[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Porzingis is Larry Bird
Author Thread
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/31/2017  9:27 AM
Yeah, KP's Bird minus the passing, Dirk plus the shot blocking, Camby plus a three point shot but minus the explosiveness, Ewing minus the rebounding...

He's a 7'3" Unicorn. Anyone at his height hasn't had his ability to move, have handles, run the floor consistently or defend at the rim when he's got some help in the front court (see the year with Rolo).

I don't care if he's the next Spudd Webb, just stay healthy.

You guys spend a lot of time commenting on the internet?
AUTOADVERT
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6192

10/31/2017  10:01 AM
Dont know about Larry Bird like. But he is proving that he is ready to take on the role of the lead scorer and player. I love that he has really developed his mid range game. That was one of my only complaints about him the last 2 years. Think he will next learn how to set up the outside shooters when double teamed. As those will start happening a lot more.
Melo Haters = Lin lovers who are mad Houston paid so much for his 15 Minutes,
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/31/2017  12:34 PM
feast your eyes

“This board has become a repository for mentally unstable attention seekers. Or gimmick posters.” - sebstar
martin
Alba Posts: 106
Member: #2
USA
10/31/2017  1:01 PM
Frank needs to watch that Bird vid
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #303
10/31/2017  1:10 PM
Marv wrote:feast your eyes

Hard to show younger people just how good Magic Johnson and Larry Bird were with just video. Jordan and Kobe were similar players so people can make that out.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

10/31/2017  1:15 PM
KP is nothing like Bird.
He's something unique
A player that now has quality skills all over the court.
The one thing missing in his game was the post and mid range game.
With Melo gone and KP working hard over the summer he gets these mid range and post scoring chances plus what he was already getting from outside.

He's going to be the first and only KP. No real comparison. He's truly showing that while he may not be there now he has serious potential to be the next best player in the league. Way he's been so aggressive and just a scoring machine. Next step for him after this is to learn how to draw defence in and find the open cutters and shooters on his team.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

10/31/2017  1:18 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Dont know about Larry Bird like. But he is proving that he is ready to take on the role of the lead scorer and player. I love that he has really developed his mid range game. That was one of my only complaints about him the last 2 years. Think he will next learn how to set up the outside shooters when double teamed. As those will start happening a lot more.

Now you know why we were so hard on Rose and Melo last year
Did a poor job of getting KP going
Now he has improved himself but also the team constantly finds him.

Next step for KP is to not be another Melo IE all star scoring machine
He needs to learn how to pass. Not the direct assist but the hockey assist as well. Right now he's playing too much like a gunner. Still great but I hope he evolves more than this.

PhilinLA
Member: #696
10/31/2017  1:43 PM
KP is different from Bird, but he is a Franchise Player.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/31/2017  1:50 PM
the only similarity I see in KP and Bird are both can shoot and both are white
fishmike said: Yes. Sometimes I confuse the alerts with when your mom calls. BTW she said defensive guards are really important.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 48
Member: #542
USA
10/31/2017  1:51 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:the only similarity I see in KP and Bird are both can shoot and both are white

Yeah basically.

Title odds are 200:1. So you're saying there's a chance!
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 48
Member: #542
USA
10/31/2017  1:53 PM
jrodmc wrote:Yeah, KP's Bird minus the passing, Dirk plus the shot blocking, Camby plus a three point shot but minus the explosiveness, Ewing minus the rebounding...

He's a 7'3" Unicorn. Anyone at his height hasn't had his ability to move, have handles, run the floor consistently or defend at the rim when he's got some help in the front court (see the year with Rolo).

I was actually going to say Nate Robinson but he celebrates a lot more than KP.... so maybe Webb or Earl Boykins are appropriate comparisons.

Title odds are 200:1. So you're saying there's a chance!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/31/2017  2:14 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Yeah, KP's Bird minus the passing, Dirk plus the shot blocking, Camby plus a three point shot but minus the explosiveness, Ewing minus the rebounding...

I was actually going to say Nate Robinson but he celebrates a lot more than KP.... so maybe Webb or Earl Boykins are appropriate comparisons.

A basketball version of Jose Altuve
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

10/31/2017  2:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2017  2:20 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Dont know about Larry Bird like. But he is proving that he is ready to take on the role of the lead scorer and player. I love that he has really developed his mid range game. That was one of my only complaints about him the last 2 years. Think he will next learn how to set up the outside shooters when double teamed. As those will start happening a lot more.

Now you know why we were so hard on Rose and Melo last year
Did a poor job of getting KP going
Now he has improved himself but also the team constantly finds him.

Next step for KP is to not be another Melo IE all star scoring machine
He needs to learn how to pass. Not the direct assist but the hockey assist as well. Right now he's playing too much like a gunner. Still great but I hope he evolves more than this.

Agree. And dont think I ever defended Melo's style of play. Did not like his 3pt chucks. As I don't like KP's. The biggest argument regarding Melo, I had with most, was and is the fact Knick fans expected the team to win and blamed him solely for not doing so. I saw the failure instead in the Knicks organazation inability to put good pieces around him. Which, you would think, is a rational game plan if you just gave a star a 5 year extension with a NTC. Not to reset the roster amd add D Leaguers and guys coming off injuries and on a decline. You would have to agree that Noah, Rose and the sub par fringe NBA guys were not good pieces. Always said he was one of the best scorers we have ever had. Yes he was a very high usage player. Yes he was a shoot first scorer. But he was a guy that proved he could win if on the right roster. You take a look at last night's win and that's a game we lose without Timmy getting hot in 3rd and Kanter and KO good play. It's not like KP has replaced Melo with James Harden or Westbrook type facilitation.

Also, let's not discount the far bigger change this year. That the Triangle nor Phil's meddling is still anywhere in the organazation. Which i think is a bigger reason why the offense is free flowing. But let's not jinx it.

Melo Haters = Lin lovers who are mad Houston paid so much for his 15 Minutes,
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

10/31/2017  7:53 PM
GustavBahler wrote:I remember when Larry Bird came to my high school in NYC with the Celtics to practice in the gym, because the circus was in town. We were told we could watch them practice if we didn't talk.

I was on my free period, and of course made my way to the gym. I was the only person in the gym waiting for team to show up. In walks rookie Larry Bird, first one on the court. He sees me in the stands, psyched to watch a pro team in my gym. Lets out a very little smile. Walks up casually to the halfcourt line an drains it, nothing but net. Then proceeds not miss until the rest of the team shows up.

Got to see Magic his rookie year as well, among other teams. Nancy Lieberman was traveling with the Lakers. Was funny watching all these pros (including Magic) acting like high schoolers around her. You can tell they respected her game. Might have been the first time some of them played with a woman who had some real game.

Wow! Now This is a cool story...

reub
Member: #6227

10/31/2017  8:11 PM
PhilinLA wrote:KP is different from Bird, but he is a Franchise Player.

So we have the Franchise and the Frenchise on the same team.
Kemet
Member: #6148

10/31/2017  8:49 PM
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Welpee wrote:Saying KP is Larry Bird minus the passing is like saying Amare is Moses Malone minus the rebounding. If you can't pass like Larry Bird then you toss the comparison in the toilet.

Dirk is a much better comparison.

I think he can be better than Dirk because of the greater length. I mean Dirk was amazing, but I honestly think KP can be better. Maybe not from deep but midrange? Elbow? What we see this year vs. other years is he's simply feasting on shorter players from 12-15. That little turnaround feels like it goes in every time.

Hey... maybe he's just a really good player. Maybe he's a 30ppg scorer who gets 10 boards and 2 blocks a night but isnt the best passer. They can put that *on his hall of fame statue

Hey, I'm not complaining at all. But it is funny how if he has two bad games in a row we'll have a thread comparing him to Bargnani. Gotta love Knick fans.

I do think the Bird comparison is off base. They're just different types of players. Bird's vision and passing ability, not to mention his clutch gene, not to mention their physical difference, just makes the comparison pretty far off. I see more similarities with KD than Bird, though I guess having blond hair and a jump shot trumps all.

The comparison is off the wall .. Bird all-around performance played all 5 positions night after night for over a decade in the NBA .. the only NBA player u could compare next to Bird are Magic Johnson!

Its all good .. KP started the 2017-18 season performing as a all-star .. lets all be happy KP didnt start the season like the previous two seasons

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/31/2017  11:38 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:As soon as I saw the title, I was thinking, "yeah if you multiply KP's assists by 15!" But KP's scoring is looking great.

I am shock to see you post this when KPs TS% is 54.8. What have you done with the real Bonn imposter

LOL, well that is above average (I think - not sure the average for this year so far). I'm assuming his 3s will improve. The strange thing is that the team has been playing better with him off the court though. It's just a few games and probably random.

3s will improve? Didn't he just shoot around 60% from downtown?

The only things that trickle down are wages and horse shit
Bonn1997
USA
11/4/2017  7:57 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:As soon as I saw the title, I was thinking, "yeah if you multiply KP's assists by 15!" But KP's scoring is looking great.

I am shock to see you post this when KPs TS% is 54.8. What have you done with the real Bonn imposter

LOL, well that is above average (I think - not sure the average for this year so far). I'm assuming his 3s will improve. The strange thing is that the team has been playing better with him off the court though. It's just a few games and probably random.

3s will improve? Didn't he just shoot around 60% from downtown?

Just saw this. Are you talking about one game?
Bonn1997
USA
11/4/2017  8:02 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

I can see Melo reading this shaking his head saying " You never made that argument for me."

He's at .570 now, though the team was +6 with him off the floor and even with him on. I'm not really sure why the +/- numbers have been bad for him. I wish 82games would update so we could look at the numbers more closely. The team's per 100 #s do look a lot better with him on according to bball reference. KP's been able to handle the increased offensive burden much better than I expected overall.

The +/_ has gotten much better. I think earlier the bad +/_ was due to shared minutes with Kanter. KP is playing well now. He takes a ton of midrange shots, though, which normally isn't a good shot and is not the direction of the league. If he keeps his overall efficiency high, I can live with it. We'll have to see what happens.
Porzingis is Larry Bird

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.