Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/11/2017  3:10 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Good pickup. He is probably our best PG. Jack was tough to watch and should be cut.

the knicks continue to stock pile some of the worse defenders in the league after declaring DEFENSE Is A PRIORITY

[

In his four-year career, Burke has averaged 10.6 points per game while suiting up for the Utah Jazz and, most recently, the Washington Wizards. The former No. 9 pick has been a liability on defense, ranking 78th out of 80 point guards in Defensive Real Plus-Minus in 2016-17. Burke has also struggled to create offense, and sports a career 3-point percentage of 33.7.

Oh, i didn't realize he was that bad.

Is Ray Felton still in the league? Then we could have #80 too.

actually felton is back playing with melo over in okc, he was also known to be a solid defender before he turned into fatty boy

ES
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/11/2017  3:13 PM
TPercy wrote:I guess defensive PG's are real hard to come by.
throw a name out there...

I mean what are we looking at with Burke? THjr surely put in a good word. I mean tabloid said we are adding him to an already hectic PG situation. Well its chaos because Frank is out and nobody else is playing well. I mean there is just nothing happening good enough to NOT look at him, especially if we have some inside edge. Maybe Tim thinks he can get through to him, or that he would be a good fit with Jeff. Based on what we have and what it costs I see only upside.

There are a lot of high impact wonderfully talented and winning NBA players allergic to defense. I would be nice to fill the roster with skilled, long, athletic 2-way players who can shoot and guard multiple spots. We drafted a pair. Its not easy! Everyone wants these players. So when those options are out do you pass on talent? No.. you upgrade when you can and when it makes sense.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
10/11/2017  3:41 PM
Jeff seems pleased with what he's seen from Burke already.

Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek was impressed after the first practice, saying Burke picked up so much of the schemes quickly.

“He’s a guy who can penetrate and create things that way,” Hornacek said. “He can set up the offense and break guys down. He’s a good shooter when he gets a good look. And he’s been around the league. He can play.”

Burke said Hardaway is easing his “transition.’’ They were close friend at Michigan.

“I feel my skill set can help this team a lot,” Burke said. “I’ve got ability to make plays for me and others. I can’t wait.”

The Knicks’ point-guard situation is fairly chaotic. With Ntilikina missing three of the first four preseason games, veteran Ramon Sessions is expected to be the starting point guard for the season opener in Oklahoma City, showing he can push the pace in Hornacek’s new offense.

That Ron Baker played at point guard Monday against Houston in his debut was a bad sign for the veteran Jack, who is on a non-guaranteed contract. Between Burke and Jack, the Knicks must decide also who would have a better short-term influence on Ntilikina for the opening dozen games.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/11/knicks-add-trey-burke-to-chaotic-point-guard-situation/
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
10/11/2017  3:53 PM
fishmike wrote:
TPercy wrote:I guess defensive PG's are real hard to come by.
throw a name out there...

I mean what are we looking at with Burke? THjr surely put in a good word. I mean tabloid said we are adding him to an already hectic PG situation. Well its chaos because Frank is out and nobody else is playing well. I mean there is just nothing happening good enough to NOT look at him, especially if we have some inside edge. Maybe Tim thinks he can get through to him, or that he would be a good fit with Jeff. Based on what we have and what it costs I see only upside.

There are a lot of high impact wonderfully talented and winning NBA players allergic to defense. I would be nice to fill the roster with skilled, long, athletic 2-way players who can shoot and guard multiple spots. We drafted a pair. Its not easy! Everyone wants these players. So when those options are out do you pass on talent? No.. you upgrade when you can and when it makes sense.

Perry also was an assistant coach with Michigan. Not sure what yrs he was there.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

10/11/2017  4:05 PM
martin wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I guess Sessions and Jack will be cut

Sessions going nowhere, not sure about Jack now.

This is a weird signing, for both the Knicks and Trey

Know they looked at both Jack and Burke before picking Jack. Perhaps, at the time, they felt Jack would be a better fit to help with Franks develment but are now realizing that Jack does not fit that role. So why not take a chance on a former high draft pick.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/11/2017  5:05 PM
One dynamic nobody really mentioned. Trey Burke still thinks he can be an all star. He wants to try. He had this goals. He's only 24. Frank is everyone's "next. He could beat out Jack, Sessions and Baker easily in skill and importance to the franchise. Burke is not going to lay down so easily. That competition is very important for player development.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nixluva
USA
10/11/2017  5:10 PM
EnySpree wrote:One dynamic nobody really mentioned. Trey Burke still thinks he can be an all star. He wants to try. He had this goals. He's only 24. Frank is everyone's "next. He could beat out Jack, Sessions and Baker easily in skill and importance to the franchise. Burke is not going to lay down so easily. That competition is very important for player development.

Clearly this has to be Perry's thinking. A GM is ALWAYS looking to improve the roster. Especially a rebuilding one that lacks talent. They've gotten a look at Jack and XRM. Seems logical to take a look at Burke and maybe someone else too. This is going to be a part of the ongoing process of rebuilding this team.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/11/2017  5:14 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

I believe it backs up Perry's contention that the Knicks want to compete, not just roll over. Frank looks like he is a ways off from being a reliable starting PG. Sessions and Jack are effective in limited minutes. Baker has to show aggressiveness for 4 quarters. Lots of guards right now who are capable of coming off the bench, but we're desperate for a PG who can have more of an immediate impact.

I like that Perry realizes that this team needs help at the point. If Kanter shows something, along with McDermott, maybe move them with KOQ for frontcourt defensive help, and a look at another PG, if Burke doesnt pan out.

This feels like a swing for the fences more than anything. Im guessing it will be either Jack or Sessions, not both being sent packing.

Agreed with the bold. Perry been signing pg's left and right since he arrived. This may be a reach but this Makes me think that Perry either believes Frank isn't a natural pg, is injury prone, or maybe just not as impressed with him as Mills proclaimed he was. I get the feeling that had Perry been here before the draft, Frank may not have been the pick...

are you guys basing the bold off the what? 17 preseason minutes?

Im basing it on Frank having close to zero time playing against quality NBA competition. Being a teenager from another country without a great deal of intl experience, playing mostly in his home country. As well as a chronic knee injury that Frank has been trying to get past, since he was playing in France.

Perry wants to win now, doesnt want to give Frank too many minutes. It means expecting Frank to be good enough this season to be a reliable starting PG, any time soon, is overly optimistic IMO. Maybe by the end of the season, if the Knicks are clearly missing the playoffs.

Too early to tell how good Frank will be, but I do believe its early enough to say (considering present circumstances) that Frank's rise wont be meteoric. Would love to be wrong though.

reub
Member: #6227

10/11/2017  5:49 PM
This was from Burke's 2013 DraftExpress scouting report:

"The engine behind the #1 offense in college basketball, Burke was arguably the best pick and roll point guard in the NCAA this season, able to put incredible pressure on the defense thanks to the tremendous balance he brings between scoring and facilitating for others. The fact that he can make shots from anywhere on the floor, find the open man instantaneously, or get to the rim makes him extremely difficult to game-plan against. A highly creative passer, Burke can make plays for teammates in a number of ways, using lobs, bounce passes, kick-outs or dump-offs to find the open man confidently in the half-court or in transition. He sees the floor well, and is not predictable at all with the way he decides to attack the defense on any given possession, thanks to his tremendous versatility. A fantastic ball-handler with the ability to create offense with either hand and also change speeds at will, Burke has terrific timing and patience in the half-court, not being afraid to use his body to seek out contact in the lane or put a defender on his hip in the mid-range area to create an advantage. He is an expert at stopping and using an extra dribble or two to force the defense to react, and then subsequently reading what happens, either finding the open man or pulling up off the dribble himself. His maturity as a playmaker came a long way this season, as he did a great job cutting down on turnovers this season, coughing the ball up on just 13% of his possessions, second best among DX Top-100 ranked point guards...All things considered, it's difficult not to consider Burke the best point guard in this year's draft class when evaluating how much of a complete package he brings to the table offensively. Athletic, intelligent, competitive point guards who can create, distribute and score are incredibly rare and coveted assets, and despite his defensive limitations he should have no issues carving out a long career as a NBA starter, as long as he's able to stay healthy. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Trey-Burke-36200/ ©DraftExpress - Source:

It gives me hope.

Finestrg
Member: #1069

10/11/2017  5:57 PM
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:One dynamic nobody really mentioned. Trey Burke still thinks he can be an all star. He wants to try. He had this goals. He's only 24. Frank is everyone's "next. He could beat out Jack, Sessions and Baker easily in skill and importance to the franchise. Burke is not going to lay down so easily. That competition is very important for player development.

Clearly this has to be Perry's thinking. A GM is ALWAYS looking to improve the roster. Especially a rebuilding one that lacks talent. They've gotten a look at Jack and XRM. Seems logical to take a look at Burke and maybe someone else too. This is going to be a part of the ongoing process of rebuilding this team.

Another thing I'd like to add -- Trey Burke may never have been a Phil Jackson guy but he very much feels like a Jeff Hornacek guy to me. Taken from Marc Berman's NY Post article from today, here's what Jeff had to say: "He’s a guy [Burke] who can penetrate and create things that way,” Hornacek said. “He can set up the offense and break guys down. He’s a good shooter when he gets a good look. And he’s been around the league. He can play." Sounds like pretty high praise and a ringing endorsement to me.

Look, maybe he's nothing more than an eventually G League add-on. If that's the case, okay. Never a bad idea to bolster our G League team with the best talent we can find. However, judging from Jeff's comments after Burke's first practice (the article also mentioned that Horn was impressed with how fast Burke seemed to pick up what they're trying to do), I think he may be a keeper. Can't wait to see him in action Friday. Hopefully Frank can get back on the court soon as well.

nixluva
USA
10/11/2017  6:04 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

I believe it backs up Perry's contention that the Knicks want to compete, not just roll over. Frank looks like he is a ways off from being a reliable starting PG. Sessions and Jack are effective in limited minutes. Baker has to show aggressiveness for 4 quarters. Lots of guards right now who are capable of coming off the bench, but we're desperate for a PG who can have more of an immediate impact.

I like that Perry realizes that this team needs help at the point. If Kanter shows something, along with McDermott, maybe move them with KOQ for frontcourt defensive help, and a look at another PG, if Burke doesnt pan out.

This feels like a swing for the fences more than anything. Im guessing it will be either Jack or Sessions, not both being sent packing.

Agreed with the bold. Perry been signing pg's left and right since he arrived. This may be a reach but this Makes me think that Perry either believes Frank isn't a natural pg, is injury prone, or maybe just not as impressed with him as Mills proclaimed he was. I get the feeling that had Perry been here before the draft, Frank may not have been the pick...

Im basing it on Frank having close to zero time playing against quality NBA competition. Being a teenager from another country without a great deal of intl experience, playing mostly in his home country. As well as a chronic knee injury that Frank has been trying to get past, since he was playing in France.

Perry wants to win now, doesnt want to give Frank too many minutes. It means expecting Frank to be good enough this season to be a reliable starting PG, any time soon, is overly optimistic IMO. Maybe by the end of the season, if the Knicks are clearly missing the playoffs.

Too early to tell how good Frank will be, but I do believe its early enough to say (considering present circumstances) that Frank's rise wont be meteoric. Would love to be wrong though.

You said Nitty has a Chronic Knee issue. How so? I mean if I come and knee cap you weeks apart is that evidence you have a chronic knee problem or just that you need me to stop smashing a pipe into your knee?

Nitty hurt his knee the 1st time back on June 24th.
The 2nd time he banged knees was on October 3rd.

Kanter looks like he banged into Nitty's knee at the end of this play.

Finestrg
Member: #1069

10/11/2017  6:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/11/2017  6:26 PM
reub wrote:This was from Burke's 2013 DraftExpress scouting report:

"The engine behind the #1 offense in college basketball, Burke was arguably the best pick and roll point guard in the NCAA this season, able to put incredible pressure on the defense thanks to the tremendous balance he brings between scoring and facilitating for others. The fact that he can make shots from anywhere on the floor, find the open man instantaneously, or get to the rim makes him extremely difficult to game-plan against. A highly creative passer, Burke can make plays for teammates in a number of ways, using lobs, bounce passes, kick-outs or dump-offs to find the open man confidently in the half-court or in transition. He sees the floor well, and is not predictable at all with the way he decides to attack the defense on any given possession, thanks to his tremendous versatility. A fantastic ball-handler with the ability to create offense with either hand and also change speeds at will, Burke has terrific timing and patience in the half-court, not being afraid to use his body to seek out contact in the lane or put a defender on his hip in the mid-range area to create an advantage. He is an expert at stopping and using an extra dribble or two to force the defense to react, and then subsequently reading what happens, either finding the open man or pulling up off the dribble himself. His maturity as a playmaker came a long way this season, as he did a great job cutting down on turnovers this season, coughing the ball up on just 13% of his possessions, second best among DX Top-100 ranked point guards...All things considered, it's difficult not to consider Burke the best point guard in this year's draft class when evaluating how much of a complete package he brings to the table offensively. Athletic, intelligent, competitive point guards who can create, distribute and score are incredibly rare and coveted assets, and despite his defensive limitations he should have no issues carving out a long career as a NBA starter, as long as he's able to stay healthy. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Trey-Burke-36200/ ©DraftExpress - Source:

It gives me hope.

Can't really explain why nobody's picked him up until now (maybe there have been attitude issues??) but there's no denying the positives: obviously talented, fits with our youth movement, familiarity with THJ, coming off his best year as a pro so far (looking over his 57-game stint with Washington, it looked like he performed well (best numbers he's had so far since turning pro), despite the low shooting % since joining the NBA I believe HE IS a good shooter (go look at his college numbers), and he definitely feels like a coach Hornacek-type PG. I like the move.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/11/2017  6:06 PM

That's the problem with Burke. He's not that good. He bombed as a starter and he's bombed off the bench. He needs to reel in expectations and try to figure out how to be just decent. He's not athletic enough to pull off the same plays he did for Michigan. Can't view as more than cap fodder until he proved otherwise.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/11/2017  6:07 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

He looked great in the scrimmage, and look really poised in his limited action. Based of what he has displayed when he has played he has looked pretty good.

Time will tell the motives behind the signing. Could be anything from them not believing Frank is going to be reliable in terms of availability this season to go with the learning curve. To Perry bringing in Burke more so due to lack of faith in Sessions, Baker & Jack. To Perry looking to catch lightning in a bottle in an ex 24 yr old lotto pick. Who will try to push for a role either as starter or backup.

At the end of the day its up to Frank to get healthy and rise above the comp.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
nixluva
USA
10/11/2017  6:15 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

He looked great in the scrimmage, and look really poised in his limited action. Based of what he has displayed when he has played he has looked pretty good.

Time will tell the motives behind the signing. Could be anything from them not believing Frank is going to be reliable in terms of availability this season to go with the learning curve. To Perry bringing in Burke more so due to lack of faith in Sessions, Baker & Jack. To Perry looking to catch lightning in a bottle in an ex 24 yr old lotto pick. Who will try to push for a role either as starter or backup.

IMO the Knicks know what they've got in Nitty. He's a top 8 pick for a reason. We saw glimpses of what Nitty is going to be capable of. He's not going to be beat out if healthy IMO. He just brings too much to the table.

Burke does things our other guards don't in terms of being able to snake his way into the paint. He's a smaller shifty PG. Perry could be looking to give Jeff a penetrating PG so he can have that tool in the toolbox. This team needs a change of pace PG to keep teams from being able to guard the Knicks the same way.

GustavBahler

10/11/2017  6:18 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

You said Nitty has a Chronic Knee issue. How so? I mean if I come and knee cap you weeks apart is that evidence you have a chronic knee problem or just that you need me to stop smashing a pipe into your knee?

I dont believe they test whether Frank's knee cares how it has been repeatedly injured. The only thing that matters right now is that it has been, and it was injured enough to keep him from practicing altogether for a stretch.

Im suggesting that Frank not get thrown to the wolves against the best starting PGs in the league, right out of the gate, with no SL, and little if any preseason. You would have to be hit in the head with a pipe to believe that is a good idea. Frank needs time to develop.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

10/11/2017  6:34 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

When your roster doesn't have much talent, you have to "beat the bushes" so to speak. I like the signing, alot. Burke does have talent and perhaps his early failures were do to immaturity and the fact that he hasn't found the right fit yet. Chauncey Billups bounced around before he found himself...(NO..I'm not comparing him to Billups the player...just the oppoturnity)

GustavBahler

10/11/2017  6:39 PM
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

When your roster doesn't have much talent, you have to "beat the bushes" so to speak. I like the signing, alot. Burke does have talent and perhaps his early failures were do to immaturity and the fact that he hasn't found the right fit yet. Chauncey Billups bounced around before he found himself...(NO..I'm not comparing him to Billups the player...just the oppoturnity)

You totally were, totally....

nixluva
USA
10/11/2017  6:50 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

I dont believe they test whether Frank's knee cares how it has been repeatedly injured. The only thing that matters right now is that it has been, and it was injured enough to keep him from practicing altogether for a stretch.

Im suggesting that Frank not get thrown to the wolves against the best starting PGs in the league, right out of the gate, with no SL, and little if any preseason. You would have to be hit in the head with a pipe to believe that is a good idea. Frank needs time to develop.

Obviously the Knicks are being extremely careful with Nitty as they should. My complaint was in how you tried to explain his situation as being chronic when that's not an accurate description of what happened to his knee. If he broke his nose and a month later caught an elbow and hurt it again that's just bad luck not a chronic injury!

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/11/2017  6:59 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

That's the problem with Burke. He's not that good. He bombed as a starter and he's bombed off the bench. He needs to reel in expectations and try to figure out how to be just decent. He's not athletic enough to pull off the same plays he did for Michigan. Can't view as more than cap fodder until he proved otherwise.

Well actually he didn't bomb in Utah.... He was putting up decent numbers. 12/5... truth is they wanted Dante Exum to take over which has been a colossal flop. Keep in mind Horny is a Utah guy. Lots of ties to Burke with Perry, THJr and Horny.

He's still young and talented enough to take a closer look.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Welcome Trey Burke

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy