[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Day after yesterday: What are your thoughts after our first pre-season game?
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/5/2017  9:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2017  9:07 AM
Paris907 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Horny doesn't like to run plays his first game in pre season. He did the same **** last year. That's why guys looked lax at times. Brooklyn was in mid season form. This guy Acy was talking smack to the crowd lol. Like calm down duke.

What you guys see from Willy? I thought he was rather lack luster. He seems more professional about his business but outside of that he was a bench guy to me. Still a good player but I'm not comfortable that we can win with him playing heavy minutes. Kanter to me is the better player. Just from the eye test and their action on the court. Willy is just there. Kanter is making things happen

So you’re ready to write off Wily after 1 exhibit game. Year 1,
As a rookie, wily played 18 MPG. His 36 minute #s would have been 16 points and 13.6 boards. You’re real issue isn’t boards though it obviously matters. The issue is who cannand will play D? After years in the league, Kantor was 63 of 66 defensively. That reeks of matador D and it will ultimately define his role and his limitations. We all see he can fill it up. Fine. But before you make Kanter the second coming of Shaq, give it a little time.

You are romanticizing the while thing.

Willy lacks aggression. That's to put it simply. His skills are there. He makes my nature rise whenever he makes moves inside #pause. He lacks the traits of a guy you can count on to make something happen. Not a knock to the guy. I love his game but I'm not going to overstate.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
10/5/2017  12:28 PM
Papabear wrote:Papabear Says

I see some of the old bad habits with this unit. They are slow a split second too late. They can't as a team shoot. the way I see it is no number 1 draft pick can't save this team. It will take years. I'm a lot older than some of you guys and I am tired of waiting for us to go to the finals. I watched some of the other games last night and those players are dead eye shooters and that's what we don't have. Now I'm a knicks die hard, but I don't want to die waiting for the knicks to get a ring. HOW FREAKING LONG WILL IT TAKE?? I'VE REACHED MY 70s AND STILL WAITING. DAMN I'M GETTING SICK OF THIS EVERY YEAR JUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR.

Papabear, did you say 70? Now that's a true knick fan. You've been through the best and worst times of our history. My history only goes back to drafting Patrick Ewing and watching the knicks of the 90's during the Jordan era. I was too young to sit down and watch any games before that. I was 1 just learning how to walk, when we won our last championship.

So congrats to you for enjoying our glory days.

Yes, I see similar habits.....But I'm always comparing this team to the 90s and that's probably not fair. Different culture....different NBA generation and style of play. But how come our team defensive IQ is always low? How come we are always a step slow when they swing the ball? How come each player doesn't play ball denial? Teams aren't doing anything special, other than swinging the ball. So you know where the ball is going.....

But outside of the championship team....and 90's knicks......This team building process looks very promising. In 3 yrs, these guys will all know each others game, and should look better as a team on both ends. We have lots of high IQ players.....a good mix of youth and vets. Lots of redundant positions, which helps during injuries.

Like every year, I will always be excited.....full of optimism. Until our first blowout.....lol

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
10/5/2017  12:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2017  12:45 PM
Chandler wrote:Defense is the big question mark -- again

I'm hopeful though because I see teams like GS where they find a way to defend even though they probably only have one defense-first player on their starting 5

I'd feel more hopeful if we had someone like the next tom t as an assistant coach focused on D

I'm convince....The lack of defense you are seeing is a generational problem. I'm mid 40's and still play high competitive ball. I play with guys that are 6ft tall, but 6inches over the rim. Big guys that plays like guards. Everybody is fast, athletic (on offense), euro step their way to the rim. It's hard to play defense now a days, since it's legal to carry the ball on cross overs. it's legal to stop your dribble, take two extra steps back, and call it a step back jumper. It's hard to play defense when you are allowed to take 3 slow steps and call it a euro move. So yes, our defense suck, but so does the entire league.

Again, I'm mid 40, and still can't be guarded 1 on 1 by the average player. So imagine if I was a 6'8 NBA player with similar skills. The goal is not to stop someone from scoring anymore, it's to slow them down and outscore them with more possessions. I think Lee and Frank are two guys that will create steals and jump passing lanes. Hopefully it's contagious.

Unfortunately, the teams that are winning, still have enough defense to win it all, but can also win it with offense. Majority of the other teams are trying to out score you, instead of stop you (Jeff VanGundy Style).

GS plan is to out score you....their defense is their offense. We don't have GS level offense.....So that's added pressure on the defense. GS is not a good defensive team. But they have a few good defensive players in two key positions, in their starting lineup. D.Green as an undersized center, is very important to this team. I'm 6 foot, and if we play a team where I can slide over to the PF spot, we destroy any team we play. Because as a PF, I will always have a mismatch. And on defense, teams waste time trying to go at me, and either fails or gets them out of their offensive rhythm.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
10/5/2017  12:58 PM
EnySpree wrote:
Paris907 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Horny doesn't like to run plays his first game in pre season. He did the same **** last year. That's why guys looked lax at times. Brooklyn was in mid season form. This guy Acy was talking smack to the crowd lol. Like calm down duke.

What you guys see from Willy? I thought he was rather lack luster. He seems more professional about his business but outside of that he was a bench guy to me. Still a good player but I'm not comfortable that we can win with him playing heavy minutes. Kanter to me is the better player. Just from the eye test and their action on the court. Willy is just there. Kanter is making things happen

As a rookie, wily played 18 MPG. His 36 minute #s would have been 16 points and 13.6 boards. You’re real issue isn’t boards though it obviously matters. The issue is who cannand will play D? After years in the league, Kantor was 63 of 66 defensively. That reeks of matador D and it will ultimately define his role and his limitations. We all see he can fill it up. Fine. But before you make Kanter the second coming of Shaq, give it a little time.

Willy lacks aggression. That's to put it simply. His skills are there. He makes my nature rise whenever he makes moves inside #pause. He lacks the traits of a guy you can count on to make something happen. Not a knock to the guy. I love his game but I'm not going to overstate.

When he makes your nature rise, is this something you’ve considered seeing a physician about ?
How does a guy in the NBA average 13.6 rebounds over 36 minutes and lack aggression?

blkexec
10/5/2017  1:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2017  1:04 PM
Paris907 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Paris907 wrote:

When he makes your nature rise, is this something you’ve considered seeing a physician about ?
How does a guy in the NBA average 13.6 rebounds over 36 minutes and lack aggression?

Willy is a humble guy or he plays like one. He doesn't jump for rebounds, similar to Zach Randolph. They both understand how to position the body, and box out their man. But Willy comes across of less aggressive than others. But I think that will change over time. The NBA will turn the nicest guy into a villain over time.

You don't have to have aggression to impact the game. Especially when you are fundamentally sound, and your only basketball experience is overseas, where the smack talking and aggression is less than here in the US. Also English is his second language. So I'm sure he's a different players when hes in his hometown on his hometeam.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
10/5/2017  1:02 PM
blkexec wrote:

I see some of the old bad habits with this unit. They are slow a split second too late. They can't as a team shoot. the way I see it is no number 1 draft pick can't save this team. It will take years. I'm a lot older than some of you guys and I am tired of waiting for us to go to the finals. I watched some of the other games last night and those players are dead eye shooters and that's what we don't have. Now I'm a knicks die hard, but I don't want to die waiting for the knicks to get a ring. HOW FREAKING LONG WILL IT TAKE?? I'VE REACHED MY 70s AND STILL WAITING. DAMN I'M GETTING SICK OF THIS EVERY YEAR JUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR.

Papabear, did you say 70? Now that's a true knick fan. You've been through the best and worst times of our history. My history only goes back to drafting Patrick Ewing and watching the knicks of the 90's during the Jordan era. I was too young to sit down and watch any games before that. I was 1 just learning how to walk, when we won our last championship.

Yes, I see similar habits.....But I'm always comparing this team to the 90s and that's probably not fair. Different culture....different NBA generation and style of play. But how come our team defensive IQ is always low? How come we are always a step slow when they swing the ball? How come each player doesn't play ball denial? Teams aren't doing anything special, other than swinging the ball. So you know where the ball is going.....

But outside of the championship team....and 90's knicks......This team building process looks very promising. In 3 yrs, these guys will all know each others game, and should look better as a team on both ends. We have lots of high IQ players.....a good mix of youth and vets. Lots of redundant positions, which helps during injuries.

Like every year, I will always be excited.....full of optimism. Until our first blowout.....lol

Congrats Papabear. I’m a 50 year Knick fan this year. Saw both championship runs and at the Garden.
Seem a lot come and go and the Bellamy HOWIE Komive ever deal for DeBushere was still our best transaction bar none!

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/5/2017  1:04 PM
Paris907 wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Congrats Papabear. I’m a 50 year Knick fan this year. Saw both championship runs and at the Garden.
Seem a lot come and go and the Bellamy HOWIE Komive ever deal for DeBushere was still our best transaction bar none!

wow that's awesome

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Day after yesterday: What are your thoughts after our first pre-season game?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy