USA
10/9/2017  9:44 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:i stand by my statement. baker n LT are bums

Baker is playing his first live action and he's not a bum. He's going to be a solid role player for this team. Can he get a chance to get his game shape and rhythm back?

he's a bum LT is a bum i'd rather have jarrett jack on the team.

Yeah OK you can keep bashing Baker but he's NOT a bum and I'm glad he's finally back and working the kinks out. I'm going to enjoy watching him develop this season.

Baker isn't a bum but he needs to become a much better shooter to become a rotation player.

oh ok then why did we give him a deal if he's not even a rotation player lol

Agreed but probably because they project he will eventually develop into one. We know he's a hustle player. He just needs to develop nba skills. Either he does and becomes a player or he doesn't and never gets another contract.

AUTOADVERT
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

10/9/2017  9:46 PM
Some issues in our style of play. Our guys get way too stagnant sometimes in my opinion.
The Future is Bright!
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/9/2017  9:49 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Baker is playing his first live action and he's not a bum. He's going to be a solid role player for this team. Can he get a chance to get his game shape and rhythm back?

Yeah OK you can keep bashing Baker but he's NOT a bum and I'm glad he's finally back and working the kinks out. I'm going to enjoy watching him develop this season.

Baker isn't a bum but he needs to become a much better shooter to become a rotation player.

Agreed but probably because they project he will eventually develop into one. We know he's a hustle player. He just needs to develop nba skills. Either he does and becomes a player or he doesn't and never gets another contract.

He would get zero PT on a playoff team, let alone a contender, and even though we are neither, he's still a 10th to 12th man on any roster rotation.

ES
WP76
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4508

10/9/2017  9:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/9/2017  10:01 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
WP76 wrote:Regardless of what Baker brings or doesn't bring, his three point shot is not a high percentage play and I wish he'd stop jacking them up. While I appreciate his his hustle, as has previously been debated, I question whether or not he has the skills to play at this level. In that light, I also question the commitment the Knick organization has made to him in terms of his contract.

Baker doesn't shoot nearly enough to say that he jacks up any kind of shot. He needs to shoot more to get into a rhythm. Baker was signed by the Knicks from college in large part for his 3pt shooting, but he has been pass first to a fault at times.

Frankly, I don't ever recall seeing him in anything remotely resembling a three point rhythm and certainly not tonight coming off a long layoff. In this game didn't he jack up long range bricks on three consecutive possessions? You'd think he'd be smart enough to recognize when something is so obviously not working--especially something that's not been one of his strong suits.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/9/2017  9:59 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

He would get zero PT on a playoff team, let alone a contender, and even though we are neither, he's still a 10th to 12th man on any roster rotation.

What is the point of saying this? This isn't a contender. This is a team with a lot of players we're looking to develop. Doesn't matter what Baker would be on a team with contender talent. What matters is how he develops in his SECOND season. Dude plays the right way which is more than a lot of players can say.

nixluva
USA
10/9/2017  10:13 PM

That's what I was thinking. I thought it seemed like he was playing a lot of minutes for a preseason blowout.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/9/2017  10:14 PM
WP76 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
WP76 wrote:Regardless of what Baker brings or doesn't bring, his three point shot is not a high percentage play and I wish he'd stop jacking them up. While I appreciate his his hustle, as has previously been debated, I question whether or not he has the skills to play at this level. In that light, I also question the commitment the Knick organization has made to him in terms of his contract.

Baker doesn't shoot nearly enough to say that he jacks up any kind of shot. He needs to shoot more to get into a rhythm. Baker was signed by the Knicks from college in large part for his 3pt shooting, but he has been pass first to a fault at times.

Frankly, I don't ever recall seeing him in anything remotely resembling a three point rhythm and certainly not tonight coming off a long layoff. In this game didn't he jack up long range bricks on three consecutive possessions? You'd think he'd be smart enough to recognize when something is so obviously not working--especially something that's not been one of his strong suits.

Baker spent most of his time distributing the ball, looking to pass. You want your PG taking the occasional shot to keep the defense honest. Problem is that Baker doesn't shoot enough to get into a rhythm. At the end of the game, he started showing some aggressiveness, but Baker has to do that throughout the game. To me thats the only thing thats keeping him from being a quality backup. Has to look more often to score.

nixluva
USA
10/9/2017  10:24 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
WP76 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Baker spent most of his time distributing the ball, looking to pass. You want your PG taking the occasional shot to keep the defense honest. Problem is that Baker doesn't shoot enough to get into a rhythm. At the end of the game, he started showing some aggressiveness, but Baker has to do that throughout the game. To me thats the only thing thats keeping him from being a quality backup. Has to look more often to score.

I saw Baker's offense opening up later last season and I expect him to show improvement this season. This was his 1st game and there's bound to be some rust. Not to mention the Rockets are a top team.

With more floor time Baker will get it going. Add that his team defense is there and he's able to move the ball and set the offense. I like the kid and believe in his game.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
10/9/2017  10:33 PM

Exactly, the guy did nothing to get a two year deal. It was like they were paying him for being professional and hustling on D. That might get you a minimum contract but they paid this guy $4.5 mil per and he cannot shoot threes at all.

Trust the Process
nixluva
USA
10/9/2017  10:43 PM
TheGame wrote:

Exactly, the guy did nothing to get a two year deal. It was like they were paying him for being professional and hustling on D. That might get you a minimum contract but they paid this guy $4.5 mil per and he cannot shoot threes at all.

It's one preseason game and in fact it's his 1st game action. The Knicks believe in him. They aren't basing the contract on what he was last year but seeing him work all summer they trust he's going to improve going forward. Now he's got an entire season to prove it.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

10/9/2017  11:42 PM
TheGame wrote:

I hear you and its a bad contract but we suck so who cares
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/9/2017  11:46 PM
nixluva wrote:

That's what I was thinking. I thought it seemed like he was playing a lot of minutes for a preseason blowout.

They wanted to win the game, that's being competitive and getting into winning habits.

ES
nixluva
USA
10/9/2017  11:54 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

They wanted to win the game, that's being competitive and getting into winning habits.

Sure but it still seemed like overkill to me. The Knicks weren't a serious threat late in the game so I don't agree that it was necessary for a team that is a contender. They didn't need Harden at that point to win the game.

TPercy
Member: #5748

10/9/2017  11:57 PM
Harden wanted to end Baker's career tonight. It seemed rather petty.
The Future is Bright!
mlby1215
Member: #6486

10/10/2017  2:33 AM
I suggest they should not practice triangle secretly. They should play the way GSW plays. I really hate triangle and Phil Jackson are still holding them back.
smackeddog
Member: #883
10/10/2017  4:49 AM
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Sure but it still seemed like overkill to me. The Knicks weren't a serious threat late in the game so I don't agree that it was necessary for a team that is a contender. They didn't need Harden at that point to win the game.

I think D'Antoni is still salty at us over his stint here, and the players are salty because we didn't trade Melo to them. Jokes on them though, as losses are good for us this season!

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
10/10/2017  5:36 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

If he's a long term prospect, why is his deal essentially a 1 year if he shows potential and 2 if he doesnt?

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
10/10/2017  8:28 AM
LT looks slow and cannot hit a 3. Not sure he is worth keeping.

Hardaway is playing fast and loose. I think he will avg 18-22 ppg.

Dotson should get rotation minutes. He competes on all areas of the court. Good player so far.

Baker does the little things but I agree needs to hit open shots. Used to in College, not sure why not now.

Jack looks good as does Sessions. Jack does not have guarantee.

Front court D looked poor tonight.

I am not discouraged too much. Houston won because they make their 3's. NY does not. Ny Needs more consistent 3 pt shooters if they are going to give up so many.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/10/2017  9:11 AM
ultimately it was another messy game. Again.. its preseason. Knicks showed a little fight getting back into it but not much. They are still a mess on the court with some key guys hurt.

Enjoy the process

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
USA
10/10/2017  9:56 AM
fishmike wrote:ultimately it was another messy game. Again.. its preseason. Knicks showed a little fight getting back into it but not much. They are still a mess on the court with some key guys hurt.

Enjoy the process

I actually am going to enjoy the process! 😎 We have a nice group of players to follow this season and see how they develop. This is going to be a real challenge for them. No more BS just basketball.
I can live with that. This is the only way to know just what we have and what we need.

Preseason Gamethread: Knicks v Houston

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy