[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Why They Take A Knee
Author Thread
nixluva
Posts: 55454
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2017  1:15 PM

Yes sometimes people run from the Police. It's not the right thing to do but it's something that happens and Cops know it. The thing is how Police react has to been within the Law, Police Policy and Reason! This is just way too common to be acceptable.

AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Posts: 22325
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/26/2015
Member: #6197

10/6/2017  1:38 PM
Nixluva on this and a number of other topics, you're a forceful voice and should be commended.

I wish there were a weapon (taser?) or technique to mitigate this, and I wish people didn't run too (though that's not to excuse anything)

I also wish that inner city schools, and schools in poor communities, weren't so relatively neglected (this actually troubles me the most for some reason)

I totally understand the "why" they kneel; it's the when and where which I wish there was a different choice. Sit-ins for example were in the right context -- at the scene of the crime if you will. Taking a knee during the anthem is dicey. It can be interpreted as an attempt to steal the spotlight when people are trying to pay respect to fallen heroes, etc. I wish I had a better answer than that.

DJMUSIC: Fisher talked a good game in Post game but aside from that Derek Fisher was ALL CHIT CHAT SH_t and produced nothing!
nixluva
Posts: 55454
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2017  2:18 PM
Chandler wrote:Nixluva on this and a number of other topics, you're a forceful voice and should be commended.

I wish there were a weapon (taser?) or technique to mitigate this, and I wish people didn't run too (though that's not to excuse anything)

I also wish that inner city schools, and schools in poor communities, weren't so relatively neglected (this actually troubles me the most for some reason)

I totally understand the "why" they kneel; it's the when and where which I wish there was a different choice. Sit-ins for example were in the right context -- at the scene of the crime if you will. Taking a knee during the anthem is dicey. It can be interpreted as an attempt to steal the spotlight when people are trying to pay respect to fallen heroes, etc. I wish I had a better answer than that.

This exactly why it's done during the Anthem. In this country NOTHING ever changed for the better until activists pushed the issues in the face of the general public. Civil Rights Activitists in the 40's thru the 60's were never popular in their time. Public opinion was very similar when Sit Ins were being done or Marches. They persisted and in time CHANGE was achieved.

The problem is that this country never truly dealt with its history on Race! There was a very brief period of hope during Reconstruction but that came to an end in 1877 and all hell broke loose on the AA Community and that's led to the poor state of relations we see now.

After the Civil Rights victories of the 60's came another backlash similar to 1877. Republicans used the Southern Strategy and AA's became the pawn in politics. Republicans could use fear of AA's as a wedge to win votes. They're STILL using it cuz it works and always has.

Knickoftime
Posts: 23205
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2011
Member: #3370

10/6/2017  2:45 PM
Chandler wrote:I totally understand the "why" they kneel; it's the when and where which I wish there was a different choice. Sit-ins for example were in the right context -- at the scene of the crime if you will. Taking a knee during the anthem is dicey. It can be interpreted as an attempt to steal the spotlight when people are trying to pay respect to fallen heroes, etc. I wish I had a better answer than that.

I think this is the stage where we either have to agree to be engaged in the topic or agree not to rush to judgment. It has to be one or the other. If anyone listens to the people who are doing this and hear them explain why they're doing it I have a difficult time believing anyone would come away with any impression other than these young men are thoughtful, respectful, and engaged - that their motivations are genuine.

Any conclusion that they're doing this for fame or attention and intending to disrespect people serving in the Armed Forces seems like a very superficial conclusion.

newyorknewyork
Posts: 27214
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
10/6/2017  2:56 PM
60% of public didnt agree with MLK during his time. Wasnt until he died that he was viewed more favorably. Muhammad Ali,wasnt until he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.

The tone of the officer through out the limited diagloge that we have gotten access to. Didnt seem to view the dude he shot as a human being. Very high alert for a dude he stopped for a bicycle sitation. I guess finding out what the warrant was for would maybe make more sense of it.

After he was shot and laying on the ground in pain. There didnt seem to be any urgency to get him medical help. You know to stop him from bleeding out.

Chandler
Posts: 22325
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/26/2015
Member: #6197

10/6/2017  4:33 PM
nixluva wrote:
Chandler wrote:Nixluva on this and a number of other topics, you're a forceful voice and should be commended.

I wish there were a weapon (taser?) or technique to mitigate this, and I wish people didn't run too (though that's not to excuse anything)

I also wish that inner city schools, and schools in poor communities, weren't so relatively neglected (this actually troubles me the most for some reason)

I totally understand the "why" they kneel; it's the when and where which I wish there was a different choice. Sit-ins for example were in the right context -- at the scene of the crime if you will. Taking a knee during the anthem is dicey. It can be interpreted as an attempt to steal the spotlight when people are trying to pay respect to fallen heroes, etc. I wish I had a better answer than that.

This exactly why it's done during the Anthem. In this country NOTHING ever changed for the better until activists pushed the issues in the face of the general public. Civil Rights Activitists in the 40's thru the 60's were never popular in their time. Public opinion was very similar when Sit Ins were being done or Marches. They persisted and in time CHANGE was achieved.

The problem is that this country never truly dealt with its history on Race! There was a very brief period of hope during Reconstruction but that came to an end in 1877 and all hell broke loose on the AA Community and that's led to the poor state of relations we see now.

After the Civil Rights victories of the 60's came another backlash similar to 1877. Republicans used the Southern Strategy and AA's became the pawn in politics. Republicans could use fear of AA's as a wedge to win votes. They're STILL using it cuz it works and always has.

I'm not disagreeing w any of this. Just thinking it would be better to push the issues in the face of the public in a different way

DJMUSIC: Fisher talked a good game in Post game but aside from that Derek Fisher was ALL CHIT CHAT SH_t and produced nothing!
nyk4ever
Posts: 40908
Alba Posts: 12
Joined: 1/12/2005
Member: #848
USA
10/6/2017  4:39 PM
not only do the issues have to be pushed in front of my face during the national anthem, they also have to be all over my favorite sports forum. i come here to get away from real life.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
nixluva
Posts: 55454
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2017  4:46 PM
Chandler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Chandler wrote:Nixluva on this and a number of other topics, you're a forceful voice and should be commended.

I wish there were a weapon (taser?) or technique to mitigate this, and I wish people didn't run too (though that's not to excuse anything)

I also wish that inner city schools, and schools in poor communities, weren't so relatively neglected (this actually troubles me the most for some reason)

I totally understand the "why" they kneel; it's the when and where which I wish there was a different choice. Sit-ins for example were in the right context -- at the scene of the crime if you will. Taking a knee during the anthem is dicey. It can be interpreted as an attempt to steal the spotlight when people are trying to pay respect to fallen heroes, etc. I wish I had a better answer than that.

This exactly why it's done during the Anthem. In this country NOTHING ever changed for the better until activists pushed the issues in the face of the general public. Civil Rights Activitists in the 40's thru the 60's were never popular in their time. Public opinion was very similar when Sit Ins were being done or Marches. They persisted and in time CHANGE was achieved.

The problem is that this country never truly dealt with its history on Race! There was a very brief period of hope during Reconstruction but that came to an end in 1877 and all hell broke loose on the AA Community and that's led to the poor state of relations we see now.

After the Civil Rights victories of the 60's came another backlash similar to 1877. Republicans used the Southern Strategy and AA's became the pawn in politics. Republicans could use fear of AA's as a wedge to win votes. They're STILL using it cuz it works and always has.

I'm not disagreeing w any of this. Just thinking it would be better to push the issues in the face of the public in a different way

To be honest it doesn't matter. This isn't NEW! The issues with AA's and Law Enforcement have been fraught for a very long time. The Cell Phone age and on body cameras just make it possible to document what's been going on all this time.

The Majority of the populace doesn't have to deal with this since it's mostly contained in AA Communities. ALL Civil Rights issues were this way! This is why the protest has to be in their face and uncomfortable.

It's always been that way. Being in my 50's with parents and grandparents etc that are much older, I can tell you this is a very deep and painful reality. To go thru Generations knowing that things have NEVER been fair or just for AA's in this country. Imagine being a kid in the hood with very few options, drugs, gangs and on top of that the Police as an occupying force you FEAR?

Knickoftime
Posts: 23205
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2011
Member: #3370

10/6/2017  4:46 PM
nyk4ever wrote:not only do the issues have to be pushed in front of my face during the national anthem, they also have to be all over my favorite sports forum. i come here to get away from real life.

Is seeing "OT: Why They Take A Knee" really that disturbing?g

nyk4ever
Posts: 40908
Alba Posts: 12
Joined: 1/12/2005
Member: #848
USA
10/6/2017  4:49 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:not only do the issues have to be pushed in front of my face during the national anthem, they also have to be all over my favorite sports forum. i come here to get away from real life.

Is seeing "OT: Why They Take A Knee" really that disturbing?g

of course its not disturbing. but i come here to talk knicks, not sift through threads on which ones are actually knicks related.

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
nixluva
Posts: 55454
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2017  4:50 PM
nyk4ever wrote:not only do the issues have to be pushed in front of my face during the national anthem, they also have to be all over my favorite sports forum. i come here to get away from real life.

You know what would be nice? To FIX the problems rather than just try to escape from reality for a few hours. Imagine being in an affected Minority group and always having this crushing issue hanging over your daily life? 1619 to 2017 and we still haven't fixed the original sin of this nation.

nyk4ever
Posts: 40908
Alba Posts: 12
Joined: 1/12/2005
Member: #848
USA
10/6/2017  4:54 PM
nixluva wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:not only do the issues have to be pushed in front of my face during the national anthem, they also have to be all over my favorite sports forum. i come here to get away from real life.

You know what would be nice? To FIX the problems rather than just try to escape from reality for a few hours. Imagine being in an affected Minority group and always having this crushing issue hanging over your daily life? 1619 to 2017 and we still haven't fixed the original sin of this nation.

you have a voice and so do i. of course i'd love to see things fixed for everyone, but with the season starting id rather not see this forum littered with political and social injustice threads, i come here for the knicks, not for the other stuff. imo, there are plenty of other outlets for topics other than knicks.

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
TheGame
Posts: 25160
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/15/2006
Member: #1154
USA
10/6/2017  4:57 PM
This kneeling thing is a tough question. I fully support protesting police brutality. However, I also think that people should stand for the anthem. I think it was suggested to kaepernick by a navy seal that he should kneel instead of sitting to show some level of respect for the anthem, which is why he started kneeling instead of sitting. I think the players would have been better served doing some protest either before or after the anthem. If for no other reason, doing it during the anthem allows people who don't want the protests to succeed to change the narrative and make it about not supporting troop.
Playoffs or bust
nixluva
Posts: 55454
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2017  5:12 PM
TheGame wrote:This kneeling thing is a tough question. I fully support protesting police brutality. However, I also think that people should stand for the anthem. I think it was suggested to kaepernick by a navy seal that he should kneel instead of sitting to show some level of respect for the anthem, which is why he started kneeling instead of sitting. I think the players would have been better served doing some protest either before or after the anthem. If for no other reason, doing it during the anthem allows people who don't want the protests to succeed to change the narrative and make it about not supporting troop.

This may be true but I find it funny that the Opressed always have to make accommodations for how they protest INJUSTICE! Just imagine what Frederick Douglass would think if he could come back after all these years and see this? They would've Burned or Hanged him if they got their hands on him. That's how they used to shutdown protest. My Dad is from the more Militant Black Power days. He's experienced much more violent and direct racism and has very little patience for passifying the feelings of people when it comes to INJUSTICE.

AA's were on the edge of violence at times in the 60's but PEACEFUL and SLOW action is what they settled on. I'm proud of that but I can understand being tired of waiting for full equality and not giving a F about how some feel about how they protest.

HofstraBBall
Posts: 22368
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/21/2015
Member: #6192

10/6/2017  6:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2017  6:27 PM
Did anyone see the article on how Kanter wanted to take a knee? What do you think would be the reaction in New York? My view is everyone has the right to protest anything they are oppose to in any legal manner they see fit. Specially inequality. I may not have chosen the same manner of protest but who am I to judge. And I believe athletes should be brining social issues to light. As should everyone.
Melo Haters = Lin lovers who are mad Houston paid so much for his 15 Minutes,
HofstraBBall
Posts: 22368
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/21/2015
Member: #6192

10/6/2017  6:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2017  6:32 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:not only do the issues have to be pushed in front of my face during the national anthem, they also have to be all over my favorite sports forum. i come here to get away from real life.

Is seeing "OT: Why They Take A Knee" really that disturbing?g

Perhaps it should be labled:
OOT-DPT? (Off Off Topic - Dangerous Political Talk)

Melo Haters = Lin lovers who are mad Houston paid so much for his 15 Minutes,
arkrud
Posts: 30750
Alba Posts: 7
Joined: 8/31/2005
Member: #995
USA
10/6/2017  7:03 PM
Its a great country we leave in that allows this kind of protest to take place and people who are protesting are safe and sound.
In most places of the world the consequences will be severe...
I hope that things that dividing us will never change our country to return back to what most of the world still is.
He can teach them to meditate... but no one can control even his own mind...
nixluva
Posts: 55454
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2017  7:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2017  7:13 PM
arkrud wrote:Its a great country we leave in that allows this kind of protest to take place and people who are protesting are safe and sound.
In most places of the world the consequences will be severe...
I hope that things that dividing us will never change our country to return back to what most of the world still is.

It wasn't that long ago when peaceful protest wasn't being allowed in this country. The lack of violent methods to suppress dissent doesn't mean they're not finding other methods of crushing protests.

Remember that AA's have been pushing this country to actually LIVE UP to its highest ideals. AA's have been pushing to try and make the Country live up to its Constitution. The History of protest has helped to remove Hypocrisy.

arkrud
Posts: 30750
Alba Posts: 7
Joined: 8/31/2005
Member: #995
USA
10/6/2017  8:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2017  8:48 PM
nixluva wrote:
arkrud wrote:Its a great country we leave in that allows this kind of protest to take place and people who are protesting are safe and sound.
In most places of the world the consequences will be severe...
I hope that things that dividing us will never change our country to return back to what most of the world still is.

It wasn't that long ago when peaceful protest wasn't being allowed in this country. The lack of violent methods to suppress dissent doesn't mean they're not finding other methods of crushing protests.

Remember that AA's have been pushing this country to actually LIVE UP to its highest ideals. AA's have been pushing to try and make the Country live up to its Constitution. The History of protest has helped to remove Hypocrisy.

Many people from all ways of live build this country as it is together.
The mutual respect is a result of it for absolute majority.
This what makes us strong.
Many things are far away from perfect.
So we all have a lot of work to do... but together we will make it even better place.

He can teach them to meditate... but no one can control even his own mind...
nixluva
Posts: 55454
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2017  10:08 PM
arkrud wrote:
nixluva wrote:
arkrud wrote:Its a great country we leave in that allows this kind of protest to take place and people who are protesting are safe and sound.
In most places of the world the consequences will be severe...
I hope that things that dividing us will never change our country to return back to what most of the world still is.

It wasn't that long ago when peaceful protest wasn't being allowed in this country. The lack of violent methods to suppress dissent doesn't mean they're not finding other methods of crushing protests.

Remember that AA's have been pushing this country to actually LIVE UP to its highest ideals. AA's have been pushing to try and make the Country live up to its Constitution. The History of protest has helped to remove Hypocrisy.

Many people from all ways of live build this country as it is together.
The mutual respect is a result of it for absolute majority.
This what makes us strong.
Many things are far away from perfect.
So we all have a lot of work to do... but together we will make it even better place.

The problem is that not enough people feel "we all have a lot of work to do"!!! A very significant amount of people are just fine with how things are and have been in the past. We didn't get here by accident.

Change could be much faster and the only reason it's never been fast is the resistance from those who don't want things to change. As I've pointed out the Federal Government had to use the military in order to enact change for the better. We had to fight a Civil War due to resistance to change.

Why do you think Policing is STILL having problems in how they deal with minorities? SOME people don't think anything needs to be changed!!! What other reason could there be after all this time?

OT: Why They Take A Knee

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.