[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Preseason Gamethread: Brooklyn starts it off
Author Thread
martin
Posts: 46163
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
10/4/2017  12:17 AM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Posts: 36080
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
10/4/2017  8:27 AM
not much, but looks good
ES
martin
Posts: 46163
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
10/4/2017  10:02 AM
knicks1248 wrote:not much, but looks good

ha yeah, kind of a lame video

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Posts: 24900
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

10/4/2017  10:13 AM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:not much, but looks good

ha yeah, kind of a lame video

Half of it is a commercial for coach Godwin lol He definitely had more defensive highlights yesterday. Wish they included more of those.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
fishmike
Posts: 47417
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
10/4/2017  10:45 AM
Most of what I saw was very promising.

Lots of good, some less than good.

It was nice to see Frank against (almost) NBA competition. I expect him to start next game. He missed most of his shots but they all looked good. Good shot selection, didnt force anything. What was really good was his handle. Some wrote about his high handle being a problem. He handled and passed last night like a veteran. He looked really good taking care of the ball and finding guys. He would have had an easy 6-7 assists if our bigs finished better at the rim. I also watched Frank on D and away from the ball a lot. He's got a great motor, doesnt shy from contact and my god is he long. Seeing how he looked physically on the court told me we picked the right guy. I would guess 6'5 with a 7'0 is spot on.

I think Lee looked really good. Timmy took about 3 bad (rushed) shots and had a defensive lapse. However the rest was very good on both ends. I think starting Lee/Frank/Timmy is the way to go. 3 long active guys who can shoot and move the ball.

The bigs were a mixed bag. KP's offense in the low post look robotic. I like him in motion much more. He looked active on defense. I would like to see a few more set 3s. He's such a good shooter. Thats easy offense for him.

Willy didnt look good. Ill leave it at that. Not terrible, just lack luster.

KOQ is becoming a very consistent and solid role player. His value is interesting. Hate to lose him. Hate to lose him even more for nothing.

Kanter is a bulldozer and I like him to remain in his OKC role. Scorer off the bench. He's so perfect for that role. He either comes in against opposing bench players or starters who have been in for a bit. He reminds me of a young more athletic Al Jefferson in the post. We will see about the defense but the rebounding is good and thats part of the picture.

Not much of a showing for anyone else competing for a start at the 3. Lance was a dud. McBuckets showed a few flashes. Beas filled out the stat sheet but looked like a total spazz to me. He's got literally every basketball skill. He can shoot, defend, board, pass, handle... he just seems to have no clue when to do what. Beas.. you gonna hold that all day or can I hit that?

All in all I was very happy because Frank looked good, showed a great handle and was our best PG. Sessions looked like a veteran hanging on. Jack looked like a veteran who should be playing with Penny and Jason Williams in Florida. IF that is what Jack has in the tank bring back Randle. At least he will give you some legs in practice.

fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
knicks1248
Posts: 36080
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
10/4/2017  11:12 AM
fishmike wrote:Most of what I saw was very promising.

Lots of good, some less than good.

It was nice to see Frank against (almost) NBA competition. I expect him to start next game. He missed most of his shots but they all looked good. Good shot selection, didnt force anything. What was really good was his handle. Some wrote about his high handle being a problem. He handled and passed last night like a veteran. He looked really good taking care of the ball and finding guys. He would have had an easy 6-7 assists if our bigs finished better at the rim. I also watched Frank on D and away from the ball a lot. He's got a great motor, doesnt shy from contact and my god is he long. Seeing how he looked physically on the court told me we picked the right guy. I would guess 6'5 with a 7'0 is spot on.

I think Lee looked really good. Timmy took about 3 bad (rushed) shots and had a defensive lapse. However the rest was very good on both ends. I think starting Lee/Frank/Timmy is the way to go. 3 long active guys who can shoot and move the ball.

The bigs were a mixed bag. KP's offense in the low post look robotic. I like him in motion much more. He looked active on defense. I would like to see a few more set 3s. He's such a good shooter. Thats easy offense for him.

Willy didnt look good. Ill leave it at that. Not terrible, just lack luster.

KOQ is becoming a very consistent and solid role player. His value is interesting. Hate to lose him. Hate to lose him even more for nothing.

Kanter is a bulldozer and I like him to remain in his OKC role. Scorer off the bench. He's so perfect for that role. He either comes in against opposing bench players or starters who have been in for a bit. He reminds me of a young more athletic Al Jefferson in the post. We will see about the defense but the rebounding is good and thats part of the picture.

Not much of a showing for anyone else competing for a start at the 3. Lance was a dud. McBuckets showed a few flashes. Beas filled out the stat sheet but looked like a total spazz to me. He's got literally every basketball skill. He can shoot, defend, board, pass, handle... he just seems to have no clue when to do what. Beas.. you gonna hold that all day or can I hit that?

All in all I was very happy because Frank looked good, showed a great handle and was our best PG. Sessions looked like a veteran hanging on. Jack looked like a veteran who should be playing with Penny and Jason Williams in Florida. IF that is what Jack has in the tank bring back Randle. At least he will give you some legs in practice.

I agree with most of this except, I would love to trade koQ, for rondo

kp is such a sapp on the boards, I prefer kanter to start with him

I think willy will eventually be traded, him and kanter have similar games, and it makes zero sense to keep both..willy is the better passer though

ES
HofstraBBall
Posts: 22201
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/21/2015
Member: #6192

10/4/2017  11:39 AM
Takeaways: First pre season game so NO One should have their panties in a bunch.

Frank looked like a solid all around athletic player. Liked his composure. Still a long way to go before he proves he deserved to be a low lotto pick or is a difference maker.

KP looked more aggressive but still rarely looks for his team mates.

Timmy looked like the same Timmy before Phil decided he needed to go. (A very good shooter that can get really hot but likes to hover the 3pt line a bit too much). Didn't like seeing the heat check shots after a couple of makes but did notice his effort to set guys up.

Liked Buckets. Think he will be a good guy to stretch the floor off the bench.

Kanter seemed nervous. Think he has a lot of offense in him.

Willy seemed as though he does not like the competition. Maybe thought he already earned the starting job.

Lee should be in the starting lime up. By far the best 2.

Always wondered why Beasley never made it. Saw signs of why last night.

Overall think we are deeper than I thought. We added some good role players. However, our defense did not seem to improve. That will be the key as I dont think we have a guy that can take over a game on offense. Defense will be even more importamt than last year.

But by far my biggest takeaway was.....

WTF!!!!

Melo Haters = Lin lovers who are mad Houston paid so much for his 15 Minutes,
newyorknewyork
Posts: 26906
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
10/4/2017  12:35 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Takeaways: First pre season game so NO One should have their panties in a bunch.

Frank looked like a solid all around athletic player. Liked his composure. Still a long way to go before he proves he deserved to be a low lotto pick or is a difference maker.

KP looked more aggressive but still rarely looks for his team mates.

Timmy looked like the same Timmy before Phil decided he needed to go. (A very good shooter that can get really hot but likes to hover the 3pt line a bit too much). Didn't like seeing the heat check shots after a couple of makes but did notice his effort to set guys up.

Liked Buckets. Think he will be a good guy to stretch the floor off the bench.

Kanter seemed nervous. Think he has a lot of offense in him.

Willy seemed as though he does not like the competition. Maybe thought he already earned the starting job.

Lee should be in the starting lime up. By far the best 2.

Always wondered why Beasley never made it. Saw signs of why last night.

Overall think we are deeper than I thought. We added some good role players. However, our defense did not seem to improve. That will be the key as I dont think we have a guy that can take over a game on offense. Defense will be even more importamt than last year.

But by far my biggest takeaway was.....

WTF!!!!

Frank def deserved to be a high lotto pick. He has to prove that he can reach his full potential true. But he has displayed potential to disrupt the PNR and passing lanes with his length and recovery ability, run the PG position creating for teammates regularly, shooting the ball. At 6'5, with a 7ft wing span. He would be a freshman in college right now.

He has the tools to be a really good all around player. The type of pass first defensive guard that players LOVE to play with. Which is worth a high lotto pick.

HofstraBBall
Posts: 22201
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/21/2015
Member: #6192

10/4/2017  1:14 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Takeaways: First pre season game so NO One should have their panties in a bunch.

Frank looked like a solid all around athletic player. Liked his composure. Still a long way to go before he proves he deserved to be a low lotto pick or is a difference maker.

KP looked more aggressive but still rarely looks for his team mates.

Timmy looked like the same Timmy before Phil decided he needed to go. (A very good shooter that can get really hot but likes to hover the 3pt line a bit too much). Didn't like seeing the heat check shots after a couple of makes but did notice his effort to set guys up.

Liked Buckets. Think he will be a good guy to stretch the floor off the bench.

Kanter seemed nervous. Think he has a lot of offense in him.

Willy seemed as though he does not like the competition. Maybe thought he already earned the starting job.

Lee should be in the starting lime up. By far the best 2.

Always wondered why Beasley never made it. Saw signs of why last night.

Overall think we are deeper than I thought. We added some good role players. However, our defense did not seem to improve. That will be the key as I dont think we have a guy that can take over a game on offense. Defense will be even more importamt than last year.

But by far my biggest takeaway was.....

WTF!!!!

Frank def deserved to be a high lotto pick. He has to prove that he can reach his full potential true. But he has displayed potential to disrupt the PNR and passing lanes with his length and recovery ability, run the PG position creating for teammates regularly, shooting the ball. At 6'5, with a 7ft wing span. He would be a freshman in college right now.

He has the tools to be a really good all around player. The type of pass first defensive guard that players LOVE to play with. Which is worth a high lotto pick.

Nope. Draft picks dont prove if they were worth a lotto pick until years into their careers. As every pick has :potential" and reasons why teams "thought" they were worth a pick. With that logic, "EVERY" pick ever made was "worth" the lotto pick.

Melo Haters = Lin lovers who are mad Houston paid so much for his 15 Minutes,
fishmike
Posts: 47417
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
10/4/2017  2:06 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Takeaways: First pre season game so NO One should have their panties in a bunch.

Frank looked like a solid all around athletic player. Liked his composure. Still a long way to go before he proves he deserved to be a low lotto pick or is a difference maker.

KP looked more aggressive but still rarely looks for his team mates.

Timmy looked like the same Timmy before Phil decided he needed to go. (A very good shooter that can get really hot but likes to hover the 3pt line a bit too much). Didn't like seeing the heat check shots after a couple of makes but did notice his effort to set guys up.

Liked Buckets. Think he will be a good guy to stretch the floor off the bench.

Kanter seemed nervous. Think he has a lot of offense in him.

Willy seemed as though he does not like the competition. Maybe thought he already earned the starting job.

Lee should be in the starting lime up. By far the best 2.

Always wondered why Beasley never made it. Saw signs of why last night.

Overall think we are deeper than I thought. We added some good role players. However, our defense did not seem to improve. That will be the key as I dont think we have a guy that can take over a game on offense. Defense will be even more importamt than last year.

But by far my biggest takeaway was.....

WTF!!!!

Frank def deserved to be a high lotto pick. He has to prove that he can reach his full potential true. But he has displayed potential to disrupt the PNR and passing lanes with his length and recovery ability, run the PG position creating for teammates regularly, shooting the ball. At 6'5, with a 7ft wing span. He would be a freshman in college right now.

He has the tools to be a really good all around player. The type of pass first defensive guard that players LOVE to play with. Which is worth a high lotto pick.

Nope. Draft picks dont prove if they were worth a lotto pick until years into their careers. As every pick has :potential" and reasons why teams "thought" they were worth a pick. With that logic, "EVERY" pick ever made was "worth" the lotto pick.

Except Dennis Smith. He is worth it.
fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
newyorknewyork
Posts: 26906
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
10/4/2017  2:11 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Takeaways: First pre season game so NO One should have their panties in a bunch.

Frank looked like a solid all around athletic player. Liked his composure. Still a long way to go before he proves he deserved to be a low lotto pick or is a difference maker.

KP looked more aggressive but still rarely looks for his team mates.

Timmy looked like the same Timmy before Phil decided he needed to go. (A very good shooter that can get really hot but likes to hover the 3pt line a bit too much). Didn't like seeing the heat check shots after a couple of makes but did notice his effort to set guys up.

Liked Buckets. Think he will be a good guy to stretch the floor off the bench.

Kanter seemed nervous. Think he has a lot of offense in him.

Willy seemed as though he does not like the competition. Maybe thought he already earned the starting job.

Lee should be in the starting lime up. By far the best 2.

Always wondered why Beasley never made it. Saw signs of why last night.

Overall think we are deeper than I thought. We added some good role players. However, our defense did not seem to improve. That will be the key as I dont think we have a guy that can take over a game on offense. Defense will be even more importamt than last year.

But by far my biggest takeaway was.....

WTF!!!!

Frank def deserved to be a high lotto pick. He has to prove that he can reach his full potential true. But he has displayed potential to disrupt the PNR and passing lanes with his length and recovery ability, run the PG position creating for teammates regularly, shooting the ball. At 6'5, with a 7ft wing span. He would be a freshman in college right now.

He has the tools to be a really good all around player. The type of pass first defensive guard that players LOVE to play with. Which is worth a high lotto pick.

Nope. Draft picks dont prove if they were worth a lotto pick until years into their careers. As every pick has :potential" and reasons why teams "thought" they were worth a pick. With that logic, "EVERY" pick ever made was "worth" the lotto pick.

I think we are just arguing semantics. Lotto picks are taken in the lotto due to their ability to contribute immediately and or their level of potential.

Frank is a unique PG who can playmaker, shoot, defend, with high IQ packaged in a 6'5 7ft wingspan frame.

The question was if he had enough athletic ability and speed to play in this league with these level athletes. Time will tell if its a issue. But signs are pointing to this not being a issue that negates his positive impact.

There has def been lesser talented players taken in the lottery.

newyorknewyork
Posts: 26906
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
10/4/2017  2:22 PM
Frank can end up sucking as a offensive guard but still be an all team defensive player.
He can end up sucking as a PG but still end up as one of the better shooters
He can end up sucking at shooting and defense but still be cappable of running an offense gdtting 8-10 ast.

We dont know what he will become. But lottery talent is absolutely there.

nixluva
Posts: 54707
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/4/2017  2:27 PM
We should be ecstatic that Nitty has shown the RARE playmaker mindset and defensive talent he clearly has. His All Around game could be just what the doctor ordered in terms of helping this team WIN. He's only 19 and you can see his BBIQ is HIGH.

The issue is that there was a question of whether Nitty was just a common role player talent or a kid with top 10 pick, difference maker talent. He's not the And1 handles, video game dunking PG that is usually what is expected from a top pick. In fact the other PG's in his class are capable of that kind of stuff, but he's got a more Complete game than the rest of his class. I can see why Phil drafted him based on the total package and upside.

fishmike
Posts: 47417
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
10/4/2017  2:29 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Frank can end up sucking as a offensive guard but still be an all team defensive player.
He can end up sucking as a PG but still end up as one of the better shooters
He can end up sucking at shooting and defense but still be cappable of running an offense gdtting 8-10 ast.

We dont know what he will become. But lottery talent is absolutely there.

Yea this... injuries can derail any player, but Frank has been healthy. At worst he looks like a bigger Eric Snow. Two things I think were questions were his handle and quickness. They are both there
fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
martin
Posts: 46163
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
10/4/2017  2:33 PM
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Frank can end up sucking as a offensive guard but still be an all team defensive player.
He can end up sucking as a PG but still end up as one of the better shooters
He can end up sucking at shooting and defense but still be cappable of running an offense gdtting 8-10 ast.

We dont know what he will become. But lottery talent is absolutely there.

Yea this... injuries can derail any player, but Frank has been healthy. At worst he looks like a bigger Eric Snow. Two things I think were questions were his handle and quickness. They are both there

i am wondering how he will look defensively again the quicker PGs like Wall, etc. No one can keep up but can he show some defensive chops against this type of player

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
Posts: 54707
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/4/2017  3:11 PM
martin wrote:
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Frank can end up sucking as a offensive guard but still be an all team defensive player.
He can end up sucking as a PG but still end up as one of the better shooters
He can end up sucking at shooting and defense but still be cappable of running an offense gdtting 8-10 ast.

We dont know what he will become. But lottery talent is absolutely there.

Yea this... injuries can derail any player, but Frank has been healthy. At worst he looks like a bigger Eric Snow. Two things I think were questions were his handle and quickness. They are both there

i am wondering how he will look defensively again the quicker PGs like Wall, etc. No one can keep up but can he show some defensive chops against this type of player

I suspect at first he'll get blown by as he's never faced that level of quickness. But I think he'll eventually adjust and learn how to defend that kind of speed. I noticed Nitty got caught a couple of times where he was too close and this is something he's going to have to learn about NBA level guards. IMO learning the proper distance to contain the top guards takes some time.

HofstraBBall
Posts: 22201
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/21/2015
Member: #6192

10/4/2017  4:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/4/2017  4:25 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Takeaways: First pre season game so NO One should have their panties in a bunch.

Frank looked like a solid all around athletic player. Liked his composure. Still a long way to go before he proves he deserved to be a low lotto pick or is a difference maker.

KP looked more aggressive but still rarely looks for his team mates.

Timmy looked like the same Timmy before Phil decided he needed to go. (A very good shooter that can get really hot but likes to hover the 3pt line a bit too much). Didn't like seeing the heat check shots after a couple of makes but did notice his effort to set guys up.

Liked Buckets. Think he will be a good guy to stretch the floor off the bench.

Kanter seemed nervous. Think he has a lot of offense in him.

Willy seemed as though he does not like the competition. Maybe thought he already earned the starting job.

Lee should be in the starting lime up. By far the best 2.

Always wondered why Beasley never made it. Saw signs of why last night.

Overall think we are deeper than I thought. We added some good role players. However, our defense did not seem to improve. That will be the key as I dont think we have a guy that can take over a game on offense. Defense will be even more importamt than last year.

But by far my biggest takeaway was.....

WTF!!!!

Frank def deserved to be a high lotto pick. He has to prove that he can reach his full potential true. But he has displayed potential to disrupt the PNR and passing lanes with his length and recovery ability, run the PG position creating for teammates regularly, shooting the ball. At 6'5, with a 7ft wing span. He would be a freshman in college right now.

He has the tools to be a really good all around player. The type of pass first defensive guard that players LOVE to play with. Which is worth a high lotto pick.

Nope. Draft picks dont prove if they were worth a lotto pick until years into their careers. As every pick has :potential" and reasons why teams "thought" they were worth a pick. With that logic, "EVERY" pick ever made was "worth" the lotto pick.

I think we are just arguing semantics. Lotto picks are taken in the lotto due to their ability to contribute immediately and or their level of potential.

Frank is a unique PG who can playmaker, shoot, defend, with high IQ packaged in a 6'5 7ft wingspan frame.

The question was if he had enough athletic ability and speed to play in this league with these level athletes. Time will tell if its a issue. But signs are pointing to this not being a issue that negates his positive impact.

There has def been lesser talented players taken in the lottery.

I like what I see in Frank. But, as you said,.time will tell. Think your missing my point. Every pick is an "educated" roll of the dice. Most have scouts tauting as to why they make sense. However, NO pick proves to be "worth" a draft pick until they become successful. A lotto pick only proves to be worth it if he becomes an integral part 9f a teams success. Are you saying Okafor was worth a lotto pick? Just because people, at the time, thought he was? If you do then you better ask someone in Philly.
They may disagree.

Btw. Pointing out reality does not mean it is a put down.

Melo Haters = Lin lovers who are mad Houston paid so much for his 15 Minutes,
meloshouldgo
Posts: 23548
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/3/2014
Member: #5801

10/4/2017  4:19 PM
nixluva wrote:We should be ecstatic that Nitty has shown the RARE playmaker mindset and defensive talent he clearly has. His All Around game could be just what the doctor ordered in terms of helping this team WIN. He's only 19 and you can see his BBIQ is HIGH.

The issue is that there was a question of whether Nitty was just a common role player talent or a kid with top 10 pick, difference maker talent. He's not the And1 handles, video game dunking PG that is usually what is expected from a top pick. In fact the other PG's in his class are capable of that kind of stuff, but he's got a more Complete game than the rest of his class. I can see why Phil drafted him based on the total package and upside.

Yup

The only things that trickle down are wages and horse shit
HofstraBBall
Posts: 22201
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/21/2015
Member: #6192

10/4/2017  4:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/4/2017  4:27 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Frank can end up sucking as a offensive guard but still be an all team defensive player.
He can end up sucking as a PG but still end up as one of the better shooters
He can end up sucking at shooting and defense but still be cappable of running an offense gdtting 8-10 ast.

We dont know what he will become. But lottery talent is absolutely there.

So because he can be the next Steph Curry or Fredrick Weiss he was a good pick?

My "getting their panties" in a bunch comment was for the over reacting negative people who base the kids future on one game. But its also for the ones calling him a success this early. Yes the kid looks composed and has physical gifts. But taunting him as a successful lottery pick is premature.

Let's give the kid a couple of years to pan out.

Melo Haters = Lin lovers who are mad Houston paid so much for his 15 Minutes,
Papabear
Posts: 24164
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 3/31/2007
Member: #1414

10/5/2017  12:54 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
nixluva wrote:We should be ecstatic that Nitty has shown the RARE playmaker mindset and defensive talent he clearly has. His All Around game could be just what the doctor ordered in terms of helping this team WIN. He's only 19 and you can see his BBIQ is HIGH.

The issue is that there was a question of whether Nitty was just a common role player talent or a kid with top 10 pick, difference maker talent. He's not the And1 handles, video game dunking PG that is usually what is expected from a top pick. In fact the other PG's in his class are capable of that kind of stuff, but he's got a more Complete game than the rest of his class. I can see why Phil drafted him based on the total package and upside.

Yup

Papabear Says

meloshouldgo!! time to change your name. Melo is gone

Papabear
Preseason Gamethread: Brooklyn starts it off

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.