Guy's played 31 games in the league

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

10/9/2017  8:37 PM
whaaaaaa?
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/9/2017  8:41 PM
fishmike wrote:5 years $148mm

Guy's played 31 games in the league

Talks the most smack too

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/9/2017  10:04 PM
ouch - makes Noah look cheap!
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

10/9/2017  10:23 PM
Ridiculous but what was the alternative someone else would be that stupid
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/9/2017  11:52 PM
Posted this in the NBA thread this morning, the sixers are right up there with the worst run franchise in sports. It seems like the knicks are following their blue print
ES
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
10/10/2017  12:14 AM
Ouch, that’s fookin’ ugly. Glad it wasn’t the Knicks.

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
10/10/2017  7:28 AM
What a horrible deal. How do you justify that? I know they are reporting protections for the sixers if he is hurt, and performance clauses for him to earn, but this isn't the NFL where you can just mercilessly cut a hurt player.

3 years, and he's played 31 games out of a potential 246 or 12%?

I'm worried about Frank N and KP being banged up.

Thank go I am not a sixer fan!

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/10/2017  11:46 AM
Want to say that this contract is under heavy incentives, my guess is number of games played. Details will trickle out.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/10/2017  11:47 AM
fishmike - TRUST THE PROCESS
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/10/2017  11:50 AM
all sarcasm aside, Embiid is an advanced stats darling. I wouldn't do that because he's made out of wet paper mache. This Philly fan in the office thinks Embiid can walk on water though. He seems to think he's Hakeem
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
MS
Member: #724
10/10/2017  11:57 AM
Allllllllllllaaaaaaan Houston!

Looks like we don't have to worry about the sixers now.

Tremendous player, but that's insane having played 31 games.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/10/2017  12:11 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:all sarcasm aside, Embiid is an advanced stats darling. I wouldn't do that because he's made out of wet paper mache. This Philly fan in the office thinks Embiid can walk on water though. He seems to think he's Hakeem
if averaged 50-60 games a year and struggled with injuries I would live with it. His talent is amazing and he's a huge impact on the court.

31 games in 3 years?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

10/10/2017  4:58 PM
franco12 wrote:What a horrible deal. How do you justify that?

Sort of complicated situation.

A) Unlike Dario Saric ( international player) and Ron Artest ( suspension), injury doesn't create a "contract toll"

For example,if Odell Beckham Jr decided to "retire" for a year, a la Ricky Williams, his contract tolls. Meaning if he comes back to the Giants, he doesn't earn a year of service time while he was away.

How a contract toll could have helped the Knicks, when Shumpert blew out his ACL, his 2nd year was pretty much a waste because the injury takes more than a year to recover from and get back to normal, if ever. His third year was more of a rehab year. So without a "toll" for injury, Shumpert became trade bait. A tough question on whether he was good enough for an extension or not. If Shumpert got hurt near the end of year 1, then year 2 was tolled, the Knicks could have had the actual year 2 as a partial rehab year and have two more years to sort out his future with the team.

B) The 76ers are going to be too good at this point to ever get back into the top of the lottery again. Also the East is gutted. Also because of backlash and debts to rig the draft elsewhere, the 76ers will never get a top lottery pick again.

C) Changes in the CBA when Gilbert Arenas left Golden State for Washington created some serious long term implications for restricted free agents. Waiting to MATCH for Embiid ( and someone would offer him a sheet) would mean the 76ers would be OBLIGATED to guarantee 100 percent of the contract for injury.

The nature of this contract and Embiid's previous injury history essentially turns this 5 year deal into a likely contract for life situation. A lot of finer details are also not out yet.

It's easy to call them stupid. But nothing about this was simple. As more details come out, it's better to evaluate it then, when one can see the games played provisions, the unlikely to be earned incentive provisions, etc.

Loopholing this deal ,which I'm guessing Philly might have done, since word out is they consulted NON NBA cap people out there from other sports, might create a new overall labor issue in place. Agents and the veteran players won't like heavily incentive based contracts.

This is not a dumb deal. It's not a smart deal. It is a high risk deal but it's not as simple as saying the 76ers should not have done it absolutely.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
10/10/2017  4:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/10/2017  5:00 PM
I think the deal includes some injury protections. They really had no choice. When healthy the kid is by far the most promising center in the league by a wide margin. The guy can shoot from the perimeter, he has an advance post game, and he blocks shots and plays defense. Some other team was going to offer him the max and probably include poison pill provisions in the contract to convince the sixers not to match. At least this way, they can structure the contract the way they want and include injury protection.
Trust the Process
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/10/2017  4:59 PM
Giants will have to make a similar decision with OBJ. Great player, but divisive and very injury prone. NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed, but you expect him to want the highest contract of any receiver in the game.

Will be interesting to see what the Giants do.

Embiid is a fine player, but he is a big man with a rather significant history of injury...if he plays 75-80 games/year it is a good contract, if he goes the way he has so far, it will be one of the worst contracts ever.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/10/2017  5:04 PM
TheGame wrote:I think the deal includes some injury protections. They really had no choice. When healthy the kid is by far the most promising center in the league by a wide margin. The guy can shoot from the perimeter, he has an advance post game, and he blocks shots and plays defense. Some other team was going to offer him the max and probably include poison pill provisions in the contract to convince the sixers not to match. At least this way, they can structure the contract the way they want and include injury protection.

his contract would be similar to a nfl player, packed with incentives, and only a small amount guaranteed..

ES
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

10/10/2017  11:12 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
TheGame wrote:I think the deal includes some injury protections. They really had no choice. When healthy the kid is by far the most promising center in the league by a wide margin. The guy can shoot from the perimeter, he has an advance post game, and he blocks shots and plays defense. Some other team was going to offer him the max and probably include poison pill provisions in the contract to convince the sixers not to match. At least this way, they can structure the contract the way they want and include injury protection.

his contract would be similar to a nfl player, packed with incentives, and only a small amount guaranteed..

Yes, and No, with a stronger emphasis on the "No" part.

The relative "push/pull" with incentives in pro sport contracts is they are very LIMITED in nature to prevent circumvention of the actual salary cap in place.

For example, if the Knicks signed Ron Baker, but put in a provision that he'd get a 2 million per year bonus if he made the All Star team. How likely would it be that Baker would actually make an All Star team?

One of the feared base manipulations would be a team gutting itself to cut payroll to nothing, then use incentive based contracts to hit the cap floor for the season. The flip side, and more dangerous, is trying to create a loophole to PAY a player more than his listed salary cap charge. ( This would have been useful for the Warriors and Igoudala this offseason, esp with tax implications and repeater tax implications)

The 31 games actually helps the 76ers here. IIRC, the level of not likely to be earned incentives is partially calculated on injury history and production of previous seasons. The other thing that helped ( or could hurt ) the 76ers here is Michele Roberts, head of the NBAPA is a blithering idiot. But she's demographically basically insulated from any kind of public criticism. But she's probably one of the dumbest people in all of sports today. The lack of a "smoothing" option to the cap spike of a few years ago means more teams will be cap locked this offseason. Fewer teams could have bid for Embiid ( but some team would have) and this created an incentive, plus his health, to sign now. And fast.

Rough guess here, and I haven't done any calculations on what the CBA provisions might do here, the CBA is actually pretty deep on stuff like this, is Embiid is likely to see 60 percent of this money. Up to 80 percent. Unless Philly has unearthed some loophole deep in the CBA no one has used yet.

While the league values wings more, Embiid has positional value. I'd argue this was a better risk than the Clippers resigning Blake Griffin. ( Injury prone, huge contract, older, low positional value)

On the flip side, as a push/pull for fallout, it means Jahlil Okafor will likely be available at some point. I don't think the Knicks can use him, but he'll be out there.

My guess is during the next CBA, the new rules will try to cover this again. Veteran players are the ones negotiating and they don't give a **** about rookies and rookie contracts and rookie rights. They are the first thing to be sacrificed in negotiations. Veterans only care if veterans are getting paid. I keep hearing Melo is a "good guy" Well Melo, Chris Paul and LBJ negotiated to turn the Over 36 rule into the Over 38 Rule, to benefit basically them. Word out is they conceded a lot to do it. Conceded value for ALL PLAYERS in the league. Good guy my @ss. At least Embiid will put his hand up in the air when an opposing player shoots the ball.

This contract will be interesting. It might end up being a hedge point in the next labor war.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/11/2017  9:13 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:all sarcasm aside, Embiid is an advanced stats darling. I wouldn't do that because he's made out of wet paper mache. This Philly fan in the office thinks Embiid can walk on water though. He seems to think he's Hakeem

Bringing some sarcasm back, I heard his Youtube clip where he blocks LeBron two or three times has almost 150 million views. That's a great investment for that many views...

Philly... are we really going to worse than Philly... again?

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
10/11/2017  9:41 AM
Isn't Okafor basically a rough equivalent of Kanter? Perhaps a little beefier, younger, somewhat less polished scorer, already has a history of leg issues.

I've had a hard time understanding the value of contracts since the successive leaps in cap space.

Embiid was absolutely incredible in his 31 games. But his injury/repair history is tough to ignore
What's insane here is that he has NEVER cracked 30 mins in an NBA game. (had a few games where he was within seconds of 30)

In terms of precedence: Ilgauskas played 5 games in 1998-1999 (50-game shortened season), sat out 1999-2000, then played 24 games in 2000-2001. After that, he had one year of 62 games, then averaged 79 games over the next 5 years. He ultimately made 2 all-star games in the process.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there's Greg Oden, whose body broke down...

At least the Sixers have some protection here.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
good lord.... $150mm for Embiid

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy