Crowder's ability would be a huge get for the Knicks.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
10/31/2017  4:59 PM
I am in this boat as well. He has been so good and brought so much energy to the team. He sets the tone. Not sure you get rid of that guy. It has been awhile since I was excited when I see a guy come off the bench but Kyle is that guy. He just brings it this year. He has been horribly inconsistent in the past but maybe he has put it altogether. Guys seem to be getting playing time based on production and effort. He has given a ton of that.
Welpee
Member: #6239

10/31/2017  6:13 PM
unstopaball12 wrote:the main problem with O'quinn is his consistency. He brings it in one game and does bone headed plays or gets overmatched during the next. Consistency is the key with him.
Exactly, we talked about this in the past. KOQ will look like an all-star for one game and you won't see that effort again from him for the next month or so.
BRIGGS
10/31/2017  6:34 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

I think Crowder would bounce back. He has been moved around position wise and is currently coming off of the bench. I think it would fix a lot for the Knicks. Oquinn has been amazing and I love the energy and toughness that he brings when he comes onto the court. Crowder would ease that loss. Can't believe Crowder is only 25. Fits with the young core. Getting a wing with Crowder's ability would be a huge get for the Knicks.

The Knicks need to hold off anything for the first 25 games unless something is a no brainer. The way KOQ is playing-- trading him for Crowder would be drastically selling the team short. Right now we have a dual c going 20-20. Until that stops I think u let it play out. Again take out know last night and we most certainly lose. He was as valuable as any player on the floor

RIP Crushalot😞
CrushAlot
USA
10/31/2017  6:53 PM
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/31/2017  7:44 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Beast

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
How valuable is Kyle Oquinn?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy