Right now, Kanter is making Willy expendable
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/30/2017  11:49 AM
reub wrote:
anrst wrote:Kanter was benched 2 games ago b/c of horrific D.

both Kanter and KP don't pass. Willy is the guy to play with KP b/c of passing and chemistry.

KP should be the 5 and Kanter should spell KP with the second unit.

Kanter was benched for one quarter because he didn't get back fast enough on one play. Let's be honest here.

How can anyone watch KP so far and want him at the 5? This guy's scoring is magical. Lets these little stretch 4s guard him. Play KP at the 4. This is not even a debate anymore. Im glad we have 4 centers. PF is his future.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/30/2017  11:49 AM

both Kanter and KP don't pass. Willy is the guy to play with KP b/c of passing and chemistry.

And Willy had been benched for the same reason. If Willy played legit D, I would have second thoughts. You're right about the passing, although they started passing to each other last night. Including one nifty pass from KP, that Kanter couldnt finish.

We cant afford to pay Kanter and have him come off the bench, if he puts up big numbers this season, he is going to get paid. I like Willy, but I have to admit, this Twin Towers setup is enticing if KP and Kanter can make it work beyond this start.

GustavBahler

10/30/2017  11:57 AM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Paris907 wrote:So after 5 games you think Wily is expendable and that Kanter - ranked 63 of 66 fives last year- will take you to a championship? I’m not sure how good Wily will be but he was rookie 1st team and can board big time. Let’s see Kanter is a free agent and currently earning $18mm and Wily earns what? Rookie minimum. Noah earns 18 as well.

If you’re objective is to crawl into the playoffs Kanter May be your man. If it’s a championship, I’d stretch Noah, trade OQuinn and Kanter and hold Wily to determine how he develops. I’d also see if either Begley or #4 Draft Prospect would be available as athletic defensive two way 5s with upside are what will take us where we wanna go

Read it again, I said the way Kanter is playing now, will make Willy expendable, if Kanter keeps this up. Not that we should trade Willy after 5 games.

When Noah comes back there will be an even bigger logjam. If you move KOQ, Willy is still going to be coming off the bench if Kanter keeps playing this well. And probably hoping to be moved.

Stretching Noah is a bad idea IMO.

Keep am all. If this is really what Kanter is resign him. Trade KOQ. Sorry Noah. Start KP/Kanter. Bring Willy in off the bench. Lets see a little Willy at the 4 just to extend minutes if needed.

To me trading Willy is like when OKC traded Harding. Knicks dont have tax issues. We can afford to keep our talent.

I dont see Willy wanting to stay if he gets beat out this season for the starting job. Kanter is going to exercise his option and stay. Noah is being paid too much to sit at the end of the bench. If Noah is really playing more like his old self (not just old) he is going to be taking some of Willy's minutes as well.

I dont see a scenario where Willy is happy with this situation. Willy is already PO'd about the lack of PT, said as much in multiple interviews. Hope Jeff can find enough minutes to go around.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/30/2017  12:06 PM
Its a tough one since Kanter is making it a tough one. I'm coming around on Kanter as a keeper. Of course depending on what he is going to want to command. We have to be smart though and not outbid ourselves. But he is def a guy that comes in and produces pts and rebounds without plays being called for him. He basically is more seasoned then Willy. But once Willy gets that seasoning he is going to do what Kanter does plus create.

Noah is actually a very good compliment to that rotation to bring the defensive, ball moving, intangible big for 20 mins.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

10/30/2017  12:07 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Paris907 wrote:So after 5 games you think Wily is expendable and that Kanter - ranked 63 of 66 fives last year- will take you to a championship? I’m not sure how good Wily will be but he was rookie 1st team and can board big time. Let’s see Kanter is a free agent and currently earning $18mm and Wily earns what? Rookie minimum. Noah earns 18 as well.

If you’re objective is to crawl into the playoffs Kanter May be your man. If it’s a championship, I’d stretch Noah, trade OQuinn and Kanter and hold Wily to determine how he develops. I’d also see if either Begley or #4 Draft Prospect would be available as athletic defensive two way 5s with upside are what will take us where we wanna go

Read it again, I said the way Kanter is playing now, will make Willy expendable, if Kanter keeps this up. Not that we should trade Willy after 5 games.

When Noah comes back there will be an even bigger logjam. If you move KOQ, Willy is still going to be coming off the bench if Kanter keeps playing this well. And probably hoping to be moved.

Keep am all. If this is really what Kanter is resign him. Trade KOQ. Sorry Noah. Start KP/Kanter. Bring Willy in off the bench. Lets see a little Willy at the 4 just to extend minutes if needed.

To me trading Willy is like when OKC traded Harding. Knicks dont have tax issues. We can afford to keep our talent.

I dont see Willy wanting to stay if he gets beat out this season for the starting job. Kanter is going to exercise his option and stay. Noah is being paid too much to sit at the end of the bench. If Noah is really playing more like his old self (not just old) he is going to be taking some of Willy's minutes as well.

I dont see a scenario where Willy is happy with this situation. Willy is already PO'd about the lack of PT, said as much in multiple interviews. Hope Jeff can find enough minutes to go around.

im pretty positive Kanter opts out. If its a choice between overpaying kanter and tradibg willy for a small return i keep willy ever day of the week twice on sunday. Willy is too young and talented just to discard. Perry has pretty much said the same thing. Either oquinn and/ir kanter goes
GustavBahler

10/30/2017  12:13 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

im pretty positive Kanter opts out. If its a choice between overpaying kanter and tradibg willy for a small return i keep willy ever day of the week twice on sunday. Willy is too young and talented just to discard. Perry has pretty much said the same thing. Either oquinn and/ir kanter goes

As Gudris pointed out, Kanter has a good reason to stay. NYC has the largest Turkish community in the US. Kanter did in an interview on MSG, telling Rebecca how much he loved being in NYC playing for the Knicks, and being around his friends from Turkey. Thats some heavy duty incentive right there to stay for someone from another country. Who wants to be around his friends.

StarksEwing1

10/30/2017  12:18 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

As Gudris pointed out, Kanter has a good reason to stay. NYC has the largest Turkish community in the US. Kanter did in an interview on MSG, telling Rebecca how much he loved being in NYC playing for the Knicks, and being around his friends from Turkey. Thats some heavy duty incentive right there to stay for someone from another country. Who wants to be around his friends.

lets just see if people have the same opinions once he has a few games where he doesnt score as much and not able to do other things to help. Look i like what Kanter does but there is no chance in hell im giving willy away unless its a major return. Perry has said willy is pretty much untouchable anyway
GustavBahler

10/30/2017  12:23 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

lets just see if people have the same opinions once he has a few games where he doesnt score as much and not able to do other things to help. Look i like what Kanter does but there is no chance in hell im giving willy away unless its a major return. Perry has said willy is pretty much untouchable anyway

You're right its early. Like I said, Kanter would have to keep playing like this. I believe KP is the only untouchable player right now.

Kanter is having a good effect on the team. Showing KP how to be aggressive in the paint, and making Willy work on his D for PT.

StarksEwing1

10/30/2017  12:26 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

You're right its early. Like I said, Kanter would have to keep playing like this. I believe KP is the only untouchable player right now.

Kanter is having a good effect on the team. Showing KP how to be aggressive in the paint, and making Willy work on his D for PT.

personally i think willy can do the same if given the chance. Plus willy is a great passer. He is also locked up longterm for cheap...you dont just give up those type of young talents because the other big had some good offensive games
GustavBahler

10/30/2017  12:32 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

personally i think willy can do the same if given the chance. Plus willy is a great passer. He is also locked up longterm for cheap...you dont just give up those type of young talents because the other big had some good offensive games

No one has given up on Willy yet, just talk.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/30/2017  12:43 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

And Willy had been benched for the same reason. If Willy played legit D, I would have second thoughts. You're right about the passing, although they started passing to each other last night. Including one nifty pass from KP, that Kanter couldnt finish.

We cant afford to pay Kanter and have him come off the bench, if he puts up big numbers this season, he is going to get paid. I like Willy, but I have to admit, this Twin Towers setup is enticing if KP and Kanter can make it work beyond this start.

This is where the whole "value" argument is important. We shouldn't justify his playing time because of what he makes(salary). I see Kanters strengths as scoring, rebounding including some offensive rebounds. Willy's strengths are scoring, rebounding and some passing.
Neither really plays defense but both are trying in different ways
Kanter wont be as effective against teams with solid bigs like NOP (Will can pass pout better and keep the flow going)
Willy won't be as effective in games where KP/THJR are getting shut down (Kanter is the dominant scorer)

It's hard to say one is better fit than the other. But in the context of what they make Willy is much better value than Kanter, so would still rather trade Kanter than him.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

10/30/2017  1:21 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

This is where the whole "value" argument is important. We shouldn't justify his playing time because of what he makes(salary). I see Kanters strengths as scoring, rebounding including some offensive rebounds. Willy's strengths are scoring, rebounding and some passing.
Neither really plays defense but both are trying in different ways
Kanter wont be as effective against teams with solid bigs like NOP (Will can pass pout better and keep the flow going)
Willy won't be as effective in games where KP/THJR are getting shut down (Kanter is the dominant scorer)

It's hard to say one is better fit than the other. But in the context of what they make Willy is much better value than Kanter, so would still rather trade Kanter than him.

Hernangomez is also 2 years younger and has played in 375 less NBA games. The additional upside considering their lack of comparative experience also gets factored into the equation

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/30/2017  1:48 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

all true, but my point is Willy's happiness should not be the driving factor. He's 22 in the 2nd year of what is essentially a 4 year rookie deal. Yes he deserves minutes in the league. Who says Kanter has to start? I prefer him off the bench where he can be featured more. Both he and Willy deserve to play. Willy will be what? 25 when Noah expires? I am not letting Noah short term good play impact my plan with Willy. I think Willy is very Paul like... can play either 4/5.

Regardless Willy is going to have to cope and Knicks FO should be working the roster around keeping him long term. His time will come.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Welpee
Member: #6239

10/30/2017  3:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/30/2017  3:15 PM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

all true, but my point is Willy's happiness should not be the driving factor. He's 22 in the 2nd year of what is essentially a 4 year rookie deal. Yes he deserves minutes in the league. Who says Kanter has to start? I prefer him off the bench where he can be featured more. Both he and Willy deserve to play. Willy will be what? 25 when Noah expires? I am not letting Noah short term good play impact my plan with Willy. I think Willy is very Paul like... can play either 4/5.

Regardless Willy is going to have to cope and Knicks FO should be working the roster around keeping him long term. His time will come.

I thought 2nd round picks had a shorter commitment obligation to their team compared to 1st round picks.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/30/2017  3:18 PM
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I thought 2nd round picks had a shorter commitment obligation to their team compared to 1st round picks.

They do, team can sign them to whatever type of contract and years they want, and Knicks did good with a 4 year deal

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/30/2017  3:22 PM
I THINK a lot depends on where we are as team by the trade deadline, it also depends on what you get for him. if the return is high, and helps now and later.. It's a no brainer.

No reason you can't trade willy and get him back when he's ready like we did with THJ, similar to what the yanks did with chapman. Traded him for top prospects, then signed as a FA..

He will be more than happy to comeback and play with his buddy

ES
Right now, Kanter is making Willy expendable

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy