fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/30/2017  2:09 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Vmart wrote:Hornacek called it like he sees it. KP does play like a Pussy. Besides that KP even acted like one. I played sport when growing up and my coaches would let us know if we were playing weak they had no problem using cuss words. and I never took offense to it. The reason we play sports is to be challenged.

This isnt high school. And the only time Ive seen KP act remotely like a ***** was not calling out Hornacek for this alleged insult. If you don't mind being called a *****, maybe you are one.

well thats point... its supposed to piss the guy off enough he takes that out to the court. I think with young players you can push those buttons. 30+ guys with 10 years in the league... not so much.

KP had a month he didnt average 5 boards a game (I think Jan). He had a very soft stretch. Also there is no context. WE have no clue what the other 1000 conversations that did or didnt take place. Its a bit silly to dissect this stuff when we have like 2% of the picture. Maybe Jeff was right. Maybe KP was. Maybe neither were. This strikes me as stuff both coach/player can grow from. They have the same goals.

You're right about maybe being more to the story. If it is true, having his best friend tell KP that, instead of saying it to his face seemed like adding an insult, to another insult.

Its one thing to tell your team that collectively, but when you send his friend to allegedly tell him that....WTF?

In watching and listening to Jeff over the last year do you believe he would do that? It just doesnt add up, unless there is other context.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Gudris
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6213

8/30/2017  2:27 PM
But this is true, sometimes he is playing like a kitty, he needs to be more aggressive
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/30/2017  3:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/30/2017  3:00 PM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Vmart wrote:Hornacek called it like he sees it. KP does play like a Pussy. Besides that KP even acted like one. I played sport when growing up and my coaches would let us know if we were playing weak they had no problem using cuss words. and I never took offense to it. The reason we play sports is to be challenged.

This isnt high school. And the only time Ive seen KP act remotely like a ***** was not calling out Hornacek for this alleged insult. If you don't mind being called a *****, maybe you are one.

well thats point... its supposed to piss the guy off enough he takes that out to the court. I think with young players you can push those buttons. 30+ guys with 10 years in the league... not so much.

KP had a month he didnt average 5 boards a game (I think Jan). He had a very soft stretch. Also there is no context. WE have no clue what the other 1000 conversations that did or didnt take place. Its a bit silly to dissect this stuff when we have like 2% of the picture. Maybe Jeff was right. Maybe KP was. Maybe neither were. This strikes me as stuff both coach/player can grow from. They have the same goals.

You're right about maybe being more to the story. If it is true, having his best friend tell KP that, instead of saying it to his face seemed like adding an insult, to another insult.

Its one thing to tell your team that collectively, but when you send his friend to allegedly tell him that....WTF?

In watching and listening to Jeff over the last year do you believe he would do that? It just doesnt add up, unless there is other context.

Im surprised too, but Ive read some of his criticisms in interviews, and he did come of as a bit passive aggressive. I think last season brought out the worst in this franchise on many levels. Maybe a reset, a cooling off period, and a whole bunch of new faces, will help the team start on a more positive note.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/30/2017  3:36 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Im surprised too, but Ive read some of his criticisms in interviews, and he did come of as a bit passive aggressive. I think last season brought out the worst in this franchise on many levels. Maybe a reset, a cooling off period, and a whole bunch of new faces, will help the team start on a more positive note.

It could be positional and it could be a coaching shortcoming for Jeff. His success in Pho was mostly guard based. Guards and bigs sometimes value different things. This could be an issue with Jeff. We will see. My only concern is Jeff is a lame duck. I hope the Princeton crew believes in him or he's got no chance here and its another year of circus BS.

Stuff is interesting!

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
GustavBahler

8/30/2017  3:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/30/2017  3:58 PM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

It could be positional and it could be a coaching shortcoming for Jeff. His success in Pho was mostly guard based. Guards and bigs sometimes value different things. This could be an issue with Jeff. We will see. My only concern is Jeff is a lame duck. I hope the Princeton crew believes in him or he's got no chance here and its another year of circus BS.

Stuff is interesting!

I believe Jeff's biggest mistake was not giving enough weight to the fact that KP was playing with a starting PG with the worst assist rate in the league, and a new wingman (who couldn't stay healthy) It was clearly going to make things more difficult. Especially for a player entering his sophomore year.

Tactically, I think Jeff has what it takes, but personality wise Hornacek needs to remember what its like to be a player in a lousy situation.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/30/2017  4:27 PM
anrst wrote:must be a leak from phil
I agree. Also, this isn't new news. Bondy wrote an article about Jeff yelling at KP more than other players and this causing a rift last year. The stuff about KP parking in spaces reserved for management is new though. Rondo did that in Dallas, parking in Carlisle's reserved spot. That is a bit troubling. I have been posting for awhile that I thought there were issues between KP and Jeff. KP doesn't skip an exit meeting with his coach, Phil and Mills if he respects and is happy with his coach no matter what is going on with management. I wish the Knicks cleaned house with the coaching staff. Bringing everyone back except for Longstaff does not seem like away to smooth things over and fix what was wrong with the locker room. Also, most of the players are returning so without changes will there be a with the locker room?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
8/30/2017  4:27 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

let's remember who the messenger is.... I'm not about to argue about a article written by Peter Vescey

Fair Enough

Bondy wrote an article about this last spring. Vecsey just added more details.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/30/2017  4:31 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Stuff is interesting!

I believe Jeff's biggest mistake was not giving enough weight to the fact that KP was playing with a starting PG with the worst assist rate in the league, and a new wingman (who couldn't stay healthy) It was clearly going to make things more difficult. Especially for a player entering his sophomore year.

Tactically, I think Jeff has what it takes, but personality wise Hornacek needs to remember what its like to be a player in a lousy situation.

Jeff played for possibly the MOST hard ass Coach of all time. Sloan was WAY tougher and nastier than that. Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Rick Carlisle, Thibs and Popovich all get in their players faces and say some tough Ish! If this is true KP needs to not be so sensitive and MAN THE F UP! I don't wanna read about this kind of crap. If a coach is telling you the truth and trying to motivate you then you have to accept it and use it to show the coach he's wrong.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/30/2017  4:36 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
I agree. Also, this isn't new news. Bondy wrote an article about Jeff yelling at KP more than other players and this causing a rift last year. The stuff about KP parking in spaces reserved for management is new though. Rondo did that in Dallas, parking in Carlisle's reserved spot. That is a bit troubling. I have been posting for awhile that I thought there were issues between KP and Jeff. KP doesn't skip an exit meeting with his coach, Phil and Mills if he respects and is happy with his coach no matter what is going on with management. I wish the Knicks cleaned house with the coaching staff. Bringing everyone back except for Longstaff does not seem like away to smooth things over and fix what was wrong with the locker room. Also, most of the players are returning so without changes will there be a with the locker room?

I think we should Made Longstaff head coach the way you have connected his importance.
I'd say if we take things on face value then KP was very immature about his reaction to "Kitty Play". If so, we got diva problems with the kid.
Is it awful that maybe "Kitty" and other things build up and he got overwhelmed the enormity of his life in the NBA, physical demands, social demands, financial considerations, and dealing with pro coach's (Coach's with rough language? The horrors!!)could have all added up and the kid could not handle it.
I can live with that, as long as he grows from it.

"Save Longstaff"

GustavBahler

8/30/2017  4:38 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Stuff is interesting!

Jeff played for possibly the MOST hard ass Coach of all time. Sloan was WAY tougher and nastier than that. Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Rick Carlisle, Thibs and Popovich all get in their players faces and say some tough Ish! If this is true KP needs to not be so sensitive and MAN THE F UP! I don't wanna read about this kind of crap. If a coach is telling you the truth and trying to motivate you then you have to accept it and use it to show the coach he's wrong.

You have a coach singling you out when your starting PG is getting a pass for being the biggest ball hog in the league, and going Awol. You talk tough with the 2nd year player, but you bend over for the Triangle. This is nothing like Sloan. Awful, awful comparison.

Nalod
USA
8/30/2017  4:39 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Stuff is interesting!

Interesting point about Sloan. Larry Brown expected that if you were a paid professional then you should act as such.
These young kids like D'angelo Russell and Oka4 all have had some bumps regarding maturity. KP has really done quite well, but this is not easy stuff.

As a kid I sat behind (Go ahead JROD, you gonna love this) the NEts bench in the old Island Garden with Rick Barry played for them and Lou Carnasecca coached them.
My dad held my ears becasue this man was so foul mouthed!!!!
Old school guys were rough.

Nalod
USA
8/30/2017  4:46 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Stuff is interesting!

You have a coach singling you out when your starting PG is getting a pass for being the biggest ball hog in the league, and going Awol. You talk tough with the 2nd year player, but you bend over for the Triangle. This is nothing like Sloan. Awful, awful comparison.

We don't know the full extent of any of this. The point was Sloan would tear his players a new one verbally.
Back in the day coach had more control. If a coach was under pressure to win he would make plyaers life miserable. Now you get rid of a coach quicker because players tune you out more, and its more of a players league.

Rose and Melo are veterans. They are who they are, If KP was not adhering to instructions then its a rif. Depends on what the coach is asking. Was Jeff asking Melo do do something? Rose? And like I said, how many instances we talking about? Did they want KP to stop raining threes from 40 feet away?

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

8/30/2017  4:55 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:He does need to stop playing like a *****. One day he needs to be our starting 5. That doesn't happen if he's constantly floating on the wing. Kinda of like how Melo would have been so much better if he was forced to play at PF

So the one word you would use to sum up KP's game is "Pussy" ? You guys are something else. He needs to work on his post game, doesn't make KP a *****. Didn't see KP back down from anyone who tried to get in his grill.

"Pussy" implies cowardice. I dont see KP being that type of player, but apparently you do. Wow.

It has begun. The losers with nothing going for themselves have found something to pick on in KP. Haters are awesome. Kid is a 7 foot player with great defensive intuition and a SG's outside jumper. But he doesnt play like Shaq. Aawww. Porr haters cant get everyhting. THey better stick to their video games. And pizza delivery jobs.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GustavBahler

8/30/2017  4:58 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Stuff is interesting!

We don't know the full extent of any of this. The point was Sloan would tear his players a new one verbally.
Back in the day coach had more control. If a coach was under pressure to win he would make plyaers life miserable. Now you get rid of a coach quicker because players tune you out more, and its more of a players league.

Rose and Melo are veterans. They are who they are, If KP was not adhering to instructions then its a rif. Depends on what the coach is asking. Was Jeff asking Melo do do something? Rose? And like I said, how many instances we talking about? Did they want KP to stop raining threes from 40 feet away?

We do know that Rose skated for his play and his absence. Don't believe thats in doubt. All that roster shuffling did nothing but make things worse, and KP still got better. Doesnt sound weak to me. Didn't hear any complaints about KP's effort his rookie year. I believe the person who has more of a track record with the team.

Sloan would never ever let Rose get away with any of the stuff he did on or off the court. Thats why players took the abuse, he was fair. Any player who saw that enormous double standard would react the same way.

If Hornacek wanted to establish toughness on the team, he should have started by standing up to Phil and demanding to be allowed to try his own system. That would have gotten the player's attention.

GustavBahler

8/30/2017  5:03 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:He does need to stop playing like a *****. One day he needs to be our starting 5. That doesn't happen if he's constantly floating on the wing. Kinda of like how Melo would have been so much better if he was forced to play at PF

So the one word you would use to sum up KP's game is "Pussy" ? You guys are something else. He needs to work on his post game, doesn't make KP a *****. Didn't see KP back down from anyone who tried to get in his grill.

"Pussy" implies cowardice. I dont see KP being that type of player, but apparently you do. Wow.

It has begun. The losers with nothing going for themselves have found something to pick on in KP. Haters are awesome. Kid is a 7 foot player with great defensive intuition and a SG's outside jumper. But he doesnt play like Shaq. Aawww. Porr haters cant get everyhting. THey better stick to their video games. And pizza delivery jobs.

No ill will towards Supreme. Just disagree with his choice of words considering what KP has shown as a player to date, and the f'ed up situation last season.

nixluva
USA
8/30/2017  5:08 PM
Popovich

SAN ANTONIO — Gregg Popovich arrived at Tim Duncan's jersey retirement ceremony well prepared. In his suit coat pocket were several tissues, folded neatly, just in case.

The San Antonio Spurs coach nearly needed them when he expressed 20 years' worth of gratitude for what he understands was the singular trait that made Duncan one of the greatest leaders in the history of basketball.

Popovich coaches hard, from the top of the roster to the bottom. And it helps to have a certain kind of team leader when you demand perfection, often at full volume.

In David Robinson, he had a fellow military academy graduate who understood command structure. In Duncan, he discovered a humble superstar, without ego or hint of attitude, willing to be an example for every teammate.

Trying to explain this to a sellout crowd at the Sunday ceremony at the AT&T Center that followed the Spurs' 113-100 win over the New Orleans Pelicans nearly brought Popovich's emotions to the surface.

"If your superstar can take a little hit now and then, everybody else can shut the hell up and fall in line," Popovich said, and then it was clear he felt his throat starting to tighten. He paused, a long delay, then stamped his foot.

Turning to look directly at Duncan, Popovich finally was able to continue.

"So, thank you for letting me coach you, Timmy," Popovich said. "I'm really thankful because you allowed me to coach the team."

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2682681-gregg-popovich-and-spurs-stars-recall-tim-duncans-exemplary-career.amp.html
CrushAlot
USA
8/30/2017  5:09 PM
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I think we should Made Longstaff head coach the way you have connected his importance.
I'd say if we take things on face value then KP was very immature about his reaction to "Kitty Play". If so, we got diva problems with the kid.
Is it awful that maybe "Kitty" and other things build up and he got overwhelmed the enormity of his life in the NBA, physical demands, social demands, financial considerations, and dealing with pro coach's (Coach's with rough language? The horrors!!)could have all added up and the kid could not handle it.
I can live with that, as long as he grows from it.

"Save Longstaff"

Maybe it is all on KP. Except that the situation was so messed up last year it is hard to just dismiss all of the sh@t that happened to the team as just one player's youth and immaturity. If that works for you go for it.
GustavBahler

8/30/2017  5:18 PM
nixluva wrote:Popovich

SAN ANTONIO — Gregg Popovich arrived at Tim Duncan's jersey retirement ceremony well prepared. In his suit coat pocket were several tissues, folded neatly, just in case.

The San Antonio Spurs coach nearly needed them when he expressed 20 years' worth of gratitude for what he understands was the singular trait that made Duncan one of the greatest leaders in the history of basketball.

Popovich coaches hard, from the top of the roster to the bottom. And it helps to have a certain kind of team leader when you demand perfection, often at full volume.

In David Robinson, he had a fellow military academy graduate who understood command structure. In Duncan, he discovered a humble superstar, without ego or hint of attitude, willing to be an example for every teammate.

Trying to explain this to a sellout crowd at the Sunday ceremony at the AT&T Center that followed the Spurs' 113-100 win over the New Orleans Pelicans nearly brought Popovich's emotions to the surface.

"If your superstar can take a little hit now and then, everybody else can shut the hell up and fall in line," Popovich said, and then it was clear he felt his throat starting to tighten. He paused, a long delay, then stamped his foot.

"So, thank you for letting me coach you, Timmy," Popovich said. "I'm really thankful because you allowed me to coach the team."

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2682681-gregg-popovich-and-spurs-stars-recall-tim-duncans-exemplary-career.amp.html

You are missing the point. The only superstar on that team last season was former MVP Rose, and he was playing like there wasnt anyone else on the team most of the time. Popovich would never have become the coach he became, earn respect not just nationally but internationally, if he had singled out Duncan, and let Tony Parker play the way Rose did. Would never have happened. Completely different situation

I believe if Hornacek had established himself as a coach who doesnt take any BS on the court from ANY player, Porzingis would have taken the heat like everyone else.

nixluva
USA
8/30/2017  5:27 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

You are missing the point. The only superstar on that team last season was former MVP Rose, and he was playing like there wasnt anyone else on the team most of the time. Popovich would never have become the coach he became, earn respect not just nationally but internationally, if he had singled out Duncan, and let Tony Parker play the way Rose did. Would never have happened. Completely different situation

I believe if Hornacek had established himself as a coach who doesnt take any BS on the court from ANY player, Porzingis would have taken the heat like everyone else.

Don't give me DRose who was on an expiring contract. KP is the future of the franchise and needs to take that role seriously and accept that extra attention from the coach!!! I wasn't at every practice but I can't imagine Jeff only had words for KP! Was Jeff just silent all practice and never said anything about anyone else messing up? I doubt that. Players can't be thin skinned like that. KP ESPECIALLY has to know he's a top player and will be the face of the franchise!

CrushAlot
USA
8/30/2017  5:36 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

I think you are right. Bondy and now Vescey have written about this happening.
Vecsey: Porzingis Skipped Exit Meeting Due To Feud With Hornacek

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy