[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Official Frank Ntilikina Versus DSJr Thread
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/22/2018  5:17 PM
Really hope Frank comes back with some offense next season. If he still wont attack, pretty sure that will be his ceiling. Posters can pull up the stats of some other rookie PG from another era. Different game, different rules. Frustrating to see a top ten PG lottery pick (even as raw as Frank) being so allergic to the rim. Knicks need another answer for next season. Cant wait on Frank.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/22/2018  5:36 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Really hope Frank comes back with some offense next season. If he still wont attack, pretty sure that will be his ceiling. Posters can pull up the stats of some other rookie PG from another era. Different game, different rules. Frustrating to see a top ten PG lottery pick (even as raw as Frank) being so allergic to the rim. Knicks need another answer for next season. Cant wait on Frank.

so after 4 months you are pretty set on his next season?

For me, same types of things were being said about KP and his ability to do typical big man stuff like post up and back players down.

Patience

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/22/2018  5:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2018  5:52 PM
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Welpee wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Welpee wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:The thing that I look for is to see if he is a special player. And "Special" players have a killer insticnt, ability to know when take over a game, embracing the spotlight, ridiculous level of self confidence and are never afraid to take the big shot. Things I dont think Frank has naturally. And to be fair, not too many do. Hopefully he will improve in some but most of these are not something you can teach or learn with time. You either have it or you dont. Its what seperates the special from the average. IMO, DS and Mitchell have IT.
You are also describing JR Smith and Monta Ellis. Why does scoring seem to be the only facet of the game to make one "special?"

So your declaring a first year player the same as guys that have dissapointed in the league for years and can score, just to try to throw some dirt on Smith, yeah that's not generalizing. Seems logical and factual. To answer your question about scoring. Have you been watching the NBA LATELY? Who is winning chips. Teams with ONE good defender? Defense is a team concept. The teams that are winning chips are teams that have multiple high level scorers. Period. It's no longer the YMCA, 80' Piston type basketball winning. So everyone can keep pretending that this is why we all looked forward to the draft after a ****ty season. And that Frank was a solid 8 pick. But sure..let's wait and see. Im just worried because it seems like the same guys arguing with me about Frank are the same ones who thought Phil would be around for ever. Triangle was going to be our future offense. Grant was a good player. It was ok that Timmy, JR and Shump were traded for basically nothing. And that Noah was a good value pick up. But what do I know, maybe I am wrong on this ones.

You're talking about basically two scenarios: 1) GSW - one of the greatest collections of talent in NBA history; or 2) any team the greatest player of this generation played on (Lebron). [b]Those are the teams who have won a championship lately...unless you count the Spurs, or the Lakers, or the Mavericks, or the Pistons. But I'm sure you find a way to say they don't count, right?

"The teams that are winning chips are teams that have multiple high level scorers"

Yes GS is one. Lebron never won a chip by himself. He needed multiple high level scorers as well. Unless you don't consider Bosh and Wade in that category. My point.

"Who is winning chips. Teams with ONE good defender? Defense is a team concept"

Name the team?

"Those are the teams who have won a championship lately...unless you count the Spurs, or the Lakers, or the Mavericks, or the Pistons. But I'm sure you find a way to say they don't count, right?"

Really? Lakers didn't have multiple high level scorers? Shaq and Kobe? The Spurs had other teams best players lined up to play for Vets minimum. You may want to check those teams rosters before you claim they won it with ONE elite defender. And again, as I said above, defense is a TEAM concept.

Sure... defense is a TEAM concept. Until you have half a roster of guys who cant and dont play it. Than its a team PROBLEM.

You win nothing without top flight defense.

Okay. Winning Basketball talk? I'll play.... you win nothing without at least 3 elite scorers and NO liabilities on offense. Of course you need a good defense. My argument was with someone stating you need just ONE elite defender. Btw. You put Smith or Mitchell on this team and we have at least a 5 to 10 game differential.

But okay. Again, you guys can keep defending Frank playing like a successful lottery pick and making it about me dogging the kid.

I will start including the links to the Suns site where they are still defended Alex Len, the Kings defending Nik Stauskas as 8th pcik, Sixer fans posting Noels defensive stats, etc etc.

Once again, I hope he turns it around. Not willing to trade him. Not willing to give up on him. Just stating the facts. He has to pick up his play. He needs to work on his offensive confidence. And he has not played like a excellent lottery pick. To his defense, I have always said the draft is like playing Lotto. However, picking a 19 year old foreign player seemed like even tougher odds to me.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall

1/22/2018  5:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2018  6:05 PM

Thread contribution.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
1/22/2018  6:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2018  6:11 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Welpee wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Welpee wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:The thing that I look for is to see if he is a special player. And "Special" players have a killer insticnt, ability to know when take over a game, embracing the spotlight, ridiculous level of self confidence and are never afraid to take the big shot. Things I dont think Frank has naturally. And to be fair, not too many do. Hopefully he will improve in some but most of these are not something you can teach or learn with time. You either have it or you dont. Its what seperates the special from the average. IMO, DS and Mitchell have IT.
You are also describing JR Smith and Monta Ellis. Why does scoring seem to be the only facet of the game to make one "special?"

So your declaring a first year player the same as guys that have dissapointed in the league for years and can score, just to try to throw some dirt on Smith, yeah that's not generalizing. Seems logical and factual. To answer your question about scoring. Have you been watching the NBA LATELY? Who is winning chips. Teams with ONE good defender? Defense is a team concept. The teams that are winning chips are teams that have multiple high level scorers. Period. It's no longer the YMCA, 80' Piston type basketball winning. So everyone can keep pretending that this is why we all looked forward to the draft after a ****ty season. And that Frank was a solid 8 pick. But sure..let's wait and see. Im just worried because it seems like the same guys arguing with me about Frank are the same ones who thought Phil would be around for ever. Triangle was going to be our future offense. Grant was a good player. It was ok that Timmy, JR and Shump were traded for basically nothing. And that Noah was a good value pick up. But what do I know, maybe I am wrong on this ones.

You're talking about basically two scenarios: 1) GSW - one of the greatest collections of talent in NBA history; or 2) any team the greatest player of this generation played on (Lebron). [b]Those are the teams who have won a championship lately...unless you count the Spurs, or the Lakers, or the Mavericks, or the Pistons. But I'm sure you find a way to say they don't count, right?

"The teams that are winning chips are teams that have multiple high level scorers"

Yes GS is one. Lebron never won a chip by himself. He needed multiple high level scorers as well. Unless you don't consider Bosh and Wade in that category. My point.

Name the team?

"Those are the teams who have won a championship lately...unless you count the Spurs, or the Lakers, or the Mavericks, or the Pistons. But I'm sure you find a way to say they don't count, right?"

Really? Lakers didn't have multiple high level scorers? Shaq and Kobe? The Spurs had other teams best players lined up to play for Vets minimum. You may want to check those teams rosters before you claim they won it with ONE elite defender. And again, as I said above, defense is a TEAM concept.

Sure... defense is a TEAM concept. Until you have half a roster of guys who cant and dont play it. Than its a team PROBLEM.

Okay. Winning Basketball talk? I'll play.... you win nothing without at least 3 elite scorers and NO liabilities on offense. Of course you need a good defense. My argument was with someone stating you need just ONE elite defender. Btw. You put Smith or Mitchell on this team and we have at least a 5 to 10 game differential.

But okay. Again, you guys can keep defending Frank playing like a successful lottery pick and making it about me dogging the kid.

I will start including the links to the Suns site where they are still defended Alex Len, the Kings defending Nik Stauskas as 8th pcik, Sixer fans posting Noels defensive stats, etc etc.

Once again, I hope he turns it around. Not willing to trade him. Not willing to give up on him. Just stating the facts. He has to pick up his play. He needs to work on his offensive confidence. And he has not played like a excellent lottery pick. To his defense, I have always said the draft is like playing Lotto. However, picking a 19 year old foreign player seemed like even tougher odds to me.

You have to put things in proper perspective! How is Frank showing he's somehow not in the conversation as far as Prospects? Just increase his scoring and you're talking about a heck of player!

http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&PlayerPosition=G&PlayerExperience=Rookie&DateTo=01%2F21%2F2018&CF=GP*GE*32

GustavBahler

1/22/2018  6:35 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Really hope Frank comes back with some offense next season. If he still wont attack, pretty sure that will be his ceiling. Posters can pull up the stats of some other rookie PG from another era. Different game, different rules. Frustrating to see a top ten PG lottery pick (even as raw as Frank) being so allergic to the rim. Knicks need another answer for next season. Cant wait on Frank.

For me, same types of things were being said about KP and his ability to do typical big man stuff like post up and back players down.

Patience

On that aspect of his game, yes. When we talk about players being "raw" it usually means their offense shows promise, but needs polish, maybe a lot. I dont see an offense.

I believe Frank has a high BBall IQ, the coaches and players have said as much. But there is more to it than being smart. To be a starting PG in the NBA, you need a chip on your shoulder. On the court. I see someone who after half a season, still cant wait to give up the ball.

Not a big deal for a future backup. For a future starting PG, very big deal. Frank knows what he needs to work on. If he comes back, and its still 4 on 5 on offense too often. Yes, my guess is that this will likely be who he is as long as he is a Knick. Hope Im wrong.

As far as not waiting on him. His progess over the summer would have to be most improved player of the year caliber, for the Knicks not to need a better option to start next season.

martin
USA
1/22/2018  8:04 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Patience

On that aspect of his game, yes. When we talk about players being "raw" it usually means their offense shows promise, but needs polish, maybe a lot. I dont see an offense.

I believe Frank has a high BBall IQ, the coaches and players have said as much. But there is more to it than being smart. To be a starting PG in the NBA, you need a chip on your shoulder. On the court. I see someone who after half a season, still cant wait to give up the ball.

Not a big deal for a future backup. For a future starting PG, very big deal. Frank knows what he needs to work on. If he comes back, and its still 4 on 5 on offense too often. Yes, my guess is that this will likely be who he is as long as he is a Knick. Hope Im wrong.

As far as not waiting on him. His progess over the summer would have to be most improved player of the year caliber, for the Knicks not to need a better option to start next season.

Really? Like zero? Are you watching him at all? I mean, there is hesitation no doubt, but you still don't see an offense?

You don't see a shot that has good form? You don't see a PG who sees the court well and makes some VERY non-rookie passes (while also making some lazy/rookie passes)? You don't see a guy who has hit big shots at the end of games? Frank ain't fast but he can get to where he wants. You haven't read that he was on off the ball guy playing against grown men last year at 18 who is now playing PG full time? Or that he is a hard worker/good work ethic kid? None of that makes you want to sit back and watch it simmer rather than drawing a rather foolish line in the sand after less than half a season?

I guess we need to pile you into the group of fans who has zero patience and appreciation for growth over time? It's absolutely weird to me that you only focus on literally one aspect of what Frank does/does not do.

And let's be honest, you've already made very clear that you have set in stone what Frank will be going forward... that's your take right? You keep repeating over and over and over that "Yes, my guess is that this will likely be who he is as long as he is a Knick." .... 4 months into his career.

4 months, and you've seen enough to determine a career. That' some magic man

Welpee
Member: #6239

1/22/2018  8:14 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Patience

A point guard who wants to pass and feed his teammates. Man, such a horrible thing!
GustavBahler

1/22/2018  8:36 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Patience

Really? Like zero? Are you watching him at all? I mean, there is hesitation no doubt, but you still don't see an offense?

You don't see a shot that has good form? You don't see a PG who sees the court well and makes some VERY non-rookie passes (while also making some lazy/rookie passes)? You don't see a guy who has hit big shots at the end of games? Frank ain't fast but he can get to where he wants. You haven't read that he was on off the ball guy playing against grown men last year at 18 who is now playing PG full time? Or that he is a hard worker/good work ethic kid? None of that makes you want to sit back and watch it simmer rather than drawing a rather foolish line in the sand after less than half a season?

I guess we need to pile you into the group of fans who has zero patience and appreciation for growth over time? It's absolutely weird to me that you only focus on literally one aspect of what Frank does/does not do.

And let's be honest, you've already made very clear that you have set in stone what Frank will be going forward... that's your take right? You keep repeating over and over and over that "Yes, my guess is that this will likely be who he is as long as he is a Knick." .... 4 months into his career.

4 months, and you've seen enough to determine a career. That' some magic man

Really? Thought we were having a nice, friendly, conversation here. I guess that makes one of us.

Until we see Frank showing an offense, not going entire games without scoring, getting to the line, there is no offense. We arent talking about the 12th man who Hornacek occasionally forgets is on the team. One of the first, if not the first off the bench, every night. Burke comes in, and literally within seconds, scores. Frank has gone weeks without scoring and the ball is in his hand every night.

Frank still has half a season. An entire summer to work on his game, play against other NBA ballers, maybe a tournament. Work with trainers, bulk up some. Then SL, then camp, preseason, then the regular season.

My awful suggestion that if Frank goes through all of those stages, and its clear that as the regular season progesses that he is more or less the same player, you're damned right I'll doubt that he'll be good enough to start in NY.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/22/2018  9:18 PM
Welpee wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Patience

A point guard who wants to pass and feed his teammates. Man, such a horrible thing!
Wanting to pass to your teammates is great. Sometimes it appears that he wants to be relieved of ball handling duties as quickly as possible. Point guards usually try to create and put pressure on the defense. Moving the ball in the flow is fine but Frank often looks to move the ball as soon as he crosses half court sometimes by doing a 180 to pass to the last person crossing half court.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
USA
1/22/2018  9:39 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Welpee wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Patience

Wanting to pass to your teammates is great. Sometimes it appears that he wants to be relieved of ball handling duties as quickly as possible. Point guards usually try to create and put pressure on the defense. Moving the ball in the flow is fine but Frank often looks to move the ball as soon as he crosses half court sometimes by doing a 180 to pass to the last person crossing half court.

Pretty sure this is by design. Jack does it a lot too, not as often but a lot.

Player movement, ball movement unless there is another particular set called. For a young rookie still learning NBA and PG position, it's a way to take some decision making out of his hands as well as make sure the team as a whole doesn't become stagnant.

nixluva
USA
1/22/2018  10:56 PM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Welpee wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Patience

Pretty sure this is by design. Jack does it a lot too, not as often but a lot.

Player movement, ball movement unless there is another particular set called. For a young rookie still learning NBA and PG position, it's a way to take some decision making out of his hands as well as make sure the team as a whole doesn't become stagnant.

The Knicks Drafted Frank knowing he was going to need time to develop on the offensive end. They seem to have been taking in slow and allowing him to try and grow into the role. Sure he could just go wild and call his own number but he's trying to learn how to do things in the flow. It's not easy as other Rookies are also finding out. Ball, Fox and Monk aren't exactly tearing it up this year either. All have lower Offensive Ratings than Frank. NBA PG is HARD even for scorers.

blkexec
Member: #748
1/22/2018  11:01 PM
While we wait on frank to catch up....DSJ strikes again with another solid outing....

30mins

Starter

Just adding to the thread. lol

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
HofstraBBall

1/22/2018  11:19 PM
nixluva wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Welpee wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Name the team?

You have to put things in proper perspective! How is Frank showing he's somehow not in the conversation as far as Prospects? Just increase his scoring and you're talking about a heck of player!

http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&PlayerPosition=G&PlayerExperience=Rookie&DateTo=01%2F21%2F2018&CF=GP*GE*32

Fuzzy Math!

Fixed:
https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PlayerExperience=Rookie

HofstraBBall

1/22/2018  11:20 PM
Welpee wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Patience

You do know who we are comparing right? Step 2 is to check who has more assists.

nixluva
USA
1/23/2018  12:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2018  12:35 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Welpee wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Name the team?

Fuzzy Math!

Fixed:
https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PlayerExperience=Rookie

REALLY? This is what you think makes your case and somehow refutes mine? OK i'll use your stat which is only one of many but let's play your game. If you filter for just guards this is what you get and look at where Mitchell is, Fox, DSJ and Monk. Frank is not on the bottom but closer to the top even with this stat. In fact in terms of actual PG's he's doing quite well. So added to the other stats i've been posting I think it makes my case pretty solidly!!!

In fact let me edit out guys who haven't played at least 32 games:

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
1/23/2018  10:13 AM
Smith Jr has a 94 offensive rating, 109 defensive rating, 48 TS%, -1.1OWS, 1.0DWS, -0.1WS, -00005 WS48, -1.2OBPM, -0.5DBPM, -1.8BPM 0.1VORP

And Dallas has 16 wins on the season.

I will care for Smith jr when he is actually leading Dallas to playoffs while upping his advanced stats. If he is doing that during a time Frank is not down the road. Then I can say damn we missed on a good one. Right now he is a rookie being featured putting up numbers on a bad basketball team. Same knocks he had on his scouting report. He dropped 3 straight 20pt games in 3 loses and was -7, +1, -2. They just had a good win vs Wash wanna throw that in there, but seemed more like Wash didn't really come to play really.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
HofstraBBall

1/23/2018  10:30 AM
nixluva wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Welpee wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Name the team?

Fuzzy Math!

Fixed:

REALLY? This is what you think makes your case and somehow refutes mine? OK i'll use your stat which is only one of many but let's play your game. If you filter for just guards this is what you get and look at where Mitchell is, Fox, DSJ and Monk. Frank is not on the bottom but closer to the top even with this stat. In fact in terms of actual PG's he's doing quite well. So added to the other stats i've been posting I think it makes my case pretty solidly!!!

In fact let me edit out guys who haven't played at least 32 games:

My stat? That is the main stat used by the NBA to rank defense among players? He is 131 among all. Melo is 38! Lol But okay, So you just went from Frank is "The best defender around" to he is doing "Quite well"? Think I made my point. Which is stop posting adjusted favorable stats for him and trying to make it as he is the best defender around. Fair enough, lets make it about rookie PG's... Again, Brooks is ranked higher than him and he was a second rounder. Should Griz fans be saying he is playing like a lottery pick? And Mitchell, one of the guys I wanted, is ranked higher and is a phenomenal offensive player. I still dont get why everyone is so uptight about judging Frank half way through season. Kepp being accused of saying he is career is done, but it seems like the guys that are the most defensive are the ones that feel that more than I do. It will be a while before we know what he turns out to be.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/23/2018  10:32 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:Smith Jr has a 94 offensive rating, 109 defensive rating, 48 TS%, -1.1OWS, 1.0DWS, -0.1WS, -00005 WS48, -1.2OBPM, -0.5DBPM, -1.8BPM 0.1VORP

I will care for Smith jr when he is actually leading Dallas to playoffs while upping his advanced stats. If he is doing that during a time Frank is not down the road. Then I can say damn we missed on a good one. Right now he is a rookie being featured putting up numbers on a bad basketball team. Same knocks he had on his scouting report. He dropped 3 straight 20pt games in 3 loses and was -7, +1, -2. They just had a good win vs Wash wanna throw that in there, but seemed more like Wash didn't really come to play really.

Carlisle is extremely tough on point guards. Check out his quotes on Smith. Also, Smith's #s are improving as the year has gone on. https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2018/01/22/dennis-smith-jr-shows-explosiveness-mentor-john-wall
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
1/23/2018  11:27 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Smith Jr has a 94 offensive rating, 109 defensive rating, 48 TS%, -1.1OWS, 1.0DWS, -0.1WS, -00005 WS48, -1.2OBPM, -0.5DBPM, -1.8BPM 0.1VORP

Carlisle is extremely tough on point guards. Check out his quotes on Smith. Also, Smith's #s are improving as the year has gone on. https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2018/01/22/dennis-smith-jr-shows-explosiveness-mentor-john-wall

He is improving, I'm also sure Dallas decided a while ago that their season was in the gutter and are more so committed to his development at this point then anything else. The question still remains can he be a feature player on a winning team. Nobody questioned if he can produce numbers. Those questions will remain until he does it. Just like questions on Franks offensive craft capabilities.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
The Official Frank Ntilikina Versus DSJr Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy