[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What are the chances, and when was the last time, that...
Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

10/5/2017  12:22 PM
there used to be a saying that a good coach either develops players or wins; a great coach does both

Fitch was good at developing players; KC Jones was good at winning games (with players Fitch developed)

Some coaches can do both: e.g., Popovitch, Phil

Will be interesting to watch Jeff. I like him. Will be interested to see how good he is and if he grows in both respects

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
10/5/2017  6:16 PM
Chandler wrote:there used to be a saying that a good coach either develops players or wins; a great coach does both

Fitch was good at developing players; KC Jones was good at winning games (with players Fitch developed)

Will be interesting to watch Jeff. I like him. Will be interested to see how good he is and if he grows in both respects

Popovich and Phil also had all-time-great talent on their teams. This team does not, perhaps beyond KP, on whom the jury is out if he will be all-time-great and durable. You can't crap on the coach if you don't win with a bunch of young guys. This team will need time to get it together. Like a couple of years.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/5/2017  7:25 PM
Panos wrote:
Chandler wrote:there used to be a saying that a good coach either develops players or wins; a great coach does both

Popovich and Phil also had all-time-great talent on their teams. This team does not, perhaps beyond KP, on whom the jury is out if he will be all-time-great and durable. You can't crap on the coach if you don't win with a bunch of young guys. This team will need time to get it together. Like a couple of years.

If they show promise, THJ and KP should be all stars this yr, or at least borderline..

progression = minor changes = stability

Failure = major changes = instability

You get a case like UTAH got with HAYWOOD, developed him, they got a little better, and he bounced

ES
ekstarks94
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6104

10/5/2017  10:52 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Panos wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Panos wrote:coach sticks around to the end of his contract? I am pulling for him.
This team needs some stability, and it would be a good sign that things have changed.

Fisher
Woodson
MDA
IT
Larry Brown
Wilkens
Don Chaney

I think you have to go back to Van Gundy.
Jeez, 16 years and 7 coaches fired (not counting Rambis and Herb (interim coaches)).
Probably 3 of them HOFers (Brown, Wilkens, and MDA).

Go Jeff!

Tenure comes with winning. Unfortunately, I don't see this team winning any time soon. First guy to go will be the coach.

Winning also comes with good players that get paid what their worth (or less), and a good environment where players (and management) are accountable.
Did the winning come after any of those 7 coaches get fired? No. Because neither of the above two things held true.
Now this group in particular is not winning anything anytime soon. It is rebuilding. If they're not winning, it is not Jeff's fault.

True on all accounts, however, despite the losses we need to see court-improvement particulary on the defensive end. Also, he is still not Perry's guy. Perry may have someone mind...time will tell.

that might be your first "culture" test. Jeff has a good skill set for this job. If there is a change there needs to be a lot more of a reason than not being Perry's guy.

It almost always about having your own guy....because if Jeff bombs this year that can technically be on Phil jacket...if you bring him back...he is effectively under Perry....so does Perry hitch his wagon to someone that is not winning that he did not hire....if his job is on the line it will be with his guy...

Heck look at Masai....the coach has been winning....but even with wins Masai is itching at the first sign to push him out

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/5/2017  11:08 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Panos wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Panos wrote:coach sticks around to the end of his contract? I am pulling for him.
This team needs some stability, and it would be a good sign that things have changed.

Fisher
Woodson
MDA
IT
Larry Brown
Wilkens
Don Chaney

I think you have to go back to Van Gundy.
Jeez, 16 years and 7 coaches fired (not counting Rambis and Herb (interim coaches)).
Probably 3 of them HOFers (Brown, Wilkens, and MDA).

Go Jeff!

Tenure comes with winning. Unfortunately, I don't see this team winning any time soon. First guy to go will be the coach.

Winning also comes with good players that get paid what their worth (or less), and a good environment where players (and management) are accountable.
Did the winning come after any of those 7 coaches get fired? No. Because neither of the above two things held true.
Now this group in particular is not winning anything anytime soon. It is rebuilding. If they're not winning, it is not Jeff's fault.

True on all accounts, however, despite the losses we need to see court-improvement particulary on the defensive end. Also, he is still not Perry's guy. Perry may have someone mind...time will tell.

that might be your first "culture" test. Jeff has a good skill set for this job. If there is a change there needs to be a lot more of a reason than not being Perry's guy.

It almost always about having your own guy....because if Jeff bombs this year that can technically be on Phil jacket...if you bring him back...he is effectively under Perry....so does Perry hitch his wagon to someone that is not winning that he did not hire....if his job is on the line it will be with his guy...

Heck look at Masai....the coach has been winning....but even with wins Masai is itching at the first sign to push him out

Perry will hang on to Jeff for the rebuild. Wont be until he expects playoffs or a contender. And Jeff would have to not live up to those expectations before he would look to move on.

But smart move would be to hang on to Jeff for the rebuild.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/9/2017  10:22 AM
Perry and Mills cry for effort and DDDDDD-fense.
Then they sign defensive liabilities that make Melo look like the Glove. (thank you, NY Post)

We got effort. You got Dotson and Nitti (I still got high, Nalod) running around like crazed honey badgers. Please, don't get hurt. Ooops, too late! Hopefully, Jeffy gets to stay on if he gets the team to provide one of the two.

You got nixluva showing us vids of all those long arms running rampant, with Kanter not even faking like he's looking at the ball and leaving his man so painfully wide open on the perimeter (I know, I know, Unicorn tellin us Honry's switching is all way too complicatedO) that it allows the speedy yoots to get easy steals. Maybe Kanter's being told to leave his man open for the express purpose of drawing the long pass? Who knows? Not me.

I just love reading Lin quotes.

It's just got to get better.

What are the chances, and when was the last time, that...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy