[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dotson as the starter?
Author Thread
awe1028
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2780

10/6/2017  9:50 PM
I know it is only preseason and just one game with limited minutes at that but Dotson has picked right where he left off from summer league and was quite impressive tonight.

He seems to be the only 2 way player the Knicks have at the 2 guard spot. You could say he is a fusion of McDermott and Baker. He can shoot like Doug and is willing to mix it up on the defense like Ron.

Given Knicks management's commitment to improving the defense would it make sense to start him. With him and Frank in the back court (when Frank is ready of course), the defense immediately improves.

Obviously, it is too early to anoint DD the starter but the way he has played on the defense and his proficiency shooting the ball he should at least get meaningful minutes even in a crowded back court.

AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/6/2017  10:10 PM
His skill set is very similar to lee. He will eventually fill that role. He's definitely an NBA player no doubt. Future 3 and D wing who will be a good role player. But it will take time.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2017  10:21 PM
LOVE Dotson but it's not likely that he's gonna get the nod over Vets. He's still learning and will have to earn a bigger role, which I think he'll be able to do. You can see his 2Way Talent clear as day.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/6/2017  10:34 PM
He carries himself well too. He's saying alot of good things unprompted. He mentioned practice players playing hard makes the team better. You damb right! He seems locked in and very receptive to coaching. I love the kid. He's gotta wait his turn but I bet he finds time on the court often this year
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
10/6/2017  11:17 PM
DD is Long and the jumper is Sweet. He and Nitty would be tough in the backcourt matchup wise. He also boards which is a nice plus.
awe1028

10/6/2017  11:53 PM
Paris907 wrote:DD is Long and the jumper is Sweet. He and Nitty would be tough in the back court match up
wise. He also boards which is a nice plus.

Precisely my point. Obviously DD can shoot it but it is the potential on defense that really has me excited. Just as you mentioned imagine both him and Frank in the back court. That could go a long way toward solving the Knicks's defensive woes. Throw in that KP looked pretty active on defense against the Nets and the Knicks may be on to something. This is the first time in a long time the Knicks have a couple of legitimate 2 way players. Very exciting.
nixluva
USA
10/7/2017  12:24 AM
awe1028 wrote:
Paris907 wrote:DD is Long and the jumper is Sweet. He and Nitty would be tough in the back court match up

Precisely my point. Obviously DD can shoot it but it is the potential on defense that really has me excited. Just as you mentioned imagine both him and Frank in the back court. That could go a long way toward solving the Knicks's defensive woes. Throw in that KP looked pretty active on defense against the Nets and the Knicks may be on to something. This is the first time in a long time the Knicks have a couple of legitimate 2 way players. Very exciting.

Ntilikina and Dotson

Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

10/7/2017  1:45 AM
Somebody is gonna have to play defense at the 2 spot. THJ is still playing that matador defense that he's known for.
"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
awe1028

10/7/2017  2:03 AM
nixluva wrote:
awe1028 wrote:

Ntilikina and Dotson

Good to see their defense isolated on tape as it confirms the potential these two have defensively. I may be jumping the gun a bit and I do like THJR but given how good DD has looked, did the Knicks make a mistake giving THJR so much money?
wargames
Member: #6053

10/7/2017  9:30 AM
awe1028 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
awe1028 wrote:

Ntilikina and Dotson

Good to see their defense isolated on tape as it confirms the potential these two have defensively. I may be jumping the gun a bit and I do like THJR but given how good DD has looked, did the Knicks make a mistake giving THJR so much money?

No because a good team needs depth and there is more to a good team than the 5 starters.

Dotson looks like a great piece to keep around going forward. Maybe in a season or two THjr will become part of a offensively strong bench unit. Right now the Knicks need Timmy's outside scoring ability to take some pressure off the bigs.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/7/2017  9:49 AM
awe1028 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
awe1028 wrote:

Ntilikina and Dotson

He will probably end up playing SF in the future, this year a lot of position switching is unavoidable. His defense doesn't look as improved as it was billed out to be. Still it's just preseason.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/7/2017  10:13 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
awe1028 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
awe1028 wrote:

Ntilikina and Dotson

He will probably end up playing SF in the future, this year a lot of position switching is unavoidable. His defense doesn't look as improved as it was billed out to be. Still it's just preseason.

Yeah, if anything, Dotson may end up being a 3 and D SF of the future for this team. He's long enough.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

10/7/2017  11:22 AM
I've been on the D.Dotson train since we drafted him and became more of a fan watching him in SL and even more of a fan now but he isn't ready for a starting gig over THJ or C.Lee yet but the good thing is all three of them can play SF if need be so we could see a good amount of D.Dotson as the season goes on. Another good thing with him is THJ is gonna take notice of how hard this kid plays on defense which will only help THJ wanna put the effort in on defense especially if he sees D.Dotson getting more and more minutes at SG. Like Hornacek has said, not everyone has to be great defenders to be able to play good defense as a team cause when you have a couple of guys out there giving their all it should rub off on the other guys.
reub
Member: #6227

10/7/2017  8:38 PM
Dotson looks terrific. What I like best about him is that he plays within the system and is totally unselfish.

There's another Knick's blog where they refuse to even acknowledge how good this kid is because he was once accused of rape even though the charges were dropped. We've got a terrific 2 way player staring us right in the face. Who knows, maybe our last draft pick of 2017 Jaramaz will be that good in the future too?

KEEPCAMBYNY
Member: #86
USA
10/7/2017  9:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2017  9:16 PM
I just wanted to take a moment to say.... Phil mutha****in Jackson ladies and gentlemen! Years from now when this team is a contender, remember who was the architect of it all!
I bleed orange and blue for life.
TLover
Member: #381
USA
10/7/2017  10:21 PM
Looks like a better version of Iman Shupert (ironically wearing his #21)

Think Knicks will look to move C.Lee to a playoff team with Dotson then filling his role.

Dude is also strong meaning he can guard bigger players.

awe1028

10/7/2017  10:24 PM
KEEPCAMBYNY wrote:I just wanted to take a moment to say.... Phil mutha****in Jackson ladies and gentlemen! Years from now when this team is a contender, remember who was the architect of it all!

Very True Phil. was unfairly criticized around here IMHO.
reub
Member: #6227

10/7/2017  11:04 PM
KEEPCAMBYNY wrote:I just wanted to take a moment to say.... Phil mutha****in Jackson ladies and gentlemen! Years from now when this team is a contender, remember who was the architect of it all!

Amen!

nixluva
USA
10/7/2017  11:24 PM
reub wrote:

Amen!

In terms of drafting and selecting youth Phil left us a very nice core of talent to build on. For all his faults at least he left that for us.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
10/8/2017  12:37 AM
awe1028 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
awe1028 wrote:

Ntilikina and Dotson

Yes. But it has nothing to do with Dotson. Even if you convinced yourself that THJ is the second coming of Allan Houston, I will resent him the way I resented Allan Houston's contract. At best he could live up to the contract. At worst, we are saddled for years.

This is the Randle.
Dotson as the starter?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy