[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Day after yesterday: What are your thoughts after our first pre-season game?
Author Thread
nixluva
Posts: 54629
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/4/2017  3:21 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:my thoughts are (1) I'm excited for the future and (2) I'm excited that this team looks poised to draft Doncic

Too early. I wouldn't be thinking about Doncic at this point. There will be plenty of time for that stuff later.

The Knicks didn't run much of anything last night. The offense looked pretty vanilla. The rotation likely had a lot to do with the poor D. I'm curious to see how Baker looks cuz his defense could help. Nitty, Baker, THJ and Dotson look like they can be solid enough on D to help. That's what I'm looking forward to seeing down the line.

AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Posts: 36058
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
10/4/2017  4:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/4/2017  4:10 PM
nixluva wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:my thoughts are (1) I'm excited for the future and (2) I'm excited that this team looks poised to draft Doncic

Too early. I wouldn't be thinking about Doncic at this point. There will be plenty of time for that stuff later.

The Knicks didn't run much of anything last night. The offense looked pretty vanilla. The rotation likely had a lot to do with the poor D. I'm curious to see how Baker looks cuz his defense could help. Nitty, Baker, THJ and Dotson look like they can be solid enough on D to help. That's what I'm looking forward to seeing down the line.

Your tripping, we have so many poor defenders at every position, and the coaching staff is not known for their defense, so you and I both know defense is going to be an absolute major problem this season.

you keep mentioning BAKER like he's a young Artest or something. The only thing he does well is get over screens with a little more zest.

ES
chuck3
Posts: 20003
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 9/24/2017
Member: #7563

10/4/2017  4:15 PM
A lot of things to like last night, but the defense was the same old same old. Too slow to get to the opponent's 3-point shooters.

We're going to score - I think Hornacek will base the rotation on who's playing D the best.

martin
Posts: 46141
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
10/4/2017  4:28 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:my thoughts are (1) I'm excited for the future and (2) I'm excited that this team looks poised to draft Doncic

+1000000000000000000000000000

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Paris907
Posts: 20705
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/4/2015
Member: #6099
USA
10/4/2017  4:37 PM
EnySpree wrote:Horny doesn't like to run plays his first game in pre season. He did the same **** last year. That's why guys looked lax at times. Brooklyn was in mid season form. This guy Acy was talking smack to the crowd lol. Like calm down duke.

What you guys see from Willy? I thought he was rather lack luster. He seems more professional about his business but outside of that he was a bench guy to me. Still a good player but I'm not comfortable that we can win with him playing heavy minutes. Kanter to me is the better player. Just from the eye test and their action on the court. Willy is just there. Kanter is making things happen

Kantor can score, sure enough but 3 boards to 10 for Wily ..Wily has played 1 year in the NBA. Don’t write him off as I think he may end up a poor mans Mark Gasol and average 16-13. You probably hated when we purged Robin Lopez. Wily will be better than Robin.

knicks1248
Posts: 36058
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
10/4/2017  4:42 PM
chuck3 wrote:A lot of things to like last night, but the defense was the same old same old. Too slow to get to the opponent's 3-point shooters.

We're going to score - I think Hornacek will base the rotation on who's playing D the best.

it's simple, they chase the ball, and don't communicate, at one point last night they triple teamed booker, even walt was like "why are they tripling teaming booker of all people', he kicks the ball out, they swing it around, and our players are running around dizzy..lol

ES
newyorker4ever
Posts: 26129
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/19/2014
Member: #5816

10/4/2017  4:44 PM
fishmike wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Horny doesn't like to run plays his first game in pre season. He did the same **** last year. That's why guys looked lax at times. Brooklyn was in mid season form. This guy Acy was talking smack to the crowd lol. Like calm down duke.

What you guys see from Willy? I thought he was rather lack luster. He seems more professional about his business but outside of that he was a bench guy to me. Still a good player but I'm not comfortable that we can win with him playing heavy minutes. Kanter to me is the better player. Just from the eye test and their action on the court. Willy is just there. Kanter is making things happen

Willy wasnt good last night, but I rank him higher than Kanter. Both are good. I Kanter is a bull dozer and scorer. Willy will move the ball more and be more involved in the offense. Willy sets bruising picks and is a vacuum on the boards. Kanter has a ton more experience than Willy and has 3-4 years at least also. I dont see any skill Kanter has that Willy cant or wont develop. Also once he goes into his moves you KNOW that shot is going up. Willy will at least hit an open guard. Time will tell and having both isnt a bad thing.

Kanter is so much better then Billy is right now. He's pretty much un-guardable from 15 feet in and has more moves then Billy has right now. Billy will obviously get better the more he plays cause he's so young to the league but i don't think he'll ever be able to score big points consistently like Kanter can and all the ways Kanter can and both can rebound. I saw Kanter boxing out a couple of times around the rim last night so a teammate could get the rebound and i love a big man that will box out. They both need to work on their defense obviously.

newyorker4ever
Posts: 26129
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/19/2014
Member: #5816

10/4/2017  4:46 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:my thoughts are (1) I'm excited for the future and (2) I'm excited that this team looks poised to draft Doncic

Rather they draft M.Porter who plays a position of need for us and will be the better NBA player IMO.

nixluva
Posts: 54629
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/4/2017  6:06 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:my thoughts are (1) I'm excited for the future and (2) I'm excited that this team looks poised to draft Doncic

Too early. I wouldn't be thinking about Doncic at this point. There will be plenty of time for that stuff later.

The Knicks didn't run much of anything last night. The offense looked pretty vanilla. The rotation likely had a lot to do with the poor D. I'm curious to see how Baker looks cuz his defense could help. Nitty, Baker, THJ and Dotson look like they can be solid enough on D to help. That's what I'm looking forward to seeing down the line.

Your tripping, we have so many poor defenders at every position, and the coaching staff is not known for their defense, so you and I both know defense is going to be an absolute major problem this season.

you keep mentioning BAKER like he's a young Artest or something. The only thing he does well is get over screens with a little more zest.

Actually Baker is a very good TEAM defender and your selling him short by saying all he does is gets over screens with a little more zest. WTF?

What I will say is that it's conceivable that Jeff can put enough decent defenders on the floor that with time to develop Defensive Chemistry they can defend better than we saw at points in the Nets game.

Of course this is not a team that has a ton of great defenders but the goal is to improve enough that they can be competitive. I think they can get there.

NYKBocker
Posts: 35229
Alba Posts: 472
Joined: 1/14/2003
Member: #377
USA
10/4/2017  6:19 PM
I think we are going to be the 4 or 5 seed come playoff time. 50 wins.
martin
Posts: 46141
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
10/4/2017  6:36 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:my thoughts are (1) I'm excited for the future and (2) I'm excited that this team looks poised to draft Doncic

Rather they draft M.Porter who plays a position of need for us and will be the better NBA player IMO.

what position of need does MPorter play?

I like Doncic with the Knicks cause I think he'd start at SF and be a ball handling, pass-first guy who could also get his own.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Posts: 55014
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
10/4/2017  7:45 PM
Paris907 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Horny doesn't like to run plays his first game in pre season. He did the same **** last year. That's why guys looked lax at times. Brooklyn was in mid season form. This guy Acy was talking smack to the crowd lol. Like calm down duke.

What you guys see from Willy? I thought he was rather lack luster. He seems more professional about his business but outside of that he was a bench guy to me. Still a good player but I'm not comfortable that we can win with him playing heavy minutes. Kanter to me is the better player. Just from the eye test and their action on the court. Willy is just there. Kanter is making things happen

Kantor can score, sure enough but 3 boards to 10 for Wily ..Wily has played 1 year in the NBA. Don’t write him off as I think he may end up a poor mans Mark Gasol and average 16-13. You probably hated when we purged Robin Lopez. Wily will be better than Robin.

Kanter took 10 free throws in 17 minutes. He also sets a good screen. Nice problem to have with both guys on the roster.
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
EnySpree
Posts: 43526
Alba Posts: 138
Joined: 4/18/2003
Member: #397

10/4/2017  7:55 PM
Paris907 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Horny doesn't like to run plays his first game in pre season. He did the same **** last year. That's why guys looked lax at times. Brooklyn was in mid season form. This guy Acy was talking smack to the crowd lol. Like calm down duke.

What you guys see from Willy? I thought he was rather lack luster. He seems more professional about his business but outside of that he was a bench guy to me. Still a good player but I'm not comfortable that we can win with him playing heavy minutes. Kanter to me is the better player. Just from the eye test and their action on the court. Willy is just there. Kanter is making things happen

Kantor can score, sure enough but 3 boards to 10 for Wily ..Wily has played 1 year in the NBA. Don’t write him off as I think he may end up a poor mans Mark Gasol and average 16-13. You probably hated when we purged Robin Lopez. Wily will be better than Robin.

Robin has an aggression you can't teach. Both Gasol brothers have it. KP has it. Kanter has it. Willy doesn't have it. Willy doesn't display characteristics that he can be a guy you rely on. He's still a nice player but you need your starters to set the table. Willy seems content with playing a role and fitting in

You know why I'm here....
nixluva
Posts: 54629
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/4/2017  8:43 PM
EnySpree wrote:
Paris907 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Horny doesn't like to run plays his first game in pre season. He did the same **** last year. That's why guys looked lax at times. Brooklyn was in mid season form. This guy Acy was talking smack to the crowd lol. Like calm down duke.

What you guys see from Willy? I thought he was rather lack luster. He seems more professional about his business but outside of that he was a bench guy to me. Still a good player but I'm not comfortable that we can win with him playing heavy minutes. Kanter to me is the better player. Just from the eye test and their action on the court. Willy is just there. Kanter is making things happen

Kantor can score, sure enough but 3 boards to 10 for Wily ..Wily has played 1 year in the NBA. Don’t write him off as I think he may end up a poor mans Mark Gasol and average 16-13. You probably hated when we purged Robin Lopez. Wily will be better than Robin.

Robin has an aggression you can't teach. Both Gasol brothers have it. KP has it. Kanter has it. Willy doesn't have it. Willy doesn't display characteristics that he can be a guy you rely on. He's still a nice player but you need your starters to set the table. Willy seems content with playing a role and fitting in

I'm not convinced Willy doesn't have enough aggressiveness on offense. Still need to see him over more playing time.

Papabear
Posts: 24163
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 3/31/2007
Member: #1414

10/5/2017  2:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2017  2:34 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:my thoughts are (1) I'm excited for the future and (2) I'm excited that this team looks poised to draft Doncic

Papabear Says

Next year next year next year!! I've been waiting for next year for 45 years. Doncic probably wont be hear and what do you say? Next year again. Lets just look at this year and see what happens. I don't believe in tanking. Just play the damn game.

Papabear
smackeddog
Posts: 32433
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
10/5/2017  3:38 AM
Papabear wrote:Papabear Says

I see some of the old bad habits with this unit. They are slow a split second too late. They can't as a team shoot. the way I see it is no number 1 draft pick can't save this team. It will take years. I'm a lot older than some of you guys and I am tired of waiting for us to go to the finals. I watched some of the other games last night and those players are dead eye shooters and that's what we don't have. Now I'm a knicks die hard, but I don't want to die waiting for the knicks to get a ring. HOW FREAKING LONG WILL IT TAKE?? I'VE REACHED MY 70s AND STILL WAITING. DAMN I'M GETTING SICK OF THIS EVERY YEAR JUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR.

Honestly I think you're going to have to wait until the year after next year at the earliest. We need at least one more high pick plus another 2 or 3 seasons for Frank to develop

Paris907
Posts: 20705
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/4/2015
Member: #6099
USA
10/5/2017  7:36 AM
EnySpree wrote:Horny doesn't like to run plays his first game in pre season. He did the same **** last year. That's why guys looked lax at times. Brooklyn was in mid season form. This guy Acy was talking smack to the crowd lol. Like calm down duke.

What you guys see from Willy? I thought he was rather lack luster. He seems more professional about his business but outside of that he was a bench guy to me. Still a good player but I'm not comfortable that we can win with him playing heavy minutes. Kanter to me is the better player. Just from the eye test and their action on the court. Willy is just there. Kanter is making things happen

So you’re ready to write off Wily after 1 exhibit game. Year 1,
As a rookie, wily played 18 MPG. His 36 minute #s would have been 16 points and 13.6 boards. You’re real issue isn’t boards though it obviously matters. The issue is who cannand will play D? After years in the league, Kantor was 63 of 66 defensively. That reeks of matador D and it will ultimately define his role and his limitations. We all see he can fill it up. Fine. But before you make Kanter the second coming of Shaq, give it a little time.

Chandler
Posts: 22133
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/26/2015
Member: #6197

10/5/2017  7:46 AM
Defense is the big question mark -- again

I'm hopeful though because I see teams like GS where they find a way to defend even though they probably only have one defense-first player on their starting 5

I'd feel more hopeful if we had someone like the next tom t as an assistant coach focused on D

DJMUSIC: Fisher talked a good game in Post game but aside from that Derek Fisher was ALL CHIT CHAT SH_t and produced nothing!
HofstraBBall
Posts: 22191
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/21/2015
Member: #6192

10/5/2017  8:35 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2017  8:39 AM
Chandler wrote:Defense is the big question mark -- again

I'm hopeful though because I see teams like GS where they find a way to defend even though they probably only have one defense-first player on their starting 5

I'd feel more hopeful if we had someone like the next tom t as an assistant coach focused on D

True but GS also tire guys out chasing all their gifted offensive players.

Melo Haters = Lin lovers who are mad Houston paid so much for his 15 Minutes,
fishmike
Posts: 47407
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
10/5/2017  8:50 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
fishmike wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Horny doesn't like to run plays his first game in pre season. He did the same **** last year. That's why guys looked lax at times. Brooklyn was in mid season form. This guy Acy was talking smack to the crowd lol. Like calm down duke.

What you guys see from Willy? I thought he was rather lack luster. He seems more professional about his business but outside of that he was a bench guy to me. Still a good player but I'm not comfortable that we can win with him playing heavy minutes. Kanter to me is the better player. Just from the eye test and their action on the court. Willy is just there. Kanter is making things happen

Willy wasnt good last night, but I rank him higher than Kanter. Both are good. I Kanter is a bull dozer and scorer. Willy will move the ball more and be more involved in the offense. Willy sets bruising picks and is a vacuum on the boards. Kanter has a ton more experience than Willy and has 3-4 years at least also. I dont see any skill Kanter has that Willy cant or wont develop. Also once he goes into his moves you KNOW that shot is going up. Willy will at least hit an open guard. Time will tell and having both isnt a bad thing.

Kanter is so much better then Billy is right now. He's pretty much un-guardable from 15 feet in and has more moves then Billy has right now. Billy will obviously get better the more he plays cause he's so young to the league but i don't think he'll ever be able to score big points consistently like Kanter can and all the ways Kanter can and both can rebound. I saw Kanter boxing out a couple of times around the rim last night so a teammate could get the rebound and i love a big man that will box out. They both need to work on their defense obviously.

your a 100% right... so I think it makes sense to clarify my statement. When I say I rank Willy ahead its not in current skill level or production. Its where I see him as far as the future of the team. Its very possible Kanter is what he is. He's been in the league for 6 years. We know he's one of the best scorers in the post, a very good rebounder and has some struggles defensively. I think Willy has a higher upside. For one Willy has an outside shot. For another he's a better passer, but bottom line is he's younger and has much less NBA time than Willy.

I agree with everything you wrote

fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
Day after yesterday: What are your thoughts after our first pre-season game?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.