[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Doug McDermott, rental or building block??
Author Thread
knickknack
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5891

10/18/2017  1:20 PM
one of the things I'll personally be playing close attention to this season is the development and play of Doug McDermott. while he is clearly the secondary asset that we received for Carmelo, I believe him and Enes are in the same position which is can either of these two or maybe both of them be starters or rotation guys for the long haul going forward. can they join KP, Nitty, Willy, and Ron as parts of the long term "plan"?

also hello I'm knickknack, I joined a while back but haven't gotten around to posting anything yet.

trust the kristaps-cess!
AUTOADVERT
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/18/2017  1:26 PM
I think he might be a building block. If he can thrive on the second unit, hopefully even be our go-to scorer, then I think he becomes a really important piece for us.
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/18/2017  1:27 PM
knickknack wrote:one of the things I'll personally be playing close attention to this season is the development and play of Doug McDermott. while he is clearly the secondary asset that we received for Carmelo, I believe him and Enes are in the same position which is can either of these two or maybe both of them be starters or rotation guys for the long haul going forward. can they join KP, Nitty, Willy, and Ron as parts of the long term "plan"?

also hello I'm knickknack, I joined a while back but haven't gotten around to posting anything yet.

Its an open book--I want to give guys like Kanter Dotson and Mcdermott good PT to see what they have. Thats what the team is right now from KP down--what do we have?

RIP Crushalot😞
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/18/2017  1:30 PM
Depends on the price. He's probably not our long-term solution at the wing, but he can fill a Beas type role as bench scorer. We need a starting wing forward tho, so I'm going to say rental until we find something better
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/18/2017  1:36 PM
McD is interesting. He could be a step away from Peja or Korver (a very good player). He could be a step away from Jimmer (not so much). Im with Briggs. Open book. He's not a defender but he's a smart player. Seeing is believing. He's too old and has shown to little to pencil him in as a "building block" but he's shown enough skill and BB IQ to certainly merit a look.

Gut feeling says nice bench scorer and spot starter. Nothing wrong with that so long as you dont overpay. I think he would have to impress to consider resigning.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/18/2017  1:56 PM
He can be a building block. There is always room for a guy who can really shoot it. What it comes down to is what he is willing to resign for. We need to bring him back on a bargain deal for it to make sense.
JesseDark
Member: #467
10/18/2017  2:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2017  3:26 PM
Maybe Boston wants McD given the horrific injury to Heywood. Just a thought, their youth looked pretty good last night.
Bring back dee-fense
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/18/2017  2:32 PM
The thing about a season like this, is if we lose 65 games, that would mean the entire team (with the exception of a player or 2) played really bad, or very inconsistent.

Do you remember when we won 17 games, what happen the next season, almost no one came back, we had like 12 new players the following season. There were guys on that team that were ok sometimes, shved, Jason smith, Galloway, Aldrich, larkin.

The worst part about this go around is that, almost 90% of the roster is signed through next season, so if they are brutally bad, were stuck with them

ES
Knixkik
USA
10/18/2017  3:05 PM
JesseDark wrote:Maybe Boston wants McD given the horrific injury to Heywood. Just a thought, there youth looked pretty good last night.

Brown looks like the real deal. I never saw him becoming more than a good 2-way role player maybe similar to Crowder, but he looks like he could break out.

knickknack
Member: #5891

10/18/2017  3:07 PM
knicks1248 wrote:The thing about a season like this, is if we lose 65 games, that would mean the entire team (with the exception of a player or 2) played really bad, or very inconsistent.

Do you remember when we won 17 games, what happen the next season, almost no one came back, we had like 12 new players the following season. There were guys on that team that were ok sometimes, shved, Jason smith, Galloway, Aldrich, larkin.

The worst part about this go around is that, almost 90% of the roster is signed through next season, so if they are brutally bad, were stuck with them

I disagree. much about winning games in the nba has to do with experience, the young players will almost certainly be inconsistent in many ways and that by itself will make the loses stack up. but as long as the good outweighs the bad then you can bring a player back and try and expect them to be better next year given another year of experience under their belt.

I actually think having all these young guys locked up is a good thing since we don't have to decide if they're big contract guys just yet. well, except for McD that is. haha

trust the kristaps-cess!
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/18/2017  3:26 PM
I saw more potential in McDermott as a more well rounded offensive player than just a shooter. It looks like this offense is going to be good for his skills. He was drafted as much more than a Korver and I think you could see that in Preseason. He looks like he's got a high BBIQ.

The degree to which he improves his Defense is going to be the biggest factor IMO. He didn't look as bad as Kanter to me defensively but that is going to take a lot more time to seriously determine

Knixkik
USA
10/18/2017  3:31 PM
nixluva wrote:I saw more potential in McDermott as a more well rounded offensive player than just a shooter. It looks like this offense is going to be good for his skills. He was drafted as much more than a Korver and I think you could see that in Preseason. He looks like he's got a high BBIQ.

The degree to which he improves his Defense is going to be the biggest factor IMO. He didn't look as bad as Kanter to me defensively but that is going to take a lot more time to seriously determine

I think the biggest issue with him is position. Can't really start him at either position in today's game, so i think his role is combo forward off the bench. But he has the ability to be a really good 20-25 mpg player who can score. Hopefully we can resign him for a modest contract to fill that role long-term.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/18/2017  3:43 PM
He's on an audition. He really hasn't really played for us. He has to show something. He's almost out the league forget about a nothing else... right now if it were up to me he'd be on the bench in favor of Lee, Beasley and dotson. He's got to show something
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/18/2017  3:44 PM
knickknack wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:The thing about a season like this, is if we lose 65 games, that would mean the entire team (with the exception of a player or 2) played really bad, or very inconsistent.

I disagree. much about winning games in the nba has to do with experience, the young players will almost certainly be inconsistent in many ways and that by itself will make the loses stack up. but as long as the good outweighs the bad then you can bring a player back and try and expect them to be better next year given another year of experience under their belt.

I actually think having all these young guys locked up is a good thing since we don't have to decide if they're big contract guys just yet. well, except for McD that is. haha

Here's the thing that people are not coming to grips with, 85% of the roster has 3 or more yrs experience, more than half the roster is straight up veterans..

Frank and Dotson are the only rookies, baker and willy are 2nd yr players so they are still wet behind the ears, ThJ, KANTAR, KP, McD, Lance, kuz, should be taking there games to new levels at this point in their careers.

So when you really look at it, this team is not as young as some of you make it out to be.

ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/18/2017  3:48 PM
I think he and KOQ would be a nice combo of scoring, size and skill to bolster some buyer at the trade deadline. Maybe a guy like Harkless who has a cap friendly deal and is about the same age. Or if a guy like Dotson is playing really well you make that trade for a draft pick. These playoff teams will often trade what will be a pick 20-30 if it can help them. I think KOQ and McD would be a nice two player package for a buyer.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/18/2017  4:01 PM
The Knicks are so deep. But I think they have to see what they have with Doug. Does Kuzminska play this year when the team is healthy?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

10/18/2017  4:04 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
knickknack wrote:

Here's the thing that people are not coming to grips with, 85% of the roster has 3 or more yrs experience, more than half the roster is straight up veterans..

Frank and Dotson are the only rookies, baker and willy are 2nd yr players so they are still wet behind the ears, ThJ, KANTAR, KP, McD, Lance, kuz, should be taking there games to new levels at this point in their careers.

So when you really look at it, this team is not as young as some of you make it out to be.

This is a case where something can be both true and irrelevant at the same time. The knicks have a fair amount of veterans on the squad yes, but no true impact players/leaders are veterans. No one is going to confuse Kantner with the real 'impact' player.

Hardaway is the closest thing to what you're trying to describe - a fifth year guy who you can reasonably predict will be fully formed sooner than later.

I'm sorry, any expectations at KP should already be near the top of his arc is just nonsense. We just saw Antetokounmpo make a quantum leap in year four. That should still be fresh in our memories.

BRIGGS
10/18/2017  4:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2017  4:16 PM
CrushAlot wrote:The Knicks are so deep. But I think they have to see what they have with Doug. Does Kuzminska play this year when the team is healthy?

Id go like this

4 man frontcourt rotation Kanter KP Willy G Oquinn

2 man SF Beasley and Mcdermott

6 man backcourt Sessions Lee THJ Baker Dotson Frank--thats the big issue.

RIP Crushalot😞
reub
Member: #6227

10/18/2017  4:15 PM
CrushAlot wrote:The Knicks are so deep. But I think they have to see what they have with Doug. Does Kuzminska play this year when the team is healthy?

We can literally put three separate units out there and they'd all be fairly equal. We are very deep. But how's our defense?

BRIGGS
10/18/2017  4:18 PM
reub wrote:

We can literally put three separate units out there and they'd all be fairly equal. We are very deep. But how's our defense?

Houston stayed a tight 8 last night--if we did that there would be mutiny. This is a rubic's cube for sure.

RIP Crushalot😞
Doug McDermott, rental or building block??

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy