[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Willy/Jeff?
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Posts: 55242
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
10/22/2017  1:07 AM
Watched the Yankee game and missed the Knick game and post game. Is Bondy's tweet accurate?
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
AUTOADVERT
martin
Posts: 46304
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
10/22/2017  1:12 AM
Bondy is a douche, that’s all we need to know
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Posts: 55242
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
10/22/2017  1:16 AM
martin wrote:Bondy is a douche, that’s all we need to know

That is why I asked. It looked like a quote. Is it from the coach's conference? I think they pts that on the MSG site. I want to see the quote in context if it was said. I have to figure out the DVD for fubotv. I ave been pissed off for almost two hours because there is a Sabres ewind and not a Knick rewind.
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
martin
Posts: 46304
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
10/22/2017  1:24 AM
Realistically KP gonna get ~35 minutes at PF spot, and you got 3 eligible Cs right now. One has got to sit.

I hate KOQ but he deserved minutes and Kanter had a fantastic first half.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Posts: 55242
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
10/22/2017  1:35 AM
martin wrote:Realistically KP gonna get ~35 minutes at PF spot, and you got 3 eligible Cs right now. One has got to sit.

I hate KOQ but he deserved minutes and Kanter had a fantastic first half.

Kanter is really good. I think Willy should be paying over KOQ. Hopefully there is a reason why Jeff/management bumped Willy out of the core.
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
martin
Posts: 46304
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
10/22/2017  1:48 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:Realistically KP gonna get ~35 minutes at PF spot, and you got 3 eligible Cs right now. One has got to sit.

I hate KOQ but he deserved minutes and Kanter had a fantastic first half.

Kanter is really good. I think Willy should be paying over KOQ. Hopefully there is a reason why Jeff/management bumped Willy out of the core.

Defense. KOQ playing it better than Willy, according to coaching staff

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
Posts: 46304
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
10/22/2017  2:30 AM
From Ian Begley:

Jeff Hornacek said management has told him to play the players who do the most to earn their minutes and he's given playing time at center so far to Enes Kanter and Kyle O'Quinn over Willy Hernangomez. "Well, every summer that you come back it's a competition and guys, they earn their minutes through training camp and through exhibition season," Hornacek said Saturday when asked about Hernangomez. "Willy's done well, (it's) just something the other guys have done a little bit more. So the focus is on defense and that's one thing that we want him to get better at as a young player. We're trying to emphasize things to these guys that don't get repeated. All of the sudden, ‘Okay, I see, I understand,' and they fix it. And Willy's working on that. He's doing a great job. He comes to practice every day and practices hard. His opportunities will come." Steve Mills and Scott Perry both wrote that Hernangomez was part of the team's young core it hopes to develop, so it's a bit odd to see Hernangomez stuck to the bench. But Hornacek pointed out that those statements from Mills and Perry were made before the Kanter trade. "It's a tough spot," Hornacek said. "But that's when guys step up. I think Willy will too."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nyknickzingis
Posts: 22706
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/8/2015
Member: #6207

10/22/2017  7:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/22/2017  8:02 AM
I think KOQ is in a contract year, and likely gets traded before trade deadline. There's no way I see the Knicks paying him to keep him as another big on the roster. KP can even play some 5. At this dirt cheap contract, KOQ is a bargain, but not summer 2018. Think playing him is smart, he will get traded eventually, in my opinion.

With Willy, I think they still view him as the starter or longterm guy, because like KOQ, Kanter could be a free agent as well. Depends on the market and what his agent advises him, but I could see Kanter get a big offer in the summer. They could lose him, he is unrestricted.

Willy is being pushed to get better, to play the sort of defense that will make him a valuable starter in the NBA. I think they also want him to roll harder and set stronger picks. That is essential from the 5 man. He can do many things he is extremely skilled.

Longterm I see the pecking order as follows

Willy/Kanter (if he can be re-signed for a good deal)/Noah (If he comes back as an asset)
Porzingis
Dotson
Hardaway
Ntilikina/Baker

Unfortunately think we are stuck with Noah and Hardaway for a few years. Noah will have a bounce back year this year, I'm sure of it. If Kanter walks, suddenly we have a bigger need for Noah and we may not even think of stretching his contract next summer. Hardaway will be who he has been, an inconsistent starting level shooting guard. Only value is age. At that price, we're stuck with him for a while.

Dotson can play and belongs in the league. I like him even more than Tim because he's a two way guy.
Frank needs time but the talent is there, and Ron is a good backup for a team like ours.

Sessions, Lee, Thomas, O'Quinn. To me these guys are just short term players who will be traded or let go within the coming year.

martin
Posts: 46304
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
10/22/2017  10:18 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:I think KOQ is in a contract year, and likely gets traded before trade deadline. There's no way I see the Knicks paying him to keep him as another big on the roster. KP can even play some 5. At this dirt cheap contract, KOQ is a bargain, but not summer 2018. Think playing him is smart, he will get traded eventually, in my opinion.

With Willy, I think they still view him as the starter or longterm guy, because like KOQ, Kanter could be a free agent as well. Depends on the market and what his agent advises him, but I could see Kanter get a big offer in the summer. They could lose him, he is unrestricted.

Willy is being pushed to get better, to play the sort of defense that will make him a valuable starter in the NBA. I think they also want him to roll harder and set stronger picks. That is essential from the 5 man. He can do many things he is extremely skilled.

Longterm I see the pecking order as follows

Willy/Kanter (if he can be re-signed for a good deal)/Noah (If he comes back as an asset)
Porzingis
Dotson
Hardaway
Ntilikina/Baker

Unfortunately think we are stuck with Noah and Hardaway for a few years. Noah will have a bounce back year this year, I'm sure of it. If Kanter walks, suddenly we have a bigger need for Noah and we may not even think of stretching his contract next summer. Hardaway will be who he has been, an inconsistent starting level shooting guard. Only value is age. At that price, we're stuck with him for a while.

Dotson can play and belongs in the league. I like him even more than Tim because he's a two way guy.
Frank needs time but the talent is there, and Ron is a good backup for a team like ours.

Sessions, Lee, Thomas, O'Quinn. To me these guys are just short term players who will be traded or let go within the coming year.

+1

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
Posts: 55244
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/22/2017  11:48 AM
martin wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:I think KOQ is in a contract year, and likely gets traded before trade deadline. There's no way I see the Knicks paying him to keep him as another big on the roster. KP can even play some 5. At this dirt cheap contract, KOQ is a bargain, but not summer 2018. Think playing him is smart, he will get traded eventually, in my opinion.

With Willy, I think they still view him as the starter or longterm guy, because like KOQ, Kanter could be a free agent as well. Depends on the market and what his agent advises him, but I could see Kanter get a big offer in the summer. They could lose him, he is unrestricted.

Willy is being pushed to get better, to play the sort of defense that will make him a valuable starter in the NBA. I think they also want him to roll harder and set stronger picks. That is essential from the 5 man. He can do many things he is extremely skilled.

Longterm I see the pecking order as follows

Willy/Kanter (if he can be re-signed for a good deal)/Noah (If he comes back as an asset)
Porzingis
Dotson
Hardaway
Ntilikina/Baker

Unfortunately think we are stuck with Noah and Hardaway for a few years. Noah will have a bounce back year this year, I'm sure of it. If Kanter walks, suddenly we have a bigger need for Noah and we may not even think of stretching his contract next summer. Hardaway will be who he has been, an inconsistent starting level shooting guard. Only value is age. At that price, we're stuck with him for a while.

Dotson can play and belongs in the league. I like him even more than Tim because he's a two way guy.
Frank needs time but the talent is there, and Ron is a good backup for a team like ours.

Sessions, Lee, Thomas, O'Quinn. To me these guys are just short term players who will be traded or let go within the coming year.

+1

+2 😬

MS
Posts: 25866
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/28/2004
Member: #724
10/22/2017  12:17 PM
How many times do we have to sign a guy to a big money long term deal and regret it immediately.

This job is not that hard. This team has been terrible for 15 seasons, the fan base is more than patient, but year after year we panic and hand out big deals. Just because the market is where it is doesn’t mean you can’t find value.

Jonathan Simmons was begging for a team and could have been had on a short tradable deal and play the small forward position.

Hardaway JR is one of the top 5 worst contracts in the league. You don’t overpay, Chandler Parsons, Fournier, Crabbe, Holiday.

We just grabbed Dotson for peanuts. We got Willy for nothing. Just let the other teams fill their rosters with garbage contracts and don’t add someone unless they play both sides of the ball or are a superstar.

knicks1248
Posts: 36273
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
10/22/2017  12:20 PM
We would be saying the same thing about Kanter if Willy was the one getting the minutes.

The Bottom line is the knicks has one of the most lopsided rosters in the nba. We have 4 sf, 5 centers. Weknew coming in someone was going to get place on the back burner, and with skill sets being so close, it's thin line between playing and sitting.

Perry has couple of assets in KOQ, Willy, and lance that can net us a solid pg

ES
StarksEwing1
Posts: 29895
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/28/2012
Member: #4451

10/22/2017  12:32 PM
knicks1248 wrote:We would be saying the same thing about Kanter if Willy was the one getting the minutes.

The Bottom line is the knicks has one of the most lopsided rosters in the nba. We have 4 sf, 5 centers. Weknew coming in someone was going to get place on the back burner, and with skill sets being so close, it's thin line between playing and sitting.

Perry has couple of assets in KOQ, Willy, and lance that can net us a solid pg

didnt you say willy was a scrub not long ago?
TPercy
Posts: 24619
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/5/2014
Member: #5748

10/22/2017  12:49 PM
MS wrote:How many times do we have to sign a guy to a big money long term deal and regret it immediately.

This job is not that hard. This team has been terrible for 15 seasons, the fan base is more than patient, but year after year we panic and hand out big deals. Just because the market is where it is doesn’t mean you can’t find value.

Jonathan Simmons was begging for a team and could have been had on a short tradable deal and play the small forward position.

Hardaway JR is one of the top 5 worst contracts in the league. You don’t overpay, Chandler Parsons, Fournier, Crabbe, Holiday.

We just grabbed Dotson for peanuts. We got Willy for nothing. Just let the other teams fill their rosters with garbage contracts and don’t add someone unless they play both sides of the ball or are a superstar.

Hardaway has played less than 50 minutes of regular season basketball. Even within those poor games he showed positives we didn't see from Hardaway during his entire tenure in NY. You think we can give him a little bit more time before rushing to this conclusion? I'm just as guilty of overreacting to a small sample size as anyone but I think we can give a little bit more patience here.

The Future is Bright!
Caseloads
Posts: 26645
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/29/2001
Member: #41
10/22/2017  1:47 PM
TPercy wrote:
MS wrote:How many times do we have to sign a guy to a big money long term deal and regret it immediately.

This job is not that hard. This team has been terrible for 15 seasons, the fan base is more than patient, but year after year we panic and hand out big deals. Just because the market is where it is doesn’t mean you can’t find value.

Jonathan Simmons was begging for a team and could have been had on a short tradable deal and play the small forward position.

Hardaway JR is one of the top 5 worst contracts in the league. You don’t overpay, Chandler Parsons, Fournier, Crabbe, Holiday.

We just grabbed Dotson for peanuts. We got Willy for nothing. Just let the other teams fill their rosters with garbage contracts and don’t add someone unless they play both sides of the ball or are a superstar.

Hardaway has played less than 50 minutes of regular season basketball. Even within those poor games he showed positives we didn't see from Hardaway during his entire tenure in NY. You think we can give him a little bit more time before rushing to this conclusion? I'm just as guilty of overreacting to a small sample size as anyone but I think we can give a little bit more patience here.

hardaway sucks until proven otherwise, especially with the contract given by dumb management

Caseloads
Posts: 26645
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/29/2001
Member: #41
10/22/2017  1:47 PM
MS wrote:How many times do we have to sign a guy to a big money long term deal and regret it immediately.

This job is not that hard. This team has been terrible for 15 seasons, the fan base is more than patient, but year after year we panic and hand out big deals. Just because the market is where it is doesn’t mean you can’t find value.

Jonathan Simmons was begging for a team and could have been had on a short tradable deal and play the small forward position.

Hardaway JR is one of the top 5 worst contracts in the league. You don’t overpay, Chandler Parsons, Fournier, Crabbe, Holiday.

We just grabbed Dotson for peanuts. We got Willy for nothing. Just let the other teams fill their rosters with garbage contracts and don’t add someone unless they play both sides of the ball or are a superstar.


all the time, period. we are the knicks and can't help ourselves
TPercy
Posts: 24619
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/5/2014
Member: #5748

10/22/2017  1:59 PM
Caseloads wrote:
TPercy wrote:
MS wrote:How many times do we have to sign a guy to a big money long term deal and regret it immediately.

This job is not that hard. This team has been terrible for 15 seasons, the fan base is more than patient, but year after year we panic and hand out big deals. Just because the market is where it is doesn’t mean you can’t find value.

Jonathan Simmons was begging for a team and could have been had on a short tradable deal and play the small forward position.

Hardaway JR is one of the top 5 worst contracts in the league. You don’t overpay, Chandler Parsons, Fournier, Crabbe, Holiday.

We just grabbed Dotson for peanuts. We got Willy for nothing. Just let the other teams fill their rosters with garbage contracts and don’t add someone unless they play both sides of the ball or are a superstar.

Hardaway has played less than 50 minutes of regular season basketball. Even within those poor games he showed positives we didn't see from Hardaway during his entire tenure in NY. You think we can give him a little bit more time before rushing to this conclusion? I'm just as guilty of overreacting to a small sample size as anyone but I think we can give a little bit more patience here.

hardaway sucks until proven otherwise, especially with the contract given by dumb management

That is just stupid logic. So his time in Atlanta means absolutely nothing? How does the contract management give him relate to his value as a player? If anything it would suggest he is a really good player.

The Future is Bright!
EnySpree
Posts: 43898
Alba Posts: 138
Joined: 4/18/2003
Member: #397

10/22/2017  3:28 PM
Maybe Perry doesn't want Willy to get hurt. Kanter might really be getting showcased
You know why I'm here....
reub
Posts: 21273
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2016
Member: #6227

10/22/2017  5:07 PM
Willy hardly played for Spain in Eurobaskets 2017 either but you never heard a peep out of him. He's talented but he needs a fire lit under him.
meloshouldgo
Posts: 23947
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/3/2014
Member: #5801

10/22/2017  5:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/22/2017  5:28 PM
What exactly is Kanter showing on defense again? KOQ is the sane level as last year and Willy beat him out.
It sounds like Willy has a higher bar set for him and Jeff is playing cute.
The only things that trickle down are wages and horse shit
Willy/Jeff?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.