[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Willy/Jeff?
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/23/2017  3:24 PM
Paris907 wrote:I don’t see Kanter the great. His +|- is deep in the red and he never gets an assist. His defense was 63 outnof 66
Centers in the league. That smacks of no interest and immobility.

I’ll take Wily. With Bledsoe in play, I’d package Kenter and his $18Mm along with Lee and pluck Bledsoe plus 1.

Kanter scores and grabs boards at a pace almost no bigs can match. His perfect role was OKC's 25ish minutes a game where he's a bulldozer and fills out the stat sheet but you get him out of there before the shortcomings bite you.

I could see Kanter in a nice bigman rotation for sure. He's a poor defender but brings other things. In the right role he could be very good. He's very tough to deal with. When there are other good players around him he feasts even more.

Well see... I would be good with trading Kanter and KOQ and going with Willy/KP/Noah up front and trying to replace Noah in the draft next couple years.

fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
AUTOADVERT
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
10/23/2017  4:20 PM
I've been fascinating by how teams in the NBA make playing time decisions on certain players.

When I see Kanter, I basically see Al Jefferson or Zach Randolph - a powerful bulldozing big man who looks the part. Scores, rebounds, soft hands. Looks like a man among boys in the paint - seems like you could pencil in 20/10 for the next 5-8 years with him. Yet Kanter has had a hard time earning true starter (30+mpg) minutes over the course of his career. Is that Jefferson and Randolph's teams were more lenient with the lack of D? (Amare Stoudemire also fit this mold, tho his athleticism was so off the charts that you overlooked his lack of fundamentals)

I hate to bring it up, you have players like Nate Robinson - who in my opinion, on the right team, had the talent to produce like Iverson - with a more rugged body. The league didn't want another Iverson because in spite of his production, it didn't equate to team basketball. You saw the diminutive Isaiah Thomas limited in Sacto and Phoenix before becoming an MVP-type candidate on the Celtics.

So all I'm getting at here is some players look like they have "it"... but just need to be unleashed, warts and all. Then you determine how you can compensate for their weaknesses with the supporting cast.

As an aside...
I remember reading an article about Dennis Rodman - how he was a defensive demon with Detroit, but as he got older, the stats made him out to be a mediocre defender. Rodman surmised that securing the rebounds was more valuable than defense as it secured the possession. He made it his mission to get the possession rather than stop the shot.

Basically, the point is - as long as Kanter isn't giving up layups and dunks all the time, take your chances with him and bank on his rebounding skills.

Kevin Dolorico | "That was two, two from the heart." - John Starks
martin
Alba Posts: 106
Member: #2
USA
10/23/2017  4:26 PM
technomaster wrote:I've been fascinating by how teams in the NBA make playing time decisions on certain players.

When I see Kanter, I basically see Al Jefferson or Zach Randolph - a powerful bulldozing big man who looks the part. Scores, rebounds, soft hands. Looks like a man among boys in the paint - seems like you could pencil in 20/10 for the next 5-8 years with him. Yet Kanter has had a hard time earning true starter (30+mpg) minutes over the course of his career. Is that Jefferson and Randolph's teams were more lenient with the lack of D? (Amare Stoudemire also fit this mold, tho his athleticism was so off the charts that you overlooked his lack of fundamentals)

I hate to bring it up, you have players like Nate Robinson - who in my opinion, on the right team, had the talent to produce like Iverson - with a more rugged body. The league didn't want another Iverson because in spite of his production, it didn't equate to team basketball. You saw the diminutive Isaiah Thomas limited in Sacto and Phoenix before becoming an MVP-type candidate on the Celtics.

So all I'm getting at here is some players look like they have "it"... but just need to be unleashed, warts and all. Then you determine how you can compensate for their weaknesses with the supporting cast.

As an aside...
I remember reading an article about Dennis Rodman - how he was a defensive demon with Detroit, but as he got older, the stats made him out to be a mediocre defender. Rodman surmised that securing the rebounds was more valuable than defense as it secured the possession. He made it his mission to get the possession rather than stop the shot.

Basically, the point is - as long as Kanter isn't giving up layups and dunks all the time, take your chances with him and bank on his rebounding skills.

For Kanter specifically, it was also about who was playing in front of him and the composition of the starting vs backup units.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Swishfm3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #392
10/23/2017  6:52 PM
technomaster wrote:I've been fascinating by how teams in the NBA make playing time decisions on certain players.

As an aside...

The way the Sixers did with Iverson....and how the Knicks should have done with Melo.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/23/2017  7:17 PM
Swishfm3 wrote:

As an aside...

The way the Sixers did with Iverson....and how the Knicks should have done with Melo.

The knicks are famous for getting players and then not getting other players to compliment them.

Look at us now, we have kP, and nobody else to take the scoring load off of him, so will run him to the ground like we did Amare and Melo.

I remember riley said he didn't want to do that with wade, and traded for 31 yr old shaq, and won a ring

ES
Willy/Jeff?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.