OT: Standing for the National Anthem
Page 1 of 10  1  2  3 NextLast »
Topic LOCKED
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/16/2017  8:02 AM
To me the NAtional Anthem is a simple respect of all current and former service members of the military. Those people have tremendous courage and have given millions of lives over 250 years to keep the country safe from foreign opponents. Without them no one here would have a job or safety of a home. It is not a platform to promote an agenda-- there are many other platforms for that. If you don't stand to give a simple thanks for those who have given their lives to provide a better one for you-- it's sad and wrong
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/16/2017  8:14 AM
Imagine being a veteran of war, see action, then you came home and was treated as a second or third class human denied rights as other simply because your black?
Maybe not a veteran, maybe you just understand that young men and women have fought for this "freedom, died for this "Freedom" and you dont feel equal? Maybe you want to scream at the injustice and hypocrisy of it and to the core sick of it you need a voice. Maybe your standing and celebrated by 80,000 fans but yet feel a rage.
Briggs, no you can't.
Why need we do this patriotic display before every game anyway? The armed forces agencies pay the NFL for the big flag and all kinds of war propaganda and we eat this up?

NOt everyone is equal and yet we are asked to stand in unity.

callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

9/16/2017  8:51 AM
BRIGGS wrote:To me the NAtional Anthem is a simple respect of all current and former service members of the military. Those people have tremendous courage and have given millions of lives over 250 years to keep the country safe from foreign opponents. Without them no one here would have a job or safety of a home. It is not a platform to promote an agenda-- there are many other platforms for that. If you don't stand to give a simple thanks for those who have given their lives to provide a better one for you-- it's sad and wrong

thanks for you opinion BRIGGS (did anyone ask? lol)

I agree that it could be considered disrespectful (that's why I would feel awkward doing that). but as a black man in America, there MUST be some changes. I'm cool with protesting but I agree that I wouldn't use the national anthem as an avenue to protest. its like 2 wrongs don't make a right. but I wont condemn anyone who does or doesn't...all I can say is that it would feel weird to me if I did

there u go - that's my 2 cents (not that anyone asked)

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

9/16/2017  9:00 AM
Agree Briggs. It makes me sick when people dont acknowledge or refuse to stand for the national anthem. Its fine if you have issues with the country BUT at least show respect for those who have fought and died to protect the country
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/16/2017  9:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/16/2017  9:08 AM
You are free to interpret it that way, but someone else is free to interpret it as having a broader or different meaning. It's not like the words are "O say, please stand to respect current and former US military members." For the record, I stand but I don't care what other people do. I also realize I can't put myself in someone else's shoes.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
9/16/2017  10:06 AM
BRIGGS wrote:To me the NAtional Anthem is a simple respect of all current and former service members of the military. Those people have tremendous courage and have given millions of lives over 250 years to keep the country safe from foreign opponents. Without them no one here would have a job or safety of a home. It is not a platform to promote an agenda-- there are many other platforms for that. If you don't stand to give a simple thanks for those who have given their lives to provide a better one for you-- it's sad and wrong

I think you are wrong with some of your assumptions.

We should not valorize those who serve above why they serve- which is the freedom we as citizens enjoy.

Service members join because of freedom, and love of country.

Not standing, and kneeling, does not show disrespect to them- it is calling attention to the fact that african americans have yet to achieve the same freedoms as whites.

I am white, and I can put myself into their shoes - or at least, I can in my mind try to imagine what it would be like to be black. What it would be like to have 300 years of oppression weighing against me. There are still people alive who were ok with the idea of Negros having separate services, their own water fountains, bathrooms.

And there are many whites who don't understand this, who feel like - African Americans can vote, go to college, etc. And it's time to get over it.

But that cannot erase the majority of history where blacks were treated as 2nd class citizens, deprived of rights and freedoms, forced into poverty that has lasted multiple generations, deprived their children of any opportunity to realize their potential.

We project our dark selves unto blacks and foreigners. We're still mentally ill as a culture and have a long way to go until we can actually realize what our founding fathers set out to create - a nation of equal free people.

I hope the next time you see a black athlete kneel during the anthem, you'll think twice about why they are kneeling.

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

9/16/2017  10:37 AM
Those uppity Jehovah's Witnesses...

Always causing problems.

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

9/16/2017  11:24 AM
callmened wrote:

thanks for you opinion BRIGGS (did anyone ask? lol)

I think it's a complete coincidence he just happened to start a new thread about yet another thing that black people do that he doesn't like.

dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

9/16/2017  11:40 AM
why is this here and not kinda off topic
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/16/2017  11:48 AM
Sorry Briggs, this is a Prince takeover....

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

9/16/2017  11:59 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:You are free to interpret it that way, but someone else is free to interpret it as having a broader or different meaning. It's not like the words are "O say, please stand to respect current and former US military members." For the record, I stand but I don't care what other people do. I also realize I can't put myself in someone else's shoes.

Thank you. People like Briggs talk about disrespecting veterans and military and others while the entire time he is disrespecting minorities and their opinions. The hypocrisy is almost toxic.
This pompous nationalist horse$hit that positions everyone with a different opinion as unpatriotic is so played out. I stand during the anthem too and I celebrate people who don't.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/16/2017  12:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/16/2017  12:02 PM
Its possible to protest the flag while still showing respect to troops.

Is it possible to understand why people would protest the flag? Especially when it brings attention to social and racial injustice?

Knowing that's why people are protesting, wouldn't it be better to focus on the why rather than only the physical act itself?

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
arkrud
Member: #995
USA
9/16/2017  12:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/16/2017  12:09 PM
The National Anthem represent the country.
Why I would leave in the country I disrespect?
I lived in one that I disrespected for 33 years and then left.
This was a moment of my freedom.
The moment I stop being bipolar.
I do not believe we can change the world - we only can change our-self.
If we cannot and life is not tolerable in some place just move on to another.
The world is home and I am the world. My home is where I am happy.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/16/2017  12:16 PM
dacash wrote:why is this here and not kinda off topic

off-season. During season we'd definitely move this appropriately.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
9/16/2017  12:26 PM
We have all grown up in the US on white controlled narrative. But we are in the information age today. We celebrated Columbus day in the past. Yet after the pubic has gotten access to his personal journal. He has proven to not be worthy of being celebrated.

We also sit here and talk about disrespecting veterans due to the flag.
Yet the nation struggles to provide veterans with
-Affordable health insurance
-Medical care assesibility
-Affordable housing/homeless veterans
-Mental health care
-Faster Disability process

So is it the veterans that people are looking to honor? Or white controlled narrative?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
9/16/2017  12:27 PM
martin wrote:
dacash wrote:why is this here and not kinda off topic

off-season. During season we'd definitely move this appropriately.

We need some more Frank workout videos to keep us on track.

arkrud
Member: #995
USA
9/16/2017  12:34 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:We have all grown up in the US on white controlled narrative. But we are in the information age today. We celebrated Columbus day in the past. Yet after the pubic has gotten access to his personal journal. He has proven to not be worthy of being celebrated.

-Mental health care

So is it the veterans that people are looking to honor? Or white controlled narrative?

The moral values of 21 century apply to Columbus the same way they apply to spiders from Mars.
And so issues with treatment of veterans has nothing to do with the flag and anthem.
Both are symbols of the country we all leave in.
Disrespecting them we simply disrespect ourselves.
This is no white narrative or black narrative - it is American narrative.
This symbols created to bring people together regardless of their differences and using then to pull people apart is counterproductive.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
newyorknewyork
9/16/2017  1:08 PM
arkrud wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:We have all grown up in the US on white controlled narrative. But we are in the information age today. We celebrated Columbus day in the past. Yet after the pubic has gotten access to his personal journal. He has proven to not be worthy of being celebrated.

-Mental health care

The moral values of 21 century apply to Columbus the same way they apply to spiders from Mars.
And so issues with treatment of veterans has nothing to do with the flag and anthem.
Both are symbols of the country we all leave in.
Disrespecting them we simply disrespect ourselves.
This is no white narrative or black narrative - it is American narrative.
This symbols created to bring people together regardless of their differences and using then to pull people apart is counterproductive.

Columbus was still celebrated due to lack of awareness which was the point.
Public made it about veterans when he clearly didn't have issues with veterans. To use as a cover to not address the real issues.
America has been run and controlled by whites since its creation.
If its an American narrative then ALL American history should be told accurately.
I disagree that it has been counter productive.

Issues that Kap has kneeled for have been on going issues for centuries. Lack of justice and lack of accountability. The lack of justice and lack of accountability has lead to the kneeling of the flag which is supposed to represent these things. Cause and effect.

A cop unjustly murdering an American and getting acquitted on all charges is disrespecting the flag and what it stands for.

smackeddog
Member: #883
9/16/2017  1:16 PM

Why do you get to decide for every body what the national anthem means?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/16/2017  1:30 PM
franco12 wrote:

I think you are wrong with some of your assumptions.

We should not valorize those who serve above why they serve- which is the freedom we as citizens enjoy.

Service members join because of freedom, and love of country.

Not standing, and kneeling, does not show disrespect to them- it is calling attention to the fact that african americans have yet to achieve the same freedoms as whites.

I am white, and I can put myself into their shoes - or at least, I can in my mind try to imagine what it would be like to be black. What it would be like to have 300 years of oppression weighing against me. There are still people alive who were ok with the idea of Negros having separate services, their own water fountains, bathrooms.

And there are many whites who don't understand this, who feel like - African Americans can vote, go to college, etc. And it's time to get over it.

But that cannot erase the majority of history where blacks were treated as 2nd class citizens, deprived of rights and freedoms, forced into poverty that has lasted multiple generations, deprived their children of any opportunity to realize their potential.

We project our dark selves unto blacks and foreigners. We're still mentally ill as a culture and have a long way to go until we can actually realize what our founding fathers set out to create - a nation of equal free people.

I hope the next time you see a black athlete kneel during the anthem, you'll think twice about why they are kneeling.

+1000000000000

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Page 1 of 10  1  2  3 NextLast »
Topic LOCKED
OT: Standing for the National Anthem

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy