[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dotson quotes... great example of why quality vets are crtitical to the rebuilding effort
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/11/2017  10:35 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/11/2017  10:41 AM
Good read:

https://dailyknicks.com/2017/10/11/new-york-knicks-damyean-dotson-transitioning-nba/

A blurb:

In an interview with Michael Scotto of Basketball Insiders, Dotson is studying his fellow shooting guards in an attempt to understand what he can do to get on the court.

"I just watch [Tim Hardaway Jr. and Courtney Lee]. It’s a long season. Watching what they’re good at, what gets them on the court…Trying to model what they’re doing."

Dotson is attempting to secure a spot in Hornacek’s rotation, and studying those who have already solidified their status is as wise an approach as any.

Dotson is a 6’6″ and 205-pound shooting guard with a 6’9″ wingspan. He was one of the most productive players in the country in 2016-17, recording averages of 17.4 points, 6.9 rebounds, 1.5 offensive rebounds, 1.1 assists, and 3.4 three-point field goals made per game.

IMO this is why its key to have guys like Lance and Lee and KOQ who are grinders and blue collar guys. They take care of the ball and are where the coach needs them to be... They may not be good enough to win us 50 games but there is a reason a roster of nothing but young guys has big pitfalls. Dotson's quote is telling, and you want this guy to win his minutes by doing those things BETTER than the guys ahead of him.

To me the ideal trade scenario is to lean on the vets early to establish how we want to play and hopefully play some decent ball, even if we arent winning much. Come deadline we should look for opportunity. Guys like Lee, Kanter, KOQ and Lance's highest value will be seen at the deadline, not in a move that helps with out glut.

(edit.. fixed URL)

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/11/2017  10:49 AM
I've been saying vets are so important on a team, and you guys have been finding reason to disagree with me..

what I disagree with here, is that the both of those guys make a lot of mistakes, they are very good high character guys, but the take off to many possessions, and shot selection are suspect at times.

I agree it might be wiser to not rush a trade, but they can still be traded for upgrade veteran talent.

ES
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
10/11/2017  11:01 AM
Dotson can learn a lot from Lee. Mpst importantly how to work hard. I think DD has a nice talent and could be a a very good NBA player. Reminds me of a rookie we one had, named Trevor Ariza.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/11/2017  11:13 AM
I want vets but I want Frank, Dotson and Baker in the rotation.
fishmike
USA
10/11/2017  11:40 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Dotson can learn a lot from Lee. Mpst importantly how to work hard. I think DD has a nice talent and could be a a very good NBA player. Reminds me of a rookie we one had, named Trevor Ariza.

Agree. Lee is a keeper IMO.
fishmike
USA
10/11/2017  11:42 AM
NYKBocker wrote:I want vets but I want Frank, Dotson and Baker in the rotation.
Frank/Dotson yes. Baker has to outplay the other guys IMO
NYKBocker
USA
10/11/2017  11:44 AM
fishmike wrote:

I agree but we also have to give him more than 1 preseason game to accomplish this.

fishmike
USA
10/11/2017  11:53 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I agree but we also have to give him more than 1 preseason game to accomplish this.

well we dont see practice so its hard... preseason has looked pretty bad. That has to be some ugly tape to watch
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/11/2017  12:13 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Man Baker has shown he can play already. He just needs time to get back in rhythm. The Knicks have seen more of him than we have. I expect Baker to show improvement this season once he gets back up to speed.

fishmike
USA
10/11/2017  12:29 PM
nixluva wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Man Baker has shown he can play already. He just needs time to get back in rhythm. The Knicks have seen more of him than we have. I expect Baker to show improvement this season once he gets back up to speed.

seriously... when?
nixluva
USA
10/11/2017  1:02 PM
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:

seriously... when?

He was really starting to get his game going at the end of the year last season. He was our best PG in terms of getting the team into its sets and defending. I know his jump shot wasn't great early in the season but he was starting to get his offense and aggressiveness back.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

10/11/2017  1:17 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:

seriously... when?

He was really starting to get his game going at the end of the year last season. He was our best PG in terms of getting the team into its sets and defending. I know his jump shot wasn't great early in the season but he was starting to get his offense and aggressiveness back.

Baker is frine NBA player at best...

fishmike
USA
10/11/2017  1:21 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:

seriously... when?

tough to say what he did and didnt show there. He still hasnt shown a consistent jumper which is a total non starter IMO. Until Baker shows he can shoot it his ceiling is 12-15mpg backup PG.
nixluva
USA
10/11/2017  1:28 PM
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:

seriously... when?

tough to say what he did and didnt show there. He still hasnt shown a consistent jumper which is a total non starter IMO. Until Baker shows he can shoot it his ceiling is 12-15mpg backup PG.

I believe Baker will show improvement and a poor shooting game in his return to action isn't a good barometer for what he's going to bring this season. He's not here to be the future starting PG. He can be a very good role player for a team DYING for defense on the perimeter. Nitty, Baker and Dotson are the best perimeter defenders we have.

nixluva
USA
10/11/2017  1:28 PM
fishmike
USA
10/11/2017  1:43 PM
nixluva wrote:
I believe Baker will show improvement and a poor shooting game in his return to action isn't a good barometer for what he's going to bring this season. He's not here to be the future starting PG. He can be a very good role player for a team DYING for defense on the perimeter. Nitty, Baker and Dotson are the best perimeter defenders we have.
He was certainly a better shooter in school, but everything about the game is easier at that level. Until you show it in the big leagues its just more Knick hope.

Dotson... he looks like a much better NBA player than Baker

nixluva
USA
10/11/2017  2:03 PM
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
He was certainly a better shooter in school, but everything about the game is easier at that level. Until you show it in the big leagues its just more Knick hope.

Dotson... he looks like a much better NBA player than Baker

Different roles. Baker has been learning to run the Offense. He's actually done a good job adapting to PG. I LOVE DOTSON. The future of our backcourt needs 2Way players and I believe in Nitty, Dotson
and Baker!

NYKBocker
USA
10/11/2017  2:22 PM
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:

seriously... when?

Isn't that what we are saying Baker will be? I am looking at him to backup Frank.

nixluva
USA
10/11/2017  2:33 PM
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/11/2017  2:37 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
I've been saying vets are so important on a team, and you guys have been finding reason to disagree with me..

what I disagree with here, is that the both of those guys make a lot of mistakes, they are very good high character guys, but the take off to many possessions, and shot selection are suspect at times.

I agree it might be wiser to not rush a trade, but they can still be traded for upgrade veteran talent.

No, we just aren't referring to the same guys you are. Guys like Derrick Rose and Melo aren't what people mean by quality vets that the young players should learn from.

If a guy isn't that effective but has a good attitude and is a good role model, that's fine, but at the right price. I wouldn't pay 8 figures per year for that.

Dotson quotes... great example of why quality vets are crtitical to the rebuilding effort

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy