[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Official Frank Ntilikina Versus DSJr Thread
Author Thread
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

12/14/2017  9:24 AM
I was leaning with Monk/Frank/Mitchell/Kennard.
I wasn't a big fan of Fox or DSJ.
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/14/2017  11:09 AM
fishmike wrote:
Juliano wrote:Mitchell with another show, the lad has perenial all-star written all over him. Goes on to show nothing is set in stone with drafts picks, personality is more important than raw physical ability and on that respect Frank has everything going for him. It's probably going to take him longer than Mitchell but I feel he's going to quietly improve to stardom in his own quiet way. Right now he's focused on learning the pace, doing what the coach tells him to, not being a liability for the team. Defense is the basement of his game and he's building on it, he'll add pieces and bits along the way. If his games against his peers at the Euro U18 are anything to go by, the lad could be relied upon to be a leader in offense and that's an indicator of what he may be able to do when he's fully grown and fully confident.

Mitchell looks great. He was one of the 4 guards I would have been good with in Frank/DS/Monk/Mitchell. I just hope we picked right. I am confident we did. No buyer's regret for me. Mitchell might be better than Frank. He's a really good scorer and defends well also.

Its funny though... because this just again shows how valuable Frank is. If we have a chance to draft a really good player like Mitchell in the draft, but say he's a bit short for SG as Mitchell is when you have Frank in the backcourt it doesnt matter. Frank is a guy can and will guard 3 spots.

I have seen enough from Frank to know we got the right guy, especially to build a defense around KP. If he takes longer he takes longer.

Right. I hate to be dismissive, but short scorers come into the league every year. I'm not saying they'll be as good as Mitchell or that Mitchell has even arrived as a player. But you have to think about fit. I'd feel a lot more comfortable picking a guy like Monk or Mitchell now, knowing we have a lengthy playmaker next to them.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

12/14/2017  12:06 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Juliano wrote:Mitchell with another show, the lad has perenial all-star written all over him. Goes on to show nothing is set in stone with drafts picks, personality is more important than raw physical ability and on that respect Frank has everything going for him. It's probably going to take him longer than Mitchell but I feel he's going to quietly improve to stardom in his own quiet way. Right now he's focused on learning the pace, doing what the coach tells him to, not being a liability for the team. Defense is the basement of his game and he's building on it, he'll add pieces and bits along the way. If his games against his peers at the Euro U18 are anything to go by, the lad could be relied upon to be a leader in offense and that's an indicator of what he may be able to do when he's fully grown and fully confident.

Mitchell looks great. He was one of the 4 guards I would have been good with in Frank/DS/Monk/Mitchell. I just hope we picked right. I am confident we did. No buyer's regret for me. Mitchell might be better than Frank. He's a really good scorer and defends well also.

Its funny though... because this just again shows how valuable Frank is. If we have a chance to draft a really good player like Mitchell in the draft, but say he's a bit short for SG as Mitchell is when you have Frank in the backcourt it doesnt matter. Frank is a guy can and will guard 3 spots.

I have seen enough from Frank to know we got the right guy, especially to build a defense around KP. If he takes longer he takes longer.

Right. I hate to be dismissive, but short scorers come into the league every year. I'm not saying they'll be as good as Mitchell or that Mitchell has even arrived as a player. But you have to think about fit. I'd feel a lot more comfortable picking a guy like Monk or Mitchell now, knowing we have a lengthy playmaker next to them.

That's exactly how I feel, which is why I'm not sweating the fact that Mitchell is "outperforming" him. I think Frank fits our needs- short and long- more effectively and IMO, still has the higher ceiling despite Mitchell's counting stats. As I said earlier though, it's a shame we couldn't get a second pick to add Mitchell because I think he fits perfectly with Ntilikina. But I'm also cool with Damyean Dotson and what he could potentially bring at the 2 spot if we develop him well.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
12/14/2017  12:24 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:

That's exactly how I feel, which is why I'm not sweating the fact that Mitchell is "outperforming" him. I think Frank fits our needs- short and long- more effectively and IMO, still has the higher ceiling despite Mitchell's counting stats. As I said earlier though, it's a shame we couldn't get a second pick to add Mitchell because I think he fits perfectly with Ntilikina. But I'm also cool with Damyean Dotson and what he could potentially bring at the 2 spot if we develop him well.

Mitchell has a 6-10 wing span and a very very good athlete with a compact frame and strength. He can potentially be used in a variety ways and lineups IMO. Him and Frank would have been ideal together defensively and offensively. On ball off ball, switching on defense without getting exposed. That together with KP... They have also formed a friendship at the draft. Have worked out together in the summer a little bit. Would be great on day to steal him from the Jazz.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/14/2017  1:12 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:

it changes everything, and goes back to positionless basketball. At some point in a year or so we might see Frank/Tim/Dotson starting at the 1/2/3 with Baker and a PG we draft backing those guys up. Point is you are really locking down the perimeter allowing KP to help more and Kantor and whoever ends up backing him up can clean glass and clog lane. Its a formula for a great defensive squad.

Starts w/ Frank/KP

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

12/14/2017  2:45 PM
fishmike wrote:

Mitchell, who is playing well, and who is also a man in terms of physical maturity, has been averaging 20 shots/game recently, and seemingly been given cart blanche to shoot as much as he wants.

Does anyone think he would have that freedom on the Knicks?

Team chemistry is always a consideration...Pippen was on the radio this morning talking about the difference between Westbrook and Paul, and he clearly sees Paul as the better teammate and leader, despite what Westbrook is able to do on the court as far as the stats.

I expect Ntilikina to be a 14-17PPG, 8-10APG, 4-6RPG, and 2/3SPG. With KP on the team, and others who can score, that is all you need at this point. Biggest thing for KP was/is a guard who can give him the ball when he's in the right position, and I think Frank and Ball are the most pass first guards in the draft. I've also seen that Fox's minutes have stayed the same, but his assists have decreased by month from 5 to 4 to 2, which makes me think defenders have discovered some things about his game (just a theory)

We seem to have done a quick rebuild, and we're not looking to tank. If we were looking to do that we would have dumped Lee and let Dotson play 30MPG and have free reign to shoot when he wants, and I'll bet he'd be averaging 15+PPG on such a team, but we're clearly looking to make a run for the playoffs.

You can also look at Charlotte and Monk, another tweener guard. They gave him more minutes and let him do his thing early on, and now he is getting minimal time and is not able to perform as a PG, which they seem to be asking him to do. He was never going to be a true PG, and as a SG, he's rather smallish.

Dallas gives Smith a lot of freedom, and he's had good games between injuries, but he's a combo guard, IMO, not a PG, and he's not a consistent defender.

Seems like everyone has some strengths and weaknesses.

Frank is the most underdeveloped player of all the guards chosen...we see glimpses of what he can be, but still won't know for a couple of years unless he really hits a maturity streak by next year. I think you have to wait for him to be 22/23 to know for sure what he will be...same was true for KP, who is still growing physically...and is maybe 2/3 years from full maturity and a hardening of his body.

I just think that our guy is competitive with everyone drafted in terms of potential and future success. Just have to wait and see, as many of us always seem to be saying about him.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
reub
Member: #6227

12/14/2017  4:08 PM
Here's a nice breakdown of Frank's game versus the Lakers:

https://www.thestepien.com/2017/12/14/nba-prospect-film-room-frank-ntilikina-vs-la-lakers/

NardDogNation

12/14/2017  4:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2017  4:15 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Mitchell has a 6-10 wing span and a very very good athlete with a compact frame and strength. He can potentially be used in a variety ways and lineups IMO. Him and Frank would have been ideal together defensively and offensively. On ball off ball, switching on defense without getting exposed. That together with KP... They have also formed a friendship at the draft. Have worked out together in the summer a little bit. Would be great on day to steal him from the Jazz.

Do you think that a Kristaps Porzingis-Donovan Mitchell-Frank Ntilikina core would have been good enough to end a rebuild and proceed into a win-now phase? How good do you think that trifecta would be compared to other up-and-coming cores of the league?

NardDogNation

12/14/2017  4:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2017  4:16 PM
fishmike wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:

it changes everything, and goes back to positionless basketball. At some point in a year or so we might see Frank/Tim/Dotson starting at the 1/2/3 with Baker and a PG we draft backing those guys up. Point is you are really locking down the perimeter allowing KP to help more and Kantor and whoever ends up backing him up can clean glass and clog lane. Its a formula for a great defensive squad.

Starts w/ Frank/KP

I'm still skeptical of Hardaway as a starter on a contender. I think we'd need a bonafide star at the 3 spot to pair with Kristaps to ever truly be considered one of the league's best teams. It's a major reason why I think we jumped the gun on Hardaway's signing and in playing these veterans over youth. We need a pretty good pick to try and finagle a player with legitimate star potential to pair with KP.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/14/2017  4:28 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Do you think that a Kristaps Porzingis-Donovan Mitchell-Frank Ntilikina core would have been good enough to end a rebuild and proceed into a win-now phase? How good do you think that trifecta would be compared to other up-and-coming cores of the league?

I wouldn't be able to properly evaluate that at the moment. As all of them still have a ton of potential to fill. But I love the concept of Mitchell and Frank combo for reasons stated above. That trio wouldnt have to be the end of it. No reason why we wouldnt be able to target a 4th piece at Forward. I would target an oversized athletic 3/4 in the Otto, Covington, Aminu, mold. And just continue to add different prices and pushed as much flexibility as possible and let then develop.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/14/2017  5:43 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
fishmike wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Starts w/ Frank/KP

I'm still skeptical of Hardaway as a starter on a contender. I think we'd need a bonafide star at the 3 spot to pair with Kristaps to ever truly be considered one of the league's best teams. It's a major reason why I think we jumped the gun on Hardaway's signing and in playing these veterans over youth. We need a pretty good pick to try and finagle a player with legitimate star potential to pair with KP.

I too want a bonafide star. We don't get Tim, who is a bonafide 25 year old at a not so crazy salary playing up to it in his first year as a starter, we might have endangered losing KP as there are few bonafide ready made stars out of the draft.
Without timmy we are a bonafide tank and culturally not moving in the right direction. While we have cap, I doubt no top tier alpha star would touch us.
Lets just say that If LeBron wants to play with frank, Tim, KP with Enes that's not a bad team. Is it on paper enough to make the finals? Not without some imagination.
I don't have that kind of mind. Im not saying Lebron does this, but we better with Timmy than without. We better with KP being the man with Tim and its good nobody made a demand that we had to look at a SmithJr because of the short run. OR perhaps chemistry problems with KP.
There is a lot to consider. Many angles and its complicated.
But yeah, I want a superdupermegastar at the 3!!!!
Who doesn't?

reub

12/14/2017  10:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2017  10:46 PM
Frank was a +15 tonight against Brooklyn. We were sinking fast until he came into the game and helped save us. Eight assists too.

He's just a winner.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

12/15/2017  12:17 AM
reub wrote:Frank was a +15 tonight against Brooklyn. We were sinking fast until he came into the game and helped save us. Eight assists too.

He's just a winner.

Watch out hes starting to get comfortable, hes starting to show off his deep shooting touch we saw in France , hes also getting comfortable going to the hoop, Frank is showing he can put it in another gear while getting to the hoop, Very impressive tonight. his court vision is excellent, hes one of those guys who can really thread the needle. When frank and baker are in the backcourt its turnover city for the opposition!!! More Frank and Baker please!

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/15/2017  7:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/15/2017  7:55 AM
Frank is starting to show a dribble, which is exciting. His teammates are encouraging him to attack, and Frank is listening. He's using his crossover a little more every game.

One thing Frank does need to work on defensively is his lateral movement. At times it looked like it was a matter of Frank not knowing how to effectively go around a screen. Last night you could tell that guys were shaking Frank off laterally instead of north and south. Thats probably the scouting report on him now, until he gets better. Has the smarts to be an elite defender, has to work on the areas other teams will exploit.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/15/2017  8:05 AM
The threat of Gleague really motivated him!!!
reub

12/16/2017  2:57 PM
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/12/08/report-dallas-mavericks-rookie-dennis-smith-jr-out-least-2-games-hip-injury#/

"Dallas Mavericks rookie point guard Dennis Smith Jr. will miss at least two games due to a strained left hip, reports Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News.

Smith suffered the injury against Boston on Wednesday and was still sore on Thursday, when he sat out practice. He was walking with a noticeable limp on Friday's shootaround, but Smith doesn't expect to miss much action."

Welpee
Member: #6239

12/16/2017  5:23 PM
Nalod wrote:I too want a bonafide star. We don't get Tim, who is a bonafide 25 year old at a not so crazy salary playing up to it in his first year as a starter, we might have endangered losing KP as there are few bonafide ready made stars out of the draft.
Without timmy we are a bonafide tank and culturally not moving in the right direction. While we have cap, I doubt no top tier alpha star would touch us.
Lets just say that If LeBron wants to play with frank, Tim, KP with Enes that's not a bad team. Is it on paper enough to make the finals? Not without some imagination.
I don't have that kind of mind. Im not saying Lebron does this, but we better with Timmy than without. We better with KP being the man with Tim and its good nobody made a demand that we had to look at a SmithJr because of the short run. OR perhaps chemistry problems with KP.
Who doesn't?
Lebron has a lot of miles on his odometer. At some point he's going to start showing noticeable decline while making the most money he's ever made. Do the Knicks really want to be part of that?
Ira
Member: #91
12/16/2017  5:36 PM
Welpee wrote:
Nalod wrote:I too want a bonafide star. We don't get Tim, who is a bonafide 25 year old at a not so crazy salary playing up to it in his first year as a starter, we might have endangered losing KP as there are few bonafide ready made stars out of the draft.
Who doesn't?
Lebron has a lot of miles on his odometer. At some point he's going to start showing noticeable decline while making the most money he's ever made. Do the Knicks really want to be part of that?

No we don't. But if LeBron goes to the Lakers as some are predicting, that may leave Paul George hanging. He'd fit very nicely here - maybe we can do another sign and trade with Orlando.

Welpee
Member: #6239

12/16/2017  10:44 PM
Ira wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Who doesn't?

No we don't. But if LeBron goes to the Lakers as some are predicting, that may leave Paul George hanging. He'd fit very nicely here - maybe we can do another sign and trade with Orlando.

I think Paul George is a done deal going to the Lakers. Heck, they paid a stiff tampering fine behind it. Lebron is the wild card. I don't think it's either/or. George is a lock. The question is whether Lebron joins him.
reub

12/16/2017  11:06 PM
Welpee wrote:
Ira wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Who doesn't?

I think Paul George is a done deal going to the Lakers. Heck, they paid a stiff tampering fine behind it. Lebron is the wild card. I don't think it's either/or. George is a lock. The question is whether Lebron joins him.

This is a Frank vs. DSJr thread.
Not a Paul George to LA thread.
The Official Frank Ntilikina Versus DSJr Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy