[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/23/2017  1:49 PM
Paris907 wrote:This is an expiring contract in a year at 17Mmm and Wily should be better in a year or two. We’ve just freed up $28mm in cap space and I’m fine with it. Brand and Hoodie are history!

To over pay for another avg player, the knicks are suppose to get better though trade, they're suppose to bring in players that make them better.

Then completely contradict yourself 24 hrs ago about how he is going to be in camp monday, then dump him for peanuts and a pretzel..wow

ES
AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

9/23/2017  1:49 PM
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
9/23/2017  1:50 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:

lol, today is official meloshouldgo day. Sept 23rd

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
shinmen
Member: #6029
France
9/23/2017  1:51 PM
We need to trade Kanter and/or KOQ. We have a serious glut at the 5. How are we going to balance playing time at the 4 and 5 between KP, Hernangomez, Kanter,Noah, KOQ, Beasley, Lance?
If we don't act fast, a few of them won't see the floor and their trade value will plummet.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
Kanye on his twitter said he lost 35 pounds this summer. He's now 236
RIP Crushalot😞
y2zipper
Member: #3287

So basically they got more than what Indy got for PG. They pick up a good player, shooting and a pick. It's an okay deal.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
9/23/2017  1:52 PM
reub wrote:Not a great deal for us. But at least the Melo curse is over.

Agree. For all the waiting the deal is kind of crappy.

At least he is gone.

Kantner is ok. McDermott will fit in Jeff’s systems

No 1st pick? Bad!!!

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
9/23/2017  1:55 PM
I like the trade. Kanter is good big man. McDermott is another good piece.

I can see KOQ and CLEE being traded soon now

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/23/2017  1:55 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:"Meh" would be how I would describe this deal.

At least we didnt take on long term garbage. McDermott can shoot the three, Hornacek will like that.

Underwhelmed. Wasnt expecting a deal for Melo in his prime, but doesn't seem like very much for someone who still has enough game to get teams very interested, in spite of his killer contract.

at his age and contract it would be near impossible. The nets were the only team dumb enough to give significant assets for two aging all stars. Melo is basically gonna be the third guy and he would have been the third guy in houston so its really the best we were gonna get

I doubt that a better deal was "near impossible". Said I wasnt expecting a deal for Melo in his prime, but I believe we could have done a little better. At least we didnt take on Ryan Anderson's contract. It wasnt the old Knicks with this deal, but nothing to write home about either.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/23/2017  1:57 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Paris907 wrote:This is an expiring contract in a year at 17Mmm and Wily should be better in a year or two. We’ve just freed up $28mm in cap space and I’m fine with it. Brand and Hoodie are history!

To over pay for another avg player, the knicks are suppose to get better though trade, they're suppose to bring in players that make them better.

Then completely contradict yourself 24 hrs ago about how he is going to be in camp monday, then dump him for peanuts and a pretzel..wow

MEH! It's not that bad really. We all hoped for something more but in reality it's not easy to make this kind of deal at this late date. The Knicks didn't hurt themselves with this deal.

At some point you have to cut your losses and in this deal the Knicks freed themselves of more DRAMA. It was never going to be a sexy return for Melo. Not at this point.

This is a process and the Knicks will no doubt be making more moves down the line. For now they can go into the season with a nice CLEAN SLATE. That has some value to the franchise.

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
9/23/2017  1:58 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Dude. You can only get what the market is offering. Houston was offering an overpaid jump shooting big man. Everyone assumed what Portland would offer, but it was obviously not including a guy like Harmless with it's overpaid big men. Cleveland was offering nothing and the Knicks weren't getting the Nets pick. So they got the best they can get, a young big man that has shown talent and skill (he can definitely score) that can be flipped. This team isn't playing for much, they need to collect TALENT. This deal is better than anything Cleveland would offer. Better than anything Houston could put together. And maybe talent wise in par with Portland, although the pieces may have fit better from Portland.

~You can't run from who you are.~
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/23/2017  2:01 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

At least we didnt take on long term garbage. McDermott can shoot the three, Hornacek will like that.

Underwhelmed. Wasnt expecting a deal for Melo in his prime, but doesn't seem like very much for someone who still has enough game to get teams very interested, in spite of his killer contract.

at his age and contract it would be near impossible. The nets were the only team dumb enough to give significant assets for two aging all stars. Melo is basically gonna be the third guy and he would have been the third guy in houston so its really the best we were gonna get

I doubt that a better deal was "near impossible". Said I wasnt expecting a deal for Melo in his prime, but I believe we could have done a little better. At least we didnt take on Ryan Anderson's contract. It wasnt the old Knicks with this deal, but nothing to write home about either.

i agree its not a terrific deal but we had our hands tied. Limited teams who had very few young assets and picks. The alternative was to keep melo which would cause more drama. Its not like we got crap. Kanter is a pretty good young big man even though defensively he needs to be better. Mcdermott is a player who fits jeffs system. Dont forget the second rounder should be pretty high
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

9/23/2017  2:03 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Remember when someone told you 24 hours ago Perry's blog post meant he didn't expect to win this year?

They are rebuilding, not competing, accept it.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
9/23/2017  2:03 PM
Now that the negative energy is gone, I can finally return to the team. No Phil, no Rose, no Melo. Good riddance all.

Let's not spin this as a great return on this trade. It absolutely is not. We got 30 cents on the dollar back, but we drove down his value and that's what happens.

The Knicks won't have a great team next year, but there's a lot of interesting talent on this team that's 25 and younger, and they should be playing in a wide open system where the best players will earn their playing time without having to sit behind overpaid vets. That alone will make them more fun to watch.

I still think there's a lot of upside to Kanter and even McDermott. McDermott has gotten up and down NBA playing time, but he was a National player of the year and one of the top 5 NCAA scorers of all time. He can shoot the rock and put up some points. Give him a chance!

Now they have to see if they can get rid of Lee and Noah- though I'm not in a rush there, cause I think those guys are actually good vets to have on a young team.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/23/2017  2:04 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Remember when someone told you 24 hours ago Perry's blog post meant he didn't expect to win this year?

he hates rebuilding or building through the draft lol.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

9/23/2017  2:06 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

lol, today is official meloshouldgo day. Sept 23rd

YESSIR!!! ITS CHRISTMAS IN SEPTEMBER!!

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/23/2017  2:07 PM
VDesai wrote:Now that the negative energy is gone, I can finally return to the team. No Phil, no Rose, no Melo. Good riddance all.

Let's not spin this as a great return on this trade. It absolutely is not. We got 30 cents on the dollar back, but we drove down his value and that's what happens.

The Knicks won't have a great team next year, but there's a lot of interesting talent on this team that's 25 and younger, and they should be playing in a wide open system where the best players will earn their playing time without having to sit behind overpaid vets. That alone will make them more fun to watch.

I still think there's a lot of upside to Kanter and even McDermott. McDermott has gotten up and down NBA playing time, but he was a National player of the year and one of the top 5 NCAA scorers of all time. He can shoot the rock and put up some points. Give him a chance!

Now they have to see if they can get rid of Lee and Noah- though I'm not in a rush there, cause I think those guys are actually good vets to have on a young team.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/23/2017  2:08 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

i agree its not a terrific deal but we had our hands tied. Limited teams who had very few young assets and picks. The alternative was to keep melo which would cause more drama. Its not like we got crap. Kanter is a pretty good young big man even though defensively he needs to be better. Mcdermott is a player who fits jeffs system. Dont forget the second rounder should be pretty high

Honestly dont believe Melo staying would have caused drama now that Phil (and the Triangle) are gone and Rambis doesnt have the juice anymore. Melo wanted to get traded to a contender, he knew he could opt out, no incentive to make trouble.

Things happen all the time to teams trying to contend. Injuries, players underproducing, teams needing more firepower. Perry could have held out until the first trade dealine, where some teams might be more willing (or desperate enough) to make a better offer.

Like I said, we didnt take on long term garbage so its not like Im PO'd, just was a bit anti-climatic. LOL.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
totally predictable:

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

StarksEwing1 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

he hates rebuilding or building through the draft lol.

I'm aware.

Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy