[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Willie should be the starter
Author Thread
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

10/25/2017  12:27 PM
Nalod wrote:MOst of the comments are based on what we see. Willy got some junk time.
Most are about offense. All we really know is Willy is behind on the defense.
Last year Willy was on the bench, worked his way into the rotation bigly.
I expect either by trade or by merit willy will work his way back.
Losing sucks. But in a division with Philly and Boston, both with great youth its not to our benefit to compromise on rebuilding.
We don't have the assets to for massive upgrade either like boston did.
Jaylen Brown in his 2nd or third year. WE slamming out yoots after three games.
Boston did something very smart, they likely did not want Fultz and got the guy they wanted. Ball was not for them either. They wanted Tatum.
Kid going to get lots of opportunity with Haywood out.
Im not worried about Boston or philly, but remember Philly to get in this position made some moves that has not panned out and have been snake bit. Norlens was not all they hoped, OK4 seems to have regressed some (jury still out) and Simmons missed a year. Embiid fell in the draft because of his injury. They have been in hell for years.
We been in hell for just three years but we did not have all our no. 1 picks!

Its a long road. Tune in or tune out.

Bostons Rookie did look good.

Like to add on how funny it is when guys on here claim to have more insight then the coach on who should be starting or getting the playing time. Coach sees these guys every day. Sees them scrimage and practice. They know quite well what Willy is not doing and Kanter and KO is. Kanter has looked good. KO has played decent as well.

When was the last time a fan was right about some dude they claimed should be getting more playing time? All those fan favorites that eventually were given a chance quickly proved why they werent given the oportunity to do so. ie. Jimmer. Chase Randle..etc etc.

Think the coach is trying to win games!! What ALL coaches do. Yes the time will come where he has to just play the young guys and give them an education. But for some fans to say that he should give up on winning, at the start of the season, is ridiculous.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
10/25/2017  12:37 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:MOst of the comments are based on what we see. Willy got some junk time.
Losing sucks. But in a division with Philly and Boston, both with great youth its not to our benefit to compromise on rebuilding.
Boston did something very smart, they likely did not want Fultz and got the guy they wanted. Ball was not for them either. They wanted Tatum.
Im not worried about Boston or philly, but remember Philly to get in this position made some moves that has not panned out and have been snake bit. Norlens was not all they hoped, OK4 seems to have regressed some (jury still out) and Simmons missed a year. Embiid fell in the draft because of his injury. They have been in hell for years.

Like to add on how funny it is when guys on here claim to have more insight then the coach on who should be starting or getting the playing time. Coach sees these guys every day. Sees them scrimage and practice. They know quite well what Willy is not doing and Kanter and KO is. Kanter has looked good. KO has played decent as well.

When was the last time a fan was right about some dude they claimed should be getting more playing time? All those fan favorites that eventually were given a chance quickly proved why they werent given the oportunity to do so. ie. Jimmer. Chase Randle..etc etc.

Think the coach is trying to win games!! What ALL coaches do. Yes the time will come where he has to just play the young guys and give them an education. But for some fans to say that he should give up on winning, at the start of the season, is ridiculous.

Jeff is falling for that anything from outside must be better than what we have. The thing that gets this organization in trouble time and time again.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/25/2017  1:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/25/2017  1:49 PM
IDK about starter right now, but he should be getting more burn. Especially when the team is down by double digits, and the offense is stagnating. Willy keeps the ball moving, which sometimes does the trick.
OldFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #446
10/25/2017  7:23 PM
We need to trade a big. There are only so many minutes to go around. If Noah comes back ready to play it will get worse. All of these guys have holes in their game, no matter who plays some fans will want someone else.

Kanter has given us more than I would have expected and I actually think Willy vs Kanter is the least of our problems.

Some leadership - particularly from the guards is needed.

Off the floor, I think our front office and coach are probably still trying to figure out how to work together.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/26/2017  9:04 AM
Best we can do is speculate. Somewhere some a trade perhaps did not fall or happen yet.
The Whole season cant ride on a 19 year old rookie. safe to say at least he will be an improvement.

But let’s be real, if you going to tank we going about it the right way. Let KP grow into “The man”, easy with the kid, be hard on the rookies to earn their minutes. Trades and “seasoning” will happen. My only concern is team comments about being unorganized.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/26/2017  11:40 AM
OldFan wrote:We need to trade a big. There are only so many minutes to go around. If Noah comes back ready to play it will get worse. All of these guys have holes in their game, no matter who plays some fans will want someone else.

Kanter has given us more than I would have expected and I actually think Willy vs Kanter is the least of our problems.

Some leadership - particularly from the guards is needed.

Off the floor, I think our front office and coach are probably still trying to figure out how to work together.

Facts....

Its about the team, not satisfying your favorite player.

Mathematics.... Willy has the biggest upside and the smallest contract. We could get something good for him. We simply can't survive with all these centers. We still have Kornet in the G league too. Willy is good, pause. But our small fwd and point guards suck

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
10/26/2017  3:12 PM
It’s not a race. It’s a rebuild. One piece at a time. Hooefully the draft will be as fruitful as projected and one of our needs will be met
Welpee
Member: #6239

10/26/2017  4:06 PM
The level of overrating Willy and Baker is unbelievable. I like Willy. I think he should get more minutes and I think he has potential but Kanter has been very solid in my opinion.
Kemet
Member: #6148

10/26/2017  4:09 PM
Willy is a decent Big that could use a veteran mentor to show him skills at the PF position and the center position. Second-season Willy should be in a lineup with Noah, or Kanter, or Quinn. Not KP!
KP also need a Big-Man mentor because KP has been clueless as a Big inside 10 feet of the basket.

When the Knicks traded Melo for Kanter n Mcderm it became common knowledge to any NBA sports fan that the Knicks will have to play BIG-Ball after the Melo trade. Horn and Rambis did not get the memo, nor did the two coaches put any effort into putting together a rotation where he uses 4 bigs (Kanter, KP, Quinn, and Willy).
Each game the Knicks played at the start of the season look like the Knicks head coach are only good for TANKING.

Why Quinn n Willy are not in the same lineup coming off the bench only show that our coaching-staff are clueless of developing the young-players on our roster.

Kemet

10/26/2017  4:43 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

We have fans 10 times smarter than the entire Knicks coaching staff .. the sentence the Knicks has a roster of young-players mean the young-players need coaching-development. KP is/are a bigger project in his 3rd season than he were in his rookie season.
There's a article where Lee mention in the post game interview after the Knicks got blown-out by Boston, Lee mention how so many of the Knicks players dont know the plays, and Lee weren't talking bout Kanter n Mcderm the last players put on the roster.

The Knicks need Willy Kanter n Quinn in the rotation because all 3 Bigs know how to pass the ball out of the post plus put up a good screen, and most important they dont clam-up like a chump when opponents get extra physical in the 2nd half of the game.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/26/2017  5:15 PM
I agree that Willy should be the starter. He compliments KPs game more than Kanter. Kanter can actually feast on the 2nd unit.
Kemet

10/26/2017  5:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/26/2017  5:29 PM
NYKBocker wrote:I agree that Willy should be the starter. He compliments KPs game more than Kanter. Kanter can actually feast on the 2nd unit.

Kanter has NBA experience as a Starter n as a Finisher .. that can not be said bout KP or Willy's young raw performance.
KP and Willy are decent back-up players off the bench.
Noah has the best experience n leadership as a BIG on the roster n should be put as the Knicks starter center after his suspension.

Willie should be the starter

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy