[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How valuable is Kyle Oquinn?
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/31/2017  10:21 AM
First off--he saved that game last night a couple of times. Man the guy is a warrior and hes really good. He does a little bit of everything--hes very skilled and has the corresponding toughness. Hes almost like the C version of Dray Green --defense rebounding passing scoring toughness. His value at his salary is off the charts. I thought hed be odd man out--and that is a no way--hes a must keep.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
unstopaball12
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1137
Philippines
10/31/2017  10:29 AM
the main problem with O'quinn is his consistency. He brings it in one game and does bone headed plays or gets overmatched during the next. Consistency is the key with him.

I still believe this is the best time to trade him. Like what I mentioned in the gametrthread during the cle game. Trade him, Kuz and our second round pick to Cleveland for Crowder.

Why Cle does it:
They get a true Center to back up Love/Thompson
They open rotation mins for Korver,Green and Shumpert.
Kuz can be an emergency filler for them.

Why Knicks does it:
Frees up the logjam at Center.
Opens a position when Noah gets back.
Gets a starting caliber 3 and D guy and places Lee to the bench as the 6 Man.
Crowder on a friendly contract for the next years to come and brings toughness and winning mentality to the team.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/31/2017  10:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2017  10:32 AM
I agree.... He's invaluable. He's always ready to play too. He has a nack for swallowing tough rebounds. He's just a pro. We have to get better but certain guys are the glue That holds things together. We can always rely on koq to do what he does. He's not a start but he's a grunt. We need to hold on to that identity
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/31/2017  10:31 AM
I am starting to rethink my stance trading KOQ. He is really clicking with KP. So is Kanter. The question is if another team offers a 1st rounder...do we bite?
EnySpree

10/31/2017  10:34 AM
NYKBocker wrote:I am starting to rethink my stance trading KOQ. He is really clicking with KP. So is Kanter. The question is if another team offers a 1st rounder...do we bite?

First rounders do nothing for us in october... we would need a player. A player that won't make us regret losing such a blue collar guy

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NYKBocker
USA
10/31/2017  10:37 AM
EnySpree wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I am starting to rethink my stance trading KOQ. He is really clicking with KP. So is Kanter. The question is if another team offers a 1st rounder...do we bite?

First rounders do nothing for us in october... we would need a player. A player that won't make us regret losing such a blue collar guy

I agree but then there is the glut we have at C position. You still have to entertain the offer.

EnySpree

10/31/2017  10:44 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

I agree but then there is the glut we have at C position. You still have to entertain the offer.

It's a race between Kanter and Willy. They are similiar players. Depending on how the market shadows up I think one of them will give us the best return. Just gotta wait and see.

NYKBocker
USA
10/31/2017  10:50 AM
EnySpree wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

It's a race between Kanter and Willy. They are similiar players. Depending on how the market shadows up I think one of them will give us the best return. Just gotta wait and see.

I am being selfish now...I don't want to give any of them up....but...we have to.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/31/2017  10:54 AM
I said going into the season that we would be able to get a first rounder for him if we traded him. He'd be crazy not to opt out after this year. If he isn't in our long term plans we should move him for something. I know he is a great piece for us right now but I think we'll all feel differently about him when he's making two times (or possibly more) than he's currently making
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/31/2017  10:56 AM
unstopaball12 wrote:the main problem with O'quinn is his consistency. He brings it in one game and does bone headed plays or gets overmatched during the next. Consistency is the key with him.

I still believe this is the best time to trade him. Like what I mentioned in the gametrthread during the cle game. Trade him, Kuz and our second round pick to Cleveland for Crowder.

+1 on the KOQ inconsistency issue.

Which is why I think you're really high if you think we're getting Crowder for KOQ and flotsam. I've listened to the Cav's GM and he's not that stupid. Would love that trade though.

BRIGGS
10/31/2017  10:59 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:I said going into the season that we would be able to get a first rounder for him if we traded him. He'd be crazy not to opt out after this year. If he isn't in our long term plans we should move him for something. I know he is a great piece for us right now but I think we'll all feel differently about him when he's making two times (or possibly more) than he's currently making

You're exactly right--the bottom line is KOQ is going to get paid and wed have to balance how much we can pay him? That will be the question. Right now hes a must keep--hes the best defensive player on the team.

RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/31/2017  11:00 AM
patience. Key is not to sell these guys, rather to let them sell themselves. I think some package of KOQ would fetch a nice price. I can actually see KOQ on GS. He would be great fit there or in SA. He is obviously opting out as the MLE is like 2x his next year's salary.

Maybe KOQ and McD for Harkless? I like the idea of a long defensive guy at the 3. No rush...

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
10/31/2017  11:01 AM
jrodmc wrote:
unstopaball12 wrote:the main problem with O'quinn is his consistency. He brings it in one game and does bone headed plays or gets overmatched during the next. Consistency is the key with him.

+1 on the KOQ inconsistency issue.

Which is why I think you're really high if you think we're getting Crowder for KOQ and flotsam. I've listened to the Cav's GM and he's not that stupid. Would love that trade though.

Crowder has been brutal with Cavs so far. Wed be making a direct competitor better-a no no. We have to let this go out to 20-30 games and see where we are.

RIP Crushalot😞
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/31/2017  11:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2017  11:03 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I said going into the season that we would be able to get a first rounder for him if we traded him. He'd be crazy not to opt out after this year. If he isn't in our long term plans we should move him for something. I know he is a great piece for us right now but I think we'll all feel differently about him when he's making two times (or possibly more) than he's currently making

You're exactly right--the bottom line is KOQ is going to get paid and wed have to balance how much we can pay him? That will be the question. Right now hes a must keep--hes the best defensive player on the team.

he is definitely our best defensive player but we have Noah making a bajillion dollars and in theory should be a similar player. I would hate to lose KOQ. That said, I do think we should sell high. What's our realistic ceiling? A first round win? So why not maximize our future?

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/31/2017  11:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2017  11:06 AM

That is a good point. Forgot about his contract status. Would be great if Perry tried to assemble some sort of a package of players that nets us an unprotected first rounder. Wouldnt be easy, but we do have some good players to offer. Worth a shot if it looks like O'Quinn bails, or isnt part of the team's future. Would have an even nicer young core to surround KP with as he goes into his max deal.

Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
10/31/2017  11:22 AM
BRIGGS wrote:First off--he saved that game last night a couple of times. Man the guy is a warrior and hes really good. He does a little bit of everything--hes very skilled and has the corresponding toughness. Hes almost like the C version of Dray Green --defense rebounding passing scoring toughness. His value at his salary is off the charts. I thought hed be odd man out--and that is a no way--hes a must keep.

Briggs we have been down this road with O'Quinn many times. He had an amazing streak of games early last year, december i think. It is important to keep expectations tempered. Hernangomez has more upside than him, and it is best to sell high on O'Quinn when the opportunity comes, although i have never been against keeping him. No doubt he helps us win games.

Caseloads
Member: #41
10/31/2017  12:05 PM
koq is balling now. he sucked his entire knicks tenure prior to this
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
10/31/2017  12:16 PM
I've always like him and would love to keep him long term. he's from the area and he is one of the few guys we might be able to get a long term discount from moving beyond his current contract.

Blue collar role player.

knicks1248
Member: #582
10/31/2017  12:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2017  12:17 PM
Caseloads wrote:koq is balling now. he sucked his entire knicks tenure prior to this

I wouldn't say he sucked, he was just ridiculously inconsistent,and im not even talking game to game, it was more like possession to possession. Isn't he in a contract yr?

ES
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

10/31/2017  12:41 PM
Man i think you hold on trading him and see how he molds with this team. His rebounding, Passing and defensive presence can not be taken for granted
How valuable is Kyle Oquinn?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy