Around the NBA 2017-18
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

12/29/2017  10:54 AM
smackeddog wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
smackeddog wrote:What happened to JR Smith? every time I look at a Cavs boxscore he only seems to have scored 3 points and shot 1/3

He's a 32 year old knucklehead who has relied heavily on his athleticism to take and make 3 point shots. It was only a matter of time before Father-time and the comforts of a multi-year contract caught up to him. Thank God we dumped him (and Shumpert) when we did. That truly was addition by subtraction.

Remember when people on these boards and Knick writers were in tears that we traded away JR and Shumpert and actually blasted Phil for committing such a crime!

I do and that was the first (and only) time that I found myself supporting a Phil Jackson trade. And yet, there are STILL those critical of the move. People must not have taken notice of how good LeBron is and the influence he has on trash. This is the guy, afterall, that had Mo Williams regarded as an all-star. Think about how crazy that is when you consider what Mo was before and after LeBron.

AUTOADVERT
NardDogNation

12/29/2017  10:59 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
smackeddog wrote:What happened to JR Smith? every time I look at a Cavs boxscore he only seems to have scored 3 points and shot 1/3

He's a 32 year old knucklehead who has relied heavily on his athleticism to take and make 3 point shots. It was only a matter of time before Father-time and the comforts of a multi-year contract caught up to him. Thank God we dumped him (and Shumpert) when we did. That truly was addition by subtraction.

Remember when people on these boards and Knick writers were in tears that we traded away JR and Shumpert and actually blasted Phil for committing such a crime!

I think it was because they got Lou and Lance back. The remains of the 54/37 win team was moved for small hands, Calderon, Early, the two guard that is getting run in Miami (Ellington?), Lou, and Lance. The Pablo trade was a positive.

The remains of that 54-37 team were mostly sub.500 with us during their Knick careers though. The Tyson Chandler trade remains a profoundly stupid one but I don't think anyone was emotionally attached to him or any of the guys around Melo. I even remember when the Shumpert/Smith trade was announced, I was at my gym and did a little celebration while on a threadmill.

NardDogNation

12/29/2017  11:00 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:"Carmelo Anthony is embracing his role playing off the ball.

He doesn't have a choice.

Westbrook is the ball dominant player on that team and the entire team structure is built around getting him volume counting stats. From the franchise side, OKC has become an archetype of a functionally marketable team that has no chance to contend. You can sell tickets, get a profit, get fan interest and sell merchandise, but it's going to be a top heavy salary in RW who can't actually carry you over the top to a title.

Melo bucks, WB will freeze him out. Melo goes after WB in the press, then he's stuck. WB is a Nike Signature athlete, based on the brand relationship with the networks, Melo would be roasted alive in the sports media.

He found a bigger ballhog and narcissist than himself. Karma at work.

OKC has gone 10-3 over their last 13 games, has won 5 straight and seem to be figuring things out. Melo is playing with more talent so his role definitely had to change. But I think he wanted a chance to win. A week ago all of the talk was about trading George. Winning seems to have taken care of that.
so your saying he's thriving in his role as 3rd option and spot up shooter? Wow... who woulda thunk it

No he is saying that Melo is a phenomenal defensive player. Top 20 most of year actually. Just check the numbers.

Think he is showing how fans will make stuff up to help their narrative. Truth always was that Melo was not a cancer, took us from laughing stock to playoff contenders right away, was always willing to be a team player, was thrown under the bus by phil and NEVER had any real talent around him as a Knick. Kinda different from what most spent hours trying to push around here. Now he is playing ream ball, sacrificing for the team and guys will resort to pushing the third option knock in his 15th! season as a pro. Who would have thunk it?? So let me guess, if they go far in the playoffs but lose to GS it's will be his fault?

Btw, how is Noah doing?

+1

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #303
12/29/2017  11:25 PM
Bamba slid his name into #1 type consideration tonight

Boy what a frikin mess we made by not scking really high end players at the top. Shouoldve let Carmelo walk and scked.

smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
12/30/2017  3:54 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Bamba slid his name into #1 type consideration tonight

Boy what a frikin mess we made by not scking really high end players at the top. Shouoldve let Carmelo walk and scked.

You're the one who wanted to win this season, in fact you proposed making trades to help us win now only a few weeks ago

BRIGGS
12/30/2017  4:40 AM
smackeddog wrote:

You're the one who wanted to win this season, in fact you proposed making trades to help us win now only a few weeks ago

I really thought we were doomed after losing all 6 pres season and 3 start of season. Which wouldve been fine by me but it went the other way--once it does and KP looks really good why not try to improve?

The reality is were not good enough to be great and not bad enough to get a top end pick.

I do think there might be a happy medium where we can draft efficient mature players who are ready to go physically and mentally.

I have no clue what we will look like for free agency.

Its hard to root for them to win now. Id still like to get Willy going.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/30/2017  12:59 PM
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
Cartman718
Member: #1694

12/30/2017  3:41 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Ouch
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

12/30/2017  8:43 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Think he is showing how fans will make stuff up to help their narrative. Truth always was that Melo was not a cancer, took us from laughing stock to playoff contenders right away, was always willing to be a team player, was thrown under the bus by phil and NEVER had any real talent around him as a Knick. Kinda different from what most spent hours trying to push around here. Now he is playing ream ball, sacrificing for the team and guys will resort to pushing the third option knock in his 15th! season as a pro. Who would have thunk it?? So let me guess, if they go far in the playoffs but lose to GS it's will be his fault?

"Making stuff up"

It's plain as day. The OKC offense runs through Russell Westbrook. He is the ball dominant player on the roster and on the floor. He decides who else is going to get the ball. Or not. Melo is not sacrificing if he's only taking the shots that are given to him as a spot up shooter.

A sacrifice would imply a choice is presented and options are there to do something else to one's own career detriment. There is no "something else" Earlier in the season, Melo tried his typical hero ball no defense shotjacker routine and Westbrook promptly started to freeze him out until things changed.

No one on OKC is playing team ball. The entire offense is built around getting Westbrook volume counting stats.

WTF is a "playoff contender" There are 30 teams in the NBA. 16 make the playoffs. So if Melo is on a Knicks team that is the 22nd best record in the league instead of the 25th, then he's some kind of savior?

"All Your Excuses Are Lies" - Jocko Willink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YjAk_l71Vk

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/lessons-extreme-ownership-jocko-willink-leif-babin-2017-5/

A former Navy SEAL called me out for making excuses, and it changed the way I think about leadership

In early May I had the opportunity to wake up before dawn to go work out with and learn from two former Navy SEAL commanders.

Jocko Willink was the commander of Task Unit Bruiser, the most decorated special operations unit of the Iraq War, and Leif Babin was one of his two platoon commanders. They took what they learned on the battlefield and brought it to the business world with their management consulting firm Echelon Front in 2010. Their 2015 book "Extreme Ownership" became a New York Times bestseller.

I attended their two-day "Muster" conference (they waived the roughly $2,500 fee) along with 435 other people. Though I only attended the first day and the Brazilian jiujitsu session that wrapped up day two, I picked up some valuable insight about leadership. It all came together with brief conversations I had with Willink and Babin after the conference.

"The biggest takeaway that you can have from this is looking yourself in the mirror and thinking, 'Where can I do better?'" Babin told me. "Taking ownership instead of blaming others, finding excuses, or maybe even denying that problems exist ... And a lot of that is about checking your ego."

Babin explained that ego can certainly be an asset - it can be the driver to compete and succeed - but it needs to be kept in check so that it doesn't become a liability.

I saw this in action when I spoke with Willink. He mentioned our email correspondence from weeks prior, and told me he wondered why I hadn't responded to his last message. The truth was, his message required a simple response that I had forgotten to send.

But instead of saying that, I immediately began an explanation of how I had to check in with an editor and wait for an answer and then - Willink stopped me, half-jokingly, and told me I needed to take ownership. It was a minor example but one that proved to me how easy it is to react to a question by making an excuse that deflects responsibility.

Willink has said many times on his podcast that even though he can isolate and teach this concept of "extreme ownership," it's something he will still occasionally fail to practice, and it takes effort to make it an instinct. He's noted that when he does fail to follow his own philosophy - even if for a fleeting moment, the way I did - he's at least trained himself to feel like something's off when he makes a reactionary excuse, so that he can quickly correct it.

"Leadership is hard," Willink told me. "It's a skill. It's a technique." He explained that all of the other Muster attendees and I weren't going to suddenly transform into the ideal leaders because we studied leadership for the whole day, in the same way someone who took a couple guitar lessons couldn't suddenly play like Jimi Hendrix. But he did say that I should focus on the fundamentals and keep them in mind.

"And then you can go back into your world, you can continue to try and develop what you learned, and you can absolutely improve your leadership competency and capability," he said.

My team president said something mean about me! He said I should pass the ball more! Even though EVERYONE says I should pass the ball more. So I'm going to continue to give a flying f**k about any kind of defense. ( Excuses)

I never got enough All Star talent around me! So I'm going to be a ball stopper and kill any kind of offensive cohesion on the team ( Excuses)

I got my team to be better than the less than half of teams that didn't make the playoffs, many of which were INTENTIONALLY LOSING to get a better draft pick. In a gutted Eastern Conference to boot! So why not going ahead and be a coach killer, trash the draft because I wanted Justice Winslow, and drive off any player who dares take the spotlight from me! ( Excuses)

All Melo had to do was take real "ownership" of the situation. No matter what else happened, just play with max effort and put winning first. He didn't but you call him a team player. I'd really like to see what you'd define as someone who was not a team player then. Because I'm not sure a contrast for that kind of ****show could actually exist.

Since you came on this board you have been way off in regards to trade value. - Briggs 7/28/2015
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/31/2017  3:19 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I really thought we were doomed after losing all 6 pres season and 3 start of season. Which wouldve been fine by me but it went the other way--once it does and KP looks really good why not try to improve?

The reality is were not good enough to be great and not bad enough to get a top end pick.

I do think there might be a happy medium where we can draft efficient mature players who are ready to go physically and mentally.

I have no clue what we will look like for free agency.

Its hard to root for them to win now. Id still like to get Willy going.

3 preseason games actually shows a lot of patience... for you
fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
CrushAlot
USA
1/1/2018  8:41 PM
CrushAlot
USA
1/3/2018  12:07 PM
Have to wonder if D'Antoni played Harden too many minutes. Playing him 37 minutes in a preseason blowout victory against the Knicks was over the top at the time.
smackeddog
Member: #883
1/3/2018  3:19 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Have to wonder if D'Antoni played Harden too many minutes. Playing him 37 minutes in a preseason blowout victory against the Knicks was over the top at the time.

Thibs always gets attacked for it, but D’antoni is worse- he ended Kobe’s career (look at the ridiculous mins he was playing him in the games leading up to his Achilles tear)

CrushAlot
USA
1/3/2018  3:49 PM
smackeddog wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Have to wonder if D'Antoni played Harden too many minutes. Playing him 37 minutes in a preseason blowout victory against the Knicks was over the top at the time.

Thibs always gets attacked for it, but D’antoni is worse- he ended Kobe’s career (look at the ridiculous mins he was playing him in the games leading up to his Achilles tear)

I agree. Watching the Kobe game was horrible. He needed to take him out.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 151
Member: #508
USA
1/4/2018  1:40 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

coach don't take Kobe out, Kobe take Kobe out.

Anger sells, don't buy!
CrushAlot
USA
1/4/2018  4:39 PM
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Would Phil have taken him out? How about Riles, Pop, even Jeff?
Nalod
USA
1/5/2018  8:28 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

How abstract it is to say "should have taken him out before the injury". How easy is that.
Only Kobe can answer that.

Anger sells, don't buy!
CrushAlot
USA
1/5/2018  11:45 AM
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

How abstract it is to say "should have taken him out before the injury". How easy is that.
Only Kobe can answer that.

I watched that game. No way he should have been allowed to continue to play. It was one of the worst things that I have ever watched in sports and I am not a Kobe fan.
BRIGGS
1/5/2018  11:57 AM
What an unreal catch by the Rockets with Green--guys playing like an all star--they got him for nothing.
Nalod
USA
1/5/2018  1:26 PM
BRIGGS wrote:What an unreal catch by the Rockets with Green--guys playing like an all star--they got him for nothing.

Right players plugged into the right system!!

Anger sells, don't buy!
Around the NBA 2017-18

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.