[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Why They Take A Knee
Author Thread
arkrud
Posts: 30645
Alba Posts: 7
Joined: 8/31/2005
Member: #995
USA
10/6/2017  10:32 PM
nixluva wrote:
arkrud wrote:
nixluva wrote:
arkrud wrote:Its a great country we leave in that allows this kind of protest to take place and people who are protesting are safe and sound.
In most places of the world the consequences will be severe...
I hope that things that dividing us will never change our country to return back to what most of the world still is.

It wasn't that long ago when peaceful protest wasn't being allowed in this country. The lack of violent methods to suppress dissent doesn't mean they're not finding other methods of crushing protests.

Remember that AA's have been pushing this country to actually LIVE UP to its highest ideals. AA's have been pushing to try and make the Country live up to its Constitution. The History of protest has helped to remove Hypocrisy.

Many people from all ways of live build this country as it is together.
The mutual respect is a result of it for absolute majority.
This what makes us strong.
Many things are far away from perfect.
So we all have a lot of work to do... but together we will make it even better place.

The problem is that not enough people feel "we all have a lot of work to do"!!! A very significant amount of people are just fine with how things are and have been in the past. We didn't get here by accident.

Change could be much faster and the only reason it's never been fast is the resistance from those who don't want things to change. As I've pointed out the Federal Government had to use the military in order to enact change for the better. We had to fight a Civil War due to resistance to change.

Why do you think Policing is STILL having problems in how they deal with minorities? SOME people don't think anything needs to be changed!!! What other reason could there be after all this time?

Faster change called revolution. It kills everyone involved.
We need slow evolution. It kills no one.
Military is only for external use, unless you have some junta in power (nazi, religious fanatics, or comunjaks same thing).
We need everyone obey to the law and constitution whatever it is.
And we need to clean up the law from outdated ghosts of the past and preserve it from harsh revisions to the name of short term trends.
Baby steps and patience. Same as with the rebuilding Knicks.

He can teach them to meditate... but no one can control even his own mind...
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Posts: 54674
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2017  11:07 PM
arkrud wrote:
nixluva wrote:
arkrud wrote:
nixluva wrote:
arkrud wrote:Its a great country we leave in that allows this kind of protest to take place and people who are protesting are safe and sound.
In most places of the world the consequences will be severe...
I hope that things that dividing us will never change our country to return back to what most of the world still is.

It wasn't that long ago when peaceful protest wasn't being allowed in this country. The lack of violent methods to suppress dissent doesn't mean they're not finding other methods of crushing protests.

Remember that AA's have been pushing this country to actually LIVE UP to its highest ideals. AA's have been pushing to try and make the Country live up to its Constitution. The History of protest has helped to remove Hypocrisy.

Many people from all ways of live build this country as it is together.
The mutual respect is a result of it for absolute majority.
This what makes us strong.
Many things are far away from perfect.
So we all have a lot of work to do... but together we will make it even better place.

The problem is that not enough people feel "we all have a lot of work to do"!!! A very significant amount of people are just fine with how things are and have been in the past. We didn't get here by accident.

Change could be much faster and the only reason it's never been fast is the resistance from those who don't want things to change. As I've pointed out the Federal Government had to use the military in order to enact change for the better. We had to fight a Civil War due to resistance to change.

Why do you think Policing is STILL having problems in how they deal with minorities? SOME people don't think anything needs to be changed!!! What other reason could there be after all this time?

Faster change called revolution. It kills everyone involved.
We need slow evolution. It kills no one.
Military is only for external use, unless you have some junta in power (nazi, religious fanatics, or comunjaks same thing).
We need everyone obey to the law and constitution whatever it is.
And we need to clean up the law from outdated ghosts of the past and preserve it from harsh revisions to the name of short term trends.
Baby steps and patience. Same as with the rebuilding Knicks.

Easy for you to preach patience when you're Rights are not on the line. AA's have been waiting for 400 years. Do you think my Grandparents or Parents have a right to be frustrated by how long it's taking? How about me my children and grandchildren who are susceptible to the inequities of this system? See it impacts us DIRECTLY.

TPercy
Posts: 24475
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/5/2014
Member: #5748

10/7/2017  9:38 AM
16 unarmed black men were killed in the whole of last year... i think there is an issue of racial profiling, but to suggest that there is a nationwide systematic cop killings because of race is too much in my opinion.
The Future is Bright!
TPercy
Posts: 24475
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/5/2014
Member: #5748

10/7/2017  9:38 AM
Cops are far more likely to be killed by black men than for black men to be killed by cops
The Future is Bright!
Bonn1997
Posts: 58179
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
10/7/2017  9:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2017  9:56 AM
TPercy wrote:16 unarmed black men were killed in the whole of last year... i think there is an issue of racial profiling, but to suggest that there is a nationwide systematic cop killings because of race is too much in my opinion.

No disrespect to you but what a useless stat.
If you're armed but do not pose a threat to the officer's life or anyone else's, the officers cannot just shoot you. In many situations, it's not even illegal for a person to be armed (and even when it is, a cop can't just decide he wants to shoot you).
If you're unarmed and white, the officers cannot just shoot you either. Race is part of the discussion but it's not the entire discussion. I've never heard the kneeling players say they don't care about unarmed white people shot by police.
Clean
Posts: 24410
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 8/22/2004
Member: #743
10/7/2017  9:56 AM
TPercy wrote:Cops are far more likely to be killed by black men than for black men to be killed by cops

well that statement really means nothing. You can say the same exact thing about almost every race. Of course that is going to be the case when the number of a specific race vastly outnumbers police officers. I don't know if that number you gave in your previous post is true or not but it really does not matter to me. You don't have to look at numbers to tell something is wrong. There was a naked guy who was high off drugs or mentally ill that was frantically running around and he was shot by police. Why was a guy who was naked shot? You know for sure he has no weapons because he is naked. I tried to find the story and this is apparently more common than I thought. There seems to be a lot of unarmed naked guys who are shot by police.
nixluva
Posts: 54674
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/7/2017  10:19 AM
Reforming or Reinforcing best practices for Police is the first place to start. Race sensitivity training and de-escalation training is also needed. Uniformity across the Nation with regard to the amount of training and vetting of fitness to serve would also help.

Some seem to be suggesting that this isn't fixable or not as serious an issue as it is. Just remember that the Police SHOOTING of unarmed AA's is not the ONLY problem. Overall Abusive behavior and over Policing is also a huge problem.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/the-problem-with-broken-windows-policing/

TPercy
Posts: 24475
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/5/2014
Member: #5748

10/7/2017  12:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2017  12:28 PM
No disrespect taken. You guys refuted my points well but I guess what I am trying to say now is that I think we need more data. I find all these videos on social media to be very useless because it is very easy to sway someone emotionally with anecdotes. Seriously, even if we added up all the videos of police shootings and even brutality for that matter, you still wouldn't have enough to taint 900,000 officers(or thereabouts) as systematically racist or even forceful for that matter.
The Future is Bright!
nixluva
Posts: 54674
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/7/2017  1:41 PM
TPercy wrote:No disrespect taken. You guys refuted my points well but I guess what I am trying to say now is that I think we need more data. I find all these videos on social media to be very useless because it is very easy to sway someone emotionally with anecdotes. Seriously, even if we added up all the videos of police shootings and even brutality for that matter, you still wouldn't have enough to taint 900,000 officers(or thereabouts) as systematically racist or even forceful for that matter.

I don't think anyone is suggesting All or even Most police are bad or Racist. The problem is that there is a problem with how Police are trained and often many policies that create the circumstances for abuse and unfortunately killings.

IF you live in a community or City that has historically over policed and been over aggressive in tactics that's a systemic problem.

Investigators have found abuse in Police Departments
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6787804

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/05/us/justice-dept-inquiry-finds-abuses-by-cleveland-police.html?referer=https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVyFJEdlZyZsAuBtx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1507426761/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.nytimes.com%2f2014%2f12%2f05%2fus%2fjustice-dept-inquiry-finds-abuses-by-cleveland-police.html/RK=1/RS=XAd9T8Btr2RKBbSlaX9OwyYU38c-

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/09/489372162/justice-department-to-issue-critical-report-on-baltimore-police-department

Bonn1997
Posts: 58179
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
10/7/2017  1:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2017  1:46 PM
TPercy wrote:No disrespect taken. You guys refuted my points well but I guess what I am trying to say now is that I think we need more data. I find all these videos on social media to be very useless because it is very easy to sway someone emotionally with anecdotes. Seriously, even if we added up all the videos of police shootings and even brutality for that matter, you still wouldn't have enough to taint 900,000 officers(or thereabouts) as systematically racist or even forceful for that matter.

A scientist shouldn't say anecdotes are useless. They can captivate audiences who can then be shown data. They're often a useful starting point. I don't think the purpose of this was to taint 900,000 officers. Can one write about the seriousness of medical errors (3rd leading cause of death in the US now) without tainting the 1 million physicians in the US? If you can tolerate this world's unavoidable nuances (doctors save many lives but there still is serious room for improvement in their practices), then I don't see why not.
Zebo13
Posts: 20122
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/31/2017
Member: #6434
USA
10/7/2017  2:13 PM
Chandler wrote:Nixluva on this and a number of other topics, you're a forceful voice and should be commended.

I wish there were a weapon (taser?) or technique to mitigate this, and I wish people didn't run too (though that's not to excuse anything)

I also wish that inner city schools, and schools in poor communities, weren't so relatively neglected (this actually troubles me the most for some reason)

I totally understand the "why" they kneel; it's the when and where which I wish there was a different choice. Sit-ins for example were in the right context -- at the scene of the crime if you will. Taking a knee during the anthem is dicey. It can be interpreted as an attempt to steal the spotlight when people are trying to pay respect to fallen heroes, etc. I wish I had a better answer than that.

You can't tell oppressed people when and where to protest. That's fascism.

Zebo13
Posts: 20122
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/31/2017
Member: #6434
USA
10/7/2017  2:17 PM
nixluva wrote:
Chandler wrote:Nixluva on this and a number of other topics, you're a forceful voice and should be commended.

I wish there were a weapon (taser?) or technique to mitigate this, and I wish people didn't run too (though that's not to excuse anything)

I also wish that inner city schools, and schools in poor communities, weren't so relatively neglected (this actually troubles me the most for some reason)

I totally understand the "why" they kneel; it's the when and where which I wish there was a different choice. Sit-ins for example were in the right context -- at the scene of the crime if you will. Taking a knee during the anthem is dicey. It can be interpreted as an attempt to steal the spotlight when people are trying to pay respect to fallen heroes, etc. I wish I had a better answer than that.

This exactly why it's done during the Anthem. In this country NOTHING ever changed for the better until activists pushed the issues in the face of the general public. Civil Rights Activitists in the 40's thru the 60's were never popular in their time. Public opinion was very similar when Sit Ins were being done or Marches. They persisted and in time CHANGE was achieved.

The problem is that this country never truly dealt with its history on Race! There was a very brief period of hope during Reconstruction but that came to an end in 1877 and all hell broke loose on the AA Community and that's led to the poor state of relations we see now.

After the Civil Rights victories of the 60's came another backlash similar to 1877. Republicans used the Southern Strategy and AA's became the pawn in politics. Republicans could use fear of AA's as a wedge to win votes. They're STILL using it cuz it works and always has.

I agree with everything you say about the Knicks, makes sense that you're spot the **** on about other topics too. Good stuff.

Been sharing this a lot lately due to its incredible relevance.

“I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.”

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

TPercy
Posts: 24475
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/5/2014
Member: #5748

10/7/2017  2:18 PM
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:No disrespect taken. You guys refuted my points well but I guess what I am trying to say now is that I think we need more data. I find all these videos on social media to be very useless because it is very easy to sway someone emotionally with anecdotes. Seriously, even if we added up all the videos of police shootings and even brutality for that matter, you still wouldn't have enough to taint 900,000 officers(or thereabouts) as systematically racist or even forceful for that matter.

I don't think anyone is suggesting All or even Most police are bad or Racist. The problem is that there is a problem with how Police are trained and often many policies that create the circumstances for abuse and unfortunately killings.

IF you live in a community or City that has historically over policed and been over aggressive in tactics that's a systemic problem.

Investigators have found abuse in Police Departments
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6787804

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/05/us/justice-dept-inquiry-finds-abuses-by-cleveland-police.html?referer=https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVyFJEdlZyZsAuBtx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1507426761/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.nytimes.com%2f2014%2f12%2f05%2fus%2fjustice-dept-inquiry-finds-abuses-by-cleveland-police.html/RK=1/RS=XAd9T8Btr2RKBbSlaX9OwyYU38c-

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/09/489372162/justice-department-to-issue-critical-report-on-baltimore-police-department

Nix I agree with you on this but I believe that this is an issue that must be tackled on the state level. All states are inherently different and as such how they execute their police powers are going to be different as well. There is no single national curriculum for police training; instead, the training requirements and protocol is different. The cops in Baltimore and Cleveland as you cited have problems with their use of force, that doesn't mean that same problem is the same in other states, which kind of ties into part of issues with protesting police brutality on a national level because it assumes that this is a problem that must be tackled centrally instead of encouraging states and in particular cities to gather data and find a way of tackling it from there.

The Future is Bright!
TPercy
Posts: 24475
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/5/2014
Member: #5748

10/7/2017  2:29 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
TPercy wrote:No disrespect taken. You guys refuted my points well but I guess what I am trying to say now is that I think we need more data. I find all these videos on social media to be very useless because it is very easy to sway someone emotionally with anecdotes. Seriously, even if we added up all the videos of police shootings and even brutality for that matter, you still wouldn't have enough to taint 900,000 officers(or thereabouts) as systematically racist or even forceful for that matter.

A scientist shouldn't say anecdotes are useless. They can captivate audiences who can then be shown data. They're often a useful starting point. I don't think the purpose of this was to taint 900,000 officers. Can one write about the seriousness of medical errors (3rd leading cause of death in the US now) without tainting the 1 million physicians in the US? If you can tolerate this world's unavoidable nuances (doctors save many lives but there still is serious room for improvement in their practices), then I don't see why not.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant that anecdotes by themselves are useless. Anecdotes should and must be brought up as much as possible but people shouldn't derive their opinions solely off of anecdotes. It's kind of like how we analyze basketball. Me and you never just base our opinions off the the eye test alone. We look at the data to see if it corroborated why we are saying and then make our opinions

The Future is Bright!
nixluva
Posts: 54674
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/7/2017  2:32 PM
TPercy wrote:
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:No disrespect taken. You guys refuted my points well but I guess what I am trying to say now is that I think we need more data. I find all these videos on social media to be very useless because it is very easy to sway someone emotionally with anecdotes. Seriously, even if we added up all the videos of police shootings and even brutality for that matter, you still wouldn't have enough to taint 900,000 officers(or thereabouts) as systematically racist or even forceful for that matter.

I don't think anyone is suggesting All or even Most police are bad or Racist. The problem is that there is a problem with how Police are trained and often many policies that create the circumstances for abuse and unfortunately killings.

IF you live in a community or City that has historically over policed and been over aggressive in tactics that's a systemic problem.

Investigators have found abuse in Police Departments
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6787804

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/05/us/justice-dept-inquiry-finds-abuses-by-cleveland-police.html?referer=https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVyFJEdlZyZsAuBtx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1507426761/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.nytimes.com%2f2014%2f12%2f05%2fus%2fjustice-dept-inquiry-finds-abuses-by-cleveland-police.html/RK=1/RS=XAd9T8Btr2RKBbSlaX9OwyYU38c-

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/09/489372162/justice-department-to-issue-critical-report-on-baltimore-police-department

Nix I agree with you on this but I believe that this is an issue that must be tackled on the state level. All states are inherently different and as such how they execute their police powers are going to be different as well. There is no single national curriculum for police training; instead, the training requirements and protocol is different. The cops in Baltimore and Cleveland as you cited have problems with their use of force, that doesn't mean that same problem is the same in other states, which kind of ties into part of issues with protesting police brutality on a national level because it assumes that this is a problem that must be tackled centrally instead of encouraging states and in particular cities to gather data and find a way of tackling it from there.

Well I think perhaps you may be misunderstanding the purpose of the National movement. Best practices are best practices and teaching proper engagement with citizens will be generally applicable no matter where you are. Of course you can't have a Boilerplate solution that fits all the various Cities and Towns but the problem is that FAR TOO MANY Police Departments fail entirely to even recognize they have a problem.

We're talking about GROSS abuse across multiple cities over decades. Until the protests pretty much forced the DOJ to go in and investigate NO ONE was looking to change or improve anything. In fact these Police Departments denied there was even a problem.

TPercy
Posts: 24475
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/5/2014
Member: #5748

10/7/2017  2:39 PM
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:No disrespect taken. You guys refuted my points well but I guess what I am trying to say now is that I think we need more data. I find all these videos on social media to be very useless because it is very easy to sway someone emotionally with anecdotes. Seriously, even if we added up all the videos of police shootings and even brutality for that matter, you still wouldn't have enough to taint 900,000 officers(or thereabouts) as systematically racist or even forceful for that matter.

I don't think anyone is suggesting All or even Most police are bad or Racist. The problem is that there is a problem with how Police are trained and often many policies that create the circumstances for abuse and unfortunately killings.

IF you live in a community or City that has historically over policed and been over aggressive in tactics that's a systemic problem.

Investigators have found abuse in Police Departments
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6787804

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/05/us/justice-dept-inquiry-finds-abuses-by-cleveland-police.html?referer=https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVyFJEdlZyZsAuBtx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1507426761/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.nytimes.com%2f2014%2f12%2f05%2fus%2fjustice-dept-inquiry-finds-abuses-by-cleveland-police.html/RK=1/RS=XAd9T8Btr2RKBbSlaX9OwyYU38c-

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/09/489372162/justice-department-to-issue-critical-report-on-baltimore-police-department

Nix I agree with you on this but I believe that this is an issue that must be tackled on the state level. All states are inherently different and as such how they execute their police powers are going to be different as well. There is no single national curriculum for police training; instead, the training requirements and protocol is different. The cops in Baltimore and Cleveland as you cited have problems with their use of force, that doesn't mean that same problem is the same in other states, which kind of ties into part of issues with protesting police brutality on a national level because it assumes that this is a problem that must be tackled centrally instead of encouraging states and in particular cities to gather data and find a way of tackling it from there.

Well I think perhaps you may be misunderstanding the purpose of the National movement. Best practices are best practices and teaching proper engagement with citizens will be generally applicable no matter where you are. Of course you can't have a Boilerplate solution that fits all the various Cities and Towns but the problem is that FAR TOO MANY Police Departments fail entirely to even recognize they have a problem.

We're talking about GROSS abuse across multiple cities over decades. Until the protests pretty much forced the DOJ to go in and investigate NO ONE was looking to change or improve anything. In fact these Police Departments denied there was even a problem.

You are proposing that cities should all adopt a uniform practice and I don't think that is a reasonable goal because as I stated previously different states have different issues, not to mention whst you are asking for would be unconstitutional if I interpreted what you said correctly.

What multiple cities are we talking about here? Was there a city by city study done across the nation that I'm unaware of? Not to mention I'm fairly certain the investigation into the Baltimore PD happened before Kap started protesting

The Future is Bright!
Bonn1997
Posts: 58179
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
10/7/2017  2:46 PM
TPercy wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
TPercy wrote:No disrespect taken. You guys refuted my points well but I guess what I am trying to say now is that I think we need more data. I find all these videos on social media to be very useless because it is very easy to sway someone emotionally with anecdotes. Seriously, even if we added up all the videos of police shootings and even brutality for that matter, you still wouldn't have enough to taint 900,000 officers(or thereabouts) as systematically racist or even forceful for that matter.

A scientist shouldn't say anecdotes are useless. They can captivate audiences who can then be shown data. They're often a useful starting point. I don't think the purpose of this was to taint 900,000 officers. Can one write about the seriousness of medical errors (3rd leading cause of death in the US now) without tainting the 1 million physicians in the US? If you can tolerate this world's unavoidable nuances (doctors save many lives but there still is serious room for improvement in their practices), then I don't see why not.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant that anecdotes by themselves are useless. Anecdotes should and must be brought up as much as possible but people shouldn't derive their opinions solely off of anecdotes. It's kind of like how we analyze basketball. Me and you never just base our opinions off the the eye test alone. We look at the data to see if it corroborated why we are saying and then make our opinions


OK, I would agree with this.
newyorknewyork
Posts: 26895
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
10/7/2017  3:19 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
TPercy wrote:No disrespect taken. You guys refuted my points well but I guess what I am trying to say now is that I think we need more data. I find all these videos on social media to be very useless because it is very easy to sway someone emotionally with anecdotes. Seriously, even if we added up all the videos of police shootings and even brutality for that matter, you still wouldn't have enough to taint 900,000 officers(or thereabouts) as systematically racist or even forceful for that matter.

A scientist shouldn't say anecdotes are useless. They can captivate audiences who can then be shown data. They're often a useful starting point. I don't think the purpose of this was to taint 900,000 officers. Can one write about the seriousness of medical errors (3rd leading cause of death in the US now) without tainting the 1 million physicians in the US? If you can tolerate this world's unavoidable nuances (doctors save many lives but there still is serious room for improvement in their practices), then I don't see why not.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant that anecdotes by themselves are useless. Anecdotes should and must be brought up as much as possible but people shouldn't derive their opinions solely off of anecdotes. It's kind of like how we analyze basketball. Me and you never just base our opinions off the the eye test alone. We look at the data to see if it corroborated why we are saying and then make our opinions


OK, I would agree with this.

Its not just the number of Africans Americans being shot by police. Its also the how, its also the why. Its also when these things aren't justified there has been no accountablitlity. If rogue cops made poor decisions yet were held accountable for their actions that would limit the outrage. Then there is the excuses and finger pointing. For example 900,000 other officers should be tainted due to the actions of the bad apples. But yet African Americans get an enormous amount of generalizations due to the actions of few in order to justify that stance.

And policd brutality is just one layer. Its also the unjust justice system. There is so much evidence available to justify the outrage. To not understand is to either not care to know or care about the result.

TPercy
Posts: 24475
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/5/2014
Member: #5748

10/7/2017  3:26 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
TPercy wrote:No disrespect taken. You guys refuted my points well but I guess what I am trying to say now is that I think we need more data. I find all these videos on social media to be very useless because it is very easy to sway someone emotionally with anecdotes. Seriously, even if we added up all the videos of police shootings and even brutality for that matter, you still wouldn't have enough to taint 900,000 officers(or thereabouts) as systematically racist or even forceful for that matter.

A scientist shouldn't say anecdotes are useless. They can captivate audiences who can then be shown data. They're often a useful starting point. I don't think the purpose of this was to taint 900,000 officers. Can one write about the seriousness of medical errors (3rd leading cause of death in the US now) without tainting the 1 million physicians in the US? If you can tolerate this world's unavoidable nuances (doctors save many lives but there still is serious room for improvement in their practices), then I don't see why not.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant that anecdotes by themselves are useless. Anecdotes should and must be brought up as much as possible but people shouldn't derive their opinions solely off of anecdotes. It's kind of like how we analyze basketball. Me and you never just base our opinions off the the eye test alone. We look at the data to see if it corroborated why we are saying and then make our opinions


OK, I would agree with this.

Its not just the number of Africans Americans being shot by police. Its also the how, its also the why. Its also when these things aren't justified there has been no accountablitlity. If rogue cops made poor decisions yet were held accountable for their actions that would limit the outrage. Then there is the excuses and finger pointing. For example 900,000 other officers should be tainted due to the actions of the bad apples. But yet African Americans get an enormous amount of generalizations due to the actions of few in order to justify that stance.

And policd brutality is just one layer. Its also the unjust justice system. There is so much evidence available to justify the outrage. To not understand is to either not care to know or care about the result.


How do you know for a fact that bad caps are routinely not being held accountable for their actions?
The Future is Bright!
nixluva
Posts: 54674
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/7/2017  3:39 PM
TPercy wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
TPercy wrote:No disrespect taken. You guys refuted my points well but I guess what I am trying to say now is that I think we need more data. I find all these videos on social media to be very useless because it is very easy to sway someone emotionally with anecdotes. Seriously, even if we added up all the videos of police shootings and even brutality for that matter, you still wouldn't have enough to taint 900,000 officers(or thereabouts) as systematically racist or even forceful for that matter.

A scientist shouldn't say anecdotes are useless. They can captivate audiences who can then be shown data. They're often a useful starting point. I don't think the purpose of this was to taint 900,000 officers. Can one write about the seriousness of medical errors (3rd leading cause of death in the US now) without tainting the 1 million physicians in the US? If you can tolerate this world's unavoidable nuances (doctors save many lives but there still is serious room for improvement in their practices), then I don't see why not.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant that anecdotes by themselves are useless. Anecdotes should and must be brought up as much as possible but people shouldn't derive their opinions solely off of anecdotes. It's kind of like how we analyze basketball. Me and you never just base our opinions off the the eye test alone. We look at the data to see if it corroborated why we are saying and then make our opinions


OK, I would agree with this.

Its not just the number of Africans Americans being shot by police. Its also the how, its also the why. Its also when these things aren't justified there has been no accountablitlity. If rogue cops made poor decisions yet were held accountable for their actions that would limit the outrage. Then there is the excuses and finger pointing. For example 900,000 other officers should be tainted due to the actions of the bad apples. But yet African Americans get an enormous amount of generalizations due to the actions of few in order to justify that stance.

And policd brutality is just one layer. Its also the unjust justice system. There is so much evidence available to justify the outrage. To not understand is to either not care to know or care about the result.


How do you know for a fact that bad caps are routinely not being held accountable for their actions?

I just posted articles showing the DOJ found many Police Departments guilty of abuse so there's AMPLE PROOF that cops have been getting away with abuse. If you simply do a Google Search you would find all the info you need.

OT: Why They Take A Knee

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.