[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Day after game 10/19 vs OKC: thoughts?
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/20/2017  8:22 AM
I think it's good to have a day after thread to reflect on the game the night before.

With a clear head... what did you think?

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/20/2017  8:30 AM
Missed a lot of shots/layups 5 feet and in. Optimistic those will eventually go down. Porzingis looked good and took it to the basket more last night. Had some nice moves inside instead of just floating around the perimeter. I wish we got more of an opportunity to see Frank and Willy.

Transition D has to improve.

StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

10/20/2017  8:30 AM
Agreed. KP was a beast. Our one bright spot but obviously we made the right decision making him the face of the franchise. Not happy with Kanter. Sure he can score but plays zero defense and cant rebound much. Not happy frank dotson and willy were regulated to garbage time. They are future building blocks and need to play. Sessions and baker are a bit out of control but i like their scrappiness. Timmy had a tough night but was guarded by george so i gotta cut him some slack. Its frustrating losing like that but it os a rebuilding year and their will be bumps in the road
EnySpree

10/20/2017  8:39 AM
Our point guards were terrible. Sessions was a disappointment directing the ball. He was making the wrong pass all night. He was a step slow too. Baker was terrible. For every strong defensive play he made, he turned the ball over. His ball handling was erratic. He had no control. Plus he couldn't score. Frank just looked nervous. He had the deer in the headlights. He was aiming his shot and playing with tunnel vision. Chalk all this up to nerves but it was embarrassing non the less.

We got nothing from Thomas and McDermott. They were useless out there. Shame Beasley was the 3rd forward off the bench then got injured. I had the feeling he was going to light it up. He hit his first shot that he got injured on. Beasley needs to get healthy. His offense is going to be needed.

I thought Lee played well. He's just not a scorer. He has the game but not the mentality to call his own number.

THJr let's chalk this up to nerves as well. He didn't play bad but got locked up pretty good by Roberson.

Kanter let OKC familiarity with him take him out of his game. He got frustrated and was talking to the refs.

KOQ had a nice game as well. He was doing his job inside.

KP has evolved. Still not polished but he's getting there. He played like he was the man.

I thought Hornacek was overwhelmed. I didn't like his early substitutions. He started scrambling and it worked. Okc made adjustments and Horny wasn't prepared. The offense became non existent. It wasn't even what OKC was doing defensively. The Knicks just had bo direction or leader on the court or the bench.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

10/20/2017  8:58 AM
Quiet as kept... The Knicks played nice defense. The lapses we did have was honest. We lost the game based off turnovers and ball control. If the Knicks took control of the ball they might have actually won...

They listed us at 29 (i can't fact check, my signal is bad)turnovers... we had like 40 something really. I feel like we were turning the ball over every other play. Unforced errors

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

10/20/2017  9:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/20/2017  9:05 AM
First game. Can't say anyone should expect anything. What popped out was KP soaking up the lead role. He played really well. More scoring inside the arc, which is great. Disappointed that Dotson, Frank and Willy didn't get more burn. They need to build chemistry with KP and learn on the court. But guess JH is doing what coaches do and that is coach to win. Sorry to see Beasley get hurt. He will demand some attention from defenses. Which will help other guys. Timmy saw what it will be like to face more attention from defenses. Think he will be okay though. Kanter is very good with his post moves but didn't bring much else. McDermott, Baker and the rest are what they are. Not going to wow us on many nights.
Lee was his usual solid all around guy but is as aggressive as a hermit crab. Guy can be so much better.

Think this will be a year of guys showing who can be in Knicks long term plans. A lot of question marks. Hope that as we get passed the trade deadline, and we unload position heavy assets, we then focus on giving the young guys a chance to learn and prove that they are capable of improving and staying in the league.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
MS
Member: #724
10/20/2017  9:11 AM
There is a star in Dallas at the point guard position and we are watching Ron Baker and Ramon Seasions lead the offense.

I hear all this bull **** about getting guys to grow with Zinger. He’s going to leave immediately if this is the help we are putting out there.

We are sitting a guy that was on the all rookie first team that gets a double double in his sleep for Enes Kanter. What exactly are we doing? We are obviously going to win 5 of the last seven games and blow our draft position.

Ron Baker shouldn’t be in the rotation let alone getting 9MM over two.

reub
Member: #6227

10/20/2017  9:12 AM
Baker was a plus 4 in a game we lost by 22. He had 5 defections while no else had more than one. He got to the line.
McDermott played well moves and passes the ball. We all know he's a good shooter.
Lance Thomas was terrible. Sessions too.
Overall, we have a decent team here with Frank and Willy and Dotson eventually taking over much bigger roles. The future is bright. This was not an easy game for us against a top team on the road.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/20/2017  9:14 AM
KP looks like he is ready to take ove the team. We need a PG who will look for him late in games, make him have to work less to score, let him move without the ball more for easy flushes.

Baker was really sloppy out there, but he is still the best at keeping the ball moving of the PGs we have now. Yes, Westbrook abused him like almost every other defender n the league. Missed a lot of time due to an ankle injury. Once the turnovers are reduced, I believe Baker will have more of an impact. Still has to score though.

Still need a better starting PG, Perry has to try to find more help in that dept.

THJ will thrive offensively when we have a PG who can get to the rim, find teammates. He is making an effort on D. Watching the court, and his man.

Kanter and McDermott feel more like a luxury on a team that needs better defenders, and a good stop gap PG. But its early. Jeff might be giving some burn to Kanter, knowing that Noah will eat into his minutes, when he comes back. Noah's defense will do that, if its still there.

Really want to know why Willy is at the end of the bench. Its not like he was benched because there were better defenders out there.

Hornacek's rotation was curious. Hopefully he settles on one by the time Noah gets back.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/20/2017  9:17 AM
EnySpree wrote:Our point guards were terrible. Sessions was a disappointment directing the ball. He was making the wrong pass all night. He was a step slow too. Baker was terrible. For every strong defensive play he made, he turned the ball over. His ball handling was erratic. He had no control. Plus he couldn't score. Frank just looked nervous. He had the deer in the headlights. He was aiming his shot and playing with tunnel vision. Chalk all this up to nerves but it was embarrassing non the less.

We got nothing from Thomas and McDermott. They were useless out there. Shame Beasley was the 3rd forward off the bench then got injured. I had the feeling he was going to light it up. He hit his first shot that he got injured on. Beasley needs to get healthy. His offense is going to be needed.

I thought Lee played well. He's just not a scorer. He has the game but not the mentality to call his own number.

THJr let's chalk this up to nerves as well. He didn't play bad but got locked up pretty good by Roberson.

Kanter let OKC familiarity with him take him out of his game. He got frustrated and was talking to the refs.

KOQ had a nice game as well. He was doing his job inside.

KP has evolved. Still not polished but he's getting there. He played like he was the man.

I thought Hornacek was overwhelmed. I didn't like his early substitutions. He started scrambling and it worked. Okc made adjustments and Horny wasn't prepared. The offense became non existent. It wasn't even what OKC was doing defensively. The Knicks just had bo direction or leader on the court or the bench.

100% agree with everything you said here, but I have to add, baker is not a pg by any stretch of the imagination. He can't dribble, he can't get to the hole, he can't shoot, he can't pass., aside from a couple steals, he's fckng worthless

We will struggle to score with out a pg, and that's evident of the 6th straight game and we still cant even score a 100 points, and loss all 6.

All the talk of playing fast uptempo(only 8 fast break points to 35 by okc) with some of the slowest guys in the league on the roster. Not a single player on the roster can get to the whole with any consistency.

Having kP being the only good player on the team reminds of what Lopez went through with the nets, or what pau went through with the grizz before he was traded to the lakers,

frank looks no better the jerian grant

ES
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/20/2017  9:24 AM
this big thing for me I sure hope that Frank's knee is bothering him... there was lots of talent available after him

the Ron Baker signing looks absolutely insane to me

THJ looked like a bust when we signed him... I hope he gets his **** together, but as others have already pointed out, why didn't we take Holliday for a fraction of the price?

you add all this up, and I have to remind myself, we are 'trusting the process' this year. Doncic or bust

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Ira
Member: #91
10/20/2017  9:31 AM
It looks like we're going to get an early draft pick.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/20/2017  10:00 AM
I don't get the Ron Baker hate. This whole thing about our players only being bench players and not starters is a bit overblown.

The overreaction to Frank was both predictable and pathetic.

My main gripes are -

Lack of structured offense
Willy not being a starter
THJR - not doing anything well, yet people pick on Ron Baker

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/20/2017  10:04 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:I don't get the Ron Baker hate. This whole thing about our players only being bench players and not starters is a bit overblown.

My main gripes are -

Kp did a lot of good things. In the game of team ball--Id like to see him throw 3-5 more passes. Its important for him to be a passer as well--especially with no true PG. Also KP if youre listening--dont try the crazy running tap dunk unless its a clear lane. its too risky for your health.

RIP Crushalot😞
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
10/20/2017  10:13 AM
I don't understand how Kyle O'Quinn is ahead of Willy. I hope the Knicks are just trying to raise his trade value because we don't need to see any of KOQ this year. And I kinda wish he left Ntilikina out there and just let him struggle.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/20/2017  10:14 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:I don't get the Ron Baker hate. This whole thing about our players only being bench players and not starters is a bit overblown.

My main gripes are -

agreed. First off frankie is still trying T9 shake rust off and shake off the injury. Also he is 19 years old for christsakes. It might take a year for him to get comfortable and thats fine
Gudris
Member: #6213

10/20/2017  10:16 AM

My main gripes are -

Totally agree about Baker, he is our best player on defence, very good role player
EnySpree

10/20/2017  10:21 AM

My main gripes are -

Nobody is picking on Baker. It is what it is.... I'm not gonna protect the dude. He has to play better. If he played well no one would have anything bad to say. He was flat out terrible sand that's the truth.

THJr got locked up... truth. He didn't play particularly bad though. He was just locked up

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/20/2017  10:23 AM
I really liked the Defense overall even tho Kanter and THJ had bad mistakes.

Jeff could have been hampered by key injuries to players which limited time he needed to install and develop some kind chemistry. I didn’t like his EAST/WEST style of offense with not enough motion or screens. I’m again assuming Jeff kept things simple in game one. Saw a few HORNS sets that looked sloppy. We’re gonna need to be patient.

KP looked great.
THJ faced TOUGH defenders but in PG and Roberson.
Kanter couldn’t fool his old team. He wasn’t tough enough either.
Sessions looks like trash. Looked the same in preseason.
McD was bad but looked a bit better when he was in motion rather than just standing on the perimeter.
Baker gets killed cuz he was a little sloppy but he had a POSITIVE IMPACT. The ball moves better the D Is better. Gotta give him more than one game to get his feel back. He was out for a while.
Ntilikina just had nerves. Gotta give him time as well.

Dotson and Willy need more minutes but Jeff has to come around on this. The rotation was always gonna be an issue with so many guys of similar ability and younger guys still learning.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/20/2017  10:30 AM
EnySpree wrote:

My main gripes are -

Nobody is picking on Baker. It is what it is.... I'm not gonna protect the dude. He has to play better. If he played well no one would have anything bad to say. He was flat out terrible sand that's the truth.

THJr got locked up... truth. He didn't play particularly bad though. He was just locked up

Baker was rusty! Still he was a +4!!! Dude had 3 steals and 4 Assists but 4 TO’s. I fully expect Baker to clean that up and also to get his offense going. He’s a much better player than most realize but he’s going to be a role player.

Day after game 10/19 vs OKC: thoughts?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy